Author Topic: Harry Maguire considering his options thread  (Read 3277937 times)

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: United - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - 2018-21: Good Night Sweet Prince
« Reply #27120 on: November 25, 2021, 04:16:43 pm »
This is their Houllier appointment.

To change the club top to bottom into the modern era.

Sadly Fergie's meddling will cease, i just hope they do not get ETH in the summer.

Ethereum?

I thought that was Man City’s move.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #27121 on: November 25, 2021, 04:20:28 pm »
Don’t fancy Pogba’s chances under Rangnick for the next few months or Ronaldo  :P

Will he turn the midfield into a pressing machine? That’s his game.   

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #27122 on: November 25, 2021, 04:28:07 pm »
One German cup and 2nd division title in 700 games for the new manager. That's so shite it isn't even funny. I think they're in trouble for a good few years going forward, but will no doubt have to get it right eventually with their resources.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #27123 on: November 25, 2021, 04:28:43 pm »
Damn it Poch, all you had to do was beat City and you'd have the Man Utd job.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #27124 on: November 25, 2021, 04:29:31 pm »
One German cup and 2nd division title in 700 games for the new manager. That's so shite it isn't even funny. I think they're in trouble for a good few years going forward, but will no doubt have to get it right eventually with their resources.

This.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27125 on: November 25, 2021, 04:30:45 pm »
Ahem

The piss your kecks thread is here https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=335810.0

This is the piss take thread thank you very much :wave
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #27126 on: November 25, 2021, 04:39:43 pm »
@Zonal_Marking

Rangnick has managed once before at Old Trafford and his team got absolutely played off the park by Darron Gibson in a Champions League semi-final. Hopefully he can similarly transform other academy products into world-beaters
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #27127 on: November 25, 2021, 04:39:59 pm »
No pleased about the clown show ending with Rangnick at helm.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27128 on: November 25, 2021, 04:41:16 pm »
Stinks of "We want a German manager and we want one now!"

Seen what Klopp and Tuchel have done and decide its a case of any German will emulate them.  I reckon Boris Becker and the ghost of Ludwig Van Beethoven were on their long list.

This said, Rangnick a decent appointment in regards to what they have had or have now.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #27129 on: November 25, 2021, 04:41:21 pm »
Interesting. If he does well then would they even go for Zidane or Pochettino? They'll probably offer him a long term contract at the end of the season. On paper this is probably one of the very few things they've done right since Fergie left.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #27130 on: November 25, 2021, 04:43:00 pm »

Ragnick is basically Bielsa. Very good template manager but a 60 something who has never actually won shit.

A good interim appointment though. I wouldn't want him involved there beyond this season because he'd be good for them behind the scenes among a sea of fools.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27131 on: November 25, 2021, 04:43:02 pm »
Some of you have barely survived the last 9 years of the mancs being shite heaven knows how you will do now they have someone have competent it seems.  ;D

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #27132 on: November 25, 2021, 04:44:15 pm »
@Zonal_Marking

Rangnick has managed once before at Old Trafford and his team got absolutely played off the park by Darron Gibson in a Champions League semi-final. Hopefully he can similarly transform other academy products into world-beaters

Schalke were an embarrassment in that tie (for a semi final). The first leg was at Schalke and Neuer saved it from being about 10-0.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #27133 on: November 25, 2021, 04:46:29 pm »
DIsappointing that they would appoint someone like that. Wherever he goes he seems to have a positive and lasting impact, but also demands control and time.
So I find it hard to believe they would buy-in to what you would expect his approach and demands would be. I don't quite get the interim bit, doesn't seem to fit, but hey I guess they are probably throwing a lot of money at him.
talking about moving him upstairs to the Technical Department at the end of the season, the again if he does well I guess he could stay on beyond the end of the season.

Clearly he's a major improvement on Solskjaer but that's not exactly the hardest thing to achieve.

It could work but then again Van Gaal was supposedly an improvement on Moyes but never got the backing of the fans, Mourinho an improvement on Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal but again never really got the backing of the fans, Ole a major downgrade on anyone appointed in the post-Ferguson era yet got backed by the fans to the hilt including in the game where we battered them and City comprehensively outplayed them on their own pitch.  I imagine there will be many fans disappointed in who they look like appointing too!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #27134 on: November 25, 2021, 04:47:38 pm »
Schalke were an embarrassment in that tie (for a semi final). The first leg was at Schalke and Neuer saved it from being about 10-0.
United played Schalke and a well-past-it Wenger era Arsenal in Champions League semis. Shouldn't have been allowed. Thankfully Barcelona gave them a lesson in those finals.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #27135 on: November 25, 2021, 04:50:53 pm »
it has been too painful to post here since the hero of mine since i was a kid got the sack but yes I'm not mad on rangnick either
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27136 on: November 25, 2021, 04:53:28 pm »
Stinks of "We want a German manager and we want one now!"

Seen what Klopp and Tuchel have done and decide its a case of any German will emulate them.  I reckon Boris Becker and the ghost of Ludwig Van Beethoven were on their long list.

This said, Rangnick a decent appointment in regards to what they have had or have now.
Yep, totally. Like when they splashed out on Maguire when we went big on VVD.

I bet Woodward never even heard of him until a few weeks ago. It reeks of flavour of the month-ism.

It has the potential to be a good acquisition, but given how badly Utd is run, there's every chance that this hasn't really been thought through, and it falls flat after a year or two.
Worth nothing that Rangnick has no experience of working at a big club, unless you count Schalke, which I don't. All well and good getting Leipzig and Hoffenheim promoted with the help of rich owners, but winning PLs and CLs at Utd is a different kettle of fish.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:55:01 pm by kennedy81 »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27137 on: November 25, 2021, 04:55:11 pm »
it has been too painful to post here since the hero of mine since i was a kid got the sack but yes I'm not mad on rangnick either

Didn’t realise you’d followed Moyes at Preston so closely.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #27138 on: November 25, 2021, 04:55:22 pm »
I was a huge Souness fan when he played for us in the late 1970s and 1980s but was not in any way disappointed when he got sacked and that was nothing to do with his article in the rag, more to the fact that he was an awful manager for Liverpool.  It doesn't mean he stops being a hero when he was playing though but I don't think Ole should ever have been given the job in the first place as he didn't earn the appointment, at least Souey had a decent record at Rangers
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #27139 on: November 25, 2021, 04:56:53 pm »
It's a weird appointment. Rangnick clearly has football knowledge and in recent years has gotten experience in how to build a football conglomerate like Red Bull's with various clubs all over the world and their own academies and youth operations in various countries. It worked for Red Bull, because they basically started from scratch and he had an open cheque book to work with while there was little pressure to being successful at the absolute top level. Don't think Manchester United are looking for something like that and I'm not sure they'll allow him to just shape the club in the way he wants. It will also be interesting to see how much influence the likes of Ferguson still have and if he and others are prepared to follow Rangnick's lead. I can't see it. At the same time, I can't see Rangnick taking any shit from other higher-ups in the club. If things aren't going his way he'll probably start throwing the toys out of the pram. The British media used to make a big fuss about Rafa wanting "total control". I kind of see Rangnick being the same. If you look at his German wikipedia page, for almost every club, where he was the manager, there's a part about how he fell out with the club's chairman or some other authority figure and him leaving in the end.

I think getting Ragngnick would be a good appointment for a lot of clubs who are looking to become more successful and building up an "identity". For Man United there seem to be a lot of questionmarks surrounding this appointment.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 05:00:32 pm by stoa »

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27140 on: November 25, 2021, 04:58:07 pm »
I’m surprised at all the hype. Though not surprised it comes primarily from twitter hipsters who haven’t watched Leipzig or Salzburg in their life and actually know fuck all about this bloke except he’s German and ermmm…. does the pressing stuff, which is in right now.

Just glad they didn’t get Conte.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27141 on: November 25, 2021, 04:59:08 pm »
Had to double take at some of the comments thinking this guy might be a good appointment for them  :o

His record doesn't exactly set the world alight to put it mildly, to be more coarse he looks complete shite. Fired from three of his five clubs he managed and done hardly anything of note at the top. The supposed great achievement of getting to the semi-finals of the CL, well unless I'm mistaken he only took over an won one round before the semi, then got battered in the semi!

I'm just going off his record but he looks more like a complete journeyman, a Hodgson or Pulis type (without talking about tactics).

They have fallen such a long long way making an appointment like this. Hastey and desperate. That said lets hope he gets of to a flyer against Chelsea  ;D

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27142 on: November 25, 2021, 04:59:13 pm »
Ragnick seems like more of a DOF than a manger. If they want him long term as a DOF then they should just put him straight into the role and appoint a proper interim. Sounds like a potential cluster fuck situation at the end of the season transitioning the bloke into a different role and bringing in a new manager
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27143 on: November 25, 2021, 05:00:07 pm »
They way they  are going on abouut how Poch deserves players that are more hardworking than Messi, Mbappé and Neymar is hilarious. They've forgotten that they have the likes of Ronaldo, Greenwood and Rashford.

Also, PSG is actually doing Poch a favour by giving him a chance to win his first major trophy.

Offline MancEunuchian

• Manc
  • Main Stander
  • On the piss with Georgie Best
« Reply #27144 on: November 25, 2021, 05:00:26 pm »
Skiing in the Alps was amazing lads and Cantona sends his regards. Warms me heart to see I was missed.

Dare I say, we're back?  8)

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27145 on: November 25, 2021, 05:05:36 pm »
It's a weird appointment. Rangnick clearly has football knowledge and in recent years has gotten experience in how to build a football conglomerate like Red Bull's with various clubs all over the world and their own academies and youth operations in various countries. It worked for Red Bull, because they basically started from scratch and he had an open cheque book to work with while there was little pressure to being successful at the absolute top level. Don't think Manchester United are looking for something like that and I'm not sure they'll allow him to just shape the club in the way he wants. It will also be interesting to see how much influence the likes of Ferguson still have and if he and others are prepared to follow Rangnick's lead. I can't see it. At the same time, I can't see Rangnick taking any shit from other higher-ups in the club. If things aren't going his way he'll probably start throwing the toys out of the pram. The British media used to make a big fuss about Rafa wanting "total control". I kind of see Rangnick being the same. If you look at his German wikipedia page, for almost every club, where he was the manager, there's a part about how he fell out with the club's chairman or some other authority figure and him leaving in the end.

I think getting Ragngnick would be a good appointment for a lot of clubs who are looking to become more successful and building up an "identity". For Man United there seem to be a lot of questionmarks surrounding this appointment.
Yeah. Would have been a useful acquisition for a club like Newcastle.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #27146 on: November 25, 2021, 05:06:24 pm »
That maybe so, but that doesn't change what their motivation is...we now understand their plan.
Copy Liverpool?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27147 on: November 25, 2021, 05:06:35 pm »
Skiing in the Alps was amazing lads and Cantona sends his regards. Warms me heart to see I was missed.

Oh mate. These posts always seem to backfire.  ;D
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #27148 on: November 25, 2021, 05:07:19 pm »
Had to double take at some of the comments thinking this guy might be a good appointment for them  :o

His record doesn't exactly set the world alight to put it mildly, to be more coarse he looks complete shite. Fired from three of his five clubs he managed and done hardly anything of note at the top. The supposed great achievement of getting to the semi-finals of the CL, well unless I'm mistaken he only took over an won one round before the semi, then got battered in the semi!

I'm just going off his record but he looks more like a complete journeyman, a Hodgson or Pulis type (without talking about tactics).

To be fair, I think Rangnick as a manager was really ahead of his time in Germany and he was one of the up and coming guys 20 years ago or so in terms of the methods and tactics he used. He's called the "footballing professor" in Germany. I think though, there was a point where he realised that being a manager is not really his thing with all the pressure involved, especially after he was suffering of burnout and had to take time off. After that, he focussed more on the background work and without actually knowing what exactly he did for Red Bull in his various positions, he clearly helped creating a successful model no matter how despicable it is.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27149 on: November 25, 2021, 05:07:39 pm »
The consultant aspect sounds like one of those compromises that just won't work, like they want him to oversee change but don't want to boot the like of Ferguson out, so they put him in a role where he could help but won't have the power to overhaul the club, and most likely they end up with a mish-mash of ideas. Kind of like the way we tried to force Rodgers and a transfer committee to work.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #27150 on: November 25, 2021, 05:10:45 pm »

Back in yer 70s & 80s slumber? Yeah that's a safe enough bet.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #27151 on: November 25, 2021, 05:11:51 pm »

You lot just never learn.  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #27152 on: November 25, 2021, 05:14:22 pm »
Copy Liverpool?
So slightly peeved by a 5-0 thrashing they have decided to get their own pet German.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Online Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27153 on: November 25, 2021, 05:16:42 pm »

:lmao

Don't you ever learn?
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27154 on: November 25, 2021, 05:17:26 pm »
To be fair, I think Rangnick as a manager was really ahead of his time in Germany and he was one of the up and coming guys 20 years ago or so in terms of the methods and tactics he used. He's called the "footballing professor" in Germany. I think though, there was a point where he realised that being a manager is not really his thing with all the pressure involved, especially after he was suffering of burnout and had to take time off. After that, he focussed more on the background work and without actually knowing what exactly he did for Red Bull in his various positions, he clearly helped creating a successful model no matter how despicable it is.

Yeah I saw that about him having to give up the second stint with Schalke due to exhaustion, which doesn't bode well at all considering the microscope he will be under now!! Almost feel worried for him! Hopefully he is in a better place.

To be honest whether he made a success with the model of Red Bull or not (which was not exactly like doing the same thing with a club with limited means), he has done nothing of note hardly at all as a manager. It's a really odd appointment for me, it obviously has to do with having to fire Ole which they clearly were forced to do and never wanted to until he collapsed completely, then wanting to give themselves time until the summer which is not a bad thing, but surely there was another option. I knew they had fallen a long way but even this surprised me. Really does remind me of our Hodgson appointment.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #27155 on: November 25, 2021, 05:21:24 pm »
Ragnick seems like more of a DOF than a manger. If they want him long term as a DOF then they should just put him straight into the role and appoint a proper interim. Sounds like a potential cluster fuck situation at the end of the season transitioning the bloke into a different role and bringing in a new manager

That is what he wants to be, I think he’ll be hoping, or has already been promised some other role.

He actively has seeked not to coach.

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #27156 on: November 25, 2021, 05:25:32 pm »

Cristiano Ronaldo
Paul Pogba
Harry Maguire
Edinson Cavani
Raphaël Varane
Jesse Lingard
Fred
Alex Telles
Phil Jones
Juan Mata
Nemanja Matić
Victor Lindelöf

All of these players are turning 30 or are past 30 next season. Exactly how much gegenpressing do you think they will be able to do? Tis a young man's game, they are a bit long in the tooth to be learning to press for 90 mins 40-50 games a season.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27157 on: November 25, 2021, 05:27:19 pm »
All of these players are turning 30 or are past 30 next season. Exactly how much gegenpressing do you think they will be able to do? Tis a young man's game, they are a bit long in the tooth to be learning to press for 90 mins 40-50 games a season.

Imagine Maguire having to play in a really high back line  ;D ;D

Offline MancEunuchian

• Manc
  • Main Stander
  • On the piss with Georgie Best

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27159 on: November 25, 2021, 05:30:08 pm »
Imagine Maguire having to play in a really high back line  ;D ;D