Author Topic: From Anfield To FC Witchita  (Read 5318 times)

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
From Anfield To FC Witchita
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:11:15 am »
I am so proud of my grandson who has achieved a scholarship in the States in Kansas. His scholarship is with FC Witchita, just outside of Kansas City.

http://www.fcwichita.com/team/liverpool-academy/

He is now 6 foot three tall and he makes my neck ache just trying to talk to him!  ;D

It was only a few years ago when he was at the height of my shoulder that I took him to his first Anfield match experience where his hero Steven Gerrard scored a cracking goal against Everton, he didn't care it was draw at the end of the match!

Was it that long ago?

He loved and remembered everything about the journey to the match.

He loved the match itself, with a quiet grin when a fellow supporter to my left kicked the crap out of the seat in front of him (the fella in front was on his feet) due to the stress of the match when Gerrard scored a cracker ~ with abject apologies to the poor auld fella who now thenceforth had to sit on a metal bar for the rest of the match!

Christmas! ;D footy is passionate isn't it?  :o

The journey back home was just as wonderful for us both of us from getting on the soccer bus to Lime Street Station and then onto the train on the first leg back home and changing for another train which broke down at York ~ so we transferred to a National Express coach which took us to Thirsk. Then another coach back home to ironically the railway station!  ::)

It was 1:08 am when we got back home from that match (15:00 kick off) and all the banter on that night getting back home, just brilliant - plus a slightly expensive taxi ride home in the middle of the night!

Sipping a Gregg's Latte with my missus and the two young grand daughters sheltering from the rain munching on Christmas chocolately cookies with us today - tall grandson, back from  the States until January 6th, turns up with his mate and we get chatting - I asked him if he remembered our journey.

He said he will never forget that day ~ he even enjoyed the butties!

Was it really that long ago?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:45:56 pm by Socratease »
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FC Witchita
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:15:01 am »
Congrat's to your grandson but I've no idea what this has to do with with Anfield.  Maybe you posted in the wrong forum and it was meant for the boozer.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:17:39 am by Samie »

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:33:12 am »
Do you refer to this one?

The thread title gives no clue to the contents and it's in the Boozer instead of News and Current Affairs. I only looked by chance. The OP is not well written either. Maybe try again?
Report to moderator   Logged
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Quote from: John C on May 20, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

There is truth in that.

Many thanks Samie!

;D

Socrates

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 02:35:34 am »
Yes the very same one.  :D

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Re: From Anfield To FC Witchita
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:34:54 pm »
  ;)

We (me and the missus) are traveling down to the daughters house (son-in-law is picking us up - he supports Man Utd but he keeps his gob shut, and we need the lft!;D - though he speaks well of our Liverpool FC  team unless his side plays ours!:rash)  for Christmas dinner and I hope our grandson can attend with us.

Sporting memories should never be forgotten, they should be sought for; http://www.sportingmemoriesnetwork.com/ (hit play and go full screen).

Sporting memories, especially at Anfield, are treasures recalled from memory and past experience.

My grandson's are only just beginning.

He wears bigger shoes than mine, but they are not yet well worn ~ or even walked in as yet.

From Anfield to.....

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:36:41 pm by Socratease »

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Re: From Anfield To FC Witchita
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:32:00 am »
Back in the 90s I once worked at a therapeutic community in the North East way outside of the city itself and Kevin Keegan had recently signed to be Newcastle United's Manager and he was with two big shots sitting down for an out of the way pub dinner.  I was outside of the pub window at the bus stop in the pouring rain and storming winds waiting for the bus after a shift at work when I saw him and the others sitting down for a  meal in the pub's bay window - it was Kevin Keegan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znCMFEt35o0

I put  my face against one of the medieval style multiple glass blocks of  the bay window and I waved at him and he actually waved back ~ I shouted through the block of glass in the terrible wind and rain, 'You're Liverpool's best!' (I was carried away by the moment) but he could not hear me through the weather and the glass, but he did understand my general utterances.  ;D     

I was really made up in getting Peter Bearsdley to turn up for Jack's 100th  birthday;                                                       

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/navy-veteran-celebrates-100th-birthday-6734686 (I'm the chubby auld fella at the beginning of the vid in the orange top  :o).

I think I gave Peter a scare once or twice with the requests for his signature from many members of the staff over and over again before he could eventually leave the premises!   ;D             

You meet legends like Aldridge and Hall http://xtra.liverpoolfc.com/news/the-view-from-raotl-brian-hall-a-gentleman-first-and-a-footballer-second over time.

My grandson told me that our trip to Anfield when he was a kid was literally a game changer in his young life.

I think I have done a good  job, the rest is upto him...

Socrates