Author Topic: Crystal Palace v Liverpool, Sunday January 23 - Match Preview  (Read 9471 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Crystal Palace v Liverpool, Sunday January 23 - Match Preview
« on: January 21, 2022, 03:51:22 pm »
CRYSTAL PALACE v LIVERPOOL, Sunday January 23, 2pm

Nobody thought January, traditionally our bogey month, would be any easier this year without Salah and Mane (and Keita – thanks for the reminder, boss), but we’ve managed to cruise through so far, putting Brentford to the sword and dominating a resurgent Arsenal at their place. Jota and Jones have both looked lethal excellent but for me, the star has been a defence that’s largely looked impenetrable, a great flashback to the first half of our last title winning season. But when has this fixture ever been a low-scoring affair? Two of my earliest football memories involve the 9-0 thrashing when Aldo bid adieu by throwing his boots into the Kop, and the 4-3 FA Cup semi-final when we narrowly missed out on a double for the third consecutive year.

After four years, Roy Hodgson left Palace in the summer, to be replaced by Patrick Vieira. We got the Vieira era off to a great start in September with a 3-0 win punctuated by an excellent Keita volley. The less said about Jota blazing the ball over from three yards out the better. They’re still a mid-table team, but one that’s far more entertaining to watch, with young talents like Conor Gallagher, Marc Guehi, Michael Olise, Tyrick Mitchell and Odsonne Édouard having staked places in the first team.

Chelsea loanee Gallagher is their danger man, a strong box-to-box midfielder who’s drawn comparisons to Frank Lampard due to his goalscoring record, but Palace aren’t any better defensively than they have been in recent years, also conceding three to Chelsea, Spurs, Burnley and, on New Year’s Day, West Ham. They did inflict one of Man City’s two league defeats this season so they have it in them to pull off a shock, but the fact their sole wins over the last two months have come against relegation candidates Norwich and Everton mean we should be expecting a win.

So how will the teams line up?

For us, it’s likely to be a largely unchanged team, particularly since we’re about to head into yet another international break and we don’t have another match for a fortnight afterwards. None of Thiago, Origi or Elliott are back to full fitness and Oxlade-Chamberlain remains a doubt due to the ankle injury he picked up against Brentford. Curtis Williams Jones has been very impressive in midfield and will surely keep his place while Minamino looks a good bet to come back into the team following a couple of cameo appearances where he’s looked dangerous.

Palace meanwhile are without holding midfielder Cheikhou Kouyaté, who’s playing alongside Mane at AFCON, and Wilfred Zaha, who’s representing the Ivory Coast. They do however have Eberechi Eze back from a torn achilles, and he’ll probably start in a front three. This is how they lined up against Brighton last week:

Essentially, Palace’s team is young, fast and hungry with an extra few days rest, but they’re also raw and relatively inexperienced. Let’s see this one out and move on.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Crystal Palace v Liverpool, Sunday January 23 - Match Preview
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 04:11:03 pm »
They'll just be pleased Mane is away. Scored in his last 85 games against Palace or something. We've also won our last 7 at Selhurst Park.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 04:11:05 pm »
It was interesting seeing the reaction to Jones on Thur night. I thought he was excellent but I have seen a few opinions that he slows us down too much.

In any case, I think we should go with Alisson in goal and Minimino for Gordon, otherwise the same team as Thur.

My biggest concern is Henderson. I'm not one of these haters (who have never really gone away, just kept their heads down for a few years), but to me so far in 2022 he has looked off it. On the plus side, he got took off early on Thur so might be a bit fresher. If he's not fully fit then I'd throw Milner in instead, but I definitely want to see Fabinho and Jones starting in MF.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 04:11:59 pm »
Thanks for the write up SM

Hopefully we go in to this full of confidence, one last push before the big guns return after the international break. Same side that started against Arsenal would be ideal but there are question marks around Matips fitness and we may see Taki come in for Gordon. Hopefully Ox is fit enough to return as we looked very short of attacking options. Palace are missing Koyate and Zaha but Ayew will be back for them. Should be a good match but we should have enough to see these off.

“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 04:15:06 pm »
Had no idea Jack Butland was at Palace. Like the Brentford game I don't expect pretty football but you'd like to think we have too much for them, especially with them missing players themselves. We ended up making more chances last night than I thought we would and confidence should be high here. Alisson back in no doubt and probably Minamino for Gordon. Jones should keep his place with Henderson and Fabinho in the middle. Oxlade back for the bench hopefully.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 04:21:08 pm »
Thanks for the write up.

They look decent going forward but their defence looks suspect. Play like we did the other night, shut up that annoying racket their fans go in for, clean sheet and a couple of goals and into the winter break.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 04:24:02 pm »
One of those banana peel games - we really have to win.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:31:38 pm »
Konate in for Matip I reckon if he’s injured
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Hi72

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 07:02:08 pm »
If we perform as Vs Arsenal and they don't have Zaha this should be 3 points.   They are certainly easier on the eye than under owl face (not difficult) but as the OP says, still a mid table team.  I would go with the same team that started vs Arsenal unless Joel is injured in which case Konate.   Bobby to score a brace in what I hope will be a 0-2 scoreline!  Up the false positive reds!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 07:03:10 pm »
Same as recent games. Nothing silly, keep it tight, and at some point even without Sadio and Mo our class will show.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 07:21:18 pm »
If we perform as Vs Arsenal and they don't have Zaha this should be 3 points.   They are certainly easier on the eye than under owl face (not difficult) but as the OP says, still a mid table team.  I would go with the same team that started vs Arsenal unless Joel is injured in which case Konate.   Bobby to score a brace in what I hope will be a 0-2 scoreline!  Up the false positive reds!

Interestingly, on the xG table, they would be in 5th place, just under Arsenal

So they're better than you'd expect them to be.....suggests a fragility that we should be able to exploit

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 08:25:53 pm »
Referee: Kevin Friend.
Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Simon Beck.
Fourth official: Andre Marriner.
VAR: Craig Pawson.
Assistant VAR: Simon Long.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 11:25:07 pm »
If we were full strength I wouldn't bat an eyelid here but they have actually been pretty good this year, it's at their place and we just played on Thursday. I still expect all 3 points but this might be a nail biter.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 11:27:31 pm »
3 points please.
Then we will have had a decent Jan recovery without the #Afcon3

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 11:30:23 pm »
Thanks for the OP again Sheer. Can see it being quite tight but really need the 3 points to keep in the title race and if we play like we did Thursday night we should get them. Probably be one of those nervy ones though.

A win would make for an excellent January all things considered. Been a really fantastic effort by the whole staff.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 12:36:24 am »

Zaha out is a bonus for them and that front 3 posted in the OP are quick, dangerous and hungry. Add Gallagher this is one of the better attacking sides in the league outside the top 5 or 6. Overall a decent but improving side and a game that will not be handy but if we control it like we did Arsenal we will be fine.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 12:55:03 am »
Thanks for the OP and thanks for posting your team prediction. I wouldn’t mind seeing Konate start as I think he is going to be a star. I would like to see Gordon play and maybe he starts ahead of Minamino with the latter coming on later.
#JFT97

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 01:22:25 am »
Cheers for the OP. I’d go largely unchanged from the other night, Alisson for Kelleher, Konate in for Matip and that’s it. I’d give Gordon another start rather than go back to Taki or Ox out of position

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 01:23:25 am »
This could be a very hard game. There wouldn’t really be any great shame in dropping points here, given the personnel missing and the fact that Palace have looked alright this season. Of course, if we’re clicking like we did midweek we could potentially cruise through it too.

I hate it when we play there though. It’s just one of those games you want to get out the way. Getting a scrappy late win was one of my favourite moments of the title winning season.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 02:37:26 am »
Kouyate is a big miss for them, 3 points please, wouldn't mind Gordon getting more game time
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 07:10:42 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Sheer, as you say, some classic matches involving them. Taki played very well in the 7-0 so deserves another go at them. Think that will be the only change if Matip coming off was precautionary.
Was worrying about this game as they have some very decent attacking players now but think that after Thursday we should get into them and be hungry for more.
2-0 to the Reds is my score prediction.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 07:44:15 am »
One of those banana peel games - we really have to win.

We’ve not lost or drawn against these in a couple of years. It’s a misconception, everyone is scarred by that result in 2014, including myself.

We should be smashing these

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 08:18:32 am »
We’ve not lost or drawn against these in a couple of years. It’s a misconception, everyone is scarred by that result in 2014, including myself.

We should be smashing these

We then lost there the following season after Ricky Lambert scored early.

Since then:
14/15 (FA Cup): W 2-1 (came from a goal down)
15/16: W 2-1 (injury time penalty winner)
16/17: W 2-4 (bit of a mad game in the neon yellow kit)
17/18: W 2-1 (another come from behind win)
18/19: W 2-0 (early season)
19/20: W 2-1 (late Bobby Winner)
20/22: W 7-0 (battered)

With the obvious exception of last season they’re often tight hard fought games but we must have a better recent record here than any other away ground in the league.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 10:00:01 am »

......None of Thiago, Origi or Elliott are back to full fitness and Oxlade-Chamberlain remains a doubt due to the ankle injury he picked up against Brentford. Curtis Williams Jones has been very impressive in midfield and will surely keep his place while Minamino looks a good bet to come back into the team following a couple of cameo appearances where he’s looked dangerous.

You are Paul Merson!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 11:09:11 am »
Team should hopefully be:

Becker

Trent
Kounate
VVD
Robbo

Fabinho
Hendo
Curtis

Bobby
Jota
Minamino

Any ideas on Origi? I'd expect Elliot might be back for the FA Cup and bed him back in slowly.

Hopefully by our next league game we'll have everyone back including Thiago.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 01:40:16 pm »
Yeah agree with the team above, think that's what we'll go with.  Get a win here and we're in a really good position after the break with everyone back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 01:56:52 pm »
Hasn’t been a full recovery period from Thursday night right? … would be good if we used the squad and freshened things up… could potentially bring in Minamino, Milner, Chamberlain and Tsimikas …  but we probably won’t as we generally don’t

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 07:36:54 pm »
Just fucking win Redmen!

Offline Darkness

• Tedious WUM, loves betting on Man U
  • Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 07:41:32 pm »
Win would be huge with Mane and Salah coming back , winning the title might still be a long shot but even the prospect keeping the title race alive keeps the games interesting.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 07:45:12 pm »
Was thinking on Thursday we will be knackered for this game. However tonight's draw will hopefully spark a bit of energy into the team. Need to win.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2022, 07:45:30 pm »
Just need to win

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2022, 08:00:52 pm »
I still believe and I’ll take 1-0 now!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 08:02:56 pm »
Was thinking on Thursday we will be knackered for this game. However tonight's draw will hopefully spark a bit of energy into the team. Need to win.

Yeah, we will be tired, will be a tough game, any win will do.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 08:13:18 pm »

You don’t feel tired when your winning

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 09:59:49 pm »
Today’s dropped points by City means that we must win and put whatever pressure we can on them.
#JFT97

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 10:04:55 pm »
Thanks Sheer, class postcard there.
I think we will win and I think it will be a further improvement from the Arsenal game. This transition team is settling now. If we are clinical we should win.

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 10:28:54 pm »
Thanks Sheer Magnetism for your thread.  I agree with other posters; a 1:0 win through a penalty, free kick, deflection will do!  It is about winning now.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2022, 12:03:49 am »
Mentality monsters will get the job done.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2022, 12:08:27 am »
Only on page 1 of the match thread on match day.  Everyone given up on the league?
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 12:11:21 am »
is origi back?