Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 3 vs 1 Wolves Neto ‘3 Mane ‘24 Salah ‘84 Robbo ‘89  (Read 34283 times)

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Talking about this game specifically though, it was very worrying seeing Bobby’s level yesterday.

We looked scattered all game too, I am hoping it was nerves/emotion but also this team are used to big games so again slightly unnerving as I’m not used to seeing them play like that when it really matters.
Don’t forget we were without our two most controlling players in Virgil and Fab, then Thiago went off and Salah only played half an hour.
Yes we were maybe a bit too gung ho at times but you can’t blame them, the players were nervous aswell. We won the game, we did everything we could. What a fucking privilege it has been to watch this team.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Talking about this game specifically though, it was very worrying seeing Bobby’s level yesterday.

We looked scattered all game too, I am hoping it was nerves/emotion but also this team are used to big games so again slightly unnerving as I’m not used to seeing them play like that when it really matters.

The players are almost all knackered. Some are on the edge in terms of picking up injuries. We were missing the calmness of Virgil and Fabinho. We were missing Salah.

Throw all that in on top of what would have been a nervy/emotionally draining game at the best of times and the  performance probably wasn’t a massive surprise. We rode out luck at times but as almost always we found away.

No game for almost a week now. Hopefully Virg, Fab and Salah to start next week. One last push.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
Think of it this way:
Say City had failed to come back, and lost 0-2.
Say, Wolves had scored from any one of their many counters, or been given some soft pen and scored...1-1.
We would have lost the title. On goal difference.
With it being in our own hands in the final mins and failing to score against Wolves...
Would have been infinitely more painful.

As it is, the universe reverted to the mean. City spent a billion, won against poorer teams. Meh.

Whereas us, we've definitely overachieved,  done more than anybody had any right to expect .
And now....the CL final!
Bring it on.
We could have easily lost/drawn given the chances Wolves had. Remember Hwang's 1v1?

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Doubt I will ever get over the fact Villa were 2-0 up with 15 minutes to play.

I watched in Paris and the place crashed when they went 3-2 up.

Sickening.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite

I thought we looked a bit off but i reckon it was just emotion and being distracted (only human nature to be thinking about citys game a little bit)
saturday we'll know exactly what we need to do and I expect us to be totally on it, starting like we did in the fa cup final.

i tried not to be too down yesterday - what a great season we've had in the league. feels like must win games for months and the lads have given everything. loved klopps interview right after the game, could tell he was gutted but congratulated city, didn't mention tiredness or refs or anything, proper classy as you would expect from him (no whinging like pep would have done)
can't wait for saturday, going to be a long week!

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I'm not arsed what they say or think. Just down to the fact that we came so close to doing the impossible and ended up missing out by the finest of margins, and knowing we probably won't get a chance like that again. I'd be happy if we just won a solitary Premier league or CL title during a season, every single time though.

With this squad and this manager there's every chance we'll get close to a quadruple.  We never had the squad to go full tilt at all four, we do now.  Couple of additions and we'll give it another go, of that I have no doubt.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
The players are almost all knackered. Some are on the edge in terms of picking up injuries. We were missing the calmness of Virgil and Fabinho. We were missing Salah.

Throw all that in on top of what would have been a nervy/emotionally draining game at the best of times and the  performance probably wasn’t a massive surprise. We rode out luck at times but as almost always we found away.

No game for almost a week now. Hopefully Virg, Fab and Salah to start next week. One last push.
We haven't been playing at 100% lately to manage our fitness. I expect us to go all out in the CL final. We need a thread for it already.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
Least they have 6 days to rest now.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Could not be prouder to be a Liverpool fan right now.

We've taken every competition to the last minute. That's not been done before. Not only is that incredibly impressive, but its clearly taken a toll on the players (regardless of how great this squad is). Virg, Mo, Fab, Thiago and I'd imagine some absolutely shattered players. Just finding a way to win again, and again, and again.

And it'd be impressive to compete against any side of the quality we're up against. What's even more impressive is that its not just that. Like it or not, we've seen a number of games with baffling decisions which have made the difference (to the point that PGMOL themselves felt like they had to apologise). Guardiola saying the 'rest of the country wants Liverpool to win the league' was genuinely amazing. What we've done is turn the rest of the country, even die-hard United fans, into Man City fans. We saw Newcastle and Wolves fighting like their lives depended on it against us, and not even trying when it came to playing City. They won the league at a canter last season, added Grealish, and they've just won it in the most hollow way possible. Not only have you had to cheat financially, not only have you had the FA and PL enabling your cheating, but you've also had officials and rival teams giving you a little push every step of the way. We can see how much it pains you, how much it pains your manager, that you're not us. You've had every advantage given to you, at every turn, and you still very nearly bottled it. Yesterday wasn't some miraculous comeback, something that goes down in folklore. It was essentially a kid whose parents are helping them cheat at a quiz and still nearly losing it against another kid whose parents aren't, and just winning it at the death because you knew what colour Tinky Winky was and the other kid couldn't work out the square root of 14553867 in his head. Congratulations :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend

Yeah mate - big losses in the team yesterday.

Like I said it’s not like we didn’t play well or there was anything really to complain about. Caught me a little off guard and probably a lot with me emotional state whilst watching, if I watch back I’m sure most of the half chances Wolves had in reality were nothing. But at times it felt like they’ll score any more they went forward.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
Doubt I will ever get over the fact Villa were 2-0 up with 15 minutes to play.

I watched in Paris and the place crashed when they went 3-2 up.

3 awful, easily avoidable goals too. Cash mistimes his header for the first and Sterling is allowed to cross way too easily. Olsen is awful for the second - look how close he is to his post and yet he lets a meek side foot go in. And KDB mishits the third but it trickles across to Gundogan.

It’s tragically hilarious.

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
Still got a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach thinking if yesterdays game. Think the way yesterday went combined with the fact teams just don’t usually come 2nd when racking up those sort of point totals is hard to come to terms with. Was just thinking outside of Madrid coming second on 90+ points a few times to those great Barca sides I can’t remember many or any others losing with that sort of league record.

On the flip side once today is out the way can hopefully start looking forward to the weekend and playing in the biggest game of the year.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
With this squad and this manager there's every chance we'll get close to a quadruple.  We never had the squad to go full tilt at all four, we do now.  Couple of additions and we'll give it another go, of that I have no doubt.

If it happens, it happens. Just want that league title more than anything else next season now. Us fans, the players, and the manager deserve to celebrate at least one title win with each other.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
We could have easily lost/drawn given the chances Wolves had. Remember Hwang's 1v1?

Exactly.
At one point they even had a 3 Vs 1.
I remember another 4 Vs 2 situation as well.

They kept finding joy by going long to their 2 strikers, who split wide and hugged the touchline,  behind the full backs.

Reminded me a bit of the way Man Utd beat Man City a few seasons (last?) ago under Ole.
Pace and skill on the counter.

Luckily Wolves could not finish their chances, snd we won out in the end. We did our part.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
We did all we could. Moral of the story for next season make sure its in your own hands and not having to rely on the dross in the league for favours.

One more big push on Saturday.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We did all we could. Moral of the story for next season make sure its in your own hands and not having to rely on the dross in the league for favours.

The moral of the story is that if you're up against a club allowed to cheat, who are also getting huge favours from officials, then it's close to impossible to overcome that. If we dont, that is in no way a reflection on us.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
3 awful, easily avoidable goals too. Cash mistimes his header for the first and Sterling is allowed to cross way too easily. Olsen is awful for the second - look how close he is to his post and yet he lets a meek side foot go in. And KDB mishits the third but it trickles across to Gundogan.

It’s tragically hilarious.

Its the timing of the 3 semi fortuitous goals in 6 mins that knocks one out with a punch to the guts.

Coz luck wise, spread over a whole game, we were lucky too.
Not only 2nd half, but Wolves had a chance to go 0-2 up in the 1st half too. Dendoncker (spelled?) had a great chance that he blazed over with.

It is what it is. Some things are destined.
Maybe this pain is needed, by the team , to grit their teeth and power through against the Madrid chancers?

Or, if worst comes to worst, to lose that too, and then , still, not crumble next season but come back stronger.
Who the f knows what its all for.

We are owed nothing. Maybe there is a plan, maybe there is.
Sometimes, there is. Like how we won the league the season following losing it by 11mm the last time. And the CL after being assaulted by Ramos and bicycle kicked by Bale in the previous final ...

Bring on Saturday!
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Exactly.
At one point they even had a 3 Vs 1.
I remember another 4 Vs 2 situation as well.

They kept finding joy by going long to their 2 strikers, who split wide and hugged the touchline,  behind the full backs.

Reminded me a bit of the way Man Utd beat Man City a few seasons (last?) ago under Ole.
Pace and skill on the counter.

Luckily Wolves could not finish their chances, snd we won out in the end. We did our part.

I had faith Alisson would save the Hwang 1 on 1, especially as he had so long to think about it.

I was sure they’d score in the second half when Jiminez was away down the right but just over hit the ball in (not sure who was coming in to it). The other big chance was that Dendonker one. Don’t think they had too many more, but certainly enough to keep us on our toes.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!

Moral of the story:
There is no moral.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Premier League: 2nd
FA Cup: Winner
League Cup: Winner

Champions League: Finalist TBD

Read it and weep the rest, slag us off. Fuck off and read the above you balloons.

Is the correct answer for 10 points
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I just take a bit of comfort that we were never champions in the dreaded "as it stands" graphics.

I was pretty calm yesterday, firmly believing we had around a 10% chance, but for that brief period when it was still 1-1 and they were 2 down, I was imagining the feeling of them dropping points and us not winning.

So as well as being proud of the lads, I'm also grateful that didn't happen.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I just take a bit of comfort that we were never champions in the dreaded "as it stands" graphics.

I was pretty calm yesterday, firmly believing we had around a 10% chance, but for that brief period when it was still 1-1 and they were 2 down, I was imagining the feeling of them dropping points and us not winning.

Yeah, I went from being fairly calm in the first half, even when we were down to losing my mind at the scenario of both of us not winning playing out. Doesn’t make it any less annoying that they came back but it’s somehow made it easier for me to make peace with not winning it.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
The hype of the quadruple is just distracting. We have the chance to win 3 trophies this season and that is a fantastic season. Personally I wanted the Premier league more than the others but that's just me. Doesn't mean I didn't love winning the League and FA Cup as well. And doesn't mean I will be desperately shitting myself on Saturday hoping we win the CL. And if we do win on saturday than that is one hell of a season. It's massive. Yesterday will be forgotten about.

On another note there is definitely a little buzz factor to winning the league cup I think. It's an early trophy and probably gives a massive boost to players during what is normally that winter lull in the season. I think that can help a team as the season goes on. Feels good to win things.

Anyway I think if we can get off to a good start next season and get a couple of new players in then we should be gunning for the premier league. I want us to get to 21 titles before another team sack off the glaziers and sort their sorry selves out. Also I hope the addition of Haaland takes City a bit of time to adjust but that might be wishful thinking. 
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Xink

• Main Stander
There was an awful moment at 1-1 - when it appeared Konate Pulled someone in the back in the area - Never saw the replay but it did look at first glance that a Pen was gonna be given.

Having said that Fernandiho pulled Watkins(I think it was watkins)back when the score was 0-0 and he was last man  ::) and could well have been red carded - nothing doing there either

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I'm normally pretty positive but I dont think there was any stage when I thought we'd win the title yesterday. When Villa were 2-0 up in my head it just seemed so inevitable that we wouldnt take advantage, and once they got it back to 2-2 it was inevitable they'd go on to win.

I dont buy the 'if we'd scored earlier they'd have shit the bed'. They know how good we are, they knew full well they needed to win yesterday to stop us winning it.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Still gutted this morning. Felt like the stars were aligning after Coutinho scored. On one hand you have to give City credit for clawing back 3 goals in 5 minutes, on the other hand the goals were so fucking poor. The second one in particular, which totally turned the tide, is it Buendia who lets Zinchenko waltz by him? Rodri completely open. The keeper shite.

Big shame. Feel a tiny bit flat for the weekend but I'm sure that will change over the next few days. I hope we make it number 7, the players deserve it.

Online Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan

Yeah, I think it would have hurt far more if we'd been 3-1 up with 20 minutes to go and City were 2-0 down. I would have been convinced we were going to win it and every one of their goals would have felt like a dagger to the heart. As it was, I was more focussed on us getting a second goal. So whilst yesterday hurt, it could have been a lot worse.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline WanderingRed

• Kopite
Yeah, I think it would have hurt far more if we'd been 3-1 up with 20 minutes to go and City were 2-0 down. I would have been convinced we were going to win it and every one of their goals would have felt like a dagger to the heart. As it was, I was more focussed on us getting a second goal. So whilst yesterday hurt, it could have been a lot worse.

Yeah - its a blessing, if you can call it that, we scored our second after they scored their third so it was never really ours to lose.

Anyway, only the small matter of a European Cup final to go on Saturday

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah mate - big losses in the team yesterday.

Like I said it’s not like we didn’t play well or there was anything really to complain about. Caught me a little off guard and probably a lot with me emotional state whilst watching, if I watch back I’m sure most of the half chances Wolves had in reality were nothing. But at times it felt like they’ll score any more they went forward.

It's hard to know what was my feelings influencing what I was seeing but the game defintely looked erratic. In that sense, it doesn't seem like a coincidence that we scored after city had already made it 3-2. Sort of took the 'edge' out of the atmosphere etc. I honestly don't think I've ever felt like I did when city were 2-0 down and we just didn't look like scoring [in my head at least]. It must have been a strange atmosphere to play in. At half time I paced around my garden, I honestly don't think i could have coped with being at anfield as mad as that sounds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
Such a huge difference the order of the events makes to our feelings after it.

If City had scored 3 first,  then Villa clawed back to 3-2, we would have been praising Villa for giving it a go
If City had won the 5-0, we would have been at peace, knowing it was never on.

As it is, we live on with a shock taken to our guts...

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
The moral of the story is that if you're up against a club allowed to cheat, who are also getting huge favours from officials, then it's close to impossible to overcome that. If we dont, that is in no way a reflection on us.

I don't think its a reflection on us, we did all we could. Its incredible what we did based on where we were in Jan.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Completely true. I wasn't ever invested in city's game because we weren't doing what we needed to do. I was worried sick beyond belief that we were going to draw 1-1 and city lose, I honestly don't know how I could have coped with that. I was only bothered about the city game when it was 3-1 to us, but by then it was too late.

From what I've seen/heard/read about I don't think Gerrard did a great job with subs but the end result was what we all expected.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan

Same here. I was just worried about us getting our second than their game.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
Such a huge difference the order of the events makes to our feelings after it.

If City had scored 3 first,  then Villa clawed back to 3-2, we would have been praising Villa for giving it a go
If City had won the 5-0, we would have been at peace, knowing it was never on.

As it is, we live on with a shock taken to our guts...

Spot on!

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Right, enough wallowing in what might’ve been. It’s been an incredible season and we’ve still got old big ears to try and win. Come on!

(That’s more of a slap round me own face by the way, before someone says let me wallow a bit longer ;D)

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think its a reflection on us, we did all we could. Its incredible what we did based on where we were in Jan.
That shouldn't be overlooked either. If after that 2-2 V Chelsea in January,we were offered still having a chance in the last 15 minutes of the season, we'd have jumped at it.

Instead of a procession to the title, and possibly a CL final appearance too. City were shitting it and facing up to the possibility of winning nothing right up to the last 15 minutes of the last day.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Right, enough wallowing in what might’ve been. It’s been an incredible season and we’ve still got old big ears to try and win. Come on!

(That’s more of a slap round me own face by the way, before someone says let me wallow a bit longer ;D)

Yes mate. On to Paris!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm normally pretty positive but I dont think there was any stage when I thought we'd win the title yesterday. When Villa were 2-0 up in my head it just seemed so inevitable that we wouldnt take advantage, and once they got it back to 2-2 it was inevitable they'd go on to win.

I dont buy the 'if we'd scored earlier they'd have shit the bed'. They know how good we are, they knew full well they needed to win yesterday to stop us winning it.

I do generally agree. The only thing I guess I'd wonder about was if we'd have nicked ahead around the time coutinho puts them 2-0 up is does it fuck with pep that little bit. It all goes through him and if he's just that bit more erratic do they get desperate rather than focused? Dunno. Guess you'd still never rule out a team with that quality, but it is somethign I'd wonder.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Anyone saying a word of criticism about this team are completely off their heads and truly misguided. Klopp has put together the greatest team and league runs this club has ever seen. It is because of that an the fact we have been cheated out of league titles that makes it so unbearable to swallow.

The tribal nature of the game means nobody cares as long as it’s not happening to them, in fact lots of rival teams will revel in it. I used to sneer at some of the old boys when they’d talk about falling out of love with what the game has become but after having to watch Klopp an this team have yet another title taken away by a cheating, sports washing regime it’s hard to just brush that off.

I can lose all day long and be happy that it has happened to a better team, or luckier or whatever, but by a team who has cheated their way there, it just stinks and it makes me feel like a complete fucking idiot to even bother and have to swallow one of the greatest managers in history have his trophy haul diluted by cheats.

Sure I will get over it all but it’s another year where I’ve definitely lost something as I am sure many others will have too and one thing seems certain with the Saudis and Qatar now taking the piss even more is that nothing has been or will ever be done about it. If a competition isn’t remotely fair then what’s the fucking point.