Author Topic: Roma watch  (Read 150025 times)

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
Re: Roma watch
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2018, 05:29:01 am »
Just watched highlights of CL games against Chelsea and Atletico.

Give them enough space in midfield and we'll get punished as Perotti is a class act.

Both Chelsea and Atletico had plenty of opportunities in Rome with the latter dominating.

Need to be clinical.

Bewildered by some of the comments here. Spurs were gloating after the Juve result.

This...

Confident that JK and the squad will be fully prepared for the task and will drill into our lot how best to break them. And what to look out for.

My tuppence worth.

'Nuff said...

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2018, 08:42:35 am »
I watched the derby late last night and you have to say they're quite one-dimensional are Roma.

While it was an incredibly entertaining 0-0 draw, Roma were shut down for large periods of the game and only really threatened through crosses to Dzeko. Worth noting is that when they did start crossing, they were a serious threat. VVD will be key.

That Ünder kid is quite good as well, but De Rossi was seriously underwhelming and as other have mentioned, Manolas went off. Looking at the situation though it shouldn't be serious.

Short side-note: Lucas is still a very accomplished nr 6.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2018, 09:05:49 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if Roma employed some long ball tactics to Dzeko and bypass our midfield. Problem is you can't see Dzeko out muscling Virg. Barca couldn't handle it but let's face it that Barca defence pish.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2018, 09:18:38 am »
Barcelona scored only 2 goals (+2 own goals) against these over two legs - they are not easy to score against.

Klopp will not underestimate them - neither should we.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:59 am »
Barcelona scored only 2 goals (+2 own goals) against these over two legs - they are not easy to score against.

Klopp will not underestimate them - neither should we.

Guaranteed we won't underestimate them and Klopp and his team will have the boys fully prepared, but we have to go into the game with confidence and the belief we can beat anyone. Back in 05, Juve had conceded two goals in the CL and we 2 at home, we beat the team that would be crowned Premier League Champions. Look to the past for inspiration and look to ourselves for the self belief to get ourselves to a CL Final. The Anfield crowd will be well up for this.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:31 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if Roma employed some long ball tactics to Dzeko and bypass our midfield. Problem is you can't see Dzeko out muscling Virg. Barca couldn't handle it but let's face it that Barca defence pish.
I'm sure Roma has seen the ManU game, the last one we lost. We might hate it, but that is the most succesful tactics against LFC at the moment and I'm sure Roma will try it. Playing a high line at Anfield is suicidal.

We have two big CBs, but they often get isolated and they're not invincible. Our squad doesn't contain any top quality target forwards like Benteke anymore, so our CBs aren't used to that either. They face fast dribblers in every day practice, not early crosses to forwards that are just as strong as themselves.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2018, 11:53:44 am »
I'm sure Roma has seen the ManU game, the last one we lost. We might hate it, but that is the most succesful tactics against LFC at the moment and I'm sure Roma will try it. Playing a high line at Anfield is suicidal.

We have two big CBs, but they often get isolated and they're not invincible. Our squad doesn't contain any top quality target forwards like Benteke anymore, so our CBs aren't used to that either. They face fast dribblers in every day practice, not early crosses to forwards that are just as strong as themselves.

Solanke?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2018, 11:55:17 am »

Yeah I'm not sure you can call Barca's defence pish. They have conceded half as many as we have this season. They have the second best defensive record after Atletico.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2018, 11:56:39 am »
Naingollen (sp?) played a couple of successful no-look reverse diagonal balls to the right wing while facing their own goal, from which crosses were made for Dzeko. Robbo will have to be wary.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2018, 12:15:51 pm »
0-0, only caught the last half an hour but for a local derby that was pretty poor all round.

We shouldn't underestimate them because the atmosphere in the CL will be much, much different (Lazio were the home side today too), but we're favourites for a reason.

The same could have been said of our derby. It was pedestrian and almost akin to a training game. We cannot read anything into any performance except for how they like to play and where and how they get their goals. They will be pumped up as we shall be. If we play to our ability, we have too many match winners in our squad. Key as usual is to be clinical and bury every chance we get.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:26 pm »
Solanke?
He's not very good, frankly. And we use him mainly like Firmino, playing into feet, not as a target for crosses.

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2018, 12:24:46 pm »
They don't fuck about with putting balls into the box. Given the chance, they take it.
We need to be wary of that. Lovren is our best header and I think he'll be imperative in dealing with those balls in. Having said that, if we dominate possession and press like we do in their half, it's hard to see them get in positions to have men in the box when they do get the ball in.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »
What makes people think that Dzeko will just stick by Virgil for 90 mins. He will target Lovern, same way as lukaku did. This will be a tough game, we haven't been here in a decade, nerves will play a part also.

What people don't realise is with the 4 teams when the draw was made, Roma were smiling too.

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2018, 12:33:44 pm »
What makes people think that Dzeko will just stick by Virgil for 90 mins. He will target Lovern, same way as lukaku did. This will be a tough game, we haven't been here in a decade, nerves will play a part also.

What people don't realise is with the 4 teams when the draw was made, Roma were smiling too.

:lmao

Honestly. I maybe biased, but up until now, we are the one team in the Champions League I would absolutely dread facing. We might play like shit for all we know against Roma. But, going into the draw I would've hardly smiled if I was a Roma fan and we drew Liverpool.

True, Dzeko may target lovren, and may outmuscle him, but in the air Lovren is very good. As long as he doesn't get bullied for strength, and receives some protection from say a covering Milner/Henderson or Wijnaldum, he should be fine.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2018, 12:56:11 pm »

And Roma won't be nervous? They haven't been in a semi-final in Europe in a while as well. True we haven't been at this stage in the CL in a decade, but we were in a semi-final in Europe two years ago against Villareal and we had lost the first leg 1-0 . So it's not like we're complete novices to monumental games.

It will be  a tough game, but it will be tough for Roma just as it it will for us.

Barca don't deal with long balls and that type of play on a weekly basis, we've dealt with it all season, and yes there are games where we got exposed [United], but not everyone is as good as United in terms of structure and being able to play that.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2018, 01:05:48 pm »
We need to be wary of that. Lovren is our best header and I think he'll be imperative in dealing with those balls in.

Ermmm.. Van Dijk?!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline CN23

• Has one so long that he can't hold it himself......yeah right.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2018, 01:16:41 pm »
Just watched first 30 minutes as it was awful to observe. Got to admit, it was a derby with both sides to compete for top 4, but there was nothing from Roma that would frighten me. When they are attacked there is no idea to get the ball forward (apart from playing sideways or backwards) but a panic long ball up front where Lazi defence is waiting to intervene. Our front 3 will kill them. If we score 2 at home and don't concede... and attack them in their own backyard, they will falter, shit themselves and let us through to where we belong... Kiev.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2018, 01:22:12 pm »
Just watched first 30 minutes as it was awful to observe. Got to admit, it was a derby with both sides to compete for top 4, but there was nothing from Roma that would frighten me. When they are attacked there is no idea to get the ball forward (apart from playing sideways or backwards) but a panic long ball up front where Lazi defence is waiting to intervene. Our front 3 will kill them. If we score 2 at home and don't concede... and attack them in their own backyard, they will falter, shit themselves and let us through to where we belong... Kiev.

Have you watched Roma vs Barcelona ?

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2018, 01:24:02 pm »

Exposing weaknesses fine but all this talk of Kiev is disrespecting other teams. Remember when we were going to batter spurs after mauling a team in the CL? One game at a time. We've probably got the most potnet attack in Europe right now but we did naff all against Utd.

One game at a time and we can't give them the away goal which they are more than capable of scoring particularly from set pieces.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »
the first leg will be crucial like it was against City,by setting the tone in the first leg, it gives us a boost going into the 2nd. Not conceding in the first would be huge, even a 0-0 is not the end of the world.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2018, 01:44:05 pm »

watched some bits from our friendly with them last year, Dzeko v Lovren is something I am worried about - though Dejan has improved lately. Dzeko is probably a better player now than when he was at City. Really good all round game.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2018, 01:59:30 pm »
And Roma won't be nervous? They haven't been in a semi-final in Europe in a while as well. True we haven't been at this stage in the CL in a decade, but we were in a semi-final in Europe two years ago against Villareal and we had lost the first leg 1-0 . So it's not like we're complete novices to monumental games.

It will be  a tough game, but it will be tough for Roma just as it it will for us.

Barca don't deal with long balls and that type of play on a weekly basis, we've dealt with it all season, and yes there are games where we got exposed [United], but not everyone is as good as United in terms of structure and being able to play that.

Also, 7 of the players who will make the squad for the Roma game played in the Dortmund 4-3 game, although only Lovren, Firmino and Milner will start, that's still a great experience to have around.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2018, 02:01:44 pm »
Sounds like they're like a Man United, but with talent.  They'll be tough, good defensively, and compact, with a some quality players that can strike. 

Nerves are kicking in. 

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2018, 02:02:47 pm »
And Roma won't be nervous? They haven't been in a semi-final in Europe in a while as well.

They've only ever been in one before - back in '84 - when, as Royhendo will tell you, they cheated their way past Dundee United.

Only to get taught a lesson by Souness and his merry band of boys in Red.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2018, 02:03:36 pm »
To beat these it's absolutely vital we shut down that Salah on the wing.  His service to the foward line is excellent.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RtGZ-sA1lDQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RtGZ-sA1lDQ</a>

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:34 pm »
To beat these it's absolutely vital we shut down that Salah on the wing.  His service to the foward line is excellent.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RtGZ-sA1lDQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RtGZ-sA1lDQ</a>

That's just pace stuff though. It's easy to cope with that.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2018, 02:24:32 pm »
Dzeko is a very good finisher, which seems to be overlooked at times. He's a fox in the box, he has a variety of finishes and tools, so we need to make sure that we keep him in check whoever is marking him. Obviously he's good in the air, but he's got more to his game than that.

he was instrumental in both of City's league titles and he did score a couple of times against us.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2018, 02:52:32 pm »

Er, I don't think they were dude! They will have detected more than a bit of quality in the soon-to-be English champions. And noticed we dispatched them 5 goals to 1 :)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2018, 03:03:44 pm »
Er, I don't think they were dude! They will have detected more than a bit of quality in the soon-to-be English champions. And noticed we dispatched them 5 goals to 1 :)
They'd obviously rather us than Bayern or Real Madrid regardless of how well we played against City. Just like we'd rather draw them even though they knocked out Barcelona. Don't know why people are getting worked up about that, let them be happy with the draw. As long as we turn up we should have too much firepower for them they've scored 50 league goals to our 78.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:05:17 pm by MerseysideBrum »
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2018, 04:00:20 pm »

He's just a pace merchant, Theo Walcott is better than him.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2018, 04:04:49 pm »
Interesting video about Roma's tactics vs Barcelona: https://youtu.be/hS-ZHNObHgw
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Klopp Your Hands

• And Stompp yer feet!
  • Kopite
  • If you're a Kopite and you know it Klopp ur hands!
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »
I'm confident that we will beat them, I see the tie as a 70-30 in our favour.
It wouldn't be a cupset to go out to them though, and we won't take anything for granted but we have a great chance.
At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2018, 05:52:32 pm »
Interesting video about Roma's tactics vs Barcelona: https://youtu.be/hS-ZHNObHgw

Thanks for posting, that was really interesting. My thoughts on that:

1st Leg

Their high press is very good – it might cause us problems. It would be nice to have Lallana available for this game, but it’s not going to happen.

Will Roma go on the attack at Anfield the way they did in the 1st leg against Barca if that became their undoing?

That Roma high line would be incredibly dangerous to play against us, will they do the same?

Roma’s away goal came from taking advantage late on from Barca taking their foot of the pedal. If we get in the lead against them, I can’t see us doing that, we won’t slow down.

2nd Leg.

We have much more of a threat in terms of pace than Barca do to exploit that high line. If they do that against us they are going to be shipping goals home and away.

Dzeko is a real threat. A lot of the game is going to rely denying him clean headers and preventing him holding the ball up. It’s not just about who marks Dzeko, it’s also about the players around that area reacting to the 2nd balls or cutting options for him if he manages to get it under control (like United’s 2nd goal – Lovren prevents Lukaku getting a clean head, but nobody is around to pick up the 2nd ball or help him out).

Double up all you want on the right wing. Andy Robertson is worth two normal humans.

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2018, 06:20:15 pm »
Ermmm.. Van Dijk?!

As far as my memory serves Lovren's heading was better at least statistically. I could be wrong.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2018, 06:34:53 pm »
Dzeko is a very good finisher, which seems to be overlooked at times. He's a fox in the box, he has a variety of finishes and tools, so we need to make sure that we keep him in check whoever is marking him. Obviously he's good in the air, but he's got more to his game than that.

he was instrumental in both of City's league titles and he did score a couple of times against us.

Dzeko is an absolutely wonderful player. He's not just your average "big man target player" ala Glenn Murray. Like you say, he has a variety of tools at his disposal and scores many different types of goals. Other than City and ourselves (given our styles of play) and Tottenham (Kane), I definitely think he'd get in as the #1 striker at Arsenal, United, and Chelsea and would score loads for each club. He's the main threat, and I'm sure Jürgen has already begun planning and thinking about how we're going to deal with him.

Offline theredyank

• Main Stander
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2018, 12:13:14 am »
It's a romantic tie, isn't it? I can't wait. Garbage at work because I can't stop daydreaming.

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2018, 04:35:54 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-ZHNObHgw

This is fantastic analysis of their comeback win over Barcelona, I seriously doubt the tactical risks they took to get at Barca in the 2nd leg would go as unpunished against our usually electric transition play. I am also far more confident in our defenders to deal with their aerial threats, particularly Dzeko.

That isn't to say they are a poor side or that this will necessarily be an easy tie for us. We have a lot more threats they will have to deal with than they can offer in return, and so if we can get ourselves ahead, that will almost certainly force them into tactical risks that should give us plenty to work with. For that reason I think the first leg at Anfield is a huge advantage, because we can use atmosphere to blow them away with intensity early, and with the quality, confidence and form we have right now in attack it will be exceptionally difficult for them to stop us scoring.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2018, 07:42:10 am »
Don't think Roma will risk a high-press against us in the 1st leg. If they are stupid enough to do that, would love to see Gini in that #6 role instead of Hendo. If only Emre Can is able to play against these lot. Think he would have relished and win the battle against Strawman and the wannabe tough guy Nainggolan. So damn happy Mane is back to his beast mode. He's gonna make them shit their pants

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2018, 07:49:34 am »

Lol, Alex Manninger getting down quickly to that effort.  ;D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:30 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-ZHNObHgw

This is fantastic analysis of their comeback win over Barcelona, I seriously doubt the tactical risks they took to get at Barca in the 2nd leg would go as unpunished against our usually electric transition play. I am also far more confident in our defenders to deal with their aerial threats, particularly Dzeko.

That isn't to say they are a poor side or that this will necessarily be an easy tie for us. We have a lot more threats they will have to deal with than they can offer in return, and so if we can get ourselves ahead, that will almost certainly force them into tactical risks that should give us plenty to work with. For that reason I think the first leg at Anfield is a huge advantage, because we can use atmosphere to blow them away with intensity early, and with the quality, confidence and form we have right now in attack it will be exceptionally difficult for them to stop us scoring.
Yeah, I doubt that they will use the same tactics against us. Our main strength is the quick counter attacks, but we struggle with breaking down low blocks. Barcelona is kind of the opposite, with limited pace but many players that are exceptional in tight spaces. They might try to surprise us with a high press, but most teams that have tried it have been smashed to pieces.