Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1304301 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #320 on: October 17, 2019, 09:21:32 pm »
You’re seriously going to chuck that at this team...?  :o

I think that as much as we celebrate how well we performed last season as a whole we also have to recognise where we failed. Utd away was one of them,  more for the performance than the result.

As I said, I think we have matured and improved since then and we will have even less of those days now
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: October 18, 2019, 03:33:12 pm »
For the auld arses on here who well remember the 80s, I have vague recollections of these feelings.  Not arrogance, or hubris; merely expectation.  An expectation to win the next game.  From a time where a draw or a defeat was the exception rather than a rule - a surprise to keep me grounded and remind myself the players were human and could make mistakes.

I'm not thinking about the opponent.  Merely about the result.  I expect a win.  I am looking forward to battle, and to victory.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: October 18, 2019, 04:20:38 pm »
Anyone see City strugling tomorow? Palace are good organized, proper defensive shape, they dont concede a lot. Probably a decent manager in work over there. Draw would be a great result for us but I pray for Crystal win - to make our title journey even easier.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #323 on: October 18, 2019, 04:24:23 pm »
Anyone see City strugling tomorow?

Nope. Their record after international breaks is very good. On James Richardson's podcast a couple of days go they read out their results and they put 4 or 5 past teams after the break the last few seasons. Not holding out much hope.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #324 on: October 18, 2019, 04:28:57 pm »
When's the last time Zaha made a match winning contribution? Yet to score as well.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #325 on: October 18, 2019, 05:02:01 pm »
Nope. Their record after international breaks is very good. On James Richardson's podcast a couple of days go they read out their results and they put 4 or 5 past teams after the break the last few seasons. Not holding out much hope.
Oh, you just killed my all hopes  >:( Watched Palace early on in the season. They give you fuck all space and no time to create. Now Hodgson has made his kick-and-flick footie to perfection as there is fast Zaha rushing behing (hopefully) dodgey City high line. That said if City score first and Palace is forced to play it could be a carnage. Cant wait for some giffs of Roy, always make me laught.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2019, 05:08:08 pm »
Palace are level on points with Leicester who have had a shit load of fanfare thus far. Not holding out too much hope, but it won't be a cakewalk for City.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2019, 07:13:13 pm »
Palace are level on points with Leicester who have had a shit load of fanfare thus far. Not holding out too much hope, but it won't be a cakewalk for City.

Palace are lucky to be where they are. They havent been good. City should easily win.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2019, 07:16:55 pm »
Palace are lucky to be where they are. They havent been good. City should easily win.

They will probably win but a 5.30 kick off is a good thing. Selhurst Park can get pretty rowdy under the lights.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2019, 09:56:33 pm »
The best thing we will have learnt from last season is we need to keep city at arms length. If We let them get back to the top of the table they will get belief back and can go on a long winning run. We know even with their dodgy defence at present they can still blow teams away with their attack, and some teams rolling over for them. We cannot rely on teams taking points of city and doing us any favours. City winning the last 14 games to win the league last season proves that. We were praying they would just bloody draw at least one game and they didnt towards the end of last season. We will have learnt that lesson.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: October 21, 2019, 09:26:13 am »
Anyone know how long our current unbeaten league run is? It's gotta be around 27/28 now.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #331 on: October 21, 2019, 09:28:38 am »
Anyone know how long our current unbeaten league run is? It's gotta be around 27/28 now.

Pretty sure it’s 27. Think last year Arsenal and City were our first two games of the second half of the season so that defeat at City came in our 20th game. So went unbeaten for the last 18 of last season (winning 14) and the first 9 of this.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #332 on: October 21, 2019, 12:05:49 pm »
When did we hit really good form last season, was it november/december?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: October 21, 2019, 12:32:38 pm »
When did we hit really good form last season, was it november/december?
We won every game in December
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2019, 12:12:12 pm »
Just looking at City's schedule for February and March:

Spurs (a)
West Ham (h)
Leicester (a)
Arsenal (h)
United (a)
Burnley (h)
Chelsea (a)
Liverpool (h)

over the same period, we have:

Southampton (h)
Norwich (a)
West Ham (h)
Watford (a)
Bournemouth (h)
Everton (a)
Palace (h)
City (a)

When you consider Champions League knock out stages then this period of 8 games looks really crucial to the title race.

For us the two blocks that stand out are:

Christmas/early Jan period (when city are playing mid-lower league teams):

Leicester (a)
Wolves (h)
Shef United (h)
Spurs (a)
United (h)

and then in the last three games of the season we have

Arsenal (a)
Chelsea (h)

City game in two weeks is MASSIVE!

If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2019, 12:27:18 pm »
That Feb and March is absolutely brutal. All of the 'top 6' AND Leicester in 8 games? Ouch.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #336 on: October 28, 2019, 12:35:07 pm »
That Feb and March is absolutely brutal. All of the 'top 6' AND Leicester in 8 games? Ouch.

Our last three look tough though. Wouldn’t want to be needing to win all three to win the League. I mean I’d take it if it meant it was in our hands at that point but would be nice to keep this kind of gap going into them.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: October 28, 2019, 12:39:25 pm »
Our last three look tough though. Wouldn’t want to be needing to win all three to win the League. I mean I’d take it if it meant it was in our hands at that point but would be nice to keep this kind of gap going into them.

You'd think Newcastle's fate would be settled by the final game but it's a tough place to go and has proved as such for us in the past. Chelsea definitely tough again, but you'd always back us at home. It's the Arsenal game that stands out for me. I'll be an absolute wreck for that.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: October 28, 2019, 01:14:17 pm »

We’re also going to have a rearranged West Ham game to fit in. And if we get to the quarterfinals of the league cup that will probably go into the first week of Jan as we’ll be in Qatar when it’s on. And if we win that we’ll have the first leg of the semis to be rearranged. Throw in the FA Cup 3rd and potential 4th rounds too. Which could involve replays.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #339 on: October 28, 2019, 01:38:28 pm »
10 games in and we are at 2.8 ppg and City are at 2.2. That extrapolates at 106 points if we maintain the rate, and 84 for them. Obviously I do not expect either of us to maintain that necessarily throughout, but it does illustrate the wiggle room. I had got it in to my head that we normally have bad Octobers, but it is how we fare during the schools Christmas holiday period that will give us the truest picture. Plus that will be the halfway mark.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2019, 02:23:00 pm »
Win at Villa and that puts City under massive pressure to get a win at Anfield keep cranking the pressure up
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2019, 02:38:40 pm »
We are in the middle of what I think was our biggest test this season

Leicester HOME
United Away
Spurs Home
Villa Away
City Home

If we get the away win against villa then it puts massive pressure on city to get the win they will need the following week. I don't think they would be happy with an away point. We keep grinding out victory's its what teams who win leagues do we are in an incredible position the next two games are massive.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #342 on: October 28, 2019, 02:45:54 pm »
I swear City only play at home. They always seem to be have a nice fixture up next.

In all seriousness though, that’s probably why they have that brutal Feb/March period. They’ll be saying the same about us then.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #343 on: October 28, 2019, 03:07:42 pm »
Win at Villa and that puts City under massive pressure to get a win at Anfield keep cranking the pressure up

If we both win next weekend and we go into the City game 6 points ahead, I think Guardiola would defo take a draw.

6 points behind having played at Anfield and with 27 games to go would be acceptable to them. It's probably acceptable to us to.

I personally don't think City will view it as a must win game if they are 6 points behind or less. Might change if they are 9 points behind going into the game at Anfield though.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: October 28, 2019, 03:17:54 pm »
If we both win next weekend and we go into the City game 6 points ahead, I think Guardiola would defo take a draw.

6 points behind having played at Anfield and with 27 games to go would be acceptable to them. It's probably acceptable to us to.

I personally don't think City will view it as a must win game if they are 6 points behind or less. Might change if they are 9 points behind going into the game at Anfield though.

Guardiola would take a draw whatever the circumstances are. Just like we'd probably take a draw at their place.  It's the home team that wants the win in these fixtures really. And Pep knows if he comes to Anfield looking to take it to us and go balls out for the win that we're picking them off. He'll use the same tactics as last year and hope to nick it.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #345 on: October 28, 2019, 03:22:53 pm »
Guardiola would take a draw whatever the circumstances are. Just like we'd probably take a draw at their place.  It's the home team that wants the win in these fixtures really. And Pep knows if he comes to Anfield looking to take it to us and go balls out for the win that we're picking them off. He'll use the same tactics as last year and hope to nick it.

Going to be a fascinating game. We know their quality going forward but we really, really need to be putting their makeshift defence under some serious pressure.

I hope Anfield is a cauldron that day and we really go for them. Can't underestimate the psychological damage we could deal out here with a convincing win.
JFT97

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #346 on: October 28, 2019, 03:26:02 pm »

Assuming we don't cock up against Villa, we have to take the opportunity to go nine points clear. Beating them at Anfield would be a massive step toward the title. With their current defensive issues, we won't have a better chance.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: October 28, 2019, 04:00:43 pm »
Going to be a fascinating game. We know their quality going forward but we really, really need to be putting their makeshift defence under some serious pressure.

I hope Anfield is a cauldron that day and we really go for them. Can't underestimate the psychological damage we could deal out here with a convincing win.

If yesterday is anything to go by it's going to be pretty full on. Something we haven't done for a fair while is have one of those 'flurries' we had a few times in 17/18 were we score 3 goals in like 10 minutes. I know the reasons we don't do that as much anymore, and I'm hardly complaining, but I think there's an argument for that sort of madness [heavy metal football, some might say] being the perfect way to play against city, especially a city with defensive concerns.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #348 on: October 28, 2019, 04:02:14 pm »
Hope we win the league.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: October 28, 2019, 04:20:44 pm »
The thing that concerns me is that we are having to dig deep in a lot of our wins whereas City despite being less consistent, have been able to coast in a lot of theirs.

If all our games are close we are more liable to bad luck or decisions. And it takes more emotional and physical energy out of the players. Yes we've clearly formed good mental habits but it can't last forever.

Even against Spurs, with their current form and league position we should be battering them. If that had been against Burnley we would have a lot of questionmarks after that result.

The other thing that concerns me is the MF. I would play Fabinho and Wijnaldum every game if fit, but Henderson's form is poor and he looks un-droppable to Klopp. I would like to see Milner used only as cover for the FBs as he is the second best FB on either side in our squad. I think Klopp needs to get Keita and/or AOC integrated into regular starting places in the league.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2019, 04:35:50 pm »
The thing that concerns me is that we are having to dig deep in a lot of our wins whereas City despite being less consistent, have been able to coast in a lot of theirs.

If all our games are close we are more liable to bad luck or decisions. And it takes more emotional and physical energy out of the players. Yes we've clearly formed good mental habits but it can't last forever.

Even against Spurs, with their current form and league position we should be battering them. If that had been against Burnley we would have a lot of questionmarks after that result.

The other thing that concerns me is the MF. I would play Fabinho and Wijnaldum every game if fit, but Henderson's form is poor and he looks un-droppable to Klopp. I would like to see Milner used only as cover for the FBs as he is the second best FB on either side in our squad. I think Klopp needs to get Keita and/or AOC integrated into regular starting places in the league.

Would you rather be inconsistent and lose games to bottom clubs or would you rather be consistently overcoming difficult challenges and win matches?
Do you want Liverpool to be inconsistent as long as they win some matches comfortably?

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2019, 04:37:38 pm »
I can't wait for the City game, they're going to walk into an extremely intimidating atmosphere and I think some of their players will shit it. I hope we bring it to them the same way we brought it to Barcelona. They’re not as good as last season and they’ve looked vulnerable at times. Two early goals and they’re gone imo.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2019, 04:51:49 pm »
23 more wins should do it.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2019, 04:52:00 pm »

We've coasted to 4 wins this season in the league - Norwich, Arsenal, Burnley and Newcastle. All have been done and dusted with loads of time to spare.

We've had 5 narrow wins and a draw -  we've played Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea and United in 4 of those games. Despite Spurs and United struggling they are always likely to be tough games. Good players raise their game. Both teams still have good players despite their current struggles. Look at how Spurs drew with City and how United battered Chelsea 4-0 as evidence.

What this really amount to is that we struggled to a win a Sheff United where Salah and Mane missed 3 sitters and Southampton was a bit a hairy because the GK made a mistake when we we're coasting at 2-0.

City have really only played 1 tough game. Spurs at home. They drew. West Ham away, Everton away and Wolves at home are relatively difficult games. They managed to smash West Ham and beat Everton comfortable. But they also managed to lose to Wolves.

City definitely have more games where they smash teams by more than 4 goals. But they don't cruise every game. They certainly don't when they play some of the better sides. Likewise I think people over estimate how close some of our games are. We've been the better team in every league game so far. We haven't been perfect for 90 minutes in every game but we've dominated most games for the majority of the time. Plus we've had much harder fixtures than City so far.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2019, 05:07:17 pm »
Likewise I think people over estimate how close some of our games are.

It's so true this. I'm guilty of it - in the moment it's all so tense and unless there's 4 clear goals you always think the other team has a chance. But in reality even 2 of the 'closer' games - Leicester and spurs - we've fucking tonked them.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: October 28, 2019, 05:19:46 pm »
We've coasted to 4 wins this season in the league - Norwich, Arsenal, Burnley and Newcastle. All have been done and dusted with loads of time to spare.

We've had 5 narrow wins and a draw -  we've played Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea and United in 4 of those games. Despite Spurs and United struggling they are always likely to be tough games. Good players raise their game. Both teams still have good players despite their current struggles. Look at how Spurs drew with City and how United battered Chelsea 4-0 as evidence.

What this really amount to is that we struggled to a win a Sheff United where Salah and Mane missed 3 sitters and Southampton was a bit a hairy because the GK made a mistake when we we're coasting at 2-0.

City have really only played 1 tough game. Spurs at home. They drew. West Ham away, Everton away and Wolves at home are relatively difficult games. They managed to smash West Ham and beat Everton comfortable. But they also managed to lose to Wolves.

City definitely have more games where they smash teams by more than 4 goals. But they don't cruise every game. They certainly don't when they play some of the better sides. Likewise I think people over estimate how close some of our games are. We've been the better team in every league game so far. We haven't been perfect for 90 minutes in every game but we've dominated most games for the majority of the time. Plus we've had much harder fixtures than City so far.

Spot on

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2019, 02:45:36 am »
Spot on
Is it true that we had a tougher schedule though? According to the APLT, we had two 1-par games (the tougher ones), City had three. Arsenal and Spurs had four each, only Chelsea had two, as much as us.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: October 29, 2019, 03:27:52 am »
Is it true that we had a tougher schedule though? According to the APLT, we had two 1-par games (the tougher ones), City had three. Arsenal and Spurs had four each, only Chelsea had two, as much as us.

Arsenal,Chelsea,Spurs,Mancs,Leicester. That's who we've played and I am not sure how the metrics are for this but to me that's hardly an easy run. Not sure on what planet City have had a tougher schedule than us.

City have played Spurs. Lost to Wolves and Norwich.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #358 on: October 29, 2019, 04:09:26 am »
Arsenal,Chelsea,Spurs,Mancs,Leicester. That's who we've played and I am not sure how the metrics are for this but to me that's hardly an easy run. Not sure on what planet City have had a tougher schedule than us.

City have played Spurs. Lost to Wolves and Norwich.

Maybe it's only considering the away games at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge as 1-par games for us, while the home matches were considered as ones that we should be winning. Still doesn't explain how City have had three 1-par matches.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2019, 05:06:34 am »
Fortress Anfield:
Quote from: BBC
Unbeaten league leaders Liverpool, meanwhile, have now won their past 12 home league games.

Only Manchester City, with a win percentage of 83.3%, come close over that period - while Arsenal (63.6%), Leicester (61.5%) and Tottenham (61.5%) are the only others to win more than 60% of home matches since Liverpool's 100% home run began on 1 February.

Liverpool have, in the process, extended their unbeaten home record to a whopping 45 league games.

Another stat shows that the resilient Reds have won their last six at Anfield when they have conceded the first goal. In fact, they have recovered to avoid defeat from that position on the last 10 occasions.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005