Author Topic: European Performances and Memories  (Read 9816 times)

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
Re: European Performances and Memories
« Reply #40 on: April 6, 2016, 05:51:58 pm »

Roma 2002
I'll include this simply because I was 12 and watched it on Teletext, which is undoubtedly the best way to experience football.

Fuckwas it!!! The young uns wont know any different, these days, being able to stream, or watch twitter, or live commentary text... that there once was a day and age where Teletext was the only way to keep up with a game!! I was 22 in 2002 but had many earlier memoies of Ceefax game watching. The most memorable was perhaps October 5th 1993. I was 13. I turned on Ceefax a bit late, i hadnt kept track of the score, I just suddenly remebered 'shit, second leg of the League Cup tie against Fulham tonight... must only be about ten munites left! Wonder whats going on'?

Turn on Ceefax... see in White text on a black background....

FOWLER 13, 21, 47, 55, 70

THAT was seminal Ceefax viewing moment. I still recall it to this day. Toshiba 14 inch piece of shit. 80s carpet and wallpaper in my folks gaff. Me as a 13 year old, mad Red. I turn on the TV, BBc1, type 302, look for League Cup latest scores.

Wait as the page goes from 1/3 to 2/3.

And see THAT.

Liverpool 5-0 Fulham

I felt something. I saw something. Astonishing. In Black, White and Green.
Thank you Ceefax.

....  sorry to derail the Euro thread but the Teletext nostalgia took hold!

TO answer the thread title... all of the games to Istanbul stick in my mind like glue... hard to choose one over the other....
Outside of 2005, I remember the Roma game (Houlliers return)...  Many Chelsea encounters... The Arsenal QF... I remember watching us lose to Leverkusen in the QF under Houllier and thinking . yes weve blown it. But LFC is back as a European force.

And so it panned out.

Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #41 on: April 6, 2016, 06:02:36 pm »
Cafu as well I think at that time?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #42 on: April 6, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »
Mike Marsh played at right back that night didn't he? Remember him playing really well.
scored the second
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 6, 2016, 07:29:04 pm »

Roma 2002
I'll include this simply because I was 12 and watched it on Teletext, which is undoubtedly the best way to experience football.

I missed the school disco for this! pic n mix and panda pops ain't got shit on us teaching Aldair, Samuel, Emerson, Batigol and Totti how to play footy.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 6, 2016, 07:47:23 pm »
Cafu as well I think at that time?
Think he was suspended and didnt play. They had one hell of team back then, could afford to bring in Cassano, Montella and Delvecchio (!!!) from the bench and their back-up for Cafu was Panucci...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: April 6, 2016, 10:06:47 pm »
Yeah 1997 is the earliest shout so far until then! One of my first memories is watching the 84 European Cup Final (or being aware of my Dad and brother watching it anyway) so apart from results I couldn't tell you how good the performances were. Winning away at Barca in 76 (?) must rank up there though.

Strangely I've seen us play twice in Barca some 29 years apart and win each time.Toshack's goal was the best of the three but Bellamy's golf swing celebration the best reaction.
Inter Milan in 65 is still my favourite european game of all time tho-probably the best atmosphere ever witnessed at Anfield.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #46 on: April 7, 2016, 09:04:41 am »
Think he was suspended and didnt play. They had one hell of team back then, could afford to bring in Cassano, Montella and Delvecchio (!!!) from the bench and their back-up for Cafu was Panucci...

Candela was very good too.

Strangely I've seen us play twice in Barca some 29 years apart and win each time.Toshack's goal was the best of the three but Bellamy's golf swing celebration the best reaction.
Inter Milan in 65 is still my favourite european game of all time tho-probably the best atmosphere ever witnessed at Anfield.

Very impressive! Love the free kick we scored in that Inter game, beautifully worked.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #47 on: April 8, 2016, 07:31:14 pm »
St Ettiene, what can I say, if you were there you know.
However, Brugge in 76 was a weird one. We knew we would have to be good over two legs, but when Phil Neale suddenly turned out shit, and was repeatedly made a fool of, the mood was one of apprehension.
We came back from the dead that night. 0-2 down (both in front of the Kop)and Cools looking like a world beater.
It was as though the Kop took a deep breath at half time and exhaled it in an incredible, mighty roar of what sounded like "fuckingerrintotheseReds". The team responded and in a second half that didn't pulsate, it throbbed like a bloody migraine. The team roared back, Kennedy R, Case and Keegan doing the Biz.
The Kop was Bedlam. I always believed what Shanks said about the Kop sucking the ball and the team towards them. This was proof if needed. The noise was like a feral roar of a load of lions being fed out on the Serengeti. People use the phrase "word salad", imagine 20,000 people roaring curses, threats and generally urging the team onto the goal, swaying surging (and dancing when we scored) all at about 120 decibels. It scared the Belgians shitless. (I also think it had an effect on them in the way they set up in 78 as they were still dazed by what happened). The history books will tell of a comeback. My memory is standing on a crush barrier being held up by my mates roaring like a kid possessed at the gentle folk around us to believe we can do it, as waves of people surged forwards as though possessed.
We did do it, and then we went to their place and came from 1-0 down to equalise through Keegan. Job done.
Carslberg don't do comebacks - we took a patent out on them!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 8, 2016, 08:16:14 pm »
For me that's the standard against which I judge most away european performances. We were 2-1 up but a perilous 2-1 with that away goal scott carson [who played really well in the first leg] let slip through his fingers [as i recall].

We were so composed and controlled in that away game. Broadly the game stunk the place out, it was slow and methodical and absolutely dire for the neutral probably.

Fuck the neutral.

What I enjoyed most about thursday night was the nullification of the game at the right times, it's enormously encouraging, however our european journey this season goes.

Yeah Carson let a soft header in, that he should have caught, as it wasn't that powerful. Juve had more chances in that first leg than they did in Turin [Ibrahimovic hitting the post, Carson saving Del Piero's shot, one on one]. Zlatan had a  chance in the second leg, he skied it over the bar, apart from that we were never threatened. Baros was wasteful in front of goal, I remember being pissed to no end as he should have scored.

But yes it was a masterclass, tactically, Rafa at his best.

Offline MakeUsDream2005

• Kopite
  • We are Liverpool tra la la la la!
« Reply #49 on: April 9, 2016, 08:37:36 pm »
Well that's my night sorted - watching our famous european games back and listening to radio city commentaries.
Wish city still did the commentary for games.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #51 on: April 9, 2016, 08:46:29 pm »
1. vs Juventus, @ Anfield, 2005
- I rate this match just slightly higher than the match vs Chelsea, as we had an even weaker side against Juventus, and prior to our match, Juventus only let in two goals in the entire competition. I think it gave us even more confidence and belief

That whole tie was something special. As I remember it, everybody expected us to sit back in the first leg at home and we did the complete opposite and surprised Juve by scoring two goals. And in the return leg, it was the opposite again. We soaked up the pressure and I don't really remember any real chances they had in that match. It could be that I've just brushed them aside over the years, but all in all I remember that game as a pretty comfortable 0-0 without any side really getting close to scoring.

That's what I loved about Rafa in Europe. That he was able to pull off some crazy stuff with a couple of misfits and Steven Gerrard... ;)
« Last Edit: April 9, 2016, 08:49:14 pm by stoa »

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #52 on: April 9, 2016, 08:47:01 pm »
Alaves was a bit nuts!!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #53 on: April 9, 2016, 09:33:52 pm »
That whole tie was something special. As I remember it, everybody expected us to sit back in the first leg at home and we did the complete opposite and surprised Juve by scoring two goals. And in the return leg, it was the opposite again. We soaked up the pressure and I don't really remember any real chances they had in that match. It could be that I've just brushed them aside over the years, but all in all I remember that game as a pretty comfortable 0-0 without any side really getting close to scoring.

That's what I loved about Rafa in Europe. That he was able to pull off some crazy stuff with a couple of misfits and Steven Gerrard... ;)

They hit the post I think, bit of a soft header and Djimi bundled it away. Zlatan put one over the bar from close range that he should have buried too. Baros missed a great chance for us after a great Xabi through ball. Think the last few minutes were relatively chanceless though.

Offline MakeUsDream2005

• Kopite
  • We are Liverpool tra la la la la!
« Reply #54 on: April 9, 2016, 09:44:58 pm »
I don't like the guy but I don't think anything, ever, will top the wonderful simplicity of Clive tyldsley's "hello, hello!" For Gerrard's goal in instanbul. It was so simple, so perfect. What everyone was thinking - is this the start of something, is this possible...I mean it probably isn't but...well, there's something to think about.
Agreed. He just can't disguise his bias against us, but his commentary that night is iconic

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #55 on: April 9, 2016, 10:21:37 pm »
Auxerre 1991 was actually pretty cool

we had never come from 2-0 down from the first leg to go through

17000 in Anfield and when Mark Walters gets the winner you would think there was triple that there, Jan Molby was brilliant that night

23000 it was mate, a close 2nd to St Ettiene for me. The Kop was incredible against Auxerre, cos it wasn't tightly packed, when we scored, esp Walters, you were thrown around like i'de never known before, it was amazing.  Was in the main stand wi me arl fella for the St Etienne game and I swear the stand shook that night! Still the best imo.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:20 am »
23000 it was mate, a close 2nd to St Ettiene for me. The Kop was incredible against Auxerre, cos it wasn't tightly packed, when we scored, esp Walters, you were thrown around like i'de never known before, it was amazing.  Was in the main stand wi me arl fella for the St Etienne game and I swear the stand shook that night! Still the best imo.
That was my first big European night, was right in the thick of it on the Kop as a snot nosed 14 year old. Fucking amazing. You're right the ground was half full but the Kop was unbelievable that night. Next week I'm taking my eldest boy, who's 8, to what will be his first really big European night. Absolutely desperate for us to win for him more than anything so he can get a taste of it. These nights stay with you for the rest of your life.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:02:56 am by cornelius »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2016, 12:09:36 am »
Juventus in 2005 was pretty special, they had quality all over the park & we came flying out of the blocks and blew them out of the water. The night was capped by a phenomenal strike from Luis Garcia.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 12:49:26 am »
My first big Euro night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op5hBhpxUy8

How many did Panathonikos bring that night?  They had the whole Road End.  They were tightly packed in the corner terrace  and the seats were 2/3rds full. Must have been at least 8,000.  A lot for back then for a long journey.

Something else I noticed, the stewards in their end all jumping round celebrating when we score the first.  Completely different to stewards these days.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:58:24 am by stephen075 »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2016, 01:04:32 am »
My first big Euro night

How many did Panathonikos bring that night?  They had the whole Road End.  They were tightly packed in the corner terrace  and the seats were 2/3rds full. Must have been at least 8,000.  A lot for back then for a long journey.

Something else I noticed, the stewards in their end all jumping round celebrating when we score the first.  Completely different to stewards these days.

Noticed a ''Munich 58'' banner in our end, disgusting.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2016, 06:02:55 pm »
Noticed a ''Munich 58'' banner in our end, disgusting.

Yeah, they were pretty standard week in and week out back then.  Not everyone liked them though.  Doesn't get away from the fact that the atmosphere was brilliant that night (from both sets of fans).
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:57 pm »
TONIGHT

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2016, 10:17:26 pm »
Tonight deffo.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 10:38:05 am »
That was my first big European night, was right in the thick of it on the Kop as a snot nosed 14 year old. Fucking amazing. You're right the ground was half full but the Kop was unbelievable that night. Next week I'm taking my eldest boy, who's 8, to what will be his first really big European night. Absolutely desperate for us to win for him more than anything so he can get a taste of it. These nights stay with you for the rest of your life.
If I could live one day of my life over and over again like Groundhog day it would be yesterday. After Istanbul I wondered if anything would ever taste as good ever again but having my eldest boy at that last night was utter perfection. Charley got high fives off Klopp, Coutinho and Firmino before the match and was in some kind of dream world all night. The finish...well, two words - Hieronymus Bosch. Strangers hugging strangers. "Walteeeerrrrrrs....Scores!!!!!" still gives me goosebumps 25 years on, now my boy has "in it goes towards Lovren...OOOOHHHHHHH AND HE'S DONE IT!!!!! LIVERPOOL HAVE COME BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!" to cherish for the rest of his life.

:scarf :scarf :scarf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2016, 01:41:46 am »
I'm so glad I started this thread, had a feeling this match would make this list !!!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2016, 04:27:46 am »
Couldn't find the Europa/League thread

But this is why we need to qualify.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2016, 04:59:34 am »
The 4-4 draw at Stamford Bridge despite we got knocked out that time. I refused to give up every time they had scored and believed until the end we could make it - and we nearly did. The away game vs Marseille the same season is among my favourites as well, no particular reason other than that Gerrard beauty.
Well I think our recent 4-3 (5-4 on aggregate) win over Dortmund was very similar to that match.

After they score twice in 6 or so minutes, within 9 minutes of the match kicking off ... we knew we had to score 3 goals, at half time we knew we missed some pretty damn good chances to pull 1 or 2 back but we didn't take our chances, that alone made me uncomfortable. Then we come out and score 1 in quick fashion, I think "ok lets go, we only need 2 goals and we are thur.. we can do this.. we will" ........ then with 30 minutes left they open us up and Reus puts the ball into the net.. "I wish we had a player like him" is what I thought to myself at the time... then Coutinho pulls 1 back, we gotta still score 2 goal tho but we are Liverpool.. we have time but it's quickly running out...........  at 3-3 I thought "ahh we matched these guys, one of the best teams in Europe... a team full of quality"   "this is a good thing.. you learn more in defeat than in victory.... I'm proud of these guys"

Then Sturridge put Milner thur, who crossed the ball onto Lovren's head..

"What the fuck was that.. shit... omg ... you learn more in defeat than victory my ass, this is BOSS"
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:01:45 am by BMW »

Offline Pope Dave

• Main Stander
  • Lick my decals off, baby
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2016, 05:30:25 am »
Fuckwas it!!! The young uns wont know any different, these days, being able to stream, or watch twitter, or live commentary text... that there once was a day and age where Teletext was the only way to keep up with a game!! I was 22 in 2002 but had many earlier memoies of Ceefax game watching. The most memorable was perhaps October 5th 1993. I was 13. I turned on Ceefax a bit late, i hadnt kept track of the score, I just suddenly remebered 'shit, second leg of the League Cup tie against Fulham tonight... must only be about ten munites left! Wonder whats going on'?

Turn on Ceefax... see in White text on a black background....

THAT was seminal Ceefax viewing moment. I still recall it to this day. Toshiba 14 inch piece of shit. 80s carpet and wallpaper in my folks gaff. Me as a 13 year old, mad Red. I turn on the TV, BBc1, type 302, look for League Cup latest scores.

Wait as the page goes from 1/3 to 2/3.

And see THAT.

Liverpool 5-0 Fulham

I felt something. I saw something. Astonishing. In Black, White and Green.
Thank you Ceefax.

....  sorry to derail the Euro thread but the Teletext nostalgia took hold!

TO answer the thread title... all of the games to Istanbul stick in my mind like glue... hard to choose one over the other....
Outside of 2005, I remember the Roma game (Houlliers return)...  Many Chelsea encounters... The Arsenal QF... I remember watching us lose to Leverkusen in the QF under Houllier and thinking . yes weve blown it. But LFC is back as a European force.

And so it panned out.

Terrific sidebar! Very nicely interjected, a wonderful bit of nostalgia there!
What's the point in coming if you're not gonna sing?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2016, 10:37:31 am »
The away performance against Juve was always a masterclass in defending.

I can't remember any details of the game, but early in the second half remember nervously tapping out the Dalglish-chant rhythm on the table in the pub, then having to keep it going for the last 30 minutes in case we'd concede if I stopped.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2016, 11:21:36 am »
Thursday night was a time machine, we were in '65..'77..'92..'05 ..now 2106...all those nights,  Inter, St.Etienne ,Auxerre , Chelsea...and many more are magical, don't waste time thinking which is the best, its all in the context of the times and the person...just be gratefull when the planets align you are around to experience them.

I will say this though , those nights which from a common perspective are the major historic moments..Inter , St.Etienne etc ...Thursday..we seem roughly to be on a 12/15 year cycle..thats how special they are.

The media ( and lets face it, us) tend to big up most European nights at Anfield and they are often not that special , the truth is the really magical ones are rare...but I tell you this, Thursday was the real deal.

Ooopsie! wrong  thread, but it fits! ;)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2016, 11:45:12 am »
Juventus in 2005 was pretty special, they had quality all over the park & we came flying out of the blocks and blew them out of the water. The night was capped by a phenomenal strike from Luis Garcia.

That is one of my favourite goals ever. We were playing so well but the shot was out of the blue, and it's so, so perfectly weighted. Oh Luis you little genius.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2016, 01:04:34 pm »
My first big Euro night

Got good memories of that one too. Second and third goals were in quick succession, so the Kop was still buzzing after the second goal when the third went in, which effectively put us in another European Cup Final. I was right at the back with my (normally fairly reserved) dad, and he went absolutely berzerk, to my wide-eyed delight! It's a cherished memory of him, that third goal. He didn't often lose his cool 8) but he went wild. He loved Ian Rush (who didn't?)

We went to the Austria Vienna game too. Main memory of that was Paul Walsh hitting a nice volley into the back of the net, from a ball that came down with snow on it.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:41 pm »
I still have fond memories of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygkVWQRZsPU

Gerrard + Liverpool + Europe was just the perfect match made in heaven, even in the twilight of his career.

While I am way too young to say personally, I imagine this must have been delightful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUK4eN7tCE
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2019, 12:58:32 am »
So lads and lasses, 3 years later how does your list look like now? :D

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2019, 02:09:13 am »
Just a few good nights since April 2016  ;D

Villarreal - Amazing night, I preferred it even more than the Dortmund game because the atmosphere was better and the fans didn't stop all night. We were in a tougher position going into the game than in the quarters as well. Dortmund were probably the better team, but we had to turn a deficit around this time, like so many times before.

Man City - One of our greatest ever European performances. When City attacked in the 2nd half the noise on the Kop was so intense I could hardly hear myself think. One of those nights where you just get swept up in the emotion of it all. Like so many European games at Anfield before hand it proved that it's the most intimidating stadium in the world bar none, even if it doesn't bounce every other Saturday.

Roma - Another amazing performance and atmosphere, slightly overshadowed by what happened outside the ground though. The last 15 minutes (and therefore next week, if you're a big shithouse like me) were a bit nervy but it still felt like a great achievement. If it had finished 5-0 I think it'd probably be up there with the top few ever, even if they weren't the best side we've ever played.

Napoli - Probably not as electric an atmosphere as any of the recent ones, but definitely felt like the year's equivalent to Olympiakos in 2004. The most important action came at the Anny Rd with Salah's goal and Alisson's save but it was a huge relief to go through. I love the UEFA Cup but Christmas would have been ruined if we'd have gone out. Great win because there was no way I thought we'd win it 1-0.

Barca - Follows on from what I said about the City game. We've seen some of the greats come here and hardly get a kick in. Messi is the greatest ever for me, he came here as a wonder kid, and then again towards the end of a ridiculous career, and his influence was nil. We have amazing players but how many games against great players has he controlled? He may have done that if not at Anfield. Enough about him though, this was all about us and felt to me like the peak of every European game at Anfield. So far.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:11:24 am by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'ŕ quoi bon ?'
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2019, 06:11:47 am »
The two nights against Juventus and Chelsea in 2005 won't ever be surpassed for me. It's just an age thing, you view the world with wide-eyed wonder when you're young. Nothing was more important than football back then. I imagine it's the same for the folks that mention Inter Milan and Saint-Étienne.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2019, 08:53:17 am »
The two nights against Juventus and Chelsea in 2005 won't ever be surpassed for me. It's just an age thing, you view the world with wide-eyed wonder when you're young. Nothing was more important than football back then. I imagine it's the same for the folks that mention Inter Milan and Saint-Étienne.

There is a scientifically proven/visible effect of nostalgia on sports memories, memories from the teen years / age 17 iirc are held most fondly.

Offline Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2019, 09:05:40 am »
Juve and Chelsea were great performances but Arsenal and Inter seem to stick in my memory when I think about my champions league nights at Anfield.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2019, 10:00:30 am »
lucky that we have so many to choose from. Since i followed us in 1990 i have had

1. Auxerre, coming from 2 down to win 3-2. A ballsy decision by Souness not to play Dean Saunders given he was our record buy, Mark Walters and Jan Molby were magnificent.

It was a good few years before there was a truly great night again. The next one was probably

2. Barcelona at home in the Uefa cup semi final in 2001. The game started my Dad said he never saw Anfield that noisy, mind you he said it a few times since. A 1-0 win to get us into a Uefa cup final which we won.

3. If group games dont count then the next one is Juventus at home in 2005, i must admit though i dont have fond memories of this game, i was flat out in work, i literally didnt get a minute that season, i was in work and there was a pub across the road, all i wanted was to see 5 minutes of that game but i was that busy the game was over before i got a chance, could only hear on the radio and i actually felt sad when the final whistle went because i never felt part of it. Of course typically as soon as the match ended i wasnt too busy (was in work until midnight). Someone asked me (who wasnt even the boss) what was wrong, when i explained all i wanted was to see 5 minutes she was like
"yeah well then if you wanted it that bad then dont come in, you get paid so shut up, if you wanted to see it go home and dont come in"

Im just thinking "shut up or i will smash your wrinkly old head through the nearest wall but you are such an ugly old bag it will probably improve you"

but...........
took unpaid leave to see

4. European cup semi final against Chelsea, 2005. Amazing, incredible atmosphere, right from the start and a backs against the wall. I watched it at home, i dont know what it is but strangely my mother just never stops belching, it gets annoying as fuck after the 5th time but jesus christ she just keeps doing it. Unbelievably rude and annoying, now my nerves were fucking shredded on the night and i didnt need this and i could even see her out of the corner of my eye looking at me, it was like she was doing it on purpose, she eventually belches like Jay sherman in the Simpsons. I had enough
"JESUS CHRIST DO YOU EVER STOP BELCHING". She has literally belched about 20 times in the space of about 15 minutes, my mam isnt afraid of anyone, least of all me but ill tell you one thing she didnt do it again for the rest of the night.

5. Chelsea in 2007, again another superb night, and into the final again, was a rush to get home from the game as some young kid was run over in dublin so it took about 2 hours to get home when it should have taken half an hour. only in the door in time and i was literally that exhausted from this game it took me a week to get over it between work and what not. I get exhausted just thinking of the game, which probably takes away from it a bit but what a night and performance. Dirk Kuyt was incredible that night.

6. Inter in 2008, Torres rattling Matterazzi so much he got sent off early doors, late doors Gerrard and Kuyt do the business. Think i was stuck in work but im sure i saw some of it, i definitely wasnt as pissed off as i was against Juventus

7 Arsenal same season, that was an absolutely fantastic match, Arsenal flew out of the blocks and could have been 3 up and then out of nowhere Sami Hyypia rattles in a header, what a goal that was. Im gonna have to google it now. Jesus I loved Sami Hyypia. When Arsenal drew level late on i was gutted, then of all people to give away a penalty it was Kolo Toure. I swear it, the last person in the world i wanted to be was Steven Gerrard taking that penalty but he rattled it home. then when Ryan Babel broke away and score it was pandemonium, I used to love when Reina ran the length of the pitch to celebrate.

8. Real Madrid 2009, we absolutely smashed them that night, 4-0, no exaggeration, no word of a lie if it wasnt for Iker Casillas we might have had double figures.

9. We had to wait a while again, but next for me is Dortmund in 2016, Europa league quarter final, that is absolutely one of the best games i have seen in recent years. Klopp hadnt been managing us long and when we went 2 down early i thought "oh well, shows how far we still have to come"

second half we just wouldnt give up, when Origi scored you thought we had a chance, then Marco Reus scored a lovely goal and you thought thats it, no way we can score three. Coutinho scored a lovely goal, i remember texting a mate going "fair fucks to us, we wont give up, this is a great match".

Even when Sakho scored you thought it would be one of them games you go down swinging then Milner floats in a cross, time stood still, i love the anticipation of the crowd for that goal, they just knew, Milner was absolutely magnificent that night, ran himself ragged and Lovren heads home, I love his celebration, id break me leg doing that but jesus christ what a night.

10. I was going to skip the next one but fuck it, Villareal semi final in 2016, it was great to get to another European final, it wasnt as dramatic as the others, we were home and dry late on but what did it for me was the support and the general intimidation Anfield created that night, the Villareal manager that morning said in the media that his side would not be intimidated and the crowd would have no effect. I remember reading that thinking, "you really shouldnt have said that"

sure enough as soon as the match started you could see they shit the bed. An own goal 7 minutes in and i think sturridge and Lallana finished them off, Emre Can ran the show

11. Man City 2018 quarter final. Early in the match they controlled things, then it was like when Ivan Drago gets the shout from the corner against Apollo creed, he has enough of being tied with and just unleashes a furious assault and thats what happened. My son was only 4-5 months old, i was desperate to get him sleeping before the match, he fell asleep about 5 minutes before kick off, it was so hard not to scream the place down in the first half. If it was boxing the fight would have been stopped. We absolute murdered them in the first half, Ox scored a peach, he nearly burst the net. A tremendous performance from front to back

12. I think PSG 2018/9 edges the Roma semi, The Roma semi good yes but we still had an away leg to come. Here we downed the oil barons, Firminos late goal was fully deserved, went nuts for that.

13. Napoli at home, I started my previous seasons ritual of downing a very strong craft beer the night of a champions league game, and it was back in style, keeper could have done better for Salah's goal but full credit to Mo, then the last gasp save from Allison. Magnificent.

14. Barcelona semi final. 2019, i will admit i didnt think we had a chance when Firmino and Salah were out. to be honest i thought it was just about not being humiliated but i had the beer out and as soon as the players walked on the pitch and heard the crowd it galvanised us all around, you just thought when you heard the crowd we have to at least give this a go, you could see the players and crowd were pumped. when 3-0 down i try to break it down to mini games.

Say if you are 3 down at half time, sometimes say to yourself, if we get one in the next 15 minutes then we have a chance, then you have to get 2 in 30 minutes. That isnt impossible but the sooner you get the next one the more time you have to get the decisive third.

Here i thought if we get an early goal it could rattle them and give us a boost, we score early and you think if we get another before half time we only need 2 more in 45 minutes. But again its 1-0 at half time and you need 3 in the second half so you need an early second half goal to make it doable. It isnt even 10 minutes into the second half and its 2-0 and its game on. Now you have over half an hour to make it level on aggregate, it doesnt look so impossible now

Every man out there is a warrior, Gini wijnaldum comes on like a man possessed, Origi runs himself into the ground and you know the rest, what an absolutely amazing amazing night.

honorable mentions and ones that could have been if group games were allowed or we just had a little bit of luck infront of goal, of we just came up short (ooops i included group games already but im fucked if im taking them out)

so the nearly list for various reasons
Genoa in 1992, PSG and Strasbourg in 1997, Roma in 2002, Olympiakos in 2004, Atletico Madrid in 2010, Basel in 2014

I will add that i think we are very lucky and privileged to have so much to choose from
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:03:08 am by Hellrazor »

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2019, 01:12:55 pm »
This video still gives me goosebumps:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8k35r