Author Topic: Tighter Moderating of the Main Board  (Read 28589 times)

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Tighter Moderating of the Main Board
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:13:44 am »
Given that this is the feedback forum I just thought that I'd feed back. A while ago, before I had ever registered, I pretty much spent all my time on the main LFC board. Now I barely visit (as a reader) and stick to the various Flagpole Corner boards.

For me, the main board is simply going round in circles. Almost every post seems to be related to the manager and/or the previous manager. Everyone seems to have already backed their man and no-one is listening to each other. If we have a positive result at the weekend there is an argument between people who say that they stand by their criticisms of the current manager and people who say that we should enjoy the win. When we have a poor result in midweek the same people are arguing. Each side will either draw on the most recent result as proof of their position or dismiss it as irrelevant compared to the wider picture.

I had originally thought of suggesting that the main board be locked entirely for 2/3 months. But I then remembered having seen a previous thread suggesting that and the reply was that this is a LFC board and as such the main 'club football' board would not be closed. Having thought about it I agree with that policy. The main board is still the first place that I go to when I see a quote from a player/when I want to know who is looking decent in the reserve team etc.

I would just suggest that the mods have a think about how to encourage constructive discussion on the board. Personally I would suggest restricting match discussion to the current Comms arrangement plus post game opinion pieces from some of the more respected and thoughtful posters (particularly those that attend the match). I would also suggest a block on all discussion of the management for a period until there is enough evidence for people to actually back up their opinions (in particular given the recent change of circumstances at the club).

I just feel that the current situation is just having the effect of entrenching everyones opinions. Every day there is a conflict which results in people clinging onto their various views even tighter. My feeling is that if there was a bit of an enforced break in all the arguments, people would maybe return a couple of months down the line with a bit more of an open mind. It's alot easier to pull back from a post you made 2 months ago than a post you made 2 days ago.

Anyway, as I said this is feedback, not a whinge or a demand. I just think it is a shame that I get so little pleasure at the moment from using the board that really should be the focus of my attention as a Liverpool supporter.     

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tighter Moderating of the Main Board
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:15:37 am »
We can only moderate what's put in front of us...

87:13

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:17:22 am »
the mods have a think about how to encourage constructive discussion on the board.

Hmmm, well I'm all out of ideas.

Drug the tea or something?

Not having a pop, just at the situation. I don't disagree at all.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:25:29 am »
the current Comms arrangement

On that subject;

The reason for that is simple. The in-game threads were a total and utter waste of bandwidth.

Do we really need a topic so that people can go "this is shite", "he's shite him", "we're fucking shite", "bring on X, cos Y is shite" etc ad nauseum ?

Apart from the pathetic nature of them, nobody can possibly follow them anyway. It's just a place where people (who should have better fucking things to do when we've a match on!) can spew out some of the most pointless drivel ever seen on the internet.

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 05:28:43 am »
He's got a point though. People have their agendas and stick to that , irrespective of what happens. It's a vicious circle of sorts. You get someone having a go at the present manager , then ya have a bloke coming in and defending him and having a go at the PREVIOUS manager , 10 more blokes coming to back up the first guy , 5 come in to vehemently defend the other view and it's all circular , Kekule's 'snake biting it's own arse' dream comes to mind.

Rewind, Play , Repeat.

But not sure what the Mods can do about it though, all things considered. If you stay behind the safety of 'guidelines' , you can keep posting crap all day and the Mods can do sweet FA about it.(Other than a corrosive custom title  :D)

I doubt it will ever change. It's the nature of the beast.
GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 09:02:45 am »

If anyone posts crap all day I will remove their ability to post.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:11:02 am »
He's got a point though. People have their agendas and stick to that , irrespective of what happens. It's a vicious circle of sorts. Rewind, Play , Repeat.

But not sure what the Mods can do about it though, all things considered. If you stay behind the safety of 'guidelines' , you can keep posting crap all day and the Mods can do sweet FA about it.(Other than a corrosive custom title  :D)

Not dissimilar to your style,no?
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:27 am »
It's all circular , Kekule's 'snake biting it's own arse' dream comes to mind.

Rewind, Play , Repeat.

Is spot on, even with regards to this discussion -  we've had this one at least twice before.

And everyone is guilty to some degree. Football in general and LFC specifically generates passionate viewpoints and the only common ground is that we all want our team to win all of the time.

The crap that we've been through has changed the dynamic of the boards

Everyone talking and nobody listening.

Positions established and troops dug in to repel all attempts to change minds.

Some have forgotten what debate means and that it implies listening and respecting other views.

Some posters (who profess to be liberal and reasonable) occasionally adopt the attitude of tin-pot dictators, the sort who would execute people for daring to express another viewpoint.

At times reading the main board is like watching a replay of a car crash that a loved one was involved in.

There are people who think that they can post anything they want including the slanderous and unfounded "facts" usually spouted in the pub after 6 pints of wifebeater!

The only solution I can see is severely restricting posting rights in the main board -  the rights being earned by the members posting style rather than content; and suspension or loss of rights being the main way the board is moderated. It's not about what you say, its about how you say it and respect for other views. (Which would imply a need to read replies to your latest wisdom- rather than lobbing a grenade in and running away)

Then all the ya - boo nonsense and abusive diatribes would be out of the main arena where they belong; and modding the main board would be a tad easier.

It might be an idea to post a thread of all the crap that the mods remove in a week to show what a task they have.
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Spectre

• Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 11:58:10 am »
Not dissimilar to your style,no?

Won't take the bait , no thanks.  :P

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »
For me, the main board is simply going round in circles. Almost every post seems to be related to the manager and/or the previous manager. Everyone seems to have already backed their man and no-one is listening to each other.
sadly, this is true.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »
If anyone posts crap all day I will remove their ability to post.
With a cigar cutter, some pliers and a blow torch?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 08:31:57 pm »
I understand the OP completely. I too am getting tired of reading new topic after new topic that are basically taking a dig at Roy or Rafa or both.

IMO this has also seen a rise after we finally got rid of the 2 muppets as unfortunately they were excellent whinging fodder.

About a week ago, in a sarcastic tone I suggested a sticky so we could whinge and "vent our hate" at Roy in one place.

Unfotunately this was IMO misunderstood as me taking yet another dig at Roy when in fact I was trying to express my disgust. Obviously being a NNLT probably didn't help either and my suggestion was summarily dropped.

If we think about it we are experiencing hate/ridicule threads against Roy/Rafa anyway so why not limiting it to one place and therefore the mods can moderate better. Mods could also rule out that anyone starting a different topic on the same lines, he/she will be banned or whatever mods decide.

This topic would be the place were both sides can express their view. And IMHO this will have the effect of having at least some people getting tired of repeating themselves after some time.

Remember that whatever we say here is public domain. What must Roy and or Rafa be thinking if by any odd chance they or a member of their families actually visit here. Can we seriously rule it out? What do we want our managers past and/or present to think about the "best supporters of the world"?

Anyway that's my 2p worth on the matter.

And if it's not yet clear enough In Roy I Trust until such day and time when NESV decide to replace him. I will however also express my criticism when I feel like it's appropriate but I will never use stuff like Hodgson or other childish jibes to be-little the man that is trying his best to give MY Liverpool the best possible chance at success.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:39 pm »
The unfortunate consequence of modern football.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »
If we think about it we are experiencing hate/ridicule threads against Roy/Rafa anyway so why not limiting it to one place and therefore the mods can moderate better. Mods could also rule out that anyone starting a different topic on the same lines, he/she will be banned or whatever mods decide.

This topic would be the place were both sides can express their view. And IMHO this will have the effect of having at least some people getting tired of repeating themselves after some time.

I really don't think one dustbin thread is worth it. As said before, we can only moderate what people write. Its really not that hard to criticise Roy without calling him a twat and whilst I agree with you most threads descend into tit for tat, we can only police them and hopefully try and weed out the shite as fast as we can.
Yep.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 09:44:59 pm »
On that subject;

The reason for that is simple. The in-game threads were a total and utter waste of bandwidth.

Do we really need a topic so that people can go "this is shite", "he's shite him", "we're fucking shite", "bring on X, cos Y is shite" etc ad nauseum ?

Apart from the pathetic nature of them, nobody can possibly follow them anyway. It's just a place where people (who should have better fucking things to do when we've a match on!) can spew out some of the most pointless drivel ever seen on the internet.

I was actually saying that I think the Comms thread are an example of what I want to see more of. Agenda-free commentary provided by level headed, experienced posters who know their stuff. Similarly the in-match threads encapsulate exactly what I think is wrong at the moment, with hundreds of people just posting the first thing that comes into their head, apparently in most cases without any thought for whether it contributes something.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »
Aye, fair enough. It was really for the benefit of anyone wondering why we'd stopped them. And after a severe outbreak of "let's turn every thread into a match thread" disease last night.

I agree with what you said. Difficult not to... :P

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 10:00:13 pm »

If you corral everything about our manager, past and present, into one thread, the thread will be unreadable and unmanageable. Effectively, you couldn't post about Rafa or Roy on here any more and I would resent being denied that all because people can't bring themselves not to type every single thing they think.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 10:03:25 pm »
Rather they think about every single thing they type.

Errrm...

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »
He's got a point though. People have their agendas and stick to that , irrespective of what happens. It's a vicious circle of sorts. You get someone having a go at the present manager , then ya have a bloke coming in and defending him and having a go at the PREVIOUS manager , 10 more blokes coming to back up the first guy , 5 come in to vehemently defend the other view and it's all circular , Kekule's 'snake biting it's own arse' dream comes to mind.

Rewind, Play , Repeat.

As Barney says that's down to people who post not moderation. Over the years I've been engaged in a lot of great discussion on here and have changed people's views on occasion and have had mine changed as well. That requires reading other people's opinions and responding to what they've actually said, not just spewing out your pre-prepared opinions.

Sadly, too many people think the internet is about having a platform to spout their opinions, rather than an opportunity to read the views of others.

This season there have been some fantastic post match threads started by Garstonite, VdM, L6Red, RoyHendo and others. Top quality opinions and well-written but it seems most would still rather get involved in tit-for-tat arguments over Hodgson and Rafa.

Do your bit. Read, think, read again, then post if you have something to contribute. Easy really. Then the mods can put their feet up and have a cup of tea and a biscuit.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Pheeny

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:27 am »

and a biscuit.
  unless Mr Hall ate them all...

Offline Spectre

• Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 05:20:46 am »
As Barney says that's down to people who post not moderation. Over the years I've been engaged in a lot of great discussion on here and have changed people's views on occasion and have had mine changed as well. That requires reading other people's opinions and responding to what they've actually said, not just spewing out your pre-prepared opinions.

Sadly, too many people think the internet is about having a platform to spout their opinions, rather than an opportunity to read the views of others.

This season there have been some fantastic post match threads started by Garstonite, VdM, L6Red, RoyHendo and others. Top quality opinions and well-written but it seems most would still rather get involved in tit-for-tat arguments over Hodgson and Rafa.

Do your bit. Read, think, read again, then post if you have something to contribute. Easy really. Then the mods can put their feet up and have a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Think this is what you mean Alan , pictorially speaking of course  ;D

;)

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 06:26:28 am »
I really don't think one dustbin thread is worth it. As said before, we can only moderate what people write. Its really not that hard to criticise Roy without calling him a twat and whilst I agree with you most threads descend into tit for tat, we can only police them and hopefully try and weed out the shite as fast as we can.

Mate by no means I intended a dustbin thread. Actually that topic could be the appreciation/criticism topic for the manager, whoever that might be down the line.

And you said it all,
we can only police them and hopefully try and weed out the shite as fast as we can.

Someone else said something on the line that maybe I am alluding at strickter censorship/taking off the freedom of speech sort of. No way I mean this, everyone can say whatever he/she likes as usual, only that by having just one mods will be more effective. Obviously this is onle my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:30:16 am by LiverpoolKopKings »

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 01:18:30 pm »
Go away spectre. Your not even posting good motivational posters or memes

Pheeny

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 01:32:48 pm »
Go away spectre. Your not even posting good motivational posters or memes
par for the course.He was much the same with his other "banned" accounts...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:47:18 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 01:41:00 pm »
What do you mean, that was his dad! (Possibly other members of family too depending on the amount of accounts ;) )

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 07:38:39 pm »

"COMMENCE OPERATION RAWK EXERCISE"

Oh boy, this is going to be messy...

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »
Good on you Mr. Rubble. Raised a smile

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »

Oh boy, this is going to be messy...

Close the main board down for the night. 

Can't believe anyone wants to discuss Liverpool after that - just booked a taxi so I can go out and get drunk, very drunk.  Good luck with it though!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:16 am »

ha ha post of the month.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 12:14:05 pm »
Anychance of being a MOD for one day.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 01:44:49 pm »
About the same chance of Poulsen being any good.

Offline Spectre

• Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:42 pm »
A cheeky tenner on Poulsen to score against Wet Spam Kesey?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 06:06:02 am »
More chance of Spectre still being here this time next year...

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 06:09:30 am »
And a good morning to you!
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 07:53:47 am »
ouch :) I must admit ive posted some shit, well lots to be honest , but i have tried to self moderate lately. a fair few times ive typed something out and just thought nah, and deleted it. still hasnt stopped me posting though im afraid .
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Spectre

• Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 08:20:54 am »
More chance of Spectre still being here this time next year...

Well , my posts seem to be very bland and non controversial these days , so I am hoping I will be here in Nov 2011 :-X  As they say , 'self moderation'. 8)

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 09:41:20 am »
Ah that explains why I haven't seen you post much Spectre, thought you got banned.

David Villa

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 09:36:45 pm »
Well , my posts seem to be very bland and non controversial these days , so I am hoping I will be here in Nov 2011 :-X  As they say , 'self moderation'. 8)

THese days, you've only been here since October apparently...

Pheeny

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 10:27:27 pm »
THese days, you've only been here since October apparently...
:lmao

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 10:32:08 pm »
Has FAT SCOUSER been banned?