Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603525 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #5000 on: June 9, 2018, 01:28:24 pm »
Why should a "small market" team not be allowed some success? And what does that expression even mean, when the Cavaliers have gained a big worldwide profile/supporter base thanks to their recent success?
they got that because they got lucky in one lottery, and even when they got 3 out of 4 top picks they managed to totally fuck up with Anthony Bennett so it’s not like they’re a well run small market team like San Antonio

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5001 on: June 9, 2018, 01:47:43 pm »
Well anyway, congrats to GSW for winning another Championship. The NBA is evolving and they’re currently driving that evolution in the way they play, coupled with their continued success. The bar has been raised and it’s up to everyone else to step up, well maybe with the exception of LeBron.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5002 on: June 9, 2018, 02:24:30 pm »
For basketball reasons, Bron should come to us in San Antonio, but I can see him going to LA

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5003 on: June 9, 2018, 04:53:58 pm »
For basketball reasons, Bron should come to us in San Antonio, but I can see him going to LA
Team and coach wise it probably makes the most sense, he has said himself that Pop is the greatest coach of all time and has endless respect for him. They can make a trade here and there to make it work and add some pieces and get rid of the dead wood they have.

That being said i think he won’t leave that easy route East coast and he will join the 76ers which makes the most sense in the East. Lebron, Embiid, Simmons surrounded with shooters like Reddick, Ilyasova, Belinelli and Covington. They will go to the finals few years in a row for sure.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5004 on: June 9, 2018, 05:09:04 pm »
Why should a "small market" team not be allowed some success? And what does that expression even mean, when the Cavaliers have gained a big worldwide profile/supporter base thanks to their recent success?
I equate them to Huddersfield Town  having the same sort of success,it's just a bit meh.

i think the majority of Basketball fans would want a proper Beast from the East Like the old guard of  one of the Celtics Pistons Bulls Knicks 76ers being in a  final,that would capture the imagination of the basketball masses who have turned off in droves for these finals the last 2 years.

Cavs are just not a sexy name/team in the pantheon of basketball,say the Knicks get to a championship series(i hope) the hype,viewer numbers for that would 100x times more than than Cavs .

I haven't watched the last 2 championship series with these teams,i haven't really cared and i hope it's the last final of these teams ever in a final,4 years in a  row of the same match up is just stale.

I like the thought of Lebron in Philly would be interesting to see,that franchise needs a superstar,i read the other day that they might go for Durant before Lebron.

I'd hate him to be a Laker,the longer the lakers are in the doldrums makes me cope with how bad my Knicks are doing. :D

« Last Edit: June 9, 2018, 05:19:47 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #5005 on: June 9, 2018, 05:39:36 pm »
I don't like the Lakers but I'd love to see LeBron with this young crop and I'd far rather him in the western conference as well.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5006 on: June 9, 2018, 05:41:09 pm »
LeBron is keeping the East afloat. If he moves over interest in the Eastern Conference will be minimal. James, Davis, Durant, Harden, Curry, Leonard, Paul etc all in one conference will really fuck things up.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #5007 on: June 9, 2018, 06:24:38 pm »
LeBron is keeping the East afloat. If he moves over interest in the Eastern Conference will be minimal. James, Davis, Durant, Harden, Curry, Leonard, Paul etc all in one conference will really fuck things up.

I think the opposite.  If he shifts West,  expect the Eastern teams to suddenly become very attractive for players.
Certainly the likes of Philly, Chicago,  New York, and Boston, will become must see on the checklist for wantaway stars and free agents.
And instead of building teams to beat LeBron,  as has been the case for almost a decade,  they can focus on building winning teams.

I don't see him joining Philly, don't think they mesh with his style, his personality,  or at at the level to offer him greater success than where he currently is. One injury to Embiid nd it's suddenly becomes another team to carry. Additionally,  Simmons is  a horrific shooter, hardly the type to thrive alongside LeBron.

Unless he can swing a trade to Boston, I think he'll either shift to LA with possibly George and another star, or potentially the Rockets if Paul takes a cut, Having said that, Lebron, Paul, and Harden, on the same team seems way too many dominant ball players on one team.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5008 on: June 9, 2018, 06:31:39 pm »
Also I might have had some pity for the burden LeBron had to face against a stacked team, but he built the squad he has, pushing for bloated deals for players that were useless in almost all the series the past 3 seasons.
Additionally,  he started the whole 'let's all get together with our biggest rivals for the sake of a title' rather than the old school 'let's beat our biggest rivals and push the GMs to build a great team around us'.

What goes around comes around. I haven't really enjoyed the NBA as much post Lebron joining Miami as I did prior.
Let's hope it gets harder for players to manoeuvre around, or at least have the power to almost control the team building aspect of the game.  Lebron is a genius in the game, but completely useless at picking pieces that can fit around him.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5009 on: June 9, 2018, 10:07:03 pm »
Also I might have had some pity for the burden LeBron had to face against a stacked team, but he built the squad he has, pushing for bloated deals for players that were useless in almost all the series the past 3 seasons.
Additionally,  he started the whole 'let's all get together with our biggest rivals for the sake of a title' rather than the old school 'let's beat our biggest rivals and push the GMs to build a great team around us'.

What goes around comes around. I haven't really enjoyed the NBA as much post Lebron joining Miami as I did prior.
Let's hope it gets harder for players to manoeuvre around, or at least have the power to almost control the team building aspect of the game.  Lebron is a genius in the game, but completely useless at picking pieces that can fit around him.
Fair enough, he screwed up by pushing those ridiculous Tristan Thompson and JR contracts like their agents.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5010 on: June 10, 2018, 12:03:41 am »
Fair enough, he screwed up by pushing those ridiculous Tristan Thompson and JR contracts like their agents.

He almost literally was their agent. Thompson's agent is Rich Paul.
For those who might not know, Rich Paul is one of Lebron's crew that have helped him build his business empire and some, like Paul, have branched out into their own businesses, in Paul's case as an athlete's agent.
Again, an amazing player, but the power Lebron had or has in the Cavs is far too much. Yes, he almost singlehandely doubled the franchise's value when he returned, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the GM position.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5011 on: June 10, 2018, 02:54:39 am »
Phili doesn't suit imo. He's a ball dominant player and has been his entire career. I don't see how he abandons that and  Simmons plays as the PG, if Simmons could shoot and play off the ball, you could make it work, as things stand, SImmons wouldnt improve in a set up with Lebron in terms of being a PG.

I just dont see how that works.

LA or Houston, I think it will end up being the case.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5012 on: June 10, 2018, 05:05:30 am »
Doesn't the Simmons/bad shooter/primary ballhandler problem also apply with Lonzo Ball @ Lakers?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5013 on: June 10, 2018, 05:36:33 am »
Doesn't the Simmons/bad shooter/primary ballhandler problem also apply with Lonzo Ball @ Lakers?

Lonzo ain't shit, if Bron goes there, his ass is on the bench or traded.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5014 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:13 am »
Phili doesn't suit imo. He's a ball dominant player and has been his entire career. I don't see how he abandons that and  Simmons plays as the PG, if Simmons could shoot and play off the ball, you could make it work, as things stand, SImmons wouldnt improve in a set up with Lebron in terms of being a PG.

I just dont see how that works.

LA or Houston, I think it will end up being the case.

Interestingly I was having that discussion with a mate of mine. But ultimately we concluded that let's be honest, if you're training and playing with LeBron every day there's no way Simmons won't improve as a player. I agree on the ball handling, however that's arguably the strongest aspect of his game, with out-and-out point scoring the one that needs the most development, so maybe he'll be able to focus on that more with LeBron being the PG. Saying that, his FG% for the regular season was top 20 which is pretty good for a rookie.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5015 on: June 10, 2018, 11:34:43 am »
He almost literally was their agent. Thompson's agent is Rich Paul.
For those who might not know, Rich Paul is one of Lebron's crew that have helped him build his business empire and some, like Paul, have branched out into their own businesses, in Paul's case as an athlete's agent.
Again, an amazing player, but the power Lebron had or has in the Cavs is far too much. Yes, he almost singlehandely doubled the franchise's value when he returned, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the GM position.
By the way, Cavs value went up 600% since Lebron. I am pretty sure we can say similar jump in franchise value for the Warriors after Steph and Klay though.I was buying pretty good seat tickets for 10-15$ when we were a 30+ win team every year. ;D

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5016 on: June 10, 2018, 11:39:52 am »
By the way, Cavs value went up 600% since Lebron. I am pretty sure we can say similar jump in franchise value for the Warriors after Steph and Klay though.I was buying pretty good seat tickets for 10-15$ when we were a 30+ win team every year. ;D
to be fair moving to San Francisco will add more value than those two

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5017 on: June 10, 2018, 11:40:33 am »
http://foxsanantonio.com/sports/popovich-reportedly-all-in-at-making-a-case-for-the-spurs-to-lebron-james

Popovich reportedly all in at making a case for the Spurs to LeBron James

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5018 on: June 10, 2018, 11:45:49 am »
to be fair moving to San Francisco will add more value than those two
I am with you there. As much as I want "to love" Oakland, I worked there for a few years and it's quite a crappy and unsafe/dangerous neighborhood. Although there is nice parts of that side of the bay like Piedmont and Lake Merrit, Oracle Arena is in just a terrible place and owners know it.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5019 on: June 10, 2018, 11:47:29 am »
I am with you there. As much as I want "to love" Oakland, I worked there for a few years and it's quite a crappy and unsafe/dangerous neighborhood. Although there is nice parts of that side of the bay like Piedmont and Lake Merrit, Oracle Arena is in just a terrible place and owners know it.
thought Oakland was pretty gentrified these days, as those who would be well off pretty much everywhere else in America can’t afford to live in San Francisco so they moved out to Oakland?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5020 on: June 10, 2018, 12:15:01 pm »
thought Oakland was pretty gentrified these days, as those who would be well off pretty much everywhere else in America can’t afford to live in San Francisco so they moved out to Oakland?
Nah, i think Oakland is top 3 in the States in "most dangerous cities" after Detroit and St Louis. I worked for a major bank in Oakland Downtown (Broadway Street) and we were robbed 7 times in a year, most times guns being involved. I was a personal banker,a few times I've seen clients being robbed and beaten badly outside in downtown and they were rushing to the branch instead of hospital just so we cancel all his credit and debit cards since someone just took his wallet. Alameda area is better but I'd say those who don't afford for SF usually pick either south like Daly City, South San Fran or further than Oakland; places like Berkeley, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill etc areas. My work was like literally 2 minutes to BART station (train) but some colleagues were worried when they work after 5:30 pm because it gets dark and teenager kids with guns could stop them. In places like West Oakland and parts of East Oakland police will not make a move when you hear dozens of gunshots in the area and report it, they will wait 2-3 hours before coming, making sure gangs shoot each other first so they won't be facing fire when they arrive. I've read SF Chronicle daily in train on my way to work everyday and there hasn't been a day that i didn't read 2-3 murder news in the paper, not to mention many don't even make the news.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:18:57 pm by elsewhere »

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5021 on: June 10, 2018, 12:54:57 pm »
Must suck living in Oakland and seeing the Raiders and Warriors leaving.

Small city and to have had 3 major sports teams they have been lucky,bigger cities have 1 major sports team like San Diego,St Louis,San Antonio,Montreal,Sacramento to name a few.

The A's have been linked a few times with leaving Oakland and going to San Jose,if that happens that would be a disaster for Oakland sports fans
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #5022 on: June 10, 2018, 02:05:14 pm »
If James goes Spurs does skipppp say he better than MJ now?  ;D just to see that I would want him to go.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5023 on: June 10, 2018, 03:28:22 pm »
Nah, i think Oakland is top 3 in the States in "most dangerous cities" after Detroit and St Louis. I worked for a major bank in Oakland Downtown (Broadway Street) and we were robbed 7 times in a year, most times guns being involved. I was a personal banker,a few times I've seen clients being robbed and beaten badly outside in downtown and they were rushing to the branch instead of hospital just so we cancel all his credit and debit cards since someone just took his wallet. Alameda area is better but I'd say those who don't afford for SF usually pick either south like Daly City, South San Fran or further than Oakland; places like Berkeley, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill etc areas. My work was like literally 2 minutes to BART station (train) but some colleagues were worried when they work after 5:30 pm because it gets dark and teenager kids with guns could stop them. In places like West Oakland and parts of East Oakland police will not make a move when you hear dozens of gunshots in the area and report it, they will wait 2-3 hours before coming, making sure gangs shoot each other first so they won't be facing fire when they arrive. I've read SF Chronicle daily in train on my way to work everyday and there hasn't been a day that i didn't read 2-3 murder news in the paper, not to mention many don't even make the news.
cheers for that, didn’t realise it was still that bad, know it was in the 70s and 80s and bits like alameda were nicer.

Seems to be a lot more flights marketed as to San Francisco for cheap nowadays that are going to Oakland instead btw, was thinking of going to SF in the next few years by that airport but will probably swerve it now!

Must suck living in Oakland and seeing the Raiders and Warriors leaving.

Small city and to have had 3 major sports teams they have been lucky,bigger cities have 1 major sports team like San Diego,St Louis,San Antonio,Montreal,Sacramento to name a few.

The A's have been linked a few times with leaving Oakland and going to San Jose,if that happens that would be a disaster for Oakland sports fans
at least for the warriors fans it’s 20 minutes on the train or car so not that bad

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5024 on: June 10, 2018, 03:34:26 pm »
cheers for that, didn’t realise it was still that bad, know it was in the 70s and 80s and bits like alameda were nicer.

Seems to be a lot more flights marketed as to San Francisco for cheap nowadays that are going to Oakland instead btw, was thinking of going to SF in the next few years by that airport but will probably swerve it now!
at least for the warriors fans it’s 20 minutes on the train or car so not that bad
Airports are okay man ;D San Francisco, Seattle and Boston to me are the best 3 cities in the U.S. and I lived in New York, i'd never put NY in that list 8)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5025 on: June 10, 2018, 03:49:31 pm »
Airports are okay man ;D San Francisco, Seattle and Boston to me are the best 3 cities in the U.S. and I lived in New York, i'd never put NY in that list 8)
Blasphemy

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5028 on: June 10, 2018, 04:12:27 pm »
only spent a couple of days in ny but loved it and want to get back, but I do feel it’s like London, great to go for a few days but not live there

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5029 on: June 10, 2018, 04:18:02 pm »
only spent a couple of days in ny but loved it and want to get back, but I do feel it’s like London, great to go for a few days but not live there
exactly how i felt.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5030 on: June 10, 2018, 04:27:53 pm »
exactly how i felt.
plus I’d need to get paid serious money as that nba store on 5th ave is boss, last time I went there my credit card took a large hit

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5031 on: June 10, 2018, 04:40:11 pm »
plus I’d need to get paid serious money as that nba store on 5th ave is boss, last time I went there my credit card took a large hit
Also going to NY sports teams' games is quite expensive compared to Bay Area. A decent seat for a Knicks game was 150-200$ even when they were tanking ffs.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5032 on: June 10, 2018, 04:42:03 pm »
Also going to NY sports teams' games is quite expensive compared to Bay Area. A decent seat for a Knicks game was 150-200$ even when they were tanking ffs.
yeah had a look even on vivid seats when I was there, think it was someone like the t wolves and anywhere not in the gods was around $150

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5033 on: June 11, 2018, 12:39:16 pm »
Kobe playing street ball in Harlem in 2002.

Stephen A Smith commentating i think. :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/703nr3ezZp8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/703nr3ezZp8</a>

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5034 on: June 11, 2018, 01:46:43 pm »
Those nonchalant 3 pointers from 36-56 seconds. :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rFZ_CkG0E78" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rFZ_CkG0E78</a>

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5035 on: June 12, 2018, 06:22:06 pm »
Also going to NY sports teams' games is quite expensive compared to Bay Area. A decent seat for a Knicks game was 150-200$ even when they were tanking ffs.s

Sadlyy, we've never ever tanked. Weve just been that shit that it seems like we're tanking.

Lebron to Spurs was always a good shout, but I couldn't see how they could make the numbers make sense.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5036 on: June 12, 2018, 07:23:07 pm »
Sadlyy, we've never ever tanked. Weve just been that shit that it seems like we're tanking.

Lebron to Spurs was always a good shout, but I couldn't see how they could make the numbers make sense.

We would have to get rid of Danny Green,Gasol,Rudy Gay,Parker,Anderson,Bertrans and Forbes Essentially we would have a starting 5, and no bench.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5037 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:08 pm »
We would have to get rid of Danny Green,Gasol,Rudy Gay,Parker,Anderson,Bertrans and Forbes Essentially we would have a starting 5, and no bench.
aldridge plus filler

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5038 on: June 12, 2018, 09:54:08 pm »
aldridge plus filler

Are you suggesting we should get rid of Aldridge?

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5039 on: June 12, 2018, 10:46:23 pm »
Are you suggesting we should get rid of Aldridge?
for lebron yes, Aldridge and gay should work, Cavs can flip Aldridge for some younger pieces to rebuild around
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:50:43 pm by Lush is the best medicine... »