The Liverpool FC Forum > News and Current Affairs

Minimum price plan to end cheap alcohol sales

(1/35) > >>

Spongebob Redpants:
Part of the article from the BBC website ( full article on the BBC website).

Looks like this is finally going to be introduced .

Sceptical of the reasons ? - just a bit !

Ministers are proposing a minimum price of 45p a unit for the sale of alcohol in England and Wales as part of a drive to tackle problem drinking.

The Home Office has launched a 10-week consultation on the plan, arguing it will help reduce the levels of ill-health and crime related to alcohol.

It is also considering banning multi-buy promotions, such as two-for-the-price-of-one.

The 45p proposal is 5p higher than the figure suggested by ministers in March.

It comes after pressure has been mounting on the government to follow Scotland's lead, where 50p has been proposed.

The aim of a minimum price would be to alter the cost of heavily-discounted drinks sold in shops and supermarkets. It is not expected to affect the price of drinks in many pubs.

The Home Office said the consultation was targeted at "harmful drinkers and irresponsible shops".

A spokesman added: "Those who enjoy a quiet drink or two have nothing to fear from our proposals."

Paulie's Wallnuts:
a 4% can of lager is 1.8 units so this would make a can's minimum price 81p and a 24 pack would in theory be a minimum of 20. Not alot of difference if you ask me and it's all designed to line the pockets of HMRC anyway (thats another topic).

IMO there should be a maximum price of alcohol so consumers aren't ripped off. Surely the logic of putting a minimum price wouldnt put people off buying it?

Paulie's Wallnuts:

--- Quote from: Spongebob Redpants on November 28, 2012, 01:17:30 pm ---Part of the article from the BBC website ( full article on the BBC website).

Looks like this is finally going to be introduced .

Sceptical of the reasons ? - just a bit !

Ministers are proposing a minimum price of 45p a unit for the sale of alcohol in England and Wales as part of a drive to tackle problem drinking.

The Home Office has launched a 10-week consultation on the plan, arguing it will help reduce the levels of ill-health and crime related to alcohol.

It is also considering banning multi-buy promotions, such as two-for-the-price-of-one.

The 45p proposal is 5p higher than the figure suggested by ministers in March.

It comes after pressure has been mounting on the government to follow Scotland's lead, where 50p has been proposed.

The aim of a minimum price would be to alter the cost of heavily-discounted drinks sold in shops and supermarkets. It is not expected to affect the price of drinks in many pubs.

The Home Office said the consultation was targeted at "harmful drinkers and irresponsible shops".

A spokesman added: "Those who enjoy a quiet drink or two have nothing to fear from our proposals."
--- End quote ---

Also, dangerous bit of spin that.

smig:
Sticking a couple of quid on a bottle of vodka or a few pence on a four-pack of lager is not going to curb binge-drinking. The issue is a cultural one and requires better education from an early age to resolve it. This is a token piece of legislation which won't have any effect on the people who are looking to implement it.

JerseyKloppite:

--- Quote from: smig on November 28, 2012, 02:57:44 pm ---Sticking a couple of quid on a bottle of vodka or a few pence on a four-pack of lager is not going to curb binge-drinking. The issue is a cultural one and requires better education from an early age to resolve it. This is a token piece of legislation which won't have any effect on the people who are looking to implement it.

--- End quote ---

That said, there's nothing I can see inherently wrong with it. It may be a bit of a waste of time, but if it curbs drinking a bit, it might be worth it.

I think the legislation is aimed at bulk deals - normally when a world cup is on, you can get something ridiculous like 2 crates of 20/24 cans for 20 or so. Similar promotions encourage people (I know this applied to me when I was studying) to buy a load more booze than they plan on drinking, which often gets drunk anyway, meaning that people can get dangerously hammered.

Not buying that second crate, or extra bottle, may be the difference between someone getting so drunk they start a fight / walk in front of a car / drink drive and not doing so. If the chances of these events are decreased, even slightly, it has to be positive, if perhaps largely ineffectual.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version