Author Topic: Pre Match Thread - Liverpool vs. Burnley - Sun 12th Mar - 16:00  (Read 57095 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88

A Complete History of Burnley
A proud founding member of the Football League, Burnley Football Club actually began life as a rugby club. And then they sold us Danny Ings and we broke him.

Burnley's Most Famous Export
Allan Mark "Boff" Whalley (born 1 January 1961) is an English musician and writer, who is perhaps best known for being the former lead guitarist for the anarcho-punk and folk band Chumbawamba.

Head 2 Head
Burnley's two previous forays into the top tier had proved to be extremely unsuccessful when pitted against Liverpool but all of that changed this season.

The Reverse Fixture - LFC's Achilles Heel In Microcosm
The difference in fortunes against the top and bottom sides of the Premier League has probably never been so well exhibited than by the juxtaposition of performances and results of the first two games of the season.

As a result of the new stand not being quite match fit, in only the second fixture of the season and off the back of a crazy win against Arsenal, Liverpool headed to Turf Moor to take on Burnley. The mood was extremely confident prior to the game but all of that came undone in the 2nd minute when Burnley scored their first after some calamitous defending at the back. Despite some hugely intimidating possession numbers Liverpool struggled to get back into the game, lacking any penetration up front and never looked like scoring. Burnley were able to bide their time, pinching another goal largely against the run of play and killing the tie as a genuine competition, all inside 40 minutes.

Quote from: BBC
First-half goals from Sam Vokes and Andre Gray gave Burnley a surprise win over Liverpool, who could not recover after some disastrous defending. Nathaniel Clyne gave the ball away for the Clarets' first goal, with Gray finding Vokes to blast home.
Steven Defour, on his Burnley debut, was allowed to charge forward and set up Gray to roll home the second. Liverpool had 81% of possession and 26 shots - but only tested Clarets keeper Tom Heaton with efforts from distance.

This lack of competitive edge against a perceived lesser side, an inability to raise their game when the opposition doesn't get paid more than them is Liverpool's soft underbelly and one which had been exposed multiple times this season. I'm not sure what's more worrying; that a par performance of this side isn't enough to defeat Burnley or that Liverpool aren't able to raise their game above average when the occasion isn't covered in glitter.

A One, Two, Three, Four, Five Man Team
Whilst the lack of depth in the side it a moot point, time and again certain player absences have been pointed too as the absolute reason for our dip in form. Although Mane's numbers do support this, statistics also tell us Can is a more effective player than Coutinho this season, something even a Liverpool Red Barber couldn't even get behind. In a period when Coutinho and Matip were out with injury, whilst not massively pretty, we managed 4 out of 7 wins.

I'd argue that what happened immediately following those injuries is the key to our recent drop in form. It was not an isolated cause but rather the culmination of three factors.

1. A squad tired from covering key injured personnel, adapting to changing personnel.
2. The reintroduction of those key injured personnel too early, both to try and arrest a dip in form and to prepare for Mane's departure to the ACON.
3. Mane's departure to the ACON.

It then took time to get key players back up to speed and for the team to re-adjust to the changes. It's my supposition that the Arsenal result was an direct indication that the influence of these factors is now greatly diminished and going forward (barring any further injuries to first 11-14) we'll see an immediate return to the pre 2017 form. Some will point to the Leicester game and say that just two games ago we were undone by lesser opposition, our old foe, but that wasn't the case, we were actually beaten by the current champions, how long they continue to look like that remains to be seen.

*The small sample size mean these numbers are not statistically valid nor do they account for the quality of the opposition.

League Position Through the Season

Injuries
Both Henderson and Sturridge will be unavailable for selection, along with long term absentee Ings. On the comeback trail, Grujic took part in the under 21's win against Reading on Monday, lasting around an hour so could have an outside chance of making the bench.

Referees
Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: S Ledger, S Long
Fourth official: N Swarbrick

Broadcasting
Sky Sports 1 from 4pm

Formation Questions
1. Origi up front?
2. Moreno at left back?
3. TAA at right and Clyne at left back?
4. Milner in midfield?
5. Score predictions?
6. Lovren straight back in or does Klavan continue after a good showing?

Predicted Starting Eleven

« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 11:22:31 am by Titi Camara »

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pre Match Thread - Liverpool vs. Burnley - Sun 12th Mar - 16:00
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2017, 12:23:22 pm »
Nice one, Titi!

Any reason you've gone for Origi instead of Firmino? I thought Bobby was on fire against Arsenal and back to his best. Have I missed an injury update or suspension somewhere? Or do you just think that Origi's more direct play will serve us better against Burnley?

Cheers for the write-up!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2017, 12:30:19 pm »
Nice one, Titi!

Any reason you've gone for Origi instead of Firmino? I thought Bobby was on fire against Arsenal and back to his best. Have I missed an injury update or suspension somewhere? Or do you just think that Origi's more direct play will serve us better against Burnley?

Cheers for the write-up!
Bobby was magic against Arsenal and whilst he put in a shift against Leicester he was really lacking that game. Origi is literally (not actually literally, he's not a horse) chomping at the bit to get out there, I think away from at home against a somewhat physical side his drive and direct running could be invaluable. Genuinely think he's earned his chance and if he can manage to occupy the two CB's of Burnley by himself the space for Mane and Phil to do the damage could be insane.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 12:58:31 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2017, 12:31:40 pm »
Bobby was magic against Arsenal and whilst he put in a shift against Leicester he was really lacking that game. Origi is literally chomping at the bit to get out there, I think away from home against a somewhat physical side his drive and direct running could be invaluable. Genuinely think he's earned his chance and if he can manage to occupy the two CB's of Burnley by himself the space for Mane and Phil to do the damage could be insane.

Don't think Origi is a bad shout. But can't see Klopp not playing Firmino to be honest.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »
Bobby was magic against Arsenal and whilst he put in a shift against Leicester he was really lacking that game. Origi is literally chomping at the bit to get out there, I think away from home against a somewhat physical side his drive and direct running could be invaluable. Genuinely think he's earned his chance and if he can manage to occupy the two CB's of Burnley by himself the space for Mane and Phil to do the damage could be insane.
Great write up Titi!!

I agree with the Origi shouts, although I'd put Firmino nominally wide left with a lot of license to come inside between the lines and put Coutinho CM with Lallana for some extra creativity + dribbling against a team who'll try and sit back.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2017, 12:40:56 pm »
I also agree with the Origi shouts, however I'd change formation, we know they'll Park the bus, let's try something a little different..

Mignolet
         Matip.      Can.    Klavan

Lallana Gini Coutinho
Mane.                                       Moreno

Firmino
                           Origi

Burnley will play narrow, let's stretch the play with Mane and Moreno, say what you want about Moreno but he's attacking and stays wide and we need width massively. Coutinho can find those slide rule passes to the wide men aswell. Origi is decent at making runs in the box, he's physical to when he wants and will be a decent threat in the air if crosses come in.

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2017, 12:41:07 pm »

Really? I know this is a fine point, but have you seen Origi walking around with a bit in his mouth? Also when did he become a horse?

Also aren't we playing them at home?
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
Going in with no expectations for this. Hope we win, should win, buts it's the sort of game we haven't won in months.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 8, 2017, 12:51:25 pm »
Really? I know this is a fine point, but have you seen Origi walking around with a bit in his mouth? Also when did he become a horse?

The English language has literally lost the word literally in it's original meaning and it's been replaced by literally the same word with a somewhat looser definition.

Yes, yes we are, trying to juggle too many plates. I blame this on the new stand not being ready in time!
« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 01:05:28 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 8, 2017, 12:56:01 pm »
I know a lot of people think we'll struggle/lose to Burnley, but I'm quietly confident that we'll do much better than in the fixture against Burnley earlier this season. I think a win against Burnley will be as important, if not more so, as beating Arsenal. Our next two games after Burnley are very winnable, so beat Burnley and we could end up with all 12 points from those games.

We are, this was meant to be the away fixture but because of the building during the summer, the fixtures were swapped.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 8, 2017, 01:02:43 pm »
I also agree with the Origi shouts, however I'd change formation, we know they'll Park the bus, let's try something a little different..

Mignolet
         Matip.      Can.    Klavan

Lallana Gini Coutinho
Mane.                                       Moreno

Firmino
                           Origi

Burnley will play narrow, let's stretch the play with Mane and Moreno, say what you want about Moreno but he's attacking and stays wide and we need width massively. Coutinho can find those slide rule passes to the wide men as well. Origi is decent at making runs in the box, he's physical to when he wants and will be a decent threat in the air if crosses come in.
Fucking hell that's a bold team! I like it! Mane as right wing back :lmao :hally :scarf Poor Lovren though :'(

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: March 8, 2017, 01:08:34 pm »
1. Origi up front?
I'd stick with Firmino in the hope he can kick on after his goal on Saturday, but I'd like to see Origi introduced early (half-time to 60 minutes) if things aren't going our way.

2. Moreno at left back?
I'd have no problem with that, it's something worth thinking about.

3. TAA at right and Clyne at left back?
Come to think of it, I think I prefer this option. TAA puts a better ball in than Moreno and though he's still got a lot to learn defensively, he's still probably better than Moreno in that respect.

4. Milner in midfield?
Another one to put in the 'option if things need changing mid-game' bracket.

5. Score predictions?
I think we'll win this - most (not all) of our bad results against bottom-half teams have come away from home and these are terrible away. 2-0 Liverpool with mane and Bobby the scorers.

Lovren for me even if it somewhat contradicts my thinking on Firmino over Origi. Klavan might have played well against Arsenal, but too often this season Lucas or Klavan have played well in one game, been praised to the heavens and then struggled in the following match. He's not perfect, but Lovren's still the most reliable partner for Matip when fit IMO.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 01:54:40 pm by joezydudek »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: March 8, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »
However it happens we have to win this. Would put us 6 clear of United and 5 clear of Arsenal.  We'll have played two more than both but it's the old points on the board argument and that starts to put the pressure on both.

Fail to win, and although we're above them it won't look so pretty,  especially with City away next (ignoring our good record against the big sides for now!).

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #13 on: March 8, 2017, 01:18:30 pm »
............lacking any penetration up front and never looked like scoring.

Sounds like me on a night out.

Anyway, thanks for the well thought out write-up Titi.

Formation Questions
1. Origi up front?.......yes I think we need his strength up front and he also helps us aerially. Firmino does better when there's room to play in.
2. Moreno at left back?.......I'd keep Milner here.
3. TAA at right and Clyne at left back?........no, Milner and Clyne.
4. Milner in midfield?......no leave well alone......, if anybody should be needed then I'd play Lucas here as he is a good passer.
5. Score predictions?........I've stopped trying to guess which team will turn up.
6. Lovren straight back in or does Klavan continue after a good showing?.........let Klavan have another run out as he played well.
#JFT97

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #14 on: March 8, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Have a feeling this will be a good match to be at, so pleased to be going :-).
I am confident we will now see the benefit of La Manga,  drills, rest etc, after the rust was knocked off by Leicester.
I don't believe it was a coincidence that we saw the best performances for a while from Milner, Firmino, Lallana, Can and Matip.
Shame Hendo unlikely to play but hopefully Can will do well again.
We need to be physical and aware for the long balls to Gray on the break. Deal with that and we should be fine. (I hope).
« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 01:21:22 pm by RogerTheRed »
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #15 on: March 8, 2017, 01:20:27 pm »
Swerve can and go for;

Lallana
Wijnaldum

Mane
Coutinho
Firmino

Origi

The 433 hasn't worked for ages against the lesser sides in the league, time for a re-think tactically rather than just personnel. Burnley won't be interested in going forward so Lallana and Wijnaldum should be enough centrally to cover any potential threat.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #16 on: March 8, 2017, 01:24:12 pm »
We need to get three points in this one badly. United, City and Arsenal all playing in the cup. Massive difference between being a couple of points ahead and them having two games in hand vs being 5 or 6 points ahead with two games in hand.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 8, 2017, 01:31:04 pm »
However it happens we have to win this. Would put us 6 clear of United and 5 clear of Arsenal.  We'll have played two more than both but it's the old points on the board argument and that starts to put the pressure on both.

Fail to win, and although we're above them it won't look so pretty,  especially with City away next (ignoring our good record against the big sides for now!).
Where's the fucking Chumbawamba joke Nick! It's not fucking good enough! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 8, 2017, 01:31:09 pm »
No chance that Firmino isn't one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #19 on: March 8, 2017, 01:33:28 pm »
Formation Questions

1. Origi up front?
No. We don't seem to be particularly good at creating chances for our no.9s. Mane-Firmino-Coutinho is our best front 3 and on their day best in the league, if we get them the ball between the lines early as possible they will cause them a lot of problems.

2. Moreno at left back?

Definitely for me. As much as I love Clyne I don't see much point of using him in this type of game, would love to see Milner - Moreno fullback combination.

Klavan as a left footer gives us a better balance and he can pass a bit at times, we need to squeeze every bit of advantage we possibly can and this would be one of the ways to do so.

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #20 on: March 8, 2017, 01:39:41 pm »
The English language has literally lost the word literally in it's original meaning and it's been replaced by literally the same word with a somewhat looser definition.

Yes, yes we are, trying to juggle too many plates. I blame this on the new stand not being ready in time!

:D Omelette this slide  :wave
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 8, 2017, 01:55:59 pm »
If for whatever reason we do have difficulty breaking them down, for the love of god keep it tight at the back. Not having another one of those games where the opposition play for a 0-0 and end up scoring three.

The longer it stays 0-0 for, the deeper and deeper they'll get and the more they'll start to panic.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #22 on: March 8, 2017, 01:59:25 pm »
Win to nil please.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #23 on: March 8, 2017, 02:31:32 pm »
BAck in the groove now, hit them hard and early. 4-0 redmen.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 8, 2017, 02:34:52 pm »
The have 2 away points all season, albeit one coming at Old Trafford. So yeah, once again, no excuses
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #25 on: March 8, 2017, 03:05:35 pm »
No sign of Matip, Firmino and Henderson in training pictures unless I am mistaken.
JFT97

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #26 on: March 8, 2017, 03:18:04 pm »
They will sit back and hit on the counter. Ultimate test for us. Gray scored against us at Turf Moor and he's been scoring for fun in recent games as well. Also something interesting is that they've earned as well as conceded quite a few penalty's in last few games. Hope Mignolet is already studiying the PK takers (Gray). Also, our players (mainly Mane and Coutinho) need to run at their defenders and trying to get fouled inside the box.

I feel Origi over Fimino is a good shout. 2 of our goals against Arsenal came on the counter. The Mane goal was a 4 v 3 situation inside the box when we passed around to open the defense but we still had Mane pretty open to take the shot. Origi brings a threat both on counter attack and also against a packed defense ( the chance where he hit the post). I feel that quality would be essential in this game. Rest of the team I would keep the same. As I mentioned earlier, Milner will be needed for PK duty. I wouldn't want to risk bringing Moreno in this game.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 8, 2017, 03:27:57 pm »
here we go again

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 8, 2017, 03:35:11 pm »
Gray is that typical forward we traditionally struggle against. We'd need to be on our toes to prevent his direct running at Klavan / Lovren.

I absolutely hated that we lost to these back at the start of season. Hopefully we'll smash them on Sunday. I agree with the general consensus that Moreno needs to start.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 8, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »
These lot are 12/1 to beat us. It's all set up fr them isn't it
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: March 8, 2017, 03:46:09 pm »
Excellent write-up

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #31 on: March 8, 2017, 03:47:15 pm »
They'll park the bus, hopefully we deal with it.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 8, 2017, 03:48:36 pm »
Excellent write-up
Cheers Superlambanana 8) :wave
They'll park the bus, hopefully we deal with it.
Maybe we could get the guys in that did the Crystal Palace bus?

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 8, 2017, 03:54:47 pm »
I don't see (m)any changes to the side assuming Henderson is still injured. Lovren is the only one that will come in if he's ready.

Klopp didn't chop and change when we were on a horrible run, so not sure why he would after a good win.

Migs

Clyne   Matip    Lovren    Milner

Can

Lallana                      Wijnaldum

Mane         Firmino    Countinho

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 8, 2017, 04:00:08 pm »
off topic a bit, but Can may leave in the summer, hes on 35k a week and wants to double his wages, and we're not willing to give him that

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #35 on: March 8, 2017, 04:02:22 pm »
off topic a bit, but Can may leave in the summer, hes on 35k a week and wants to double his wages, and we're not willing to give him that

Has he earned it? I would say no.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #36 on: March 8, 2017, 04:02:43 pm »
Got a ticket for this one and can't wait. Think we'll be up for it and will get the three points.

Would be inclined to keep Klavan in ahead of Lovren, to be honest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've won every game with Ragy and Joel in the middle together. Think Klavan is a handy player that distributes the ball pretty good.

Can understand the calls for Divock and they maybe plausible with Phil to drop back in a three. Hopefully Hendo is good to go, though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 8, 2017, 04:04:48 pm »

i agree

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #38 on: March 8, 2017, 04:16:33 pm »
He's a good squad player when played in his right position. We've got enough holes to fill in the squad/team, why make our summer harder than it should be? Klopp clearly wants him to stay.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 8, 2017, 04:16:34 pm »
Hope there's a middle ground somewhere. We shouldnt let him go.