Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5736418 times)

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #51440 on: December 7, 2018, 10:53:32 am »
Meh. Not illegal or performance enhancing. As long as it wasn't before a game then what they do is their own business.

Of course it would be 'that' newspaper releasing video from a private CCTV feed of a non-criminal act.

Agreed.

Wouldn't want our players to make a habit of it mind.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #51441 on: December 7, 2018, 11:31:19 am »
Any chance any of them would be punished with being dropped for the weekend?

And what of Ozil? Feels like a bad move on his part when he can't even make the team.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51442 on: December 7, 2018, 11:32:45 am »
Any chance any of them would be punished with being dropped for the weekend?

And what of Ozil? Feels like a bad move on his part when he can't even make the team.
He got his massive contract, does he really care anymore?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51443 on: December 7, 2018, 11:47:13 am »
Meh. Not illegal or performance enhancing. As long as it wasn't before a game then what they do is their own business.

Of course it would be 'that' newspaper releasing video from a private CCTV feed of a non-criminal act.

It’s legal to possess but I think I’m right in saying it’s illegal to sell or provide? So whilst the Arsenal players haven’t done anything against the law, something illegal must have occurred for them to have it?

I may have that wrong, but that’s my understanding. Not the best thing for role models or professional athletes to be doing, and for senior players to be around a 19 year old doing it makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #51444 on: December 7, 2018, 12:03:07 pm »

You wouldn't get Alex Oxide-Chamberlain doing that.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51445 on: December 7, 2018, 07:04:47 pm »
In general I hate the thought that there needs to be contact for a foul/penalty.  If the player is going to dive in recklessly is the opposing player just supposed to stand there while his ankle or leg gets busted?  And even if they do there's no guarantee that the ref will call a penalty anyway as any LFC fan can well attest to at this point. 

The rule book actually states that contact isn't required if the challenge is reckless/careless as well.

That's fair enough, Gerrard got one against Sheffield United because of that although reading the laws of the game, I don't think it falls into those categories. Either way, it worked out for us in the end :)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #51446 on: December 7, 2018, 09:22:25 pm »

:lmao   at Wenger after receiving the LMA Service to Football Award.

“Since I don’t compete anymore, I get a trophy every week. How stupid was I not to understand earlier?”

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51447 on: December 8, 2018, 08:03:34 am »
It’s legal to possess but I think I’m right in saying it’s illegal to sell or provide? So whilst the Arsenal players haven’t done anything against the law, something illegal must have occurred for them to have it?

I may have that wrong, but that’s my understanding. Not the best thing for role models or professional athletes to be doing, and for senior players to be around a 19 year old doing it makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable.

It’s not illegal to sell, it’s used in catering etc. Like a lot of things, though, it’s illegal to sell for human consumption, so you can’t setup a shop/business selling it explicitly for that purpose.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51448 on: December 8, 2018, 12:08:56 pm »
It’s not illegal to sell, it’s used in catering etc. Like a lot of things, though, it’s illegal to sell for human consumption, so you can’t setup a shop/business selling it explicitly for that purpose.
quite a few bars I’ve been to have openly sold it on premises

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51449 on: December 12, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
Should sign Koulibaly. He'll do wonders for their backline.

Though unlikely the Arsenal board would have the ambition to sanction a 60m-70m deal for him.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51450 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:48 am »

Though unlikely the Arsenal board would have the ambition to sanction a 60m-70m deal for him.

I did think that watching him yesterday, I see him going elsewhere in the premier league unfortunately.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #51451 on: December 12, 2018, 02:20:52 pm »
I did think that watching him yesterday, I see him going elsewhere in the premier league unfortunately.

Yeah think he's nailed on for City to be honest. He's a cracking defender.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51452 on: December 12, 2018, 02:42:38 pm »

I said a couple of months ago if i were in charge of the transfers at Arsenal, i'd be trying my luck for him, even if it took the majority of the transfer budget, as he could have a similar stabilizing effect on the defence like Van Dijk has had for you guys.

Unfortunately though, i'm not sure if you could even get him for that amount now, & there will be some bigger (richer) clubs who will be sniffing about him now.

Napoli drop down to the Europa League & become favourites now do we think?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:46:32 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51453 on: December 12, 2018, 03:32:36 pm »
I think Napoli is going to hold onto him for the remainder of the season....all out bidding war for him in the summer from City, United, PSG (maybe even Chelsea)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #51454 on: December 12, 2018, 03:41:14 pm »
I said a couple of months ago if i were in charge of the transfers at Arsenal, i'd be trying my luck for him, even if it took the majority of the transfer budget, as he could have a similar stabilizing effect on the defence like Van Dijk has had for you guys.

Unfortunately though, i'm not sure if you could even get him for that amount now, & there will be some bigger (richer) clubs who will be sniffing about him now.

Napoli drop down to the Europa League & become favourites now do we think?

I'd still put you and Chelsea ahead of them.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #51455 on: December 12, 2018, 03:44:43 pm »
I think Napoli is going to hold onto him for the remainder of the season....all out bidding war for him in the summer from City, United, PSG (maybe even Chelsea)
Well they won't be an Italian club if they didn't.
They will squeeze you for every penny and then some- letting blood from a stone.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:08:16 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51456 on: December 12, 2018, 04:02:41 pm »
I'd be surprised if it won't be a new world record fee for defenders with a large margin if Koulibaly is sold next summer,De Laurentiis said he rejected a €100m offer from a PL club last summer for him.

https://en.as.com/en/2018/07/24/football/1532460764_712476.html

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #51457 on: December 12, 2018, 10:27:00 pm »
I'd be surprised if it won't be a new world record fee for defenders with a large margin if Koulibaly is sold next summer,De Laurentiis said he rejected a €100m offer from a PL club last summer for him.

Would be the one the biggest margin ever if that's the case. If memory serves right, Rafa was looking at Kurt Zouma as first choice but after Chelsea swooped in with a better offer, Napoli got Koulibaly as Rafa's 'second' choice transfer target for less than 10 million euros. Some second choice he has proven to be...

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51458 on: December 16, 2018, 11:57:43 pm »
So the greatest unbeaten run in the history of sport has finally come to an end.

Probably got unlucky with the timing of this game, it’s always difficult playing against a new manager in their first home game, and they have a shit load of defensive injuries, but this has been coming. They’ve ridden their luck all season. Still yet to lead a game at half time!

Also, if you only have two fit centre backs, maybe don’t play with three at the back?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51459 on: December 17, 2018, 11:01:06 am »
So the greatest unbeaten run in the history of sport has finally come to an end.

Probably got unlucky with the timing of this game, it’s always difficult playing against a new manager in their first home game, and they have a shit load of defensive injuries, but this has been coming. They’ve ridden their luck all season. Still yet to lead a game at half time!

Also, if you only have two fit centre backs, maybe don’t play with three at the back?

Think it was 1 fit centre back in the end, and this was his first EPL game since April. Think the plan would have been probably to play Monreal & Lichsteiner either side of him, but he lost Kolasinac late on so he ended up moving Monreal back to left wing back, and moving Xhaka into the back 3. He also lost his right wing back before half time to injury.

Still, no real excuses, we all know the defence needs work, with or without injuries & suspensions. Yet another St Mary's struggle, we really don't like it down there do we?

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #51460 on: December 19, 2018, 04:08:45 am »

Spurs

That was a great win and a great derby.

:lmao

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xrzqJaA_Eko" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xrzqJaA_Eko</a>

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51461 on: December 19, 2018, 11:39:32 am »
A little too late to the party but finally ......."The Arsenal" luck runs out. They were so freckin lucky against watford, everton and newcastle (mid-table clubs) and somehow won due to their prolific strikeforce.

Also AFTV has been having lower viewership since they have gone on that run. A few more loses....and that channel will be back to norm  ;D
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51462 on: December 20, 2018, 11:08:19 am »
No real complaints over last night, thought we were pretty poor in the main, think the game turned on Mikhitaryan missing that chance & Son being a lot more ruthless & putting away the chance he got.

We have clear areas in the team we need to address in the next couple of windows, the centre back situation (defence as a whole even), & the options of whoever plays just behind the striker. Ramsey is leaving, Ozil isn't looking like he is being trusted in these games any more, & if you want to try & challenge somewhere near the top, Iwobi & Mkhitaryan just aren't good enough. 

Intrigued to see how ruthless the management team can be in the next couple of windows to get the players we need but equally trying to get rid of the one's that aren't cutting it, which wont be easy given some of their wages.

Never nice to lose to your rivals especially at home, but not too despondent. Think we can all agree Spurs are a lot more stable a side just now, & further on in their development than us, just hope we can work on & improve obvious weaknesses.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51463 on: December 20, 2018, 03:32:46 pm »
No real complaints over last night, thought we were pretty poor in the main, think the game turned on Mikhitaryan missing that chance & Son being a lot more ruthless & putting away the chance he got.

We have clear areas in the team we need to address in the next couple of windows, the centre back situation (defence as a whole even), & the options of whoever plays just behind the striker. Ramsey is leaving, Ozil isn't looking like he is being trusted in these games any more, & if you want to try & challenge somewhere near the top, Iwobi & Mkhitaryan just aren't good enough. 

Intrigued to see how ruthless the management team can be in the next couple of windows to get the players we need but equally trying to get rid of the one's that aren't cutting it, which wont be easy given some of their wages.

Never nice to lose to your rivals especially at home, but not too despondent. Think we can all agree Spurs are a lot more stable a side just now, & further on in their development than us, just hope we can work on & improve obvious weaknesses.

Biggest issue IMO was experience. When a team in transition face a trophy winning powerhouse like Spurs, there's only going to be one winner
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51464 on: December 22, 2018, 12:30:29 pm »
Back three of Sokratis, Elneny and Monreal. Wow that is a ballsy selection.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51465 on: December 22, 2018, 12:31:14 pm »
Have they all gone Christmas shopping?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51466 on: December 22, 2018, 01:51:36 pm »
Resident gooner, what is your CB situation like, will your other CB's be fit by next Saturday? I am hoping you play Xhaka in a back 3 again

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #51467 on: December 22, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »
We have to do these at Anfield, Aubameyang gives me the fucking fear like, but defensively they look as poor as they ever did under Wenger, that being said they haven't spent a lot of money in defence. They could really do with finding a Van Dijk type player, which will be hard of course if the board don't want to spend a lot of money.

As for them though, level on points with Chelsea despite them having their game in hand at 3, not too bad that.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51468 on: December 22, 2018, 02:36:55 pm »
They are a decent side pressing wise, Torreira is key in midfield and stopping Auba is imperative.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51469 on: December 22, 2018, 10:25:29 pm »
Resident gooner, what is your CB situation like, will your other CB's be fit by next Saturday? I am hoping you play Xhaka in a back 3 again

It's not great, & it's certainly not a settled situation. Sokratis is fit, Koscielny I assume was just rested today so hopefully he'll be ok although he has been really rusty, Mustafi was out today but has a chance of being fit.

Out for sure are Bellerin, Holding, the young guy Mavropanos and Monreal went off injured today.

Don't think you should worry about us too much, not a chance of us keeping a clean sheet, & the way we've been defending i honestly fear it could quite easily be 3 or 4. We shipped 2 at Man Utd & 3 at Southampton FFS.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51470 on: December 23, 2018, 12:23:13 pm »
It's not great, & it's certainly not a settled situation. Sokratis is fit, Koscielny I assume was just rested today so hopefully he'll be ok although he has been really rusty, Mustafi was out today but has a chance of being fit.

Out for sure are Bellerin, Holding, the young guy Mavropanos and Monreal went off injured today.

Don't think you should worry about us too much, not a chance of us keeping a clean sheet, & the way we've been defending i honestly fear it could quite easily be 3 or 4. We shipped 2 at Man Utd & 3 at Southampton FFS.

Almost no chance of a clean sheet.  I'm expecting something like a 3-0 or 4-1, the stability in defence just isn't there, and there's nobody coming off the bench to inject any intensity.

Bellerin, Holding, Mavro, Monreal, Mustafi are all injured, which is basically the entire first choice defence.  Mkhi, Welbeck and also injured and Ramsey looked half fit.  Losing at Anfield is no issue to a Liverpool in this type of form with an an enviable team cohesion, I'm more concerned with avoiding the draws/losses you get against other sides as a hangover from big games - along with any further injuries.  Auba and Lacazette will need to deliver a miracle and a lot might depend on whether Ozil's playing or not.   

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #51471 on: December 23, 2018, 01:19:24 pm »
I'd be shocked if Ozil plays, to be honest
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #51472 on: December 24, 2018, 05:29:12 pm »
so, Micky Ryan could be out for up to 6 weeks.

Arsenal midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan has been ruled out for up to six weeks with a broken foot.

Mkhitaryan, 29, was replaced at half-time during the League Cup quarter-final loss to Tottenham and missed the Premier League win over Burnley.

The Gunners say the Armenia international has a "fractured metatarsal in his right foot".

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51473 on: December 24, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
So I imagine either Ozil or Ramsey come in for him?

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51474 on: December 24, 2018, 06:14:45 pm »
Losing Mkhi is a big blow for their pressing. They don't have anybody else that can replicate that and was what made the game at the Emirates against us more competitive than it probably should have been.  We've had their number at Anfield for some years now, I don't see that changing this year.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #51475 on: December 24, 2018, 08:54:29 pm »

DT at 17.08 minutes in.    :lmao

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hEwixHZR29o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hEwixHZR29o</a>

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51476 on: December 24, 2018, 10:01:37 pm »
It’s clearly scripted but it’s great entertainment

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #51477 on: December 24, 2018, 10:45:36 pm »

It's a pity we have no need for a cb because we could've gone for him to deny him to rivals, would've been worth the money.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #51478 on: December 24, 2018, 10:53:33 pm »
A little too late to the party but finally ......."The Arsenal" luck runs out. They were so freckin lucky against watford, everton and newcastle (mid-table clubs) and somehow won due to their prolific strikeforce.

Also AFTV has been having lower viewership since they have gone on that run. A few more loses....and that channel will be back to norm  ;D

Looking at stats, they've had about the same 'luck' as us to be fair. Ours comes from our defence, theirs from their attack.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51479 on: December 25, 2018, 03:42:52 am »

Probably will. But De Laurentiis may have exaggerated, left out nuance or detail, or just made it up.

If anyone truly made that bid, though, I would guess it was Man United.