Author Topic: Formula 1 2022: The return of ground effect(s)  (Read 190929 times)

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Formula 1 2022: The return of ground effects
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2022, 11:28:06 pm »
not really into F1 these days. loved it as a kid back in the mid to late 90s but lost interest.

Hamilton is a great though and dont get the hate for him. i guess thats always the way when you win so much. alot of people didnt like Schumacher either i guess.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2022, 05:20:50 pm »
So far Car Launch dates are Aston Martin 10/02, McLaren 11/02, Ferrari 17/02 & Mercedes 18/02. Also don't think they'll be any coverage of the first test and for this reason Ferrari are running a different Livery in the second

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2022, 05:22:55 pm »
Don't think I can cope with the typo in the thread title for 11 months ;D

What am I missing?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2022, 06:52:10 am »
What am I missing?
Shouldn't it be 'affect'?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2022, 07:02:30 am »
Shouldn't it be 'affect'?

No, I don't think so.

Effect -: a change which is a result or consequence of an action or other cause.
     Affect -: have an effect on; make a difference to.

Affect is usually a verb meaning "to produce an effect upon," as in "the weather affected his mood." Effect is usually a noun meaning "a change that results when something is done or happens," as in "computers have had a huge effect on our lives." There are exceptions, but if you think of affect as a verb and effect as a noun, you'll be right the majority of the time.

Although it depends on how you interpret the sentence.... confusing....

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 07:27:29 am »
No, I don't think so.

Effect -: a change which is a result or consequence of an action or other cause.
     Affect -: have an effect on; make a difference to.

Affect is usually a verb meaning "to produce an effect upon," as in "the weather affected his mood." Effect is usually a noun meaning "a change that results when something is done or happens," as in "computers have had a huge effect on our lives." There are exceptions, but if you think of affect as a verb and effect as a noun, you'll be right the majority of the time.

Although it depends on how you interpret the sentence.... confusing....
I’m waiting for an English teacher to sort it out  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 08:07:22 am »
I’m waiting for an English teacher to sort it out  ;D

I'm an English teacher, and it's "ground effect". The 's' at the end of the tread title is not really correct though, if we're splitting hairs...

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 09:02:26 am »
Zak Brown's confirmed McLaren have had a chat with Volkswagen.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2022, 09:26:48 am »
So far Car Launch dates are Aston Martin 10/02, McLaren 11/02, Ferrari 17/02 & Mercedes 18/02. Also don't think they'll be any coverage of the first test and for this reason Ferrari are running a different Livery in the second

Do we think the dates reflect how deep into last season the teams were still developing last year's car?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2022, 10:10:34 am »
I'm an English teacher, and it's "ground effect". The 's' at the end of the tread title is not really correct though, if we're splitting hairs...
Tar lar  :thumbup

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2022, 10:24:17 am »

I was indeed ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:26:12 am by jackh »

Offline Bill Shepherd

• Main Stander
  • Works well under constant supervision.
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2022, 03:06:59 pm »

Intermediate or full wets?  :)
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere. On the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2022, 04:44:36 pm »
From Mercedes’ twitter

How much is real, how much misdirection?!

For those of us who are not nocturnal...

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2022, 05:27:12 pm »
Intermediate or full wets?  :)

Yeah I just read it back... :butt ;D

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2022, 05:30:26 pm »
Yeah I just read it back... :butt ;D
6/10
Must try harder
 ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2022, 06:09:55 pm »
It’s more than one effect though… ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2022, 11:15:49 pm »

Hopefully Ferrari are returning to the scarlet red of old rather then the darker one of last year
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2022, 12:45:06 am »
It’s more than one effect though… ;D
Still no S it seems when you look at Webster https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ground%20effect

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2022, 08:39:46 am »
6/10
Must try harder
 ;D

I was tyred, alright?  ;D

Still no S it seems when you look at Webster https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ground%20effect

Actually genuinely interested here, in what way is ground effect more than one effect? I'm not an engineer, so I have no clue.

Good man yourself

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2022, 09:23:51 am »
Actually genuinely interested here, in what way is ground effect more than one effect? I'm not an engineer, so I have no clue.

Same effect, but on multiple cars was perhaps what they meant?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2022, 10:46:23 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60160969

But sources have told BBC Sport that the FIA's plans are to introduce a series of safeguards that will leave the race director freer to make decisions in a calmer environment.

Many insiders admit that Masi made a series of operational errors in the closing laps at Yas Marina that were contrary to the rules and accepted protocols - and there remain serious questions about his future in the role.

At the same time, it has been accepted that the Australian was left exposed, isolated and under too much pressure in the final laps of the race.

A support structure is being planned for the race director, insiders say.

This is likely to include a barrier between that role and the teams to avoid the direct lobbying to which Masi was subjected from the team bosses of both Mercedes and Red Bull in Abu Dhabi.

Revisions to the operations of the stewards - who are independent of the race director and decide on penalties for breaches of the rules - are also being considered.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2022, 08:01:19 am »
This is likely to include a barrier between that role and the teams to avoid the direct lobbying to which Masi was subjected from the team bosses of both Mercedes and Red Bull in Abu Dhabi.

Very good point actually. Masi was being badgered all over the place from Mercedes / Red Bull whilst trying to do his job. You can’t talk to referees when they’re reviewing VAR

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2022, 01:11:39 pm »
Very good point actually. Masi was being badgered all over the place from Mercedes / Red Bull whilst trying to do his job. You can’t talk to referees when they’re reviewing VAR
agreed mate, it was pretty tough on Masi, doesnt excuse the fuck ups though. you just know Charlie Whiting would have been hanging up a lot of the time if the bosses were like that with him, but then again he had the gravitas and respect built up
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2022, 01:22:22 pm »
The support structure should be implemented, but it should be so that Masi's replacement has the cover they need and he should still be booted out for that shambles.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2022, 05:19:45 pm »
The support structure should be implemented, but it should be so that Masi's replacement has the cover they need and he should still be booted out for that shambles.
I agree, Masi is not a figure that should survive the utter shambles that was Abu Dhabi. Not to mention Brazil and Saudi Arabia and probably a few more I'm missing. He clearly was in over his head, but it also shows that he is not fit for the role.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2022, 03:21:43 pm »
Honda will continue to supply power units to Red Bull directly from Japan until the end of the current Formula 1 regulations, in a dramatic change of plan.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-set-to-extend-direct-red-bull-supply-to-2025/7677145/

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2022, 03:23:21 pm »
You’d be bloody annoyed if you’d moved from AMG to RB and were currently on gardening leave wouldnt you….!
W

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
Re: Formula 1 2022: The return of ground effect(s)
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2022, 06:16:21 pm »
Honda will continue to supply power units to Red Bull directly from Japan until the end of the current Formula 1 regulations, in a dramatic change of plan.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-set-to-extend-direct-red-bull-supply-to-2025/7677145/

Thanks for that, Ray. Certainly got the potential to be a game changer and definitely the most significant piece of F1 news I've seen close-season.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2022, 07:18:23 pm »
I hate Red Bull but have a fondness for Honda, great to see them staying in F1.

Amazing turnaround from Honda after the McLaren years.

Just need Audi and Porsche to officially announce their F1 plans for 2026, been quite a few articles this month which looks like it's going to be happening.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2022, 08:29:22 pm »
Aston Martin are rumoured to be behind schedule.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2022, 11:24:32 am »
All F1 personnel must be fully vaccinated for the new season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60195524

Doesn't look like it will impact any teams or drivers due to the travel rules in place last season.

Will apply to all personnel working within F1, including drivers, teams, media, hospitality workers and any guests who attend the races.

Considering everything that happened with the actual racing, it seems that F1 is the only sport that managed the pandemic well last season

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2022, 11:52:22 am »
Lewis Hamiltons #1 Fan does NOT....does NOT look happy!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #73 on: February 3, 2022, 09:31:26 am »
At the risk of kicking the hornets' nest, this is quite an interesting article on Hamilton's frame of mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/feb/03/lewis-hamiltons-future-shrouded-in-doubt-as-new-f1-season-looms

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 3, 2022, 09:35:46 am »
All F1 personnel must be fully vaccinated for the new season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60195524

Doesn't look like it will impact any teams or drivers due to the travel rules in place last season.

Will apply to all personnel working within F1, including drivers, teams, media, hospitality workers and any guests who attend the races.

Considering everything that happened with the actual racing, it seems that F1 is the only sport that managed the pandemic well last season
Is Fully Vaccinated, double vaxxed or triple vaxxed?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #75 on: February 3, 2022, 09:37:18 am »
At the risk of kicking the hornets' nest, this is quite an interesting article on Hamilton's frame of mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/feb/03/lewis-hamiltons-future-shrouded-in-doubt-as-new-f1-season-looms

I think he just wants a guarantee that he won't be conned out of another drivers title.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #76 on: February 3, 2022, 11:29:28 am »
honestly shocked that a top Indy team hasn't come in and publicly made an offer. Would be embarrassing for the FIA lol
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #77 on: February 3, 2022, 11:35:17 am »
honestly shocked that a top Indy team hasn't come in and publicly made an offer. Would be embarrassing for the FIA lol

I think he's under contract for another year regardless and I'm not sure any team could afford anything like the money he's on

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 4, 2022, 11:17:21 am »
Haas have (sort of) revealed their car.  I imagine it's just a livery reveal over the generic car for the year.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-haas-become-first-team-to-reveal-2022-car-and-livery.6hTev2bioqDq0QuojBQXp9.html

My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #79 on: February 4, 2022, 11:17:49 am »