Author Topic: PL: Palace 0 vs Liverpool 2 ‘44 Milner pen ‘92 Mane  (Read 58396 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Palace 0 vs Liverpool 2 ‘44 Milner pen ‘92 Mane
« Reply #680 on: August 21, 2018, 01:25:13 pm »
Brighton won't be easy, but we're a tougher team to face than United.

We got to watch out for set-pieces, but we should dominate every other aspect. They'll be disciplined but not as disciplined as Palace.

Offline lemons

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #681 on: August 21, 2018, 01:33:02 pm »
Anyone know what's happened to the Benteke that played for Villa? Even for us he looked shot. Hope for his sake he sorts it out at some point because he seems a good lad and there is a player in there too

Offline cskay

• Boys Pen
« Reply #682 on: August 21, 2018, 01:33:39 pm »
This is a key point as well. Yes, Mo went down. But he had no choice - in no circumstances does a referee ever give a penalty for that kind of foul unless the attacker draws attention to it. Until honesty is rewarded with penalties, 'diving' of that kind will remain a necessity for strikers. As it was, going down was a better chance of scoring than shooting - Salah did exactly the right thing.

I agree. My worry is he seemed affected by the dive accusation, he was giving too much explanation to their players. Last season he stood his ground too many times when another striker would have fallen and won a fowl for the team. I would like him to win fowls for the team and not honesty badges. There's always a line that he need not cross.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: August 21, 2018, 01:38:10 pm »
Anyone know what's happened to the Benteke that played for Villa? Even for us he looked shot. Hope for his sake he sorts it out at some point because he seems a good lad and there is a player in there too

He probably looked better at Villa because he was by far the best player they had.

Offline lemons

• Main Stander
« Reply #684 on: August 21, 2018, 01:39:07 pm »
He probably looked better at Villa because he was by far the best player they had.

I just thought at Villa at times he looked like a right bully. Gave us a handful a couple of times if memory serves? Looks timid whenever I see him now.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #685 on: August 21, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »
Really can't believe how some people (not here ofc) didn't think it was a pen.

Most ex players say it is, only weirdo journos and idiots don't think it was a pen.

Was a bit worried we couldn't get the 2nd earlier but all good.

The ref thought it was a pen, and that's all that matters really.
TheMissionary
YNWA

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: August 21, 2018, 01:44:13 pm »

He was a completely different player at Villa. He had a long term injury and ever since then he's been a shadow of his former self. He bullied defenders in the league, including us and was a right nuisance.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: August 21, 2018, 01:47:44 pm »
 "I told (Salah) ‘say to the referee it was not a penalty’. - Milivojevic [Palace captain]

Hahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhahahaah

Get to fck.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: August 21, 2018, 01:49:57 pm »
The ref thought it was a pen, and that's all that matters really.

Exactly, who cares what Palace or any pundit thinks?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #689 on: August 21, 2018, 01:53:55 pm »
"I told (Salah) ‘say to the referee it was not a penalty’. - Milivojevic [Palace captain]

Get to fck.

;D
The ref would've told Salah to f* off! ;D
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: August 21, 2018, 01:53:56 pm »
I just thought at Villa at times he looked like a right bully. Gave us a handful a couple of times if memory serves? Looks timid whenever I see him now.

He used to save his best games for against us. But the bad injury he had, well he's never been the same since. Awful signing by the club, there was a reason a lot of fans were against it, especially after Carroll.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #691 on: August 21, 2018, 01:56:46 pm »

Get to fck.

But it was a penalty...

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #692 on: August 21, 2018, 01:58:22 pm »

Get to fck.

Jesus Christ, that’s absolutely pathetic - I’m actually a bit embarrassed for him. They’ve been proper Hodgson’d if that’s how they think.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: August 21, 2018, 01:58:58 pm »
He used to save his best games for against us.

Wouldn't that also be true for the other big teams as well? If he was that motivated against us, then he would be motivated against the likes of City and Spurs as well.

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #694 on: August 21, 2018, 02:02:02 pm »
That was a great game.  We've got some real thouroughbred's, don't we?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: August 21, 2018, 02:07:29 pm »

Get to fck.

I’m absolutely certain Milivojevic will tell the ref to change his mind next time Zaha falls over under minimal contact to win a penalty, and will drag young Wilfried over to the ref with him to apologise for diving.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:09:24 pm by Kekuleyule y'all! »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: August 21, 2018, 02:08:59 pm »
I’m absolutely certain Milivojevic will tell the ref to change his mind next time Zaha dives to win a penalty, and will drag young Wilfried over to the ref with him to apologise.

Cringeworthy stuff by him.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: August 21, 2018, 02:12:01 pm »
Whilst I don't buy into this line that we would have lost this game last season or 2-3 seasons ago given that we have won our last four visits to Selhurst Park, this was definitely a game that we would have had to win 2-1/3-2/4-3 in recent seasons. For the first time in a long time I now feel really calm when we are only one goal ahead at the end of matches, and I thought the players controlled things really well in the second half. On any other day, we could have been 4-0 or 5-0 up so it is good to see that when our forward line isn't firing, our defenders can be the match winners for us.

A few points that have probably been covered elsewhere:

- Gomez and Van Dijk are looking like they will quickly become our first choice centre-back partnership. They complement each other well and look to enjoy playing besides each other.
- TAA wasn't great going forward but defensively I thought he was really good against a very dangerous attacker. There was one moment where Palace tried to play in Zaha behind Gomez but Trent was one step ahead and had already dropped off to cover the through ball. His weakness last season was his reading of the play so I thought that showed a real sign him learning.
- Wijnaldum should be considered a defensive midfielder. It allows him to play the simple game that he often wants to.
- Mane is looking very, very dangerous. Doesn't feel like that long ago that people were questioning him when his form dropped last season but he was brilliant in the last few months and has picked up where he left off. Wouldn't surprise me if he outscores Salah.
- Alisson and Keita are great, obviously.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: August 21, 2018, 02:13:41 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me if he outscores Salah.

I think both will be contenders for the Golden Boot and the winner will be one of them.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: August 21, 2018, 02:36:54 pm »

Get to fck.
With this, and Hodgson's weird interpretation of events, I can only hope that the Palace players and staff are as righteous when they are awarded a "dubious" penalty.

I just hope this diving bollocks doesn't stick in the way it did with Suarez with grock defenders bending down yelling abuse at him when he's on the ground etc. we really need our players to be getting stuck into any opponents that try this with Mo. 

Not sure Mo chose to go down either, he does try to stay on his feet. When you move nimbly like he does, if someone catches you, which Sakho did, then it's hard not to fall especially if you're about to shoot.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #700 on: August 21, 2018, 02:38:04 pm »
Professional performance at a venue where we can come unstuck. The difference Alisson, VVD and Keita make to the side is striking. I think I'm my most optimistic since 1990 in terms of us winning the league. We look defensively solid allied to an industrious midfield and devastating trio up front. Everything points in the right direction.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: August 21, 2018, 02:38:39 pm »
Our fans were brilliant in the ground as well, seemed like an home game at times!

Totally. I actually thought to myself at one point the cheek of them Palace fans singing our sing when they were 1-0 down then the commentator said the noise was all from the away fans. Brilliant stuff fair play 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #702 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:37 pm »

Get to fck.

embarrassed for him. Although the fact he then said it in public after shows that he has little sense.

I hate this thing with players who've made a mistake trying to deflect, by doing what Sakho did last night in trying to convince everyone around that the player dived.  Take some sodding responsibility. It's so gutless. Wish the ref had booked him for his incessant whining.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #703 on: August 21, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »

Get to fck.

I told Milivojevic to study Newton's law of physics. - Linudden [RAWK poster]
Linudden.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: August 21, 2018, 02:47:42 pm »
A big three points. A huge statement.

This Liverpool team will not be bullied. It will not shrink from a fight. It will earn the right to have the ball. Then it will kill you. It doesn't have a soft belly, it doesn't carry any passengers. It's hungry. It's angry. It's solid. It's skilful. It's strong. It's composed. It's tough as nails. It's fucking brilliant.

A few moments/things that stood out to me:

- Alisson coming to claim the ball from a corner. Jumping, catching, making it look like the easiest thing in the world. No fuss, no wobbles, a perfect execution of a crucial goalkeeping skill.
- Keita' s turn and pass. Keita's doggedness and fight. Keita's everything.
- Salah's set such standards that a game in which he wins a penalty, assists the clinching goal, creates a clear chance for Keita, hits a great side footed volleyed effort and tracks back and fights like an absolute bastard is considered as him having an off game.
- Both full backs were, in comparison to their usual level, poor on the ball. Both full backs were relentless in their defensive performances.
- Gomez played his best game tor Liverpool.
- Van Dijk is an utter collussus.
- That is the sort of performance and result I used to see delivered by a title winning Utd or Chelsea. Strong, solid, resolute, committed, confident, ruthless.
- This the best Liverpool team and squad I've ever seen.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #705 on: August 21, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »
Must say that Townsend and Hargreaves were decent last night (they generally are) - called everything correctly - clear pen, clear red

Hargreaves looks like a guy who has genuinely followed us in the last season or two based on his opinions and looks like he has an astute footballing mind. Townsend just went along with him.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #706 on: August 21, 2018, 02:56:47 pm »
What I love in this clip is the Palace players reaction. No attempt to turn and chase, just a slump of the shoulders and a "shit, I've been done". Love it.

I was thinking along those lines last night. When they went down to ten, it crossed my mind that some teams will use that as motivation, to step up a gear and pull off a shock.
But this is a Hodgson side, and he doesn't do motivation, he doesn't demand hunger, just stick with the same plan that isn't working and hope something turns up out of the blue.
Palace are an effective side, and they will have a decent record at home, but another club with those talents available would be looking to push on a level.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: August 21, 2018, 03:01:27 pm »
I would like him to win fowls for the team
I shouldn't but I can't help it.
 :lmao
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #708 on: August 21, 2018, 03:04:03 pm »

If only Salah scored from this.

That turn was stuff of Suarez/Mane and the pass was stuff of Gerrard to Owen/Torres/Suarez. I was in disbelief when he pulled off the 1st one (the turn) and missed the 2nd one (the pass) and I found the ball suddenly controlled by Salah and didn't know what happened in between. Caught up with it in the replay though.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: August 21, 2018, 03:06:37 pm »
What I love in this clip is the Palace players reaction. No attempt to turn and chase, just a slump of the shoulders and a "shit, I've been done". Love it.

hahahaa.Imagine if Salah hit that with a first time volley.  :hally
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: August 21, 2018, 03:07:58 pm »
Brighton won't be easy, but we're a tougher team to face than United.

And far superior to Watford who have admittedly started the season well.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2018, 03:08:17 pm »
Cringeworthy stuff by him.

To be fair, he also said “I do not want VAR in this league. In this country you have the best referees in the world.

“I do not think VAR will help. They are human beings, and they make mistakes sometimes. In his opinion he (Oliver) did the right thing. As players, we have to respect the referee. We are not a team who will cry over that penalty, we just carry on.”

Shame he didn't tell his manager though

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: August 21, 2018, 03:10:07 pm »
Watching the game again and appreciating the effort our fans put together.  :scarf
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #713 on: August 21, 2018, 03:11:07 pm »
That turn was stuff of Suarez/Mane and the pass was stuff of Gerrard to Owen/Torres/Suarez.

Crazy, isn't it? I thought our fans were getting over-excited when we signed him, but he really is top-class. Brings so much to the team.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: August 21, 2018, 03:11:55 pm »
I mute the commentary now.
I wish we had a red button to mute comms and keep crowd noise.
I reckon if that was introduced, there would be a lot of out of work shit stirrers.

They used to have that when I first got Sky 20 years ago, it was a bit strange watching the footy with only crowd noise though. I used to try and listen to Radio City commentary with the Sky pics, but due to the delay with digital - it is behind analogue so the radio commentator told you what happended before you saw it, you couldn't do it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: August 21, 2018, 03:15:16 pm »
With this, and Hodgson's weird interpretation of events, I can only hope that the Palace players and staff are as righteous when they are awarded a "dubious" penalty.

I just hope this diving bollocks doesn't stick in the way it did with Suarez with grock defenders bending down yelling abuse at him when he's on the ground etc. we really need our players to be getting stuck into any opponents that try this with Mo. 

Not sure Mo chose to go down either, he does try to stay on his feet. When you move nimbly like he does, if someone catches you, which Sakho did, then it's hard not to fall especially if you're about to shoot.

I agree,we're far too nice on those situations.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #716 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:53 pm »
They used to have that when I first got Sky 20 years ago, it was a bit strange watching the footy with only crowd noise though. I used to try and listen to Radio City commentary with the Sky pics, but due to the delay with digital - it is behind analogue so the radio commentator told you what happended before you saw it, you couldn't do it.
I remember that. The red button used to have 5 Live or something as an option for a while too.

You have to think that the streaming companies that do footy should be able to give us the option of stadium sound or commentary - they already have both audio channels. I'd buy into something like NBC Gold if it had that kind of extra benefit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:47:46 pm by scalatore »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: August 21, 2018, 03:34:59 pm »
I remember that. The red button used to have 5 Live or something as an option for a while too.

You have to think that the streaming companies that do footy should be able to let us have ambient or comms options at the very least - they already have both audio channels. I'd buy into something like NBC Gold if it had that kind of extra benefit.

I wasn't sure about that, I was convinced that I could remember the 5 Live commentary, but doubted myself.

They probably dropped the idea once it clicked they could be paying commentators when nobody was listening.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #718 on: August 21, 2018, 04:11:12 pm »
I wasn't sure about that, I was convinced that I could remember the 5 Live commentary, but doubted myself.

They probably dropped the idea once it clicked they could be paying commentators when nobody was listening.

The technology exists definitely, when the BBC had f1 they had the option to listen to the radio commentary rather than the TV.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #719 on: August 21, 2018, 04:15:09 pm »
To be fair, in live action (from the TV angle) it does look like Salah went down easy.

But there was no questions with the replays.

Sakho clearly catches Salah's trailing ankle.

P.S.: Fuck off facerubbing owl.

Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!