The Liverpool FC Forum > News and Current Affairs

Diplomatic Immunity - Harry Dunn

(1/23) > >>

Andy82lfc:
Thought I'd open a thread to discuss as it's getting a bit lost in the Trump one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/16/harry-dunn-parents-vow-to-continue-fight-for-justice-after-trump-meeting-sacoolas

As others mentioned, seems like Trump basically tried to ambush them, get a meeting, photo, job done. To be honest I don't think ever going to see Trump was a good idea in the first place as it was always going to be like this, but suppose they are clinging onto hope he will do something.

All a horrible situation, they have lost their child and the woman is pretty much just hiding behind diplomatic immunity, only coming out with a statement when pushed with the 'revoking' of the immunity. I hope the parents and their adviser keep up the media pressure to get some justice as it must be a horrifying situation for them.

cdav:
Seems some reports that the husband of the accused works for the NSA/ CIA and she is not entitled to diplomatic immunity under the Vienna convention. But, there may be an agreement between us and the USA that effectively grants the same immunity- which could be the reason for all the secrecy.

Its an absolutely appalling situation

Iska:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3070873.stm

It seems like a weird situation but this sort of thing does happen from time to time.  Itís entirely up to the sending state whether it revokes the immunity - but thereís no way the US will do this.  She can be sued in the US courts I believe, but a criminal investigation is probably out of the question.

An ambush photo op is pretty low but whoíd expect anything better.

Andy82lfc:

--- Quote from: cdav on October 16, 2019, 12:41:55 pm ---Seems some reports that the husband of the accused works for the NSA/ CIA and she is not entitled to diplomatic immunity under the Vienna convention. But, there may be an agreement between us and the USA that effectively grants the same immunity- which could be the reason for all the secrecy.

Its an absolutely appalling situation

--- End quote ---

It is really messed up.

Yeah I heard about that. Also was hearing about the Murder of Yvonne Fletcher in the 80's in which diplomatic immunity was raised (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Yvonne_Fletcher), however in that case, which was very different, lots of incidents followed including the severing ties with Libya and allowing the US to bomb Libya from our bases. Obviously the US is a lot different but the point still must stand in that diplomatic immunity also comes with the notion that you have to abide by the laws of the country. You can't just kill someone's child and run away from all responsibility surely?

I think the crazy thing also is that she obviously didn't intent to kill him, it was an accident, but has got advice to just do a runner as she was brought back on a military/US plane. I understand her being scared but to now leave the family like this without facing up to anything is appalling. She was obviously up for that photo op too so she can look somewhat apologetic, as unless she is a complete sociopath she must surely be affected by it all.

Crosby Nick:
Itís a horrible situation thatís being badly handled. Clearly it was a genuine accident but if any of us had done it then obviously there would be criminal investigations to go through. Being able to run away from that just because of who you are married to seems fundamentally unfair.

Not really a surprise that the US have pretty much washed their hands of it. I feel for the parents, Iím sure theyíre not wanting vengeance, just for the correct procedures to apply but canít see it apart from as said above, pursuing something through the US courts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version