Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3448179 times)

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #41960 on: March 4, 2016, 04:32:17 pm »
Anyone know if Road Games (2015) is any good?
Obviously all the makers and crew have voted on it at IMDB and RT so it sounds great and has rave reviews, but anyone seen it, any good?

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41961 on: March 4, 2016, 04:33:20 pm »

That was quick! I haven't seen Kill List actually (or even heard of it), I'll definitely check that out.

Ghost World is already on my list but there's a few others there that look pretty good so I'll add those too (I've got a lot of movies to get through now).

I love this film, one of my favourites for sure.
Just a great film, so understated and a great cast and just really gets to me.

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #41962 on: March 4, 2016, 04:35:25 pm »
Fanny! ::) :o ;) ;D 8) :wave

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41963 on: March 4, 2016, 04:46:52 pm »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41964 on: March 4, 2016, 04:54:19 pm »

I'm sure it's been on various 'to watch' lists of mine for about 5 years now but I've never actually given it a go. I think I'll watch it this weekend now just to finally tick that one off (and enjoy it along the way hopefully).

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41965 on: March 4, 2016, 05:58:23 pm »
That was quick! I haven't seen Kill List actually (or even heard of it), I'll definitely check that out.

Try not to find out too much what it's about as it's much better that way.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41966 on: March 4, 2016, 06:12:04 pm »
Try not to find out too much what it's about as it's much better that way.

Yeah I try to do that with smaller movies, I watched The Lobster and Room recently with no idea about either and they were much better for it.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41967 on: March 4, 2016, 11:13:01 pm »
Any new movie suggestions along the lines of Wild Tales, Her and The Lobster (people being weird/quirky and at times violent)?
Not exactly new and maybe you have already seen it, but you should probably check ''Kynodontas'' (Dogtooth), the previous film from The Lobster director. It fits your description perfectly. ''The Skin I live in'' is another one.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41968 on: March 4, 2016, 11:44:58 pm »
Not exactly new and maybe you have already seen it, but you should probably check ''Kynodontas'' (Dogtooth), the previous film from The Lobster director. It fits your description perfectly. ''The Skin I live in'' is another one.
I would violently disagree with that. I think Dogtooth is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure to watch.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41969 on: March 4, 2016, 11:50:48 pm »

I loved The Skin I Live In, it's rare for a film with so little violence to make you feel so damn uncomfortable.

I would violently disagree with that. I think Dogtooth is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure to watch.

Hmm, RT seems to disagree but then the reviewers there can be a bit generous with lesser known movies. I might give it a go anyway as I'm always happy to find a film that isn't over two hours long, they seem like a rarity these days.

I watched Ghost World earlier, started quite slowly and the first 45 minutes felt very long but after that I really enjoyed it.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41970 on: March 4, 2016, 11:52:38 pm »
I really liked it, but even if I haven't, what part of "people being weird/quirky and at times violent?" doesn't it fit? You just don't like reading subtitles, be honest Titi ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41971 on: March 4, 2016, 11:56:16 pm »
Hmm, RT seems to disagree but then the reviewers there can be a bit generous with lesser known movies. I might give it a go anyway as I'm always happy to find a film that isn't over two hours long, they seem like a rarity these days.
Art is like life, what to some people is a rosy capsule full of life and wonder, to others is a dog's dick. Good luck ::) ;) :o ;D :lickin :wave
« Last Edit: March 5, 2016, 12:11:05 am by Titi Camara »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41972 on: March 5, 2016, 12:01:03 am »
Was thinking about worse films I've seen, in no particular order: Noah, Under the skin, balls of fury and one of the McGregor star war films. Utter rubbish.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41973 on: March 5, 2016, 12:02:24 am »
Was thinking about worse films I've seen, in no particular order: Noah, Under the skin, balls of fury and one of the McGregor star war films.
Heresy, it's a modern masterpiece.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41974 on: March 5, 2016, 12:05:52 am »
I really liked it, but even if I haven't, what part of "people being weird/quirky and at times violent?" doesn't it fit? You just don't like reading subtitles, be honest Titi ;D
I just tried the Netflix follow up to Crouching Tiger....

I could write loads about how it lacked weight due to green screen, the absence of patience in the script and direction, the lack of ambience or the failure to observe the yin/yang delicate nature of it's predecessor but.....

The key thing that reduces it's authenticity to zero is the lack of mandarin dialogue.

Love subtitles me! I just really disliked Dogtooth. I do however agree that it fulfilled the brief but then so does The Room but no one will be recommending that!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41975 on: March 5, 2016, 12:09:23 am »
Was thinking about worse films I've seen, in no particular order: Noah, Under the skin, balls of fury and one of the McGregor star war films. Utter rubbish.
I enjoyed Noah, I understand others didn't but Under the Skin was a masterpiece, it will win out the test of time.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41976 on: March 5, 2016, 12:09:50 am »
Heresy, it's a modern masterpiece.
Awful and I like Scarlett Johansson alot. Terrible movie.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41977 on: March 5, 2016, 12:11:59 am »
I enjoyed Noah, I understand others didn't but Under the Skin was a masterpiece, it will win out the test of time.
Stopped Noah twenty minutes in, it was that bad.

Under the skin - "script" was non existent and was a struggle to watch.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41978 on: March 5, 2016, 12:12:30 am »
Awful and I like Scarlett Johansson alot. Terrible movie.
Is what makes movies great. They generate opinion and debate. :wave

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41979 on: March 5, 2016, 12:16:15 am »
Is what makes movies great. They generate opinion and debate. :wave
Indeed :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41980 on: March 5, 2016, 12:16:25 am »
Stopped Noah twenty minutes in, it was that bad.

Under the skin - "script" was non existent and was a struggle to watch.
As far as Noah goes, I'm a bit of a fan boy and seriously don't expect people to be on board with that one. I see the flaws but love it anyway.

Under the Skin was a masterpiece - up there with Bladerunner for me, I accept that won't be everyone's opinion but again that's part of what makes film interesting. One of the best Sci-fi films of the past decade along with Ex-Machina!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41981 on: March 5, 2016, 12:20:43 am »
As far as Noah goes, I'm a bit of a fan boy and seriously don't expect people to be on board with that one. I see the flaws but love it anyway.

Under the Skin was a masterpiece - up there with Bladerunner for me, I accept that won't be everyone's opinion but again that's part of what makes film interesting. One of the best Sci-fi films of the past decade along with Ex-Machina!
Ex Machina much better imo. Each to their own as you say though :)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41982 on: March 5, 2016, 12:23:15 am »
Ex Machina much better imo. Each to their own as you say though :)
Do you think films/entertainment have to have narrative?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41983 on: March 5, 2016, 12:30:47 am »
I just tried the Netflix follow up to Crouching Tiger....

I could write loads about how it lacked weight due to green screen, the absence of patience in the script and direction, the lack of ambience or the failure to observe the yin/yang delicate nature of it's predecessor but.....

The key thing that reduces it's authenticity to zero is the lack of mandarin dialogue.

Love subtitles me! I just really disliked Dogtooth. I do however agree that it fulfilled the brief but then so does The Room but no one will be recommending that!
Wasn't being serious with the subtitles part, I just find it weird that you enjoyed The Lobster but hated Dogtooth.

Agree with what you wrote about Crouching Tiger follow up though. One of the reasons War Horse is probably one of the my most hated movies of all times, besides the extremely heavy handed intent of emotional manipulation by score, dialogue and cinematography, was that that no mater what nationality they were or who they were talking with, they all spoke in english, but you know with accents; So that the people they consider too stupid/lazy to read the subtitles of two German soldiers talking, know they're not British or American. It really annoyed me beyond belief.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41984 on: March 5, 2016, 12:47:04 am »
I just find it weird that you enjoyed The Lobster but hated Dogtooth.
I agree it's a difficult one to explain but I think part of it is due to absurdity.

The Lobster was absurd and it revelled in it, Dogtooth was not, at least in my opinion. The Lobster laughed at the absurdity of modern mating, their was a point to the humour, you could relate.

I see no humour in a patriarchal figure holding his family hostage and forcing his children to fuck. Nor any entertainment value.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41985 on: March 5, 2016, 12:47:43 am »
About Under the Skin, I'm pretty much with Titi on this. I loved everything about it and consider it a masterpiece, something I don't really say a lot. But I can totally understand why people that enjoy a more narrative oriented movie would hate it, it's all in the subtext. It's a movie that asks a lot of the watcher, there is next to no dialogue to guide you through, but that's one of the reasons I loved it; You just don't watch it to be passively entertained, you have to be involved and aware of what you see, and then everything makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2016, 12:49:43 am by Lastrador »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41986 on: March 5, 2016, 12:58:37 am »
guerilla filming.....................

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41987 on: March 5, 2016, 01:12:38 am »
In fact, The Idiots, is a far superior film to, Dogtooth, in every aspect. Not that I'd particularly advocate watching either!

Watch Upstream Colour or Kill List instead and compensate the worth of a pig! ::) ;) ;D :wave

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41988 on: March 5, 2016, 01:22:51 am »
I agree it's a difficult one to explain but I think part of it is due to absurdity.

The Lobster was absurd and it revelled in it, Dogtooth was not, at least in my opinion. The Lobster laughed at the absurdity of modern mating, their was a point to the humour, you could relate.

I see no humour in a patriarchal figure holding his family hostage and forcing his children to fuck. Nor any entertainment value.
Yeah, The Lobster is a lot more absurd, probably because of the dystopian setting, but I think you would find a lot of social satire in Dogtooth too, about how people in positions of ''autorithy'' abuse that power, and the people who follow the orders of those in charge. It  gave me a Stanford Prison Experiment kind of vibe, with black pitch humor and a family oriented setting.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2016, 01:41:09 am by Lastrador »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41989 on: March 5, 2016, 01:46:48 am »
Yeah, The Lobster is a lot more absurd, probably because of the dystopian setting, but I think you would find a lot of social satire in Dogtooth too, about how people in positions of ''autorithy'' abuse that power, and the people who follow the orders of those in charge. It  gave me a Stanford Prison Experiment kind of vibe, with black pitch humor and a family oriented setting.
It's funny, or not, the only constant we take into every film is ourselves..............and even that's changeable. I'd like to write a less emotive and a more intelligent response but I'm drunk and it's late..........I just hated Dogtooth and I think it has zero artistic merit. I hope someone burns the original print. :lickin

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41990 on: March 5, 2016, 01:51:27 am »
It's funny, or not, the only constant we take into every film is ourselves..............and even that's changeable. I'd like to write a less emotive and a more intelligent response but I'm drunk and it's late..........I just hated Dogtooth and I think it has zero artistic merit. I hope someone burns the original print. :lickin
That seems fair  ;D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41991 on: March 5, 2016, 01:57:05 am »
Under The Skin is a very clever film. The underlying messages it has are subtle. It doesn't explain itself. It just lets the visuals and the soundtrack tell the story and then leaves it up to the viewer to trying and figure it out. It's a very rare kind of film to do that. It belongs up there with 2001, Blade Runner, and even some pulp sci fi, classics like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It's amazing how it just got totally brushed over and got nominated for no awards at all. Just goes to show that the Oscars are full of shit when a masterpiece like this gets totally ignored.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41992 on: March 5, 2016, 07:37:43 am »
Yeah Under the Skin was absolutely amazing, one of my favourites.
Totally unique and an incredibly immersive film.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41993 on: March 5, 2016, 09:17:28 am »

You've gone awfully down in my estimation there Titi
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #41994 on: March 5, 2016, 09:22:41 am »
The beauty of 'Under the Skin' is that there will never be anyone who says it was 'alright'. Hugely polarising, but an absolutely wonderful piece of art. I can't recall a score that was so visceral; fitting the tone of the move brilliantly. Can't wait for the sequel  ;)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #41995 on: March 5, 2016, 09:49:55 am »
Watched The Secret In Their Eyes (2009) the other day. Really good film that. Some powerful scenes there and that ending, despite slightly predictable, oh man. Just beautiful.

PS: Was checking afterwards the latest TAW podcasts and saw a new one called "Well watched" and the guys review that film! :)
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41996 on: March 5, 2016, 11:20:28 am »
Do you think films/entertainment have to have narrative?
Don't think so?

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41997 on: March 5, 2016, 06:18:56 pm »
One of the best Sci-fi films of the past decade along with Ex-Machina!
I'm late to the party. I just saw Ex Machina. What a fantastic film! I wasn't expecting it to be so good. One of my favorite movies of the last few years.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #41998 on: March 5, 2016, 11:16:24 pm »
Watched a few films recently

Foxcatcher - Very good but a little bit annoying how all the characters can be so bad at communicating with one another.

Nightcrawler - Very very good, great character played by Jake Gyllenhaal. Absolutely hated the guy.

Trainwreck - Funny to start with, got less funny and more chick flicky as it went on. Worth a watch as a couple but my other half fell asleep about 10 minutes in!

Requiem for a Dream - Didn't know anything about it (didn't even know it was about drugs) until I put it on, was pleasantly surprised by it. Felt very grim at the end.

All films worth watching :)
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41999 on: March 5, 2016, 11:49:57 pm »
Watched a few films recently

Foxcatcher - Very good but a little bit annoying how all the characters can be so bad at communicating with one another.

Nightcrawler - Very very good, great character played by Jake Gyllenhaal. Absolutely hated the guy.

Trainwreck - Funny to start with, got less funny and more chick flicky as it went on. Worth a watch as a couple but my other half fell asleep about 10 minutes in!

Requiem for a Dream - Didn't know anything about it (didn't even know it was about drugs) until I put it on, was pleasantly surprised by it. Felt very grim at the end.

All films worth watching :)

What? Youd never heard of Requiem for a Dream?