Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker / The Mandalorian / The Clone Wars  (Read 225949 times)

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: Star Wars: Rogue One / Rebels / Episode 8
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »
The reactions from those who saw it at the LA premiere last night are insanely good.

Days, only days left

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2016, 06:27:37 pm »
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2016, 07:16:04 pm »
The embargo has ended now and the first spoiler free reviews are out the couple I have read are saying the film is OK but nothing special.

But maybe they are Trump fans.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2016, 07:23:55 pm »
The embargo has ended now and the first spoiler free reviews are out the couple I have read are saying the film is OK but nothing special.

But maybe they are Trump fans.

It's Disney, I expect the Star wars movies to be like the MCU movies going forward, competently made and enjoyable but nothing overly risky or straying too far from the formula
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2016, 08:29:23 pm »
Booked in for the imax on Friday....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2016, 09:40:58 pm »
It's Disney, I expect the Star wars movies to be like the MCU movies going forward, competently made and enjoyable but nothing overly risky or straying too far from the formula

That's my gut feeling too. I was very optimistic for this until they announced the reshoots etc Now I hope I'll enjoy dipping my toes into the universe again.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2016, 10:04:29 pm »
The reviews I've read have all said it's very good and the 3rd act is superb. The main criticism seems to be that while the characters are good, some of them are under-developed - but I suppose that's to be expected from a one-off film that seems to be a kind of Dirty Dozen style film where it's not all about two or three main characters. The spin-off films are unlikely to have the same emotional resonance as the main saga ones because you don't get to follow the same characters through three films, and because they lack the Skywalker connection. But they can still be really good films.

I think we will see a bit more deviation from the formula than with the Marvel films, partly because they're using different writers/ directors for each one, but also because some of them will be set at completely different times and with completely different characters, so they won't have to maintain exactly the same style / tone. Rogue One apparently is more like a war film than TFA, and I think the Han Solo film will be a bit more comedic. Also I think Episode 8 is going to be a bit more 'out there' than TFA.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2016, 10:45:54 pm »
I can't wait to see the film I'm thinking I will be watching a more gritty war film now based in the Star Wars universe.

Reviews really mean nothing just someones eases personal view.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2016, 10:47:20 pm »
I can't wait to see the film I'm thinking I will be watching a more gritty war film now based in the Star Wars universe.

Reviews really mean nothing just someones eases personal view.

I don't think it'll be gritty.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2016, 10:58:01 pm »
Going to Boro tomorrow then catching this at 12.05 up there.
Living the dream
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59:53 pm »

Gritty as in a Star wars film.

I remember when Empire came out some critics panned it to fuck always remember John Brosnan's Starburst review in his column Its only a movie, saying it was to down beat and what the fuck is Yoda and the silly voice and why end the film on a cliff hanger .

I have written before about how the enthusiastic preview features were readily contradicted by the head writer John Brosnan. Like all the best critics, he was not afraid to have a forthright opinion. There was a considerable back-lash to his review of EMPIRE. The letter’s page called for him to have “his brain checked” and that “Saturn is a suitable place of exile.”

In his review, he was disappointed that so much money was lavished on such a weak story-line and the construction of the story that had the climax at the beginning; “watching the film again I realised that it was like seeing the last half of one movie followed by the first half of another one.” The main focus of his ire is on The Force and its impact on the story-telling. He makes a valid point that the role of the force is elevated in EMPIRE so that it moves beyond a vague macguffin to provide plot-motivation to something that is pseudo-religious with a great level of pretentiousness.

“The Force has become a substitute for originality, fresh ideas and genuine story-telling skill. It has become a magical grab-bag into which Lucas and his writers can reach everytime they get into trouble.”

Brosnan cites the miraculous rescue of Luke at the end of EMPIRE as evidence of The Force acting as a deus ex machina.

He didn’t have a lot of time for Yoda either.

The reactionon the letters page to his review was hilarious. Charles W. Gunther from Welsh Wales  provides an analysis of the force as a version of Tao and an allusion to the films of Akira Kurosawa. The letter goes to great lengths to look for corresponding references in EMPIRE to the teachings of the book of Tao by Alan Watts. I love the correspondent’s justification for the role of Yoda:

“Yoda is also of Oriental origin I believe. In the scene in Yoda’s house the wisened gnome says “I have trained Jedi for 800 years.” This accurately coincides with the age of the legendary  P’eng Tzu, the Chinese Methusalah. This ancient, according to tradition, lived about four thousand years ago and had obtained his great age by means of herbs and certain exercises… I have no evidence that Lucas got the character Yoda from his knowledge of China, but it does seem somewhat of a coincidence.”
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:03:33 pm by Trada »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:14 pm »

From what I've read it is, at least more so than a normal SW film - it's apparently quite violent (relatively, for a 12 certificate).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:03:09 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2016, 11:18:06 pm »
From what I've read it is, at least more so than a normal SW film - it's apparently quite violent (relatively, for a 12 certificate).

Oh maybe. I think Black Hawk Down for gritty. Civil War is probably violent by SW standards.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2016, 02:41:25 am »
Seeing it tomorrow. I'm somehow more excited for this than for The Force Awakens.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2016, 11:57:01 am »
Reviews are mixed. Doesn't look to be a classic, but not a disaster either.

Pretty much knew that, once you realised whom the director was - his last few films like Godzilla, Monsters were decent affairs, but by no means classics or showcased some exceptional director. Lame choice.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2016, 02:15:46 pm »
There's spoilers popping up everywhere be careful
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »
Time for the Rogue One Spoiler thread methinks :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Star Wars: Rogue One / Rebels / Episode 8 - NO SPOILERS UNTIL I HAVE SEEN IT
« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »
Anyone spoilers me in this topic is getting banned. I have my tickets booked, not on opening day.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
Re: Star Wars: Rogue One / Rebels / Episode 8 - NO SPOILERS UNTIL I HAVE SEEN IT
« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2016, 04:35:50 pm »
It could be a movie about an ewok Eddie Howe light sabering a jedi Slavan Billic - I couldn't care god dam it it's a star wars movie. There are far to many precious gobshites on the internet to let a few stupid wannabe reviews have any impact on how pumped I am for this. Take it for what it is, a bloody new Star Wars movie.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2016, 07:05:47 pm »
Reviews are mixed.

Uh, no. Most of them are ecstatic. The film is fantastic!

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2016, 10:37:25 pm »
Reviews are mixed. Doesn't look to be a classic, but not a disaster either.

Pretty much knew that, once you realised whom the director was - his last few films like Godzilla, Monsters were decent affairs, but by no means classics or showcased some exceptional director. Lame choice.

Is there anything you don't talk shit about? :lmao All the reviews I've seen say it's amazing
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ł25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2016, 10:44:33 pm »
Is there anything you don't talk shit about? :lmao All the reviews I've seen say it's amazing

Every review I've seen says it's good, but flawed.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2016, 02:56:08 am »

Don't most reviews seem to do that on many films these days? Besides, who cares about the reviews? It's Star Wars - and it's not the Prequels.

I want to go back and see it again right now - though apparently the cinema staff want their sleep! Sleep well cinema staff - I shall return... like many of the others saying they want to see it again :)

Roll on April for the dvd release, and August for it's tv premiere (going on The Force Awakens release dates)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:02:28 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2016, 03:02:30 am »
I wasn't disappointed.  Loved it.

I'm going back in a few days to see it again but this time in 3D.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2016, 03:05:11 am »
Don't most reviews seem to do that on many films these days? Besides, who cares about the reviews? It's Star Wars - and it's not the Prequels.

I want to go back and see it again right now - though apparently the cinema staff want their sleep! Sleep well cinema staff - I shall return... like many of the others saying they want to see it again :)

I'll wait til I see it on Friday before I comment any further.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2016, 03:19:50 am »
Fuck the reviews, it's awesome lads. Enjoy

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #226 on: December 15, 2016, 04:10:32 am »
I think I enjoyed this more than The Force Awakens (which I thought was pretty good).

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 15, 2016, 06:45:58 am »
Loved the plot, better directing would have put it up there as the best star wars movie for me. And that's not to say the directing was bad.

Sounds about right.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:47:55 am by theMilkman »
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #228 on: December 15, 2016, 08:43:20 am »
I just wish in the modern world people enjoyed themselves a bit more, and could go and watch giant walking camels stomping around a beach and someone with a laser sword using a magic power without analysing the shit out of it and becoming amateur movie critics.

Enjoy yourselves a bit more you miserable shites. Can't wait to see this (without going 'well, I thought that bit of CGI wasn't quite up to scratch' etc etc)

;)
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 15, 2016, 09:39:34 am »
I just wish in the modern world people enjoyed themselves a bit more, and could go and watch giant walking camels stomping around a beach and someone with a laser sword using a magic power without analysing the shit out of it and becoming amateur movie critics.

Enjoy yourselves a bit more you miserable shites. Can't wait to see this (without going 'well, I thought that bit of CGI wasn't quite up to scratch' etc etc)

;)

Yep. We should still be able to recognise when something is really shite like the prequels were - where there are multiple flaws and hardly any good points - but when they start producing films that are really well made and true to the spirit of Star Wars, and the good points massively outweigh the flaws, we should just enjoy them, and not complain about vague concepts like 'pacing' and whether some of the CGI is 100% perfect. If the OT films were released now they'd be picked apart in the same way, but we don't worry about their flaws because they do so many other things right. It's the same with TFA and (I hope) Rogue One. These new films are going to be well made by people who love and understand Star Wars, we should just relax and enjoy them.

I think too many people these days are looking for some kind of perfect product (whether it's a film or whatever), which never arrives because they're so picky over every little detail. It's like they expect someone else to create something that matches in every way with what they would've done, but that's never going to happen.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2016, 10:47:01 am »
Not that good at all. Don't really wanna do spoiler tags since they don't work on tapatalk last I checked, but I was not impressed
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2016, 10:51:03 am »
Worth going to see in 3D? Only tend to do it for certain films.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2016, 11:55:15 am »

;)
This.
I don't get people these days.. "oooh, it is so obviously an allegory for the threatened kelp in the polluted seawaters, the juxtaposition of the..." Fuck off. Sit back, turn off brain and enjoy
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »
I had a blast. Has some pacing issues early on, which leads to some characters coming out a little underdeveloped but theyre still enjoyable. For the rest, it builds well and the last third or so was jaw droppingly great. Its a very good, massively enjoyable instalment to the Star Wars saga, but doesn't quite connect with you enough to put it up there with the likes of Empire Strikes Back.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »

Some lucky people at one of the Cineworlds got a few surprises at the midnight showing of Rogue One last night - no spoilers in it - https://twitter.com/cineworld/status/809416288359497728

Off for the 2nd viewing tonight - imax this time around :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2016, 11:24:19 pm »
I thought it was fucking brilliant myself like.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2016, 12:55:09 am »
Just got back from the cinema.

Oh wow, that was rather good.

Actually, scratch that it was fucking brilliant !!

Want to see it again - NOW !!  ;D
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2016, 01:00:39 am »
Some lucky people at one of the Cineworlds got a few surprises at the midnight showing of Rogue One last night - no spoilers in it - https://twitter.com/cineworld/status/809416288359497728

Off for the 2nd viewing tonight - imax this time around :)

Lucky fuckers - that's awesome !
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:03 am »
It was an enjoyable film, but it has its flaws. Action scenes are great though

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2016, 02:51:22 pm »
This is the prequel you were looking for......
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W