539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1435258 times)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
Re: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"
« Reply #33040 on: November 5, 2019, 06:40:40 pm »
If you're a Leaver you vote Tory or Brexit Party.

If you're for Remain why would you trust Labour? Corbyn wants Brexit and will campaign to Leave.

If you don't care either way why would you vote for prolonging the agony?

There's no guarantee that the EU will grant another extension or renegotiate a deal.
I don't actually disagree with anything you have said there, I was saying that anyone could justify voting for Labour's policy. For instance a conflicted ex-labour-voting leaver could justify to himself or his mates, voting labour on the grounds that they are pushing for a deal so he doesn't have to betray labour. Remainers of any persuasion (even tories) could 'respect public opinion' by not withdrawing article 50 until a second ref demands it, etc etc.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #33041 on: November 5, 2019, 06:41:19 pm »
This is what Junker says about the labour policy

Jean-Claude Juncker says he doesn't think it’s realistic for Jeremy Corbyn to negotiate a new Brexit deal if Labour wins the election
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33042 on: November 5, 2019, 06:42:18 pm »
If it came to it, I reckon 75% of the Labour party would argue for Remain in the referendum, the other 25% would argue for Brexit. Mr Corbyn would probably be in the 25%, "respecting the will of the people in the 2016 referendum" and all that.
Thats how I see it.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33043 on: November 5, 2019, 06:50:01 pm »
This is what Junker says about the labour policy

Well exactly, which is why Corbyn would be better minded to take the route of a 2nd referendum as their primary pledge, instead of muddying the waters and looking at revisiting a twice negotiated Brexit deal, which no-one is really going to entertain and further alienates the voters.

Tories - Leave
Lib Dems - Revoke
Labour - Its complicated

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33044 on: November 5, 2019, 06:52:32 pm »
It's a ludicrous position that Labour are putting themselves in though. The only way Corbyn ends up backing Remain is if they either can't secure a new agreement or if they admit that their own deal is shit. He's not going to spend months negotiating and then turn around and say his efforts were worthless.

I don’t see why Corbyn/Lab re-negotiating a likelier softer Brexit, making a few concessions and putting it back to the people is controversial, they’ve already said they’d back Remain in a confirmatory public vote from what I gather.

The quandary seems to be that why would the EU give Labour a good deal if they are set on backing Remain.. but the same question can be levelled at the Tories negotiating a deal with the EU whilst threatening to leave with a big hard no deal Brexit come what may.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33045 on: November 5, 2019, 07:05:09 pm »
I don’t see why Corbyn/Lab re-negotiating a likelier softer Brexit, making a few concessions and putting it back to the people is controversial, they’ve already said they’d back Remain in a confirmatory public vote from what I gather.

The quandary seems to be that why would the EU give Labour a good deal if they are set on backing Remain.. but the same question can be levelled at the Tories negotiating a deal with the EU whilst threatening to leave with a big hard no deal Brexit come what may.

No.

In this interview on Sky on Sunday, Rebecca Long-Bailey refuses 3 times to rule out Labour backing leaving with the deal they hope to negotiate.

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/media-centre/articles/en-gb/Sophy-Ridge-on-Sunday-Rebecca-Long-Bailey

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #33046 on: November 5, 2019, 07:15:03 pm »

Commonsense approach to me

Tories Brexit no matter how maintains division in the country for decades to come and they are working on a division of roughly at least 50-50 then probably 40-60 now at least.

Libdem Revoke,  again ignores the leavers point of view completely and maintains division in society for years if not decades to come, same figures as above

Labour lets try to find a deal and then offer it up to the people for the ultimate decision. That might just heal a great deal of the division in the UK and by doing both actions killing two birds with the same stone. Still giving the people the final word but on a deal and not some unicorn policies on the side of a bus:

If you remove the hardliners i would say about 60-70% of society just went with the flow and can easily be united with the right policies

Of course it is misrepresented in the media and by some in here who are keen to promote anything negative from Labour:

Anyway football now bye
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33047 on: November 6, 2019, 09:48:55 am »
If you're a Leaver you vote Tory or Brexit Party.

If you're for Remain why would you trust Labour? Corbyn wants Brexit and will campaign to Leave.

If you don't care either way why would you vote for prolonging the agony?

There's no guarantee that the EU will grant another extension or renegotiate a deal.

There are plenty of Remainers who will vote Labour because they've been voting Labour since long before Brexit was ever an issue.

It's the typically Labour voting Leavers who could switch to Farrage that I'll never understand.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #33048 on: November 6, 2019, 10:19:48 am »
2 How can you say whether you back the deal until you know what it is. You don't go out to buy a car at all costs do you, you try and get the best deal you can and then decide if it's acceptable.

The analogy falls down because we already have a perfectly good car.

The Tories 'no-deal' scenario is basically - 'The family has insisted we sell the car so we'll dump our car in a lay-by, get the bus home in the hope we can get a better car from somewhere in the future...'

Johnson's deal: 'The family has insisted we sell the car so we will trade our car for a basic model with no extras...'

Labour deal: 'The family has insisted we sell the car so we'll trade in the car for worse model but with a few extras...'

Every option is worse than the one we already have.

The first thing to try is to tell the family not to be so fucking stupid. The second, if we are going to go through with it, is to say what the minimum requirements are. In the case of Brexit, Labour have already stated what the minimum requirements of the deal would be:

Labour's six tests:

1. Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?

2. Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?

3. Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?

4. Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?

5. Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?

6. Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33049 on: November 6, 2019, 10:39:02 am »
The analogy falls down because we already have a perfectly good car.

The Tories 'no-deal' scenario is basically - 'The family has insisted we sell the car so we'll dump our car in a lay-by, get the bus home in the hope we can get a better car from somewhere in the future...'

Johnson's deal: 'The family has insisted we sell the car so we will trade our car for a basic model with no extras...'

Labour deal: 'The family has insisted we sell the car so we'll trade in the car for worse model but with a few extras...'

Every option is worse than the one we already have.

The first thing to try is to tell the family not to be so fucking stupid. The second, if we are going to go through with it, is to say what the minimum requirements are. In the case of Brexit, Labour have already stated what the minimum requirements of the deal would be:

Labour's six tests:

1. Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?

2. Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?

3. Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?

4. Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?

5. Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?

6. Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?

I largely agree with what you say but that is not the Labour deal. The Labour deal says that you can then decide if the shit deal is what you want, or you can keep the best deal of all. Thats a big difference. It's the best route out at the moment because the 'anti-democratic' route the Lib-Dems have chosen, would not make it go away, it would cause ructions.

There has been many a fuck-up along the way but (as I said) at this point in time, this seems to me to be the most logical way of trying to deal with the subject.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #33050 on: November 6, 2019, 10:41:22 am »
Stephen Bush on why the report into Russian influence on the referendum in 2016 has been shelved by the government.

Good morning. Downing Street is under fire for delaying a report by Parliament's intelligence and security committee into alleged acts of espionage, interference and sabotage by the Russian government in elections - including the 2016 EU referendum and the 2017 election. Unlike most of Parliament's scrutiny committees, its members are appointed, not elected by MPs, and undergo security clearance in order to do their work - which remains classified until it is given the all clear by the security services.

This report has received the all-clear but has yet to receive Downing Street's, with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson expected to sit on the report until after the election is resolved. Dominic Grieve, the departing chair of the committee, has released a strongly-worded statement criticising the government's inaction, and several former members of the security services have called on the report to be published.

What can possibly be in it to justify the delay? Several well-placed sources are of the view that the report cannot be particularly explosive, as the security services have signed it off with relative speed, and I'm told by several familiar with its contents that the actual report is not politically transformative. Bloomberg's Kitty Donaldson reports that neither Johnson nor his chief strategist Dominic Cummings are named in the report.

The reality, too, is that a detailed report is seldom, if ever, as damaging as a running story about a cover-up, which dominates the headlines at the expense of the Conservatives' preferred election messages.

So why hasn't it been published? MPs, civil servants, and Foreign Office officials think that it is a result of a personal animus towards Dominic Grieve, held particularly strongly by Cummings but a view that is shared by several others in Downing Street.

One reason why some Conservative MPs were pleased that Cummings would not be running the campaign, but that Isaac Levido would be doing so is that they thought it meant that the election battle would be less likely to be blown off course by Cummings' tendency to cross the street to pick a fight. But just because Downing Street's militant tendency isn't in control of the election campaign doesn't mean they can't complicate its path back to office.

(Source: his Morning Call e-mail)

Does seem to better fit what we'd expect that it will be vague warnings, see the US report I linked above, rather than specifics about individuals. Not that the vague warnings about relying so heavily on financial support from some of Putin's associates, whether via business or 'think tanks' or TV work, shouldn't be a concern even when generally applied.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33051 on: November 6, 2019, 11:37:46 am »
I largely agree with what you say but that is not the Labour deal. The Labour deal says that you can then decide if the shit deal is what you want, or you can keep the best deal of all. Thats a big difference. It's the best route out at the moment because the 'anti-democratic' route the Lib-Dems have chosen, would not make it go away, it would cause ructions.

There has been many a fuck-up along the way but (as I said) at this point in time, this seems to me to be the most logical way of trying to deal with the subject.

As would Labour possibly offering a soft Brexit as their idea of a "credible" Leave option, which many Leavers would view as a Remain vs Remain/BRINO referendum.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33052 on: November 6, 2019, 11:57:26 am »
As would Labour possibly offering a soft Brexit as their idea of a "credible" Leave option, which many Leavers would view as a Remain vs Remain/BRINO referendum.
That's a fair point, I don't think there is a perfect way of going about this - we are in a right fucking mess after all. A Labour BRINO will no doubt cause ructions amongst the swivel eyes but the vast bulk of leavers have probably had enough now, not being very politically minded, I would say, and may be glad to accept a soft Brexit, as it's a Brexit and can be claimed as some form of victory. Remainers can call it a BRINO and also claim some form of victory. I don't see any perfect solutions here, but Labour's could play out quite well, and it could actually take the heat out of it for the vast majority. The second referendum should settle it for once and for all. If we vote to remain and leavers say we should have another referendum, then have one.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #33053 on: November 7, 2019, 05:52:22 pm »
Does anyone have Corbyn's comments on freedom of movement today? I had posted an article about it which suggested he'd made a huge shift to wanting it (ie staying in single market) but I deleted once I clocked it was a former S*n journo writing it.

Is the long march to 'soft' Brexit over for Labour or is it mischief making from non-commital noise? Can't see story elsewhere but news day is rather busy.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33054 on: November 7, 2019, 07:37:18 pm »
Does anyone have Corbyn's comments on freedom of movement today? I had posted an article about it which suggested he'd made a huge shift to wanting it (ie staying in single market) but I deleted once I clocked it was a former S*n journo writing it.

Is the long march to 'soft' Brexit over for Labour or is it mischief making from non-commital noise? Can't see story elsewhere but news day is rather busy.

I haven't yet found a transcipt of the comments, but I've found a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syq_xULTqxg

The freedom of movement question is asked around the 36:47 mark, and the answer is given around 42:10.

I personally don't view it as anything significant. He's still as vague about it as he was over 2 years ago IMO.

From an appearance on Marr in September 2017

AM: Okay. A large majority of your own members want free movement to continue. Do you agree with them?

JC: I understand what they’re saying. I understand the point –

AM: But do you agree with them?

JC: Well, I understand the points they’re making and I understand the importance of workers moving from one place to the other. What I also understand is that there is an abuse of free movement by some employers who have grotesquely exploited some very low paid workers. That has to stop. But, we have to recognise that in the future we’re going to need people to work in Europe and people from Europe are going to need work here. There’s going to be a lot of movement.

AM: You say that the Prime Minister’s not clear, you seem even less clear yourself as to whether most people after we leave the EU will have free access to this country or not. I understand the point about workers, but what about everybody else?

JC: What, from outside of Europe?

AM: No, inside Europe.

JC: Well inside of Europe a lot of people are going to come and work here and a lot of people in Britain are going to work there. There has to be an agreement on it and how it’s achieved. Listen, go to any Airbus office, go to any Rolls Royce place, go to any of those places, there are engineers coming from Europe on a daily basis and going back. All of that happens all the time. You can’t stop that and you shouldn’t stop that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/24091703.pdf

"There's going to be a lot of movement" is the FOM equivalent of the "single market access" soundbite. Even with a visa system, there can be a "lot of movement" but a visa system isn't FOM.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33055 on: November 7, 2019, 08:03:36 pm »
Bank split on rates as it warns Brexit deal would hit growth

The Bank of England has warned that weak global growth and trade barriers created by the government's Brexit deal will hit the UK economy.

It came as two Bank policymakers called for an immediate interest rate cut to support growth.

The Bank voted 7-2 to keep interest rates on hold at 0.75%.

The Bank said the new EU withdrawal agreement struck by Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson had reduced the likelihood of a no-deal Brexit.

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) that sets interest rates said this would end some of the uncertainty facing businesses and households.

However, policymakers added that the transition to a new trade deal would introduce new customs checks and regulatory barriers.

The MPC said its assumption of a Canada-style "deep free-trade agreement" between the UK and EU would "raise administrative costs for firms" doing business with the continent.

Mark Carney, the governor of the Bank of England, said the Brexit deal had created "the prospects for a pick-up in UK growth".

The Bank expects the annual pace of growth to rise from around 1% at the end of this year to more than 2% by the end of 2022.

Mr Carney said this would be helped by "a world that has stopped weakening and picks up a little bit".

He added: "three-quarters of that rise in growth is driven by domestic factors - the most important of which is a reduction in uncertainty driven by an orderly transition to a new Brexit arrangement."

However, the Bank's Monetary Policy Report said a weaker global economy and its new assumptions about Brexit would knock 1% off UK growth over the next three years compared with its forecast in August.

Policymakers believe the UK economy grew 0.4% in the three months to September this year, double their estimate in August, amid a recovery in the UK's dominant services sector.

However, growth in the final quarter of the year is expected to fall back to 0.2%.

Spending pledges by the government are expected to boost growth in the coming years.

The Bank also cited research that showed the current level of business investment is about 11% lower because of Brexit uncertainty.

For the first time, Bank policymakers changed their assumption about the UK's future trading relationship with the EU.

They had previously assumed an average of a range of Brexit outcomes that filter through to the economy over 15 years.

It now assumes the government will strike a free-trade agreement with Brussels that will keep goods tariffs at zero but introduce customs checks at the border.

With the transition period currently due to expire at the end of 2020, the drag on growth from new regulatory barriers will now be more immediate.

Policymakers said: "As a result, trade flows are likely to fall and some companies might exit the market."

Diverging regulations are also expected to hit a wide variety of sectors across the EU, from law to banking.

The Bank also suggested that trade deals with new partners would be years away, reflecting the fact that "it typically takes several years for new trade deals to be negotiated and implemented".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50333167

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33056 on: November 7, 2019, 08:16:54 pm »
Wetherspoon's lambasted for Brexit beermat campaign

Investors in UK pub chain JD Wetherspoon are being urged to reject the firm's annual report over its failure to clear pro-Brexit spending.

The call comes from influential shareholder group Pirc, which says the promotion broke company law.

It comes after Wetherspoon's spent nearly £95,000 on pro-Leave beermats, posters and booklets during the 2016 referendum campaign.

Pirc said such political expenditure required shareholders' backing.

Wetherspoon's chairman and founder, Tim Martin, is an outspoken supporter of Brexit and has even staged a nationwide tour to argue the case for the UK's departure from the EU.

Mr Martin owns 32% of the pub chain, with the rest mainly held by institutional investors.

Pirc quoted legal experts as saying Wetherspoon's could be in breach of the Companies Act because of its financial support for Brexit.

It called on shareholders to oppose the firm's financial statements at its next annual general meeting on 21 November.

The move would be largely symbolic but would put pressure on the company's board.

The pub chain said it had honoured its responsibilities by declaring its spending to the Electoral Commission. "We complied with this requirement," said Mr Martin.

But Pirc said: "Companies are also meant to declare annual political spending above £2,000 in their annual report, which JD Wetherspoon did not do."

It also quoted legal experts as saying that shareholder approval was necessary for activities "capable of being reasonably regarded as intended to influence voters in relation to any national or regional referendum".

Wetherspoon's disputes that interpretation, saying the law did not require it to seek investors' backing.

This is not the first time that Pirc, which describes itself as "the UK's leading independent research and advisory consultancy", has attempted to intervene in Wetherspoon's AGMs.

Last year, it recommended that Mr Martin should not be re-elected as chairman, but the attempt to oust him failed.

After Mr Martin, the biggest shareholder in Wetherspoon's is Threadneedle Asset Management, which holds just under 16%.

The BBC has approached Threadneedle for a comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50329890

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33057 on: November 7, 2019, 10:17:50 pm »
Interestingly, Corbyn has come out and backed a continuation of freedom of movement after Brexit.

Given this, you may as well stay in the single market and the customs union....

This is the logical outcome
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33058 on: November 7, 2019, 10:19:31 pm »
Interestingly, Corbyn has come out and backed a continuation of freedom of movement after Brexit.

Given this, you may as well stay in the single market and the customs union....

This is the logical outcome

Source?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #33059 on: November 8, 2019, 03:57:23 am »
I haven't yet found a transcipt of the comments, but I've found a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syq_xULTqxg

The freedom of movement question is asked around the 36:47 mark, and the answer is given around 42:10.

I personally don't view it as anything significant. He's still as vague about it as he was over 2 years ago IMO.

Thanks Shaka. Spot on, it's same as it's ever been. Thought it was odd which was why I checked who was writing the i-paper piece with the instant Tory rebuttal. Not sure the Tories wanting to portray Labour as being pro-single market has been particularly well thought through on their part.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #33060 on: November 8, 2019, 11:58:36 am »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #33061 on: November 8, 2019, 12:00:20 pm »
For something which still has to be ratified, by both sides, it's a bold approach to be promising you've no intention of honouring its details.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33062 on: November 10, 2019, 12:03:01 am »
“Brexit's great irony is that it is a political union (the UK) protesting against another political union (the EU) on the grounds that such unions rob its constituent members of sovereignty.” - Waleed Aly in the SMH.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33063 on: November 11, 2019, 11:57:04 am »
NEW: Business Minister Kwasi Kwarteng says that the PM is right that there won't be checks or declarations between NI and GB as he "knows his deal". Asked if that means the Brexit Sec is wrong, he says that the PM is correct #ridge

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1193449698029379584

Went back to the Brexit Dept about this and they said the statement given to @lewis_goodall last week stands.

That said the WA and associated docs outline the policy.

Those docs say there WILL be declarations for NI to GB trade.

DEXEU says one thing & PM says another.

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1193513025761955845

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33064 on: November 11, 2019, 01:04:42 pm »
Labour promises 'managed migration' from EU after Brexit

A Labour government would introduce “managed migration” for EU nationals in the event Brexit happens, the shadow foreign secretary, Emily Thornberry, has said as the party continues to debate what immigration policy to offer at the election.

Senior Labour figures are expected to meet on Monday to discuss the policy, although a final decision will not be made until next weekend, with some pushing for ideas including a rejection of income-based entry, and the maintenance of free movement to and from the EU.

Labour’s campaign coordinator, Andrew Gywnne, said on Sunday that Labour would seek to strike “reciprocal agreements with the EU27 that allow British citizens to enjoy some of the freedoms that they will lose as a result of Brexit”.

In an article in the Times on Monday, the senior Conservative minister Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove argued that a Jeremy Corbyn government would place pressure on public services with free movement, calling the idea “extreme, dangerous and out of touch with the British people”.

But asked about this by BBC Radio 5 live, Thornberry said that if a Labour government left the EU, the post-departure immigration policy would include controls on EU nationals, although those already in the UK would face no restrictions.

The party’s Brexit policy would be to try to swiftly renegotiate a departure deal that included customs union membership and access to the single market. This would then be put to the public in a referendum, against a remain option.

“If we leave the European Union then what we want to have is fair rules and managed migration. But those people who were here already, we will guarantee that they will be allowed to stay,” she said.

Asked how this squared with a motion passed at Labour’s conference in September seeking to “maintain and extend free movement rights” for EU citizens, Thornberry said: “I think we’ll need to wait and see what comes out of the manifesto, but I can certainly say that the thinking within the Labour party is that if we’re going to leave the European Union we will have fair rules and managed migration.

“We heard people when they said one of the reasons that they voted for Brexit was because of unrestricted levels of immigration.”

Thornberry said Labour would not need to agree to free movement as part of a deal, as it was not seeking full membership of the single market, which is based around unrestricted access for goods, capital and people.

“The deal that we want to negotiate is one where we remain in the customs union and we can be as close to the single market as we’re able to be in order to maximise the opportunities for jobs and the economy,” she said.

“Clearly, if we were in single market then we would need to abide by all of the rules, which would include freedom of movement. It is one of these things which is open to negotiation.

“What we need to be doing is we need to be negotiating something whereby we leave the European Union with the best deal that we can, so that we can put that back to the people.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/11/labour-promises-managed-migration-eu-brexit

Tell me again about Labour supporting a soft Brexit...

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33065 on: November 11, 2019, 06:46:55 pm »
With the Brexit Party announcing not to contest any Tory seats, I can for the first time actually see Brexit really happening... utterly depressing. I would lie if I said I understand every fine detail of the Uk voting system, but surely this gives a boost to Johnson's chances?

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33066 on: November 11, 2019, 07:30:55 pm »
With the Brexit Party announcing not to contest any Tory seats, I can for the first time actually see Brexit really happening... utterly depressing. I would lie if I said I understand every fine detail of the Uk voting system, but surely this gives a boost to Johnson's chances?
But don't you think that it could motivate Labour to participate in the Remain Alliance. No, me neither.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33067 on: November 11, 2019, 08:51:13 pm »
But don't you think that it could motivate Labour to participate in the Remain Alliance. No, me neither.
Actually when I saw the Guardian headline the thought did cross my mind, for the tiniest fraction of a second, that maybe now the rest would work together for Remain, but yeah... not gonna happen. As I said, utterly depressing... :(

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #33068 on: November 11, 2019, 09:28:42 pm »

I wouldn’t assume anything just yet. Let’s say the Secuity Services report into the Russians gets leaked for example, if it’s as bad as people think, it will be damaging to the Tories, but let’s imagine it’s even worse and the ties between the Russians and Tories/Brexiteers/Leave are even worse? Then all of a sudden the party of law and order, of Queen and country are looking at accusations of colluding with our foreign enemies, of talking about taking back control but are instead guilty of handing it to Putin, accused of treason of all things. All of a sudden the Tories start to look very vulnerable.

There’s plenty to play for yet.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33069 on: November 12, 2019, 01:02:03 am »
I wouldn’t assume anything just yet. Let’s say the Secuity Services report into the Russians gets leaked for example, if it’s as bad as people think, it will be damaging to the Tories, but let’s imagine it’s even worse and the ties between the Russians and Tories/Brexiteers/Leave are even worse? Then all of a sudden the party of law and order, of Queen and country are looking at accusations of colluding with our foreign enemies, of talking about taking back control but are instead guilty of handing it to Putin, accused of treason of all things. All of a sudden the Tories start to look very vulnerable.

There’s plenty to play for yet.

But will Express and Mail readers be told it's important?
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33070 on: November 12, 2019, 08:29:51 am »
I imagine Falange will need to do something pretty dramatic now because he's made himself look such a twat even by his own standards.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33071 on: November 12, 2019, 09:01:31 am »
But will Express and Mail readers be told it's important?

Colluding with the Commies? The Daily Heil will be OK with that, not sure about the rest of the red tops.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #33072 on: November 12, 2019, 01:11:10 pm »
I saw Frottage interviewed by his usual mates on the BBC this morning, he was actually questioned about beng offered a peerage. However when asked to justify standing aside for the tories, he made it clear that above all things it was to thwart a second referendum. Why was the obviious question not ask: "what do you have to fear about a second referendum?" Particularly when he was the one previously muttering about not respecting the outcome of the first one.

The fix is in, the super rich & their sheep (those factory workers in bishop auckland this morning, lifelong labour voters going over to the tories ffs) will have their Brexit. As my granny would say "hell mend them".
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #33073 on: November 12, 2019, 09:25:46 pm »
*sighs in Esperanto*

Yougov (7th/8th Novemnber)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33074 on: November 13, 2019, 06:53:39 am »
Why are we fucking doing this?
W

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33075 on: November 13, 2019, 07:00:13 am »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33076 on: November 13, 2019, 07:30:15 am »
*sighs in Esperanto*

Yougov (7th/8th Novemnber)

Thats a good poll isnt it?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33077 on: November 13, 2019, 07:31:00 am »
Why are we fucking doing this?

To break up the United Kingdom. Hopefully within the next couple of years.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #33078 on: November 13, 2019, 07:39:52 am »
Thats a good poll isnt it?

It's depressing - if you asked the same people whether they want to retain 'freedom of movement' the numbers would probably be completely different even though that's what 'freedom of movement' means.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #33079 on: November 13, 2019, 07:44:19 am »
It's depressing - if you asked the same people whether they want to retain 'freedom of movement' the numbers would probably be completely different even though that's what 'freedom of movement' means.
Profoundly depressing.