The Liverpool FC Forum > General Football and Sport

African Cup of Nations (AFCON)

(1/639) > >>

Rush 82:
As a born and bred resident of Africa, my view is that it's a shite tournament that should be reduced to a four year cycle.

It's played in crap stadiums, with poor officiating, overseen by poor administration, and has the added disincentive of a constant threat of the matches being disrupted due to misbehavior between rival fans.

The games are generally poorly attended and attract very little sponsorship due to the aforementioned poor administration, abysmal facilities and low quality footy on display.

Mr Mingebag Squid:
I'm all for it being played, we have the Euros, the Asian, COPA America etc but yeah don't understand why it isn't on a four year cycle? (In fact is the COPA?)

The other issue I don't understand, why isn't it played during the off season? Is it weather related or due to the domestic league setup in Africa?

Rush 82:

--- Quote from: Mr Mingebag Squid on September  6, 2016, 11:35:54 am ---I'm all for it being played, we have the Euros, the Asian, COPA America etc but yeah don't understand why it isn't on a four year cycle? (In fact is the COPA?)

The other issue I don't understand, why isn't it played during the off season? Is it weather related or due to the domestic league setup in Africa?

--- End quote ---

Domestic League is such a grand word to use for club football in Africa (ok, I admit I'm biased 'cos club football is so shite in South Africa that it's barely worth following).

Mr Mingebag Squid:

--- Quote from: Rush 82 on September  6, 2016, 11:38:14 am ---Domestic League is such a grand word to use for club football in Africa (ok, I admit I'm biased 'cos club football is so shite in South Africa that it's barely worth following).

--- End quote ---

I'll freely admit I have no idea how football works in Africa. I know South Africa and Egypt have leagues running, and would assume there are at least some kind of leagues running for the other countries?

Redman0151:
No idea why it's every 2 years to be honest, seems crazy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version