Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12264131 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101680 on: July 7, 2020, 03:43:15 pm »
Lewis has had some bad luck with injuries so hopefully he does get a loan and a chance to show he’s ready for senior football. I wouldnt be surprised if Millar and Gallacher are moved on permanently this summer.

It wasn't that long ago that a lot of good stuff was being said about Lewis, but  he's had rotten luck since then, he's a left back too which would be useful but I'm not sure if he will stay here long-term now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Tuco Ramírez

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #101681 on: July 8, 2020, 12:24:50 pm »
I think Curtis Jones will get a lot of playing time as the backup left forward, next season... but Layton Stewart  is the most natural and best fit for that position  longer term. He's fast, a Goalscorer and has good link up play,  he seems to have the best skillset of  all our young forwards to transition  to the first team.

With James Norris, I think he will shine once he is giving a proper chance,  and could be our answer for a backup to Robbo.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101682 on: July 8, 2020, 03:06:50 pm »
I think Curtis Jones will get a lot of playing time as the backup left forward, next season... but Layton Stewart  is the most natural and best fit for that position  longer term. He's fast, a Goalscorer and has good link up play,  he seems to have the best skillset of  all our young forwards to transition  to the first team.

With James Norris, I think he will shine once he is giving a proper chance,  and could be our answer for a backup to Robbo.

It is interesting that we had Stewart drifting in from the left quite a bit last season, even though he lined up centrally to start and has been a ‘classic #9’. I agree with you on his skill set, I think he could excel coming in from the left. More of a left sided Salah than a Mane, in that he’s more likely to run in behind the defence and be a finisher right now. He showed a lot of development in his overall game this past season though. I’m excited to see what’s next for him.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101683 on: July 8, 2020, 03:23:55 pm »
It is interesting that we had Stewart drifting in from the left quite a bit last season, even though he lined up centrally to start and has been a ‘classic #9’. I agree with you on his skill set, I think he could excel coming in from the left. More of a left sided Salah than a Mane, in that he’s more likely to run in behind the defence and be a finisher right now. He showed a lot of development in his overall game this past season though. I’m excited to see what’s next for him.

Hadn't he only just moved up to the u18's this season, he certainly hasn't been in that team for long. It his goal scoring that really caught my eye, he scores some beauties, I think he had two goals in the goal of the month in January and both of them were stunners.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101684 on: July 8, 2020, 03:32:14 pm »
Hadn't he only just moved up to the u18's this season, he certainly hasn't been in that team for long. It his goal scoring that really caught my eye, he scores some beauties, I think he had two goals in the goal of the month in January and both of them were stunners.
Yup, last year was his first full season as a u18 player. He’s been highly touted as the ‘one to watch’, ‘next in line’, ‘insert cliche here’ etc for a couple of years though. He does have a real goal scorers instinct- the timing of his runs, variety of finishes etc. Excited to see him back in action, probably going to see some more time with the u23s as well.

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #101685 on: July 10, 2020, 10:06:59 am »
Love that from Klopp.. Just nailed Everton in one blow. Young lads join us because we want a team full of scousers.

Wonder if he was hinting at signing this lad! He's class act Joe Gelhardt and from Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_aZ-Ob4JQ

Looks like a skilled version of Bobby Duncan.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101686 on: July 10, 2020, 10:48:50 pm »
Love that from Klopp.. Just nailed Everton in one blow. Young lads join us because we want a team full of scousers.

Wonder if he was hinting at signing this lad! He's class act Joe Gelhardt and from Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_aZ-Ob4JQ
He looks an average player based on this video, especially considering this is meant to be a highlights video. Looks very slow also. But that's just based off the video. Haven't seen him play.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101687 on: July 10, 2020, 10:50:49 pm »
Looks like a skilled version of Bobby Duncan.
Reminded me more of Woodburn.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101688 on: July 13, 2020, 03:40:27 pm »
In his column in The Athletic today, David Ornstein says that the Premier League and FA are close to agreement on homegrown player quotas post-Brexit and among the changes coming, English clubs will no longer be able to sign players below the age of 18 from EU countries. Both sides want to settle on an agreement in time for the upcoming transfer window, which will be the last one under the existing rules.

Makes me wonder whether we might focus on pushing through deals for youngsters we're interested in from other European countries this summer - I know we've been linked with Sepp van den Berg's younger brother and a winger from Hoffenheim, among others.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101689 on: July 13, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »
In his column in The Athletic today, David Ornstein says that the Premier League and FA are close to agreement on homegrown player quotas post-Brexit and among the changes coming, English clubs will no longer be able to sign players below the age of 18 from EU countries. Both sides want to settle on an agreement in time for the upcoming transfer window, which will be the last one under the existing rules.

Makes me wonder whether we might focus on pushing through deals for youngsters we're interested in from other European countries this summer - I know we've been linked with Sepp van den Berg's younger brother and a winger from Hoffenheim, among others.

Interesting, does anyone know the following:

Why wouldn't U18 players from the EU not qualify as professional sportsmen for being "skilled"migrants?
Will it be easier to get players from South America/Africa to come direct to England?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101690 on: July 13, 2020, 05:11:27 pm »
I am made up for the lad after all struggle with injuries.

Adam Lewis signs new long-term contract with Liverpool FC

Adam Lewis has committed his future to Liverpool FC by signing a new long-term contract with the club.

The 20-year-old Scouser made his first-team debut in February when he started the FA Cup fourth-round replay win over Shrewsbury Town at Anfield.

That was due reward for several hard months of rehabilitation as he battled back from a knee injury sustained with the U23s last September.

Lewis was a member of the first team’s USA pre-season tour party last summer and played against the likes of Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla.

A former winger and midfielder, Lewis has settled into a left-back role over the last few seasons. His delivery from out wide has been a notable asset while his left foot has become a valuable weapon at set-pieces.

Lewis has been with the Reds since U6 level, progressed to captain the U18s under Steven Gerrard, and is an England U20 international.

He regularly trains with the first team at Melwood.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/401873-adam-lewis-signs-new-contract-liverpool-fc

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101691 on: July 13, 2020, 05:12:29 pm »

I would hope this is something we pursue this summer, if it is indeed the last year it will be possible under the new rules.
It has been a significant part of our academy recruitment- Larouci, Hoever, Van den Berg, Koumetio, to name just a few recent examples. Hopefully we get a few over the line this summer as well.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101692 on: July 13, 2020, 05:31:43 pm »

Adam Lewis has committed his future to Liverpool FC by signing a new long-term contract with the club.

The 20-year-old Scouser made his first-team debut in February when he started the FA Cup fourth-round replay win over Shrewsbury Town at Anfield.

That was due reward for several hard months of rehabilitation as he battled back from a knee injury sustained with the U23s last September.

Lewis was a member of the first team’s USA pre-season tour party last summer and played against the likes of Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla.

A former winger and midfielder, Lewis has settled into a left-back role over the last few seasons. His delivery from out wide has been a notable asset while his left foot has become a valuable weapon at set-pieces.

Lewis has been with the Reds since U6 level, progressed to captain the U18s under Steven Gerrard, and is an England U20 international.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/401873-adam-lewis-signs-new-contract-liverpool-fc

great news. Left footers are rare and we have one in our ranks hopefully back up for robbo. Whats the situation with larouchi?

I do rate him higher to lewis due to his physicality but lewis does seem to have a more cultured left foot.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101693 on: July 13, 2020, 07:43:25 pm »

Was there anything about restrictions on uk u18s going abroard?

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101694 on: July 13, 2020, 08:06:37 pm »
Was there anything about restrictions on uk u18s going abroard?

No mention of that - I hadn't thought about it from that perspective.

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #101695 on: July 15, 2020, 01:15:28 pm »

A bit surprised at this to be honest, didn't Lewis sign a contract last year keeping him at the club for a few years? Maybe it's about rewarding him, and I do value Lewis, but considering his season it's a bit surprising to me.

He's surely going out for a loan next season right? That would be good for him.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101696 on: July 15, 2020, 02:10:50 pm »
A bit surprised at this to be honest, didn't Lewis sign a contract last year keeping him at the club for a few years? Maybe it's about rewarding him, and I do value Lewis, but considering his season it's a bit surprising to me.

He's surely going out for a loan next season right? That would be good for him.
I’d say he’s nailed on for a loan yeah, bad luck with injuries lately and needs a chance to prove himself at senior level. Blackpool to play for Critch?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101697 on: July 16, 2020, 01:07:42 pm »
Various reports saying Yasser Larouci will leave this summer, with talks already held with both Leeds and Brentford. Only has a year left on his contract.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/yasser-larouci-liverpool-exit-transfer-chase-brentford-leeds-a4500221.html

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101698 on: July 16, 2020, 01:17:38 pm »
I didn't expect that.

Fair play to him if he wants to play first-team football and thinks he can get it elsewhere. I'd be disappointed to lose him as I think he's a decent prospect and we need another left-back.

Bielsa or Brentford - that's a good decision for any young player to have to make.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101699 on: July 16, 2020, 01:21:13 pm »
he is poor defensively.
Sell him to Brentford & then get Benrahma

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101700 on: July 16, 2020, 01:25:03 pm »
That's a shame. Hopefully we will bring a LB in over the summer.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101701 on: July 16, 2020, 01:28:15 pm »

Lewis on loan & Larouci out, could this mean that James Morris is going to go into U23?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101702 on: July 16, 2020, 01:28:56 pm »
Jamal Lewis has been consistently linked with us. Would be a solid backup to Robbo.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101703 on: July 16, 2020, 01:29:30 pm »
James Pearce on Larouchi.

Young left-back Yasser Larouci is set to leave Liverpool this summer. Down to the final year of his contract and has told the club he won't pen an extension. He wants first-team football. Leeds & Brentford both keen.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101704 on: July 16, 2020, 01:31:06 pm »
Lewis on loan & Larouci out, could this mean that James Morris is going to go into U23?

I think so.

He's earned it, hopefully he can make that step up and continue to develop and impress.

Jamal Lewis has been consistently linked with us. Would be a solid backup to Robbo.

Aside from him not being very good at the defending part of being a defender.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101705 on: July 16, 2020, 01:31:46 pm »
I think so.

He's earned it, hopefully he can make that step up and continue to develop and impress.

Aside from him not being very good at the defending part of being a defender.

People said the same about Robbo at Hull, in fairness.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #101706 on: July 16, 2020, 01:32:30 pm »
Shame that, might explain why he’s not been in the first team picture after lockdown and we’ve tried Neco there.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101707 on: July 16, 2020, 01:37:07 pm »

Can't blame Larouchi, if he's not getting a chance now then when will he? he does seem talented but not sure left back is his best position

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101708 on: July 16, 2020, 01:42:30 pm »

Lewis isn't as good now as Robertson was then. I don't think it's particularly close.

Where have these links even come from? Norwich's DoF has said bids for any of their best young players would need to start at the fee they got for James Maddison, so around £20m - are we really going to pay that for a back-up LB?

If the club actually wants him then fair enough, maybe his underlying stats tell a different story. I just think it's a baseless link because some people think that signing a LB from a relegated team has worked out for us once so let's do it again, rather than anyone putting forward an argument that he's actually good enough.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101709 on: July 16, 2020, 01:48:42 pm »
Good luck to him

Surprised given there is no recognised back up to Robbo but there you go

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101710 on: July 16, 2020, 01:53:22 pm »
I guess when Williams if playing out of position at your position then it's obvious you're pretty far from the team. although this might be why Klopp put Williams in rather than giving minutes to someone leaving.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101711 on: July 16, 2020, 02:08:13 pm »
Larouci looked way off the required quality to play for us IMO. Rash at the back and poor quality in the final third. A move to Leeds or Brentford would be great for him. Don't think he'd be first choice at either club but the gap to close on the first team LB would be more realistic.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101712 on: July 16, 2020, 02:49:07 pm »
Wish him the best, but for me Larouci was never going to quite cut it for us. Trying to convert him to LB was the right move, but I just don’t think he has caught on from a tactical/positioning standpoint. Great pace and energy but that’s about it.
James Norris will definitely spend most of his time with the u23s now imo. Only Tony Gallacher is ahead of him age wise (if Adam Lewis does go on loan) and I’d not be shocked to see Gallacher moved on as well. Owen Beck and Luke Chambers are highly regarded fullbacks who will get the bulk of the u18 minutes imo.
I think this opens the door for an LB signing. Not sure if we’d go the Jamal Lewis route just because he’d probably still cost a bit more than we want to pay for a backup fullback. Someone like Max Clark (previously linked) or Harry Pickering would fit the bill though. Good attacking stats, u23 age but playing senior football in lower divisions, would come cheaper with less expectations of a major role.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101713 on: July 16, 2020, 04:26:01 pm »
Shame that, might explain why he’s not been in the first team picture after lockdown and we’ve tried Neco there.

Well he has been training with the 1st team.

Shame he wants to leave but understandable.

We've some top full backs come through that are bit younger than him.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #101714 on: July 16, 2020, 04:43:28 pm »
Honestly not surprised we haven't tried hard to keep him, whenever I've seen Larouci play he's had Moreno-esque positioning. Good energy and pace but he's just not going to be a top level left back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101715 on: July 16, 2020, 04:57:58 pm »

even now AA is poor defensively. You hear that on the comms every game.

Seems like a hipster thing to say. as long as you are an attacking fullback, you will be a poor defender by default.

Not everyone is as good as AWB defensively i guess.

was actuallly looking forward to Larouchi developing here but i guess since the coaches are willing to let him go, they must have seen enough of him to not value him that much.

Online MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101716 on: July 17, 2020, 10:42:00 am »
From my very limited time watching Larouchi, he seems a bit limited as a footballer. Lots of power and pace but not a lot else. While these may come with time, letting him go would be best to my mind.
Justice for the 96!

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101717 on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:51 am »
Not sure where this narrative of “we’re letting him go” has come from. Unless I’ve missed something the articles and reports I’ve read are Larouchi has told us he wants to leave and he won’t be signing a new deal.

To me that says a new deal must have been mooted if nothing else

Because he’s not signing we’re selling to get some value for him

He hasn’t turned into a failed player or anything. We’re trying to get a bit of value for a player who wants to move on to get first team opportunity

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101718 on: July 17, 2020, 11:05:37 am »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/402251-jake-cain-signs-new-long-term-contract-with-liverpool-fc

Cain signs a new long term deal.

Pleased about this. He looks quality.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101719 on: July 17, 2020, 01:49:43 pm »
From my very limited time watching Larouchi, he seems a bit limited as a footballer. Lots of power and pace but not a lot else. While these may come with time, letting him go would be best to my mind.

Definitely had flashbacks of Moreno whilst watching him. A lot of the defending aspects can be improved but I just thought he lacked the technical quality in the final third to forge out a career here. Hope he goes to a decent development environment and forges out a career in a good league.