Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399393 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2480 on: January 11, 2019, 12:26:31 pm »
All the numbers people have put out look really positive for us. Despite that I have still bulk ordered the retinol face cream because I am certain that I will age far quicker than the normal rate over the next 5 months though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2481 on: January 11, 2019, 12:48:46 pm »
All the numbers people have put out look really positive for us. Despite that I have still bulk ordered the retinol face cream because I am certain that I will age far quicker than the normal rate over the next 5 months though.

What about foam? You use foam?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2482 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »
This is an interesting final 4 games:

April
20 – Cardiff City (A)
27 – Huddersfield Town (H)

May
4 – Newcastle United (A)
12 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)

There's a very high chance Cardiff and Huddersfield will be relegated by then, and by extension Newcastle could be safe with nothing to play for. And its almost certain that Wolves will have nothing to play for on the final day (and may even go deep in the FA Cup). I don't think our final 4 fixtures could be any better.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2483 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:29 pm »
delopenz likes this
bollocks

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2484 on: January 11, 2019, 01:03:57 pm »
I think who drops points first could be crucial. If our lead falls to 2 or 1 you know there will be a lot of talk of feeling the pressure. If we can extend the lead back to 6 or 7 and City know they don’t play us again then that might feel a tall order for them, especially with all their cup commitments.

It's why a win at brighton is potentially massive. Win there and it's straight back up to 7 points. Last time we played well in advance of city, they stumbled and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2485 on: January 11, 2019, 01:05:00 pm »

April
20 – Cardiff City (A)

May
4 – Newcastle United (A)

There's a very high chance Cardiff and Huddersfield will be relegated by then, and by extension Newcastle could be safe with nothing to play for. And its almost certain that Wolves will have nothing to play for on the final day (and may even go deep in the FA Cup). I don't think our final 4 fixtures could be any better.

If newcastle are safe Rafa will play ant and dec up front and cheryl cole in goal.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2486 on: January 11, 2019, 01:06:15 pm »
It's why a win at brighton is potentially massive. Win there and it's straight back up to 7 points. Last time we played well in advance of city, they stumbled and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

That was the time before. We went 10 clear when we beat Arsenal but they won away at Southampton the next day which was annoying because was hoping zings would do us a favour but didn’t even come on.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2487 on: January 11, 2019, 01:10:31 pm »

April
20 – Cardiff City (A)

May
4 – Newcastle United (A)

The relegated teams with nothing to play for tend to play without any pressure and can sometimes cause a shock or two..
It's the mid table teams who are safe and have nothing to play for that are usually on a beach already..

So we'll need to be ruthless whatever scenario we find ourselves in and just continue to grind out results..

Or maybe we win it by then and City implode in early April.. here's hoping at least..  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Online Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2488 on: January 11, 2019, 02:28:40 pm »
I think who drops points first could be crucial. If our lead falls to 2 or 1 you know there will be a lot of talk of feeling the pressure. If we can extend the lead back to 6 or 7 and City know they don’t play us again then that might feel a tall order for them, especially with all their cup commitments.
This

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2489 on: January 11, 2019, 07:43:43 pm »
What about foam? You use foam?
How often do you cream yourself?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2490 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:20 pm »
Finished all me jobs at 3-30 today so sat off for an hour in me Corpy van in Everton Valley and made my predictions for us and City..  We will win the league by 4pts...

Late one then?  ;)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2491 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:25 pm »

April
20 – Cardiff City (A)

May
4 – Newcastle United (A)

I’d argue quite the opposite. Teams are a nightmare to play against when they have nothing to play for
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2492 on: January 11, 2019, 07:51:33 pm »
I’d argue quite the opposite. Teams are a nightmare to play against when they have nothing to play for

Exactly - look at Everton every season.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2493 on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:06 pm »
For the club and the supporters, winning the league, for some of the players I'd say that winning the European cup is just as significant.

Years ago , probably mid 80's, probably Maxwell's. I remember a few of us talking about FA Cup v League Winners. Quite a few preferred the FA Cup for the glory on the day because we quite often had the league sewn up with games to go..

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2494 on: January 11, 2019, 07:58:28 pm »
Marcus Christenson mentioned the jump in league points per game with 4 or more days' prep (on the Football Weekly podcast on Thursday 10th).

The source was Christoffer Johansson on twitter. https://twitter.com/bojochris
Specifically this thread: https://twitter.com/bojochris/status/1082330460779364352

Our points per game (based on historical stats) jumps up 0.25 when we get 4 or more prep/rest days between games, compared with games when we get 3 or fewer.

The same pattern applied at Dortmund - the jump was 0.23.

(I won't be crying if Bayern knock us out of the CL.)

I've been thinking this for a while, and thanks to you, now I don't think I've been mad to think that all this time. Last 6 games could get hectic with CL Quarters & Semis & there are no guarantees in those stages.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2495 on: January 11, 2019, 08:02:39 pm »
Hands up, who can't have children?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2496 on: January 11, 2019, 09:46:20 pm »
What's this about the United V City game being moved? When will it be played if so?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2497 on: January 12, 2019, 04:57:45 pm »
7 point gap again, pressure on City.

City are going to be going into a lot of games in the next few weeks, 7 or 10 points behind, albeit with a game or two in hand, if we can keep winning. That pressure has to tell at some point hopefully.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #2498 on: January 12, 2019, 05:34:06 pm »
Our away form may carry us a long way in the run in. City will only have 7 home matches after Wolves and 4 of them are against Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, and Leicester. Their away form will need to be very, very good.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #2499 on: January 12, 2019, 06:12:14 pm »
You can bet your bottom dollar Pep and City had an eye on this game waiting to see how much damage they caused us.

It'll be a bit of a blow to them and as discouraging as it could be at this stage. You can't put into words how important this win was for us today. Absolutely fucking massive!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2500 on: January 12, 2019, 06:18:03 pm »
Years ago , probably mid 80's, probably Maxwell's. I remember a few of us talking about FA Cup v League Winners. Quite a few preferred the FA Cup for the glory on the day because we quite often had the league sewn up with games to go..

Those were the days - amazing how spoilt we were really.

I've been thinking this for a while, and thanks to you, now I don't think I've been mad to think that all this time. Last 6 games could get hectic with CL Quarters & Semis & there are no guarantees in those stages.

I'm usually greedy, but this season I would happily give up the CL to win the league.

I think we will be OK in both though, were quite happy to sit and grind out results now, so Europe may not be a big drain on us a previously.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2501 on: January 12, 2019, 07:28:23 pm »
So 22 down, 16 to go of which 9 are home and 7 away.

Away we only have 2 teams in the current top 10 namely United and West Ham.  The others are Everton, Fulham, Southampton, Cardiff and Newcastle.

Every game has to be won and there are no easy rides but looks very promising.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2502 on: January 12, 2019, 07:50:39 pm »
Chelsea and Spurs from those home games could be tricky. Haven’t beaten Chelsea at home in years and Spurs are dogged. But we should be confident we can win them all.

But those aways look decent. United will make it tough for us, West Ham could, or they could be poor. Everton will want to hurt us. Others have to win but that could play into our hands and if we keep dispatching the lower sides I can see us getting 7 wins from that 9.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2503 on: January 12, 2019, 07:55:28 pm »
So 22 down, 16 to go of which 9 are home and 7 away.

Away we only have 2 teams in the current top 10 namely United and West Ham.  The others are Everton, Fulham, Southampton, Cardiff and Newcastle.

Every game has to be won and there are no easy rides but looks very promising.

West Ham away I think is the toughest we have over the next couple of months. And not sure what Leicester will be like as good chance they’ll have a new manager by the time we play them.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2504 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:03 pm »
An interesting point to remember is that because Man City will be playing in the League Cup final, we will have a game advantage over them for quite a while. If they go deep in the FA Cup that could become two games. So keep winning and we will talking about stretching the gap to 10 or 13 points, which will put huge pressure on them.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Redondos Barber

• Kopite
« Reply #2505 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:56 pm »
If newcastle are safe Rafa will play ant and dec up front and cheryl cole in goal.
No way Rafa will play two upfront, even at home.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2506 on: January 12, 2019, 09:23:27 pm »
An interesting point to remember is that because Man City will be playing in the League Cup final, we will have a game advantage over them for quite a while. If they go deep in the FA Cup that could become two games. So keep winning and we will talking about stretching the gap to 10 or 13 points, which will put huge pressure on them.
Im sure it was Sir Bob who used to say he preferred having the points rather than games in hand because you still had to win your games in hand.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:26:09 pm by simesy »
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2507 on: January 12, 2019, 09:30:40 pm »
We will win the league comfortably I reckon

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2508 on: January 12, 2019, 09:42:31 pm »
Im sure it was Sir Bob who used to say he preferred having the points rather than games in hand because you still had to win your games in hand.

Every time although 13/14 should focus our minds a little. Different this time if we have a genuine big lead.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2509 on: January 12, 2019, 09:42:34 pm »

[/quote]
We will win the league comfortably I reckon

Wish I could share your level of optimism. City almost back to full strength injury wise and despite how the bookies have it, City are marginal favourites imo.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2510 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:46 pm »
One game at a time. Palace next.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2511 on: January 12, 2019, 10:00:36 pm »
Wish I could share your level of optimism. City almost back to full strength injury wise and despite how the bookies have it, City are marginal favourites imo.

We need to stop thinking about City and concentrate about ourselves. We continue to win there is bugger all they can do about it. Despite their returning sqad and being favourites.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2512 on: January 12, 2019, 10:00:40 pm »

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2513 on: January 12, 2019, 10:05:31 pm »
Beat palace at home and we have 60 points in the middle of January ... that’s ridiculous it really is

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #2514 on: January 12, 2019, 10:24:31 pm »
3 out of the next 4 are at home. Coupled with the win today, to be at home 3 of the next 4 at this stage is huge IMO.

YWNA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2515 on: January 12, 2019, 10:29:13 pm »
3 out of the next 4 are at home. Coupled with the win today, to be at home 3 of the next 4 at this stage is huge IMO.

Spurs’ next 5 they have 4 at home but then they are not in the race.

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #2516 on: January 12, 2019, 10:35:44 pm »
Spurs’ next 5 they have 4 at home but then they are not in the race.

I don’t think we can discount them at 9 points behind with a game in hand. However, like City they have a lot of games with the league cup and FA cup. It’s tough to win all cup games and all league games.
YWNA

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2517 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:05 pm »
I don’t think we can discount them at 9 points behind with a game in hand. However, like City they have a lot of games with the league cup and FA cup. It’s tough to win all cup games and all league games.

They are going to physically fall off a cliff soon. I actually think their points total is a bit of a false position. They have been very fortunate in a number of games.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2518 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:54 pm »
An old friend could assist us greatly soon. C'mon Rafa! :scarf

Tue, Jan 29
Newcastle United
v
Manchester City

Sat, Feb 2
Tottenham Hotspur
v
Newcastle United

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2519 on: January 12, 2019, 10:42:32 pm »
Not forgetting Spurs are away to the other top 4 teams. They won't be in the mix at the tail end. I wonder how much they'll miss Son? Their fixtures look favourable while he us away.