Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 52076 times)

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2021, 11:41:03 am »
True. You can't be a fan of tunes like Outkast's "Hey Ya!' and not love "Shake It Off". It was the first song by her that made me stop and listen to her.
Shake it Off is horrible, I hate it. Hey Ya is a classic though.

All too Well is a good tune.

I actually tend to dislike her more formulaic pop tunes and prefer when she leans into her country background or even arena rock-style stuff.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2021, 01:11:47 pm »
Hey Ya is a really messed up, sad song!

I don’t love some of her pop ‘bops’ but there’s a time and a place for them to be appreciated - like on a dance floor! Style and Blank Space are absolute bangers for me though.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2021, 02:10:45 pm »
Hey Ya should not be compared to Shake It Off. There isn’t even any sort of resemblance? Hey Ya is a bonafide classic.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2021, 02:11:28 pm »
I really, REALLY don’t like her voice. She’s a bang average singer. Good enough songwriter though.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2021, 02:59:33 pm »

I don’t love some of her pop ‘bops’ but there’s a time and a place for them to be appreciated - like on a dance floor! Style and Blank Space are absolute bangers for me though.
They are bangers indeed
I really, REALLY don’t like her voice. She’s a bang average singer. Good enough songwriter though.
Each to their own isn’t it, but I think she’s got a great voice and uses it well

Hey Ya should not be compared to Shake It Off. There isn’t even any sort of resemblance? Hey Ya is a bonafide classic.

You’re right. Shake it off is probably the better song
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2021, 05:17:07 pm »
She's great. Genuinely with alot of good tunes. Shake it off is quality.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2021, 07:34:05 pm »

Yep I like ‘Blank Space’ and ‘Style’ is absolutely great.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2021, 08:01:33 pm »

Duvva mate, come on  :lmao :lmao
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2021, 08:17:08 pm »
Duvva mate, come on  :lmao :lmao
Don’t get me wrong Hey Ya is great song but Shake it Off is being unfairly maligned by some, I genuinely think it’s a pop classic.
I really got into Taylor off the back of Ryan Adams recording of 1989. I’d never really listened to her before that but wanted to hear the originals not expecting to like them but was pleasantly surprised how much of it I liked. I didn’t expect it to be something that lasted but with each album she’s released since I’ve grown to appreciate her more and more. Like others I probably prefer some of her lesser known songs, but equally I appreciate her finest attempts at pop and for me Shake It Off is that

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2021, 08:25:01 pm »
I only know the songs of hers that get played on the crap station my wife listens too (honestly!) but in my humble opinion Blank Space > Shake It Off by a long way. Thanks for your time.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2021, 09:35:26 pm »
Don’t get me wrong Hey Ya is great song but Shake it Off is being unfairly maligned by some, I genuinely think it’s a pop classic.
I really got into Taylor off the back of Ryan Adams recording of 1989. I’d never really listened to her before that but wanted to hear the originals not expecting to like them but was pleasantly surprised how much of it I liked. I didn’t expect it to be something that lasted but with each album she’s released since I’ve grown to appreciate her more and more. Like others I probably prefer some of her lesser known songs, but equally I appreciate her finest attempts at pop and for me Shake It Off is that

All that may be true , but Hey Ya is a bona fide classic for anyone of my generation.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:34 pm »

Fucking love you, Duvva  ;D

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2021, 11:49:05 pm »
They are bangers indeedEach to their own isn’t it, but I think she’s got a great voice and uses it well

I should clarify. It’s not that she’s a bad singer, I just find her voice to be unexceptional - a little bland. And more recent material with The National and Bon iver exposes that badly as in that genre there are so many characterful singers.

In straight up pop songs like shake it off it’s less of an issue. Songwriting, rather than singing, is where her strength is.

(Oh, and Hey Ya is a Pop masterpiece. Even as a worldwide smash hit, I think it’s underrated. Shake it off is an excellent pop song but nowhere near as good).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:52:47 pm by thejbs »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2021, 04:06:22 am »
I actually went back and listened to Hey Ya and it's even better than I remember. Andre 3000 just has that awesome combination of high energy and supreme confidence to make a song like that work.

Outkast in the late '90s and early '00s were putting out some belting albums that shaped rap and pop music for years to come.

Not comparable to any of Taylor's music to be honest. It's appealing to a different audience. I don't think any of her music is aiming to push the boundaries, experiment or challenge its listeners. Its just something light to listen to in a car or at gym.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:19:56 am by Max_powers »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2021, 08:28:56 am »
Hey Ya is a brilliant song & even better music video.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2021, 11:52:07 am »
I think Hey Ya and Shake it Off both cross over into that high energy pop space that crosses over onto dance floors etc, but yeah they’re not really spawned from the same genre.

I just don’t know how you can call Shake it Off a classic, it’s dull, sounds like 30 songs before it and the lyrics are tripe. Blank Space, Wildest Dreams, Love Story - Taylor Swift is capable of writing brilliant pop music and Shake it Off isn’t it. She has the occasional song - Style, 22 etc that stinks of being written amidst commercial pressures as opposed to the thought of actually creating something. They’re shite.

Her collaboration with Big Red Machine was good. She’s a certain type of Americana that evokes something for some people - I would agree her voice is unexceptional though. She can clearly sing but it’s the songwriting that stands out.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2021, 12:54:20 pm »
Happy 32nd birthday to the Queen of Rock n Roll

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2021, 01:22:07 pm »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2021, 03:09:18 pm »
Happy 32nd birthday to the Queen of Rock n Roll

Haha!

Were you also hoping for a Birthday surprise/treat from blondie?

EDIT: I did just receive a little gift from blondie! Ordered the All Too Well scarf back in October for release 5th Nov, but they couldn’t fulfil all the orders and wasn’t due to get it until January. However, just had a surprise  email to say it has been dispatched. Psyched!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:11:02 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2021, 04:36:47 pm »
Haha!

Were you also hoping for a Birthday surprise/treat from blondie?

EDIT: I did just receive a little gift from blondie! Ordered the All Too Well scarf back in October for release 5th Nov, but they couldn’t fulfil all the orders and wasn’t due to get it until January. However, just had a surprise  email to say it has been dispatched. Psyched!
Nice little pre Christmas surprise for you. I’m sure it’ll surprise some but I don’t actually have any Taylor merch, though I’m not ruling it out in future if I find something that’s suits

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2021, 05:06:34 pm »
What’s blondie?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2021, 05:11:38 pm »
‘Swifties’ would refer to TS as ‘blondie’

Example: ‘don’t you dare drop a surprise birthday album today, blondie.’

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2021, 05:25:27 pm »
‘Swifties’ would refer to TS as ‘blondie’

Example: ‘don’t you dare drop a surprise birthday album today, blondie.’

My word.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 21, 2021, 10:16:35 pm »
I heard Exile today and it really is a lovely song.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2022, 01:25:44 pm »
I didn't want to derail the Podcast thread, so I thought I would pop this in here:

Dare I ask what’s happened?!

You think a lot of modern musicians are relying on sound and attitude?
Name me someone who’s not.

She may not be to your taste, but Taylor Swift is an excellent songwriter.
She doesn’t write her own songs.

Of course she does. Co-writes some of them.
That doesn’t count. I know what co-writing is. Co-writing is very different to writing. I’m not hating on anybody, I’m just saying there’s a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes. Doesn’t mean that the outcome can’t be really great. And some of the greatest singers — I mean, Ella Fitzgerald never wrote a song in her life. When I sing, I have to close my eyes and just be in there. I suppose I’m a traditionalist in that sense. A really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother. I’m more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift. It’s just darker — less endlessly upbeat. Way more minor and odd. I think she’s exceptional.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2022-01-23/damon-albarn-blur-gorillaz

Prompting this response:

---------------------------------------------

Taylor Swift
@taylorswift13
16h
@DamonAlbarn
I was such a big fan of yours until I saw this. I write ALL of my own songs. Your hot take is completely false and SO damaging. You don’t have to like my songs but it’s really fucked up to try and discredit my writing. WOW.

Damon Albarn
@Damonalbarn
Replying to
@taylorswift13
I totally agree with you. i had a conversation about songwriting and sadly it was reduced to clickbait. I apologise unreservedly and unconditionally. The last thing I would want to do is discredit your songwriting. I hope you understand. - Damon

---------------------------------------------

And prompting a lot of people who have worked with her to call him out on her not writing her own songs.

Silly, silly boy!

Took a swing at someone he knows very little about and was way off target. Glad he has been shown up and I'm glad she called him out on it. Of course it's ok to not like her music but to say she doesn't write her own songs... incredible how he got it so wrong, and so publicly. The girl who wrote and released an album (which contained songs that won Grammys) at 19 years old with ZERO co-writers listed. The woman whose songwriting process has been heavily captured and documented, praised by those who work and have worked so closely with her throughout her career.

And to then double-down when he was corrected by the journalist. The arrogance of the guy.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2022, 01:28:40 pm »
What a charmless man.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2022, 01:29:39 pm »
What a charmless man.

She’s being a bit tender though I think.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2022, 01:36:28 pm »
Didn't have Taylor Swift vs. Damon Albarn on my 2022 social media beefs bingo card

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2022, 01:51:13 pm »
It all happened so fast! Stupid comment, followed by a 'on the nose' call out and then a swift apology (Damon, not Taylor). Some faux twitter outrage with columns upon columns now being written regarding off the mark accusations of misogyny.

Just wish he had called out Ed Sheeran instead, he'd be on the money then...

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2022, 01:56:08 pm »
She’s being a bit tender though I think.

She should just shake it off

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2022, 02:10:58 pm »
Albarn just has a blank space between his ears

Online Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2022, 03:00:47 pm »
I'd rather have an Everton dad throw his child at me than upset the Taylor Swift fanbase. They can be brutal.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2022, 03:05:59 pm »
Swift should just 'shake it off' and carry on.

What a rubbish, modern 'fight' between two musicians. They should sort it out with a proper fist fight.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:26:35 pm by killer-heels »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2022, 03:06:47 pm »
Only a matter of time before one of the Gallaghers comes out swinging in defence of Swift.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2022, 03:31:49 pm »
Only a matter of time before one of the Gallaghers comes out swinging in defence of Swift.

Think they’re both more friendly with Akbar’s these days than they are with each other.

Swift should just 'shake it off' and carry on.

What a rubbish, modern 'fight' between two musicians. They should sort it out with a proper fist fight.

Kind of agree. All a bit precious. Musician speaks a bit of shite shocker, doubt many people had read the article before it all blew up. Don’t tell Ciara though (she won’t read this).

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2022, 03:52:16 pm »
Bring back Gwen Stefani and get rid of this absolute bore, please.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2022, 04:14:56 pm »
Person says incorrect thing and apologises once informed they were wrong.

Might be enough to take the pressure of Borris.
:D

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2022, 04:38:20 pm »
He wasn't wrong though, Swift does use external co-writers as anyone can see by looking at the credits on her albums. Look What You Made Me Do for instance was co-written by Right Said Fred. Swift just does what she always does and set her social media flying monkeys on anyone who criticises her. Did Blur ever use external co-writers? If not then yes, it is different.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:55:51 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2022, 04:42:42 pm »
Person says incorrect thing and apologises once informed they were wrong.

Might be enough to take the pressure of Borris.

Person says incorrect thing, was corrected in an interview and instead of correcting himself, person doubles-down.

Person then offers something of an apology once he was called out for it.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2022, 04:49:30 pm »
Never get Damon to do Noel Gallagher's job is the lesson here.

Noel hasn't done anything musically in 20-odd years, but he still gives great interviews. He would have said something bitchy but funny, Taylor would have ignored him ('Who?') and the Swifties would have fun online about it all. Now, Damon just looks like a dick in a Kanye-esque way. And you never want to go full Kanye.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75