Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1304172 times)

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2019, 11:30:30 am »
That block of City games after us ( Chelsea, Burnley & Newcastle away, United, Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves) makes me realise that apart from the hype that suits the TV, actually our game against them is a far smaller deal than everyone will be saying. They are unlikely to get a run of 21 points out of that next block. Using the frame of reference we employ on here, that is two difficult next five matches back to back, starting with playing us.

Don't tempt fate.
Linudden.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2019, 11:32:42 am »
That block of City games after us ( Chelsea, Burnley & Newcastle away, United, Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves) makes me realise that apart from the hype that suits the TV, actually our game against them is a far smaller deal than everyone will be saying. They are unlikely to get a run of 21 points out of that next block. Using the frame of reference we employ on here, that is two difficult next five matches back to back, starting with playing us.

They went, what, 14 in a row last year?

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2019, 11:38:17 am »

City a capable of winning all them games and going on a run but them games are tough.

We just need to believe, take it a game at a time and not panic

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2019, 11:49:34 am »

I think it's the opposite. The Anfield game is huge, for a couple of reasons - one, it's our best chance of directly hurting their challenge. Any victory denies them three points. A significant victory might do more. Secondly, as you point out, they then go into a pretty tough run of fixtures. A run of fixtures they're perfectly capable of taking maximum points from, but still tough. Depending on what the gap is come K/O at Anfield, we could put HUGE pressure on them. Even if we only extend it back to 8 points. Anything else is a significant gap and doesn't really allow them more than one or two dropped games - IF we maintain form.

Anyway - my bold prediction - we'll get the chance to extend our lead past 11 points in that game. I think we beat United, Spurs and Villa and I think City drop points to Palace.

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2019, 12:24:38 pm »
I dont think we'll lose yo United but they're the last club I'd want to drop our first points to. I'd rather beat them and draw against spurs rather than the other way around.

Yep, to this day the media STILL go on about them stopping Arsenal's unbeaten run, can you imagine if they stop our winning run.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:38:08 pm by Mozology »

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2019, 12:37:46 pm »
The pessimist in me guesses it'll be around 95 points to win the title, but that means City need 2.63 points per game for the rest of this season, that's the same amount they got in their 100 point season! and they're nowhere near that standard now.

So logic says the points total required is gonna be less than 95, could be very low 90's

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2019, 12:41:43 pm »
The pessimist in me guesses it'll be around 95 points to win the title, but that means City need 2.63 points per game for the rest of this season, that's the same amount they got in their 100 point season! and they're nowhere near that standard now.

So logic says the points total required is gonna be less than 95, could be very low 90's

Assuming 95 points will win the title, City need to go on a run from now of 2.63 points per game. 79 points meaning they can only drop another 11 points the rest of the season.
We need 2.36 per game or 71 points so we can drop 19 in the next 30 games.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2019, 02:05:20 pm »
Looking at this block of games before the next international break, I hope everyone at the club has cottoned on that there's a real opportunity to stamp our throat on City and kill them off.

Big, big ask of course, but win our next four league games and we'd have at least an 11-point lead. The midweek fixtures between the games are kind to us. Genk, Arsenal in the League Cup, before Genk again. Now Genk away probably won't be a barrel of laughs, but there's an argument for Klopp to say to his first XI forget about the cups for now, you're pretty much playing once a week in the league. We'd probably have to rotate a few into each match, sure, but the general point is there.

City's run after they play us is horrible: Chelsea, Burnley & Newcastle away, United, Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves.  Ours is a whole lot easier in comparison, CWC distraction notwithstanding. I could only see that hypothetical lead extending.

One game at a time and all that.....
That's why our 8 point lead is so impressive this early, as City have hardly had a difficult run, whilst we've churned out the wins despite the harder fxitures. City's only tough game on paper was Spurs (who have been out of sorts all season), and they only managed a draw at the Etihad when they had a fully fit squad.

A lot of people thought the head to head games would decide the title, and whilst they'll obviously have an impact, I think City are going to drop more points between now and Christmas. Even when Laporte/Sane come back (and they have spent another fortune in January), its not a guarantee they'll be back to their consistent best.

Their results so far have proven what many of us have thought for a while - roll over for them, and they will batter you (8-0 Watford, 5-0 West Ham, 4-0 Brighton). But be brave and have a go at them, and you'll find they are vulnerable, and you may get something from the game (Spurs 2-2, Norwich 3-2, and Wolves 2-0). Even Bournemouth and Everton exposed them at times, and if their defence is as paper-thin as it was against Wolves and Norwich, then hopefully we can hammer a big nail into their title hopes.

Let's hope a lot of the managers study those Norwich and Wolves games, where their defence was a shambles and panicked under pressure. Yes, they may bounce back and go on a winning run (and we may also falter), but there's also every chance we keep grinding out results and the gap widens - especially during City's tricky run in Nov/Dec.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2019, 02:34:08 pm »
I don't think we're operating at anywhere close to 100% either. We're exposing ourselves (oo er) to more attempts against us than previously, and this could be due to a number of factors.  One of which, is the absence of Alisson, so if that is a major factor, it's one that will hopefully be fully addressed soon. That's assuming Alisson is back to his imperious best of course. Also, Adrian hasn't been bad at all, in fact he's been excellent.  It's just we had the best in goal for us before, and he's an integral part of the team. 

We've dominated sides, but the scoreline hasn't been convincing.  We battered Leicester 2-1, and should have done better than 1-0 against a plucky and well setup Sheffield United side.  If we'd been unlucky, we'd have undeservedly dropped points in those games. Of course, the winning mentality Klopp and the team have fostered is also a big part of our 100% record so far. 

A fully-fit and firing Keita and Oxlaide-Chamberlain will also add another element to the side. It's OK to focus on those missing from City's side, but the absence of these two is often overlooked, especially by the media.

Looking at the chart that shows our results since Klopp took over 4 years ago, the most immediate thing is how much more consistent we've become.  We've got that habit of winning.

City can try and put their house in order, but they're not close to their peak from last year or the previous one.  The frightening thing for them, is that we can get better.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2019, 02:57:10 pm »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2019, 03:26:54 pm »

A fully-fit and firing Keita and Oxlaide-Chamberlain will also add another element to the side. It's OK to focus on those missing from City's side, but the absence of these two is often overlooked, especially by the media.

Understandably. We aren't really any weaker than last season without those two, because Oxlade was injured and Keita only had two or three good performances in the league. Whereas Laporte was City's best defender by a mile, and while Sané wasn't a guaranteed starter, his pace and dribbling ability gave them something different.

If any injury has been overlooked, it's Alisson's. But let's be honest, Sané/Laporte and Oxlade/Keita aren't in the same ball-park in terms of importance.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:29:01 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »
;D ;D

Thought you might like that.  ;D

You can add a few more to that in fairness as the start of last season feels a lifetime ago.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2019, 12:05:03 am »
Turns out they didn't. Lost one and drew one. Fucking shite they are.

Are we Benfica?
Are we Benfica?
Are we Benfica chickitas in disguise?
Yes we are Benfica chickitas in disguise!

Chasing them down one game at a time. Paaaa  gimme your Man Citys   not even 100 points last year thats no target.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2019, 03:20:03 am »
this team doesn't know when it's beaten, refuses to give up the fight, ever

Just like there was no way they were not winning the CL final against Spurs, I cannot see this team letting this opportunity go, will be close again but i think this is the year, City do not seem as strong this season and we aren't going anywhere

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2019, 04:12:55 am »
The sooner Allison returns the more reliable Liverpool will look in defence. They just need to keep scrapping away till then.

One game at a time, or so the mantra goes. The only thing that matters is Manchester United away.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2019, 10:10:36 am »
Wasn't Alisson close to making Leicester already? If so, he'll definitely be in for Old Trafford.
Linudden.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2019, 10:22:54 am »
Wasn't Alisson close to making Leicester already? If so, he'll definitely be in for Old Trafford.

Yes, he is close but I think he will play in the cup game against Arsenal then go from there.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2019, 01:33:12 pm »
Yes, he is close but I think he will play in the cup game against Arsenal then go from there.

Why? That's Adrián's competition. If he's ready to play, he needs to be in goal for the Premier League and the Champions League since those are the prioritized competitions either way you slice it. Match fitness itself won't be an issue for a keeper like him. Even an Alisson at 80 % is still our best keeper, especially in terms of the aerial prowess and playing with his feet.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 01:38:26 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2019, 01:42:33 pm »
I think it's the opposite. The Anfield game is huge, for a couple of reasons - one, it's our best chance of directly hurting their challenge. Any victory denies them three points. A significant victory might do more. Secondly, as you point out, they then go into a pretty tough run of fixtures. A run of fixtures they're perfectly capable of taking maximum points from, but still tough. Depending on what the gap is come K/O at Anfield, we could put HUGE pressure on them. Even if we only extend it back to 8 points. Anything else is a significant gap and doesn't really allow them more than one or two dropped games - IF we maintain form.

Anyway - my bold prediction - we'll get the chance to extend our lead past 11 points in that game. I think we beat United, Spurs and Villa and I think City drop points to Palace.

Yes, a solid win against City and they will find those games even more difficult, if they beat us the belief will come back quickly

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2019, 01:49:06 pm »
Why? That's Adrián's competition. If he's ready to play, he needs to be in goal for the Premier League and the Champions League since those are the prioritized competitions either way you slice it. Match fitness itself won't be an issue for a keeper like him. Even an Alisson at 80 % is still our best keeper, especially in terms of the aerial prowess and playing with his feet.

I think a calf injury is different for a keeper, mainly because the muscle will be working at 5% for 10 mins before being asked to push out 100% for a dive. There’s no feeling a tinge at 60% and being wary not to fuck it again.

So I think with Alison, it’s either he is 100% fit or he isn’t fit.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2019, 01:57:30 pm »

Makes perfect sense.  It's a tricky tie, even if both sides field largely second strings.  Having someone like Alisson in that game would be a great boost to the young lads.  I'm sure he'll be 100% fit but I'd guess he'd need at least a couple of games to get the mentality back up to speed.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2019, 02:55:42 pm »
We're turning City over twice this year. More if we meet them in any cups. Check out this famous quote:

"In the second half of the Community shield, Liverpool fucking battered them. City were forlorn, abject, uncertain and well overmatched. Liverpool havin a laugh, really"

Bob
right now.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2019, 04:08:51 pm »
Who was it this week who spoke about learning tactics and when to foul as a new City signing ... Rodri?
I hope the ref last weekend is not alone in cottoning on to their spoiling tactical fouls. 5 yellows last week. Without those, Wolves would not have been able to score - he would have been hauled down.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2019, 06:43:49 pm »
Who was it this week who spoke about learning tactics and when to foul as a new City signing ... Rodri?
I hope the ref last weekend is not alone in cottoning on to their spoiling tactical fouls. 5 yellows last week. Without those, Wolves would not have been able to score - he would have been hauled down.

I thought that was something that Pep has denied before, that his players were trained to commit tactical fouls whenever the opposition manages to launch a counter attack....

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 13, 2019, 03:14:34 pm »
One game at a time, I am just enjoying the run and every bit of football.
Believer

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2019, 05:41:04 pm »
The sooner Allison returns the more reliable Liverpool will look in defence. They just need to keep scrapping away till then.

One game at a time, or so the mantra goes. The only thing that matters is Manchester United away.

Agree that Alisson will improve the defence.

Which is frightening considering we've had the best defence in the league without him.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2019, 11:25:00 am »
Agree that Alisson will improve the defence.

Which is frightening considering we've had the best defence in the league without him.

We have but he brings the clean sheets, the handsome swine!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2019, 12:08:36 pm »
We have but he brings the clean sheets, the handsome swine!

Do you think strikers just lose their composure when they come face to face with him to shoot - y'know - dazzled by his handsome looks......or is he just  a really bloody good keeper? 

Might explain all these clean sheets??

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #269 on: October 15, 2019, 12:30:35 pm »
Do you think strikers just lose their composure when they come face to face with him to shoot - y'know - dazzled by his handsome looks......or is he just  a really bloody good keeper? 

Might explain all these clean sheets??
He certainly has that certain aura that all great keepers seem to have, which I'm sure will make a striker overthink a situation sometimes, making the keeper seem bigger and the goal seem smaller. The more clean sheets and great saves Alisson produces, the greater that aura becomes and the more pressure on strikers to make their limited chances count.

I think its the same with Virgil - its just expected that he wins the header, the tackle, and the interception, and you can visibly see players back out of challenges and gradually lose faith as the game progresses, as they realise that virtually nothing gets past him.

It's that aura that we now have - as individual players, as a team, a manager, and a club, and is a key part of what is keeping our momentum heading towards the title.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2019, 01:31:25 pm »
If Man City win the CL they'll be insufferable.

More insufferable than us? We still have another 7 months (at least) to set down the benchmark... :scarf
:champ  :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ

i hope we meet City in the CL again. Want see that Bus outside Anfield again  ;D

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2019, 03:53:35 pm »

i hope we meet City in the CL again. Want see that Bus outside Anfield again  ;D

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2019, 04:40:51 pm »

What a night haha

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 15, 2019, 05:18:31 pm »
So City have got Palace away, not such an easy game as they have been getting some decent results. Hopefully the Owl can do us a favour...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 15, 2019, 07:14:55 pm »
So City have got Palace away, not such an easy game as they have been getting some decent results. Hopefully the Owl can do us a favour...

City have won 5 of the last 7 there. I expect no less than a win for them. Same as I did when they played at Norwich and home to Wolves. Easy 3 points for City.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #275 on: October 15, 2019, 07:18:53 pm »
City have won 5 of the last 7 there. I expect no less than a win for them. Same as I did when they played at Norwich and home to Wolves. Easy 3 points for City.
Oh I see what you’ve done there......
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2019, 07:58:37 pm »
Something of Man City's aura seems to be wearing off, as Prem teams are realizing that they are allowed to have a go. Crystal Palace have a bit of pace and physicality about them. Man City are vulnerable at the back. It could be about 5-0 for Man City, or then again, they could lose by a couple. It's that sort of season so far for them.

They used to win so many, with such monotony and such ease. They could easily resume that and go on a lengthy winning run, but hopefully one or two doubts are starting to creep in. Seeing the start we have made will also add to their pressure, making them feel they've no margin for error left.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:00:54 pm by G Richards »

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: October 16, 2019, 04:25:58 am »
I thought the same when City played Spurs at home! ;D
Believer

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2019, 05:25:07 am »

Palace win and they go above City.

That'll be straight on Owl's resume

"2019: Above City for a week"

In fact City could be 6th by the end of the weekend. Who would've thought, a Manc club in 6th place?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:28:31 am by harleydanger »
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2019, 05:50:27 am »
Palace win and they go above City.

That'll be straight on Owl's resume

"2019: Above City for a week"

In fact City could be 6th by the end of the weekend. Who would've thought, a Manc club in 6th place?

The Owl would be mortified if he got one over on his peer and in many respects his successor, Pep Guardiola. He'll roll over and then praise Pep to the high heavens, hoping for a crumb in return.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.