Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 106241 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Cat advice thread
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:42:30 pm »
Found the dog version of this thread but couldn't find a cat version

So this is the position I'm currently in

Looks like we are taking ownership of a 6 week old kitten next week (all been checked over by a vet. all healthy etc)

Now I'm not a pet person. Not in a mean way. I just don't want the extra responsibility.

But now that I am in a more stable job and after my missus found that our tenancy agreement does not contain a no pets clause I have run out of excuses :P

Now I have no problem looking after her (feeding, cleaning up after her etc) and my missus grew up with cats so knows what to expect. She will be taking the bulk of the responsibilities.

The only main responsibility I'm taking on at the moment is cat-proofing all my belongings (most importantly the jungle of cables and wires behind the TV).

All I know is that you dont become an owner of a cat. You become a slave to them.

So any advice?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:49:11 pm »
I will not buy a cat until they find a way for them to stay as kittens all their life.
But it's not that much work mate. Just buy some food and some litter sand. It takes care of itself.

And I'll not buy a dog until they can pick up their own shit and put it in the bin.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:51:01 pm »
Get a pen and add "No pets" somewhere in the tenancy agreement. Or get a new missus... ;)

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:51:40 pm »
I was in same boat. But to be fair, soon as the cat was in the house it was brilliant.

Dead easy to look after.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »
I will not buy a cat until they find a way for them to stay as kittens all their life.
But it's not that much work mate. Just buy some food and some litter sand. It takes care of itself.

And I'll not buy a dog until they can pick up their own shit and put it in the bin.
Pretty much it. Although I could be persuaded to get a cat that will grow into an adult as long as it was well chilled out, and also didn't moult all over the place. Don't wreck my stuff, and the whole self-cleaning, mainly self-amusing thing makes good sense for a little mate of another species setting up shop in my home, to fuss over whenever the feeling takes me. Had a couple of awesome kitties growing up.

Would love a dog, but really can't be arsed cleaning up its crap all the time and all that. Someone design a canine-feline hybrid with the best both worlds, and then we're talking.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:04:46 pm »
It is impossible to even think about how attached you will become to your cat/dog until you actually get it. They will become like your child and you will get hours of pleasure watching them play, learn and grow and the first time that they show you affection is wonderful and you will always want more.
Cats are quite funny with their attention in that they will only give it to you when they want to and that is not always when you want it. One of my cats O'Malley likes to climb up my back and sit on my shoulder like a parrot. He headbutts me when he comes for a cuddle and he likes to lay in my lap. The only problems with that is that he will flex his claws because he is relaxing and they stick in my leg and he also will have a sly playful bite at my fingers while I tickle him.
You can have a house cat so that they don't go out or you can leave them out. If they stay in you have to keep the litter tray fresh and clean or it will get rather smelly. They need cat biscuits, fresh water every day and some treats and you are away to go...easy!!!
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:12:51 pm »
Get a water spray bottle. Whenever it jumps onto a surface you dont want it to, or goes towards the wires you dont want it to. Spray it. It will soon associate the spraying with the activity and refrain from doing it. Always keep a cats water seperate from its food, like the other side of the room. Cat's wont drink if their water is too close.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 02:27:38 pm »
Cats are boss. That's my contribution.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 02:28:14 pm »
Hello...
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »
Are they indoor cats or outside? Plus what breed are they? Makes a huge difference in what you'll end up seeing especially as you're only getting one. Some are more vocal than others, some more energetic. It'll also be potentially looking a lot more at you to provide them with company than if it had another cat to play with.

One of our two Bengal cats, loves water and will happy paddle in it. So the water (dog) bowl is kept in the bath otherwise the water all ends up on the bathroom floor. The other is a greedy bugger, and so he walks on my sleeping fiancé at 4am until she gets up and feeds him. They are both incredibly affectionate and it's great fun playing with them or having them on my lap/or finding them come into the bedroom and cuddling up behind my knees as I sleep.

Having cats is great. When I finally get enough money to move from the flat to a house then the fun will start when we can finally get a dog too :)

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 02:37:16 pm »
I'm in the same boat. I'm a dog person, my wife's a cat person but I don't have time to look after a dog. We've go two little girls (3 & 5) and they have been pestering for a cat too (having had pro-cat poison dripped in their ear by the wife).

Two house cats would be best where we live but don't they make the house stink?

Am I better off buying two kittens together so they grow up together or will they fight?
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »
Begone foul fiend! ;D

Could have said ' dog gone you twat ' ;) Pussy :)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »
Could have said ' dog gone you twat ' ;) Pussy :)

Dammit! I cat believe I didn't think of that. So purr for me :)

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 02:50:05 pm »
I'm in the same boat. I'm a dog person, my wife's a cat person but I don't have time to look after a dog. We've go two little girls (3 & 5) and they have been pestering for a cat too (having had pro-cat poison dripped in their ear by the wife).

Two house cats would be best where we live but don't they make the house stink?

Am I better off buying two kittens together so they grow up together or will they fight?

Cats are a lot less smelly than dogs. Wet dog smell is quite pungent and most dogs like to roll in lots of smelly things which isn't nice back in the house. I grew up in a house with cats and dogs and would love to have both. As long as you keep a cat litter tray clean then you'll be fine.

If you get two kittens together then they'll normally be fine, it's when you bring another cat (or dog) in later that problems can arise. Definitely don't buy kittens though, so many rescue centres are overflowing with kittens and cats (from the idiots who don't neuter their pets) and you can hugely help them out by taking one or two from them.

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »
Cats are a lot less smelly than dogs. Wet dog smell is quite pungent and most dogs like to roll in lots of smelly things which isn't nice back in the house. I grew up in a house with cats and dogs and would love to have both. As long as you keep a cat litter tray clean then you'll be fine.

If you get two kittens together then they'll normally be fine, it's when you bring another cat (or dog) in later that problems can arise. Definitely don't buy kittens though, so many rescue centres are overflowing with kittens and cats (from the idiots who don't neuter their pets) and you can hugely help them out by taking one or two from them.

Thanks, I think I'll be getting them in the autumn after the summer holidays.

Yes, I was going to go to a rescue centre for them. There's one out by Formby isn't there?
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »
I'm allergic to Cats. Luckily I think they're shit anyway
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 03:07:37 pm »
Cats are a lot less smelly than dogs.

But cat shit is uniquely evil smelling. Fortunately cats really don't shit in their own back yard. However, the sooner they do their business outside, the more pleasant your life will be.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »
I've had Gizmo for the nearly 16 years now and like Jason said he’s pretty much another family member all you need to do is feed them, everything else their happy to do themselves, but as a kitten it’s good to get them into certain things like giving them baths or only feeding them at certain times, mine has got a few bad habits which it’s now too late to fix.

One of the more annoying habits gizmo has is that he climbs up through my bedroom window rather than wait at the front door so when we let him out at night, about 4 am he'll decide he wants to come in so he'll climb up to my bedroom window and just tap at the window until I let him in.

you can ignore him all you want but all he does is start tapping at the window before meowing, so once you let him in he spends 10 mins sniffing the window before coming in and just lying at the bottom of your bed thinking he’s going to sleep but twenty minutes later he’s walking all over you letting you know he wants fed.

The annoying thing is he doesn't bother anyone else bar me, whole family can be home but wont disturb them as soon as I come in after work he’s following me about wanting fed, although I'm partly to blame for that because I give him raw meat now and again  which he loves once hes fed he'll just find a warm spot in the house and sleep untill he needs to go outside when he was younger he would just sit at the front door which would let us know he wants out, nowadays we keep a litter tray for him as he sometimes doesnt want to go out

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »
Thanks, I think I'll be getting them in the autumn after the summer holidays.

Yes, I was going to go to a rescue centre for them. There's one out by Formby isn't there?

Sorry, I'm down in London. My fiancé volunteered for years at one local to us and it's heartbreaking just how many cats and kittens would come in every week, though obviously rewarding when one is re-homed. You're probably going to struggle to come away with just two kittens as your two daughters will probably fall in love with every single one there!

I'm sure once you get them you'll be converted and be a cat lover before you know it. Just watch out for toes sticking out of the bottom of the duvet, some cats won't be able to resist!

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 03:27:47 pm »
But cat shit is uniquely evil smelling. Fortunately cats really don't shit in their own back yard. However, the sooner they do their business outside, the more pleasant your life will be.

Having scooped a lot of my own (indoor) cats' shit and having also picked up a lot of Golden Retrieve/Weirmaraner/German Shepherd shit too, then I'd say they can both be absolutely abhorrent at times and not that bad at others.

Certain litters are better than others for keeping the smell to a minimum, and then constant and vigilant cleaning of a tray will ensure it is never awful. It only gets smelly if the owner leaves the tray for days at a time between cleans.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 04:00:00 pm »
First off, please try and change the schedule so that the kitten does not leave its mother until 8 weeks old. This is the minimum recommended age to re-home a kitten. If its going to be an only cat (which I'm assuming, since you don't seem so keen to have one, let alone two) there can be psychological problems in the future if you remove from mother at only six weeks.

Because of this, I would be concerned that your girlfriend has not thought this through and may only want a cute kitten. They grow up. They are armed with sharp weapons. You don't want a disturbed adult kitty with that weaponry.

You need to decide if it is going to be an indoor or outdoor cat. This decision will influence a lot of further decisions, particularly on things like litter trays and house training/keeping it amused.

You will need to plan for the four to six month point when it will be neutered. Under no circumstances allow a cat to remain 'whole'. There's way too many unwanted kittens in the world. This can be expensive (not enormously, but depends on your means). Also, for male cats particularly, not getting it done early can mean spraying. And believe me, you don't want to be in a house that has a spraying cat.

If you intend to have an indoor cat, best to feed it dry food. This radically reduces any smell from poo, and there are many different types that can moderate things such as fur ball tendencies, getting overweight, issues from sterilisation etc. Choose a good litter and ideally a covered litter tray (cats don't like being watched when going to the toilet, and well behaved cats like to bury their doings well, which can lead to litter being showered over the floor - a cover reduces/prevents this without discouraging the cat from burying things - which is good behaviour you want to encourage).

If it's an outdoor cat, be prepared for dead things. Or semi-alive things. My cat has brought home everything from a decomposing shrew collection running to twenty plus corpses to a still furious fully grown seagull that covered the house in unimaginable shite. Oh, and next door's pet rabbits. Also, if you live near busy roads, be prepared for the unutterable heartbreak of your beloved pet being killed. Cats are enormously intelligent but they don't get the concept of cars. (I once had a wonderfully clever siamese who crossed the road using the pelican crossing. He was very social and would wait with the people and cross with them. He was killed one early morning on the crossing, where he had no-one to press the button so had marched across safe in the knowledge that this was where it was correct to avoid the cars. He was hit by a speeding car).

Happy to try and help whenever something comes up - but please, please don't get the kitten until it's eight weeks at least.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:02:31 pm by The Repeated Meme »
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:48 pm »
First off, please try and change the schedule so that the kitten does not leave its mother until 8 weeks old. This is the minimum recommended age to re-home a kitten. If its going to be an only cat (which I'm assuming, since you don't seem so keen to have one, let alone two) there can be psychological problems in the future if you remove from mother at only six weeks.

Because of this, I would be concerned that your girlfriend has not thought this through and may only want a cute kitten. They grow up. They are armed with sharp weapons. You don't want a disturbed adult kitty with that weaponry.

You need to decide if it is going to be an indoor or outdoor cat. This decision will influence a lot of further decisions, particularly on things like litter trays and house training/keeping it amused.

You will need to plan for the four to six month point when it will be neutered. Under no circumstances allow a cat to remain 'whole'. There's way too many unwanted kittens in the world. This can be expensive (not enormously, but depends on your means). Also, for male cats particularly, not getting it done early can mean spraying. And believe me, you don't want to be in a house that has a spraying cat.

If you intend to have an indoor cat, best to feed it dry food. This radically reduces any smell from poo, and there are many different types that can moderate things such as fur ball tendencies, getting overweight, issues from sterilisation etc. Choose a good litter and ideally a covered litter tray (cats don't like being watched when going to the toilet, and well behaved cats like to bury their doings well, which can lead to litter being showered over the floor - a cover reduces/prevents this without discouraging the cat from burying things - which is good behaviour you want to encourage).

If it's an outdoor cat, be prepared for dead things. Or semi-alive things. My cat has brought home everything from a decomposing shrew collection running to twenty plus corpses to a still furious fully grown seagull that covered the house in unimaginable shite. Oh, and next door's pet rabbits. Also, if you live near busy roads, be prepared for the unutterable heartbreak of your beloved pet being killed. Cats are enormously intelligent but they don't get the concept of cars. (I once had a wonderfully clever siamese who crossed the road using the pelican crossing. He was very social and would wait with the people and cross with them. He was killed one early morning on the crossing, where he had no-one to press the button so had marched across safe in the knowledge that this was where it was correct to avoid the cars. He was hit by a speeding car).

Happy to try and help whenever something comes up - but please, please don't get the kitten until it's eight weeks at least.

Great post.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 04:35:57 pm »
Keeping cats inside is arlarse and cruel. My kitten decapitated a mouse in our kitchen at 10 weeks old. Solid that cat im telling ya!

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 05:36:33 pm »
Keeping cats inside is arlarse and cruel. My kitten decapitated a mouse in our kitchen at 10 weeks old. Solid that cat im telling ya!

We've had our cat for about a year now, he was about 9 months old when we got him but they can never be 100% sure becuase he was a rescue cat. He loves going outside and he was a nutter before he could go out. We played with him loads to tire him out but he'd still have so much energy. Once he was allowed out though he calmed down so much. He's in for most of the day and will pop out sometimes, but generally goes out at night at about 10/11pm and then comes back in at about 6.30am the next morning. I live on a side road off a busy main road but he never seems to venture up there from what we can tell, and it is a lot quieter at night obviously when he's mainly out anyway.

As people have said having a cat is not really difficult in terms of looking after them, they're such clean animals and especially if they go outside you don't need to worry about cleaning up shit or anything like that. My cat is very much his own boss and will happily give you a little "fuck off now" swipe when he's had enough of you but he's also very affectionate, relaxed and friendly. He will run to the front door like a dog when he hears someone coming in to go and say hello to them, but they're all different really.

If you do get a rescue cat then you will normally have to pay a fee but all of their injections will be done and they'll be neutered and chipped so that's all taken care of.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 06:07:35 pm »
First off......

Thank you for all the good advice.

Just some points.

The kitten was 6 weeks when we found out they needed a new home last week. We are picking her up next week so will be 8 weeks when we pick her up. She will be staying with her mother til then. Sorry if I wasn't clear. She is also getting litter tray trained at the moment.

The picture and the more negative aspects of my post were tongue in cheek. I will be personally be involved as much as possible. If I was dead set against it and not willing to be involved then we wouldn't be getting one. One of the reasons why I'm not a pet person is I cant stand these fair weather pet owners who dont take pet ownership seriously. I will not be one of those people. Hence the reason for this post because I want to be as prepared as I can be.

My Girlfriend is certainly taking this more seriously than you are making out. Sure there's the 'awww its sooooo cute'  side of things. But she has been a cat owner since she was a child so understands what is involved. We are not going into this blind and certainly not getting into this for the cute factor

She will be an indoor cat. We live in a flat. But we do have a very good balcony so will be allowed to roam outside. We have a covered litter tray and will be using dry cat food.

And of course she will be getting neutered and micro chipped and the earliest possible chance (plus insurance).

Thanks for all the advice. Nice to have this on here

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »
Thank you for all the good advice.

Just some points.

The kitten was 6 weeks when we found out they needed a new home last week. We are picking her up next week so will be 8 weeks when we pick her up. She will be staying with her mother til then. Sorry if I wasn't clear. She is also getting litter tray trained at the moment.

The picture and the more negative aspects of my post were tongue in cheek. I will be personally be involved as much as possible. If I was dead set against it and not willing to be involved then we wouldn't be getting one. One of the reasons why I'm not a pet person is I cant stand these fair weather pet owners who dont take pet ownership seriously. I will not be one of those people. Hence the reason for this post because I want to be as prepared as I can be.

My Girlfriend is certainly taking this more seriously than you are making out. Sure there's the 'awww its sooooo cute'  side of things. But she has been a cat owner since she was a child so understands what is involved. We are not going into this blind and certainly not getting into this for the cute factor

She will be an indoor cat. We live in a flat. But we do have a very good balcony so will be allowed to roam outside. We have a covered litter tray and will be using dry cat food.

And of course she will be getting neutered and micro chipped and the earliest possible chance (plus insurance).

Thanks for all the advice. Nice to have this on here

I would strongly advise against that. If it's an indoor cat, it has to be a true indoor cat. If it has access to a balcony, it will become an outdoor cat. If the balcony is any way off the ground, the cat will hurt itself. I've seen a cat run through a thin mesh divider trying to get at a bird outside. Any access to a raised balcony and you could have an avoidable accident
Better looking than Samie.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 06:29:12 pm »
I would strongly advise against that. If it's an indoor cat, it has to be a true indoor cat. If it has access to a balcony, it will become an outdoor cat. If the balcony is any way off the ground, the cat will hurt itself. I've seen a cat run through a thin mesh divider trying to get at a bird outside. Any access to a raised balcony and you could have an avoidable accident

The balcony will be chicken wired and we are talking about when she is much older and with proper supervision. Obviously while she is a kitten she will be very much an indoor cat

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 06:50:57 pm »
Echoing what some other people said...

1. Cats are pretty easy to take care of. The biggest annoyance is cleaning out the litter box. Do it regularly and you'll keep the smell to a minimum.
2. Brush your cat once in a while ESPECIALLY if it has long fur. It helps untangle plus it eliminates some of what would be shed around the house. That said, expect the cat to vomit out a hair ball every few weeks. Not the most pleasant thing, but hey you'd do the same if you licked fur 10 times a day.  :P
3. Please don't have the cat declawed. It's cruel, and it's said that it alters the way the cat walks thereafter. Plus you are removing the biggest safety the cat has if scared. It can't attack, and it can't effectively run up a tree to escape. Get it a scratching "tree" for your house and bring him over to it whenever he starts sharpening his claws on furniture.

Don't bother spending a billion dollars on cat toys. Cats get hours of fun out of jumping in empty paper grocery bags, cardboard boxes and swatting rolled up wads of paper around. They will chew on them but won't eat them, no worries.

Cats are great! They all have different personalities. Some like to sit on your lap, others don't (usually bigger ones) but will curl up next to you. They won't come running to you like a dog every time you want them to, but they show affection in their own way.  There's few things that make you smile more in life than waking up and having a cat purring in your face at night and him wanting to curl up on your bed next to you, or having him jump on your desk while you're on your computer, walking across your keyboard and rubbing up against you to keep you company.  :)
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 09:14:24 pm »
Cats are boss. That's my contribution.

My contribution is to agree with this 100% - cats are the best. I rescued 4 of them from outside my house (I had 29 alley cats that came to my yard and I put dry food out for them two times a day) - two of them had bad bites on their leg when they were very young, so I took them to the vet and I couldn't stand the idea of them getting bitten again, so I kept them. The other two were twins and they were my destiny, I could tell just from looking at them, so I brought them in as well.

The one thing I would strongly advise is to keep them inside. I say this because if you don't, you will die from worry many times. You are getting him/her very young and they won't really know the difference at not being able to go outside - they will adapt. It's the same kind of thing as spaying/neutering - they don't dwell on the fact that they can't have a shag - their brains are the size of a pecan. It does them no harm. I know it's more natural for them to go out, but I always felt like I was keeping them safe and loved and that was a fair trade-off for denying them the outdoors.

Just make sure you scoop their sand regularly (once a day or every two days at the outside) and you won't have any problems. If you give them dry food, it is a good idea to look for one that says something about "protecting against urinary tract infection" - if the cat can't easily digest the food, it could get an infection in there very easily. It is the biggest health problem we face with cats. I actually saved the baby twin's life a few years ago when he had an infection - I read on the internet that if you mix wet pumpkin "flesh" (what the fuck do you call pumpkin meat?) in with wet cat food, it will help break down the blockages, and it worked.  Kittens tend to grow into the cats that you raise them to be, same as kids - if you are playful and loving and attentive (within reason) to the cat, it will be an awesome plus in your life.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 09:45:01 am »
Get a water spray bottle. Whenever it jumps onto a surface you dont want it to, or goes towards the wires you dont want it to. Spray it. It will soon associate the spraying with the activity and refrain from doing it. Always keep a cats water seperate from its food, like the other side of the room. Cat's wont drink if their water is too close.

Each one of our four cats have those double bowl jobs. 1 bit for food and the other for water. They've no issues with drinking out of it with the food beside it. What they do have issues with is eating out of their own bowls. We've 2 adult and 2 kittens. The adult cats eat the kitten food and vice versa.

Gazza, get a laser pen. It'll stop the cat getting lazy, and you don't need to move  :D

Oh, and keep it outside the bedroom when you're having sex. It will a) watch throughout as if it wants to join in, and b) put her off as she "can't have sex while the cat is watching, it's just weird."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:54:14 am by Barney. »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 09:51:32 am »
The one thing I would strongly advise is to keep them inside. I say this because if you don't, you will die from worry many times. You are getting him/her very young and they won't really know the difference at not being able to go outside - they will adapt. It's the same kind of thing as spaying/neutering - they don't dwell on the fact that they can't have a shag - their brains are the size of a pecan. It does them no harm. I know it's more natural for them to go out, but I always felt like I was keeping them safe and loved and that was a fair trade-off for denying them the outdoors.

Cats should not be kept inside, unless of course they're living in a flat with only a balcony. You're denying them having a natural cat life. They're hunters. What the hell are they going to hunt when they're locked up inside all day and night. They're much happier being let outside aswell. You can't keep a cat indoors for selfish reasons. You can hardly call it a trade off when the cat isn't able to give you an opinion as to whether it's fair or not.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 09:59:53 am »

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:53 am »
Alongside the great advice, are we allowed to have a select few pics/vids of particularly a-d'awww-able little cuties, like with the feeble excuse of finding out the breed or sump'n?

This (pure Siamese?) mog is absolutely gorgeous:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEg4SEch27w&amp;feature=kp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vEg4SEch27w&amp;feature=kp</a>

And also, I'm quite fully aware this is a puppy, but... *melts into puddlle of slush*

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N8G4YgQyEMk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N8G4YgQyEMk</a>

I WANT THAT ONE GIMME THAT ONE

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 11:13:20 am »
Found the dog version of this thread but couldn't find a cat version

So this is the position I'm currently in

Looks like we are taking ownership of a 6 week old kitten next week (all been checked over by a vet. all healthy etc)

Now I'm not a pet person. Not in a mean way. I just don't want the extra responsibility.

But now that I am in a more stable job and after my missus found that our tenancy agreement does not contain a no pets clause I have run out of excuses :P

Now I have no problem looking after her (feeding, cleaning up after her etc) and my missus grew up with cats so knows what to expect. She will be taking the bulk of the responsibilities.

The only main responsibility I'm taking on at the moment is cat-proofing all my belongings (most importantly the jungle of cables and wires behind the TV).

All I know is that you dont become an owner of a cat. You become a slave to them.

So any advice?

Interesting.

I was in exactly the same position about two years ago now. My girlfriend had been rabbiting on, and on, and on about getting a cat for a year, we moved flats into one that allowed pets so I relented. We got two kittens (brother and sister). Bizarrely enough, when the girlfriend "played away" and we split up, I've ended up keeping the cats (who are now two and one of them is a fucking brute).

In terms of cat proofing wires etc - I wouldn't worry toooo much, they're not big chewers (you'd have more to worry about with rabbits, guinea pigs etc). What I would say is this - at eight weeks they will NOT be fully litter trained! So you'll have some work on your hands there.

In terms of keeping it in a flat, how big are we talking? They grow up quickly...

Herby

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 11:57:25 am »

Why did I read that expecting to read how you had trained a load of cats a few years ago............

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »
Cats look after themselves pretty much. We've had one cat for 3 years now and he went missing a month ago, pretty gutted.

When we first started letting him out he would bring back mice and frogs etc, but a good flick of the ears each time he did it eventually sunk in and he stopped actually brining them into the house. They'd simply be left outside.

The worst one was when I saw him running around the garden with a rabbit in his gob! Had to laugh though. Had to ask them to 'break it up, boys' and let the rabbit make his escape while I grabbed the cat.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2014, 12:27:44 pm »
Cats should not be kept inside, unless of course they're living in a flat with only a balcony. You're denying them having a natural cat life. They're hunters. What the hell are they going to hunt when they're locked up inside all day and night. They're much happier being let outside aswell. You can't keep a cat indoors for selfish reasons. You can hardly call it a trade off when the cat isn't able to give you an opinion as to whether it's fair or not.
Some breeds are actually supposed to be kept indoors though. We had several ragdolls growing up and they were kept inside. Certain breeds like ragdolls can be too trusting (around dogs etc.) to be safe outdoors without supervision.
XBL: Flash6289

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2014, 01:18:12 pm »
Why did I read that expecting to read how you had trained a load of cats a few years ago............

They won 2-1 with muffins scoring in the 90th minute.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »
It was kept a low-scoring affair mainly because they played the catenaccio so well.