Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 180114 times)

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
It's another potential trophy, and it isn't something as 'small' as the Charity Shield in terms of prestige. Annoying having to go to Qatar mid season but there's been years where it's been in Japan. Let's go for it.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
We've never won this competition and we had some horrendous officiating the last time around. At least we won't be withdrawing from the FA Cup like Ferguson did to have a go. I'd expect plenty of rotation for the first game

I'm pretty sure there's a 23-man squad, so it'll most likely be a straight swap between the second and the first XI provided we make the final.

Last year Real faced the winners of the Asia vs North America match in the semis, I don't know whether it's randomly drawn year by year but we can't face the Libertadores winners until the final. Unless the sky falls down and the New Caledonian team goes through, we'll face one of Al-Sadd, Monterrey, Espérance and the future Asian champions in the first game. Should be a win, but Mexican teams are quite handy, so I wouldn't rest the entire team for that one if it's Monterrey.
Linudden.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Call it "losing mentality" or whatever but if it is in december send the reserves and focus on the league. Does anybody remember the winners of this at all?

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Is this something that any of us will rate anywhere near the CL or EPL trophies?

We are the best in Europe this season.

Dont you want to see if we are really the best from the remaining "best"  of other associations? I, for one, would love for that to happen. Compete with the best in Asia, Africa, South America, North America and Australia and come out on the top?

Offline SecondComing

• Anny Roader
Check out Hienghène Sport's Badge

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Can't see there being many pictures of loads of fans drinking and chanting on the streets of Qatar !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
I know this is a load of bollocks but I really, really want to win this because we have never done that before.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
Check out Hienghène Sport's Badge

Is that the NWA font?!

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
But let’s be honest. Is this something that any of us will rate anywhere near the CL or EPL trophies?

It will be a couple of games that we don’t need to play.

A couple of games and the chance to officially be the best in the world. A chance to win another pot. Why not.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Pretty meh about it if I'm honest but it's an ok problem to have because it means you're the best in Europe. Might as well win it now!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline SecondComing

• Anny Roader
Is that the NWA font?!

haha, nice spot! Looks like it

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
Brilliant news! Let's go and win the fucker!

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
I've always wanted to win this trophy, I remember rafa didn't attend his fathers funeral only to get jobbed by the refs last time round. Its a pain in the ass in terms of the league but its a pretty legit tourney in terms of how hard it is to qualify for. Historically its been europe v south america for the glory, at roughly a 50-50 split. its no gimme and now the other teams are getting better also.

Book it!
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Fucking Qatar, great.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
Another Chance to be officially called World Club Champions and only play 2 matches.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 02:24:36 pm by Ocean Red »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
We're going to need Clyne back
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
No Buvac, no party

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
Everyone raves about SAS, the Torres-Gerrard-axis and fab four, but the Buvac-Clyne partnership is my favorite

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bring on yerr Independiente! Bring on Flamengo by the score....

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
Anybody know when it would be played?

Last group stage game of the CL is December 10/11
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Anybody know when it would be played?

Last group stage game of the CL is December 10/11
Normally the week following.
AHA!

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
Call it "losing mentality" or whatever but if it is in december send the reserves and focus on the league. Does anybody remember the winners of this at all?
If you remember the winners of the Champions League then you remember the winners of this since 2013 at least

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
We've never won it and you get to wear that gold patch for a little while too. Don't see any harm in trying to win this, we shouldn't have to rely on our absolute strongest team to do so.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Wait, weren't we not going to play in the Club World Cup? What changed?

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
6 months and we could have 3 more trophies.  8)

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan

Nothing - just the media were reporting it wrong

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
If you remember the winners of the Champions League then you remember the winners of this since 2013 at least

Have no clue to be honest, just assuming the european team usually wins this. Would obviously remember it if we won and I might moderate my opinion when the fixture list is published as every trophy is welcome. I just want the league so bad and every point is vital

Offline Roblaar

• Anny Roader
The club should say how much money they will make from this if they win it and then promise to use it to reduce the price of tickets.

An extra £30-50m should more than cover a tenner off home and away tickets for a season.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

There were reports that it was going to be every four years from 2021 but it seems they’re carrying on with the annual competition for now.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
Will only be a week away. The weather in Qatar is much friendlier in December, too.

Get another trophy in the bag ready for Christmas, will do for me!

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Do we need to win the European Super Cup vs Chelsea first, to get there? Or is already set on, based on the UCL victory.

While I normally couldn't care less I would not at the moment the Mentality Monsters (TM) to grab all possible silveware no matter in which format!

UCL, check! Super Cup, want it! This CWC thingie, want it! Commuity shield, want it!

And then, Premier League  :)
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Do we need to win the European Super Cup vs Chelsea first, to get there? Or is already set on, based on the UCL victory.

While I normally couldn't care less I would not at the moment the Mentality Monsters (TM) to grab all possible silveware no matter in which format!

UCL, check! Super Cup, want it! This CWC thingie, want it! Commuity shield, want it!

And then, Premier League  :)

No we don't. We go there regardless of the Super Cup result.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan

I remember Chelsea losing to some South American team as the last time a CL team didn't win it.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.

Already there. Goes straight into the semis against one of the unseeded continents (so can't play Libertadores winners until the final).

If a Middle Eastern club wins the AFC Champions League then that'd mean about 75 % chance of playing an Arabic side in the semis. If that happens I'm sure Mo would fancy to feature in that extra game since it will be like a derby to him ;) (Al-Sadd and Espérance Tunis are already qualified).
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 03:07:39 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
Someone posted this on Twitter, this gold badge will be on our new kit if we win the fifa club world cup. Looks good.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
I'm happy to have the chance of another trophy and to confirm what we already knew- that we're the best team in the world! There'll be a problem with fixture congestion but it's only two games so shouldn't be too bad.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
It's a chance to become World Club Champions, although we've never had any luck in this, last time 2005, we battered Sao Paulo in that final, had something ridiculous like 4 or 5 goals disallowed for offside, couple of them were borderline.

The CONMEBOL entrant won't be known until a few weeks before the World Club tournament, the Copa Libertadores final is on 23rd November.

Also remember their keeper Ceni pulling off a worldie save from Gerrard, possibly a free kick that was going right into the top corner.
JFT97

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
2 games max, of which the 1st which will probably be against a team we can easily play a team featuring a bunch of fringe players and kids as long as we keep a decent spine and still win easily.
Obviously it causes a future fixture pile up, but we can treat this like a mid season hot weather training break with a couple of games arranged and it might not be the worst thing.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
2 games max, of which the 1st which will probably be against a team we can easily play a team featuring a bunch of fringe players and kids as long as we keep a decent spine and still win easily.
Obviously it causes a future fixture pile up, but we can treat this like a mid season hot weather training break with a couple of games arranged and it might not be the worst thing.

Second XI currently probably looks like this, provided all those players remain in place for next season:

Mignolet-Camacho/Hoever-Gomez-Lovren-Clyne-Milner-Keïta-Oxlade-Shaqiri-Origi-Lallana

Milner could probably be used as full back in that game as well, but I'd be surprised if no left side defending backup and striker backup option arrived this summer since those are the thinner departments of the squad right now. That's still a really decent lineup, assuming all those guys still are there.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 03:21:52 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.