Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 280497 times)

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2013, 11:40:42 am »
Bbc4  has had a run of good music documentaries lately.
Even if your not a fan of the particular artist they seem to genuinely well made and also mercifully free of c list celebrity rent a quotes

Recent artists have been chas & dave, Elo, the kinks , and last Friday glen Campbell.

All woth watching
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2013, 11:53:13 pm »
Good shout to the poster above.

Just watched the Glen Campbell doc on bbc4.

Really interesting doc. A phenomenal guitarist and wonderful singer who certainly never had stardom handed to him on a plate.

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2013, 12:04:21 am »
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013/01/a_dozen_good_documentaries.html

Eberts favourite documentaries of last year, I'm sure a couple are worth checking out.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2013, 02:01:11 am »
Any good IRA/Troubles documentaries?

You'd be lucky, I know there's a few knocking about, but a lot of people wouldn't touch this with a shitty stick; it's such a complex situation that it's a minefield.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
Finished The House I Live in yesterday.

Good stuff and it's recommended.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2013, 05:40:12 pm »
talhotblond.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2013, 05:55:30 pm »
The King of Kong. An emotional story of 2 glorious men battling it out to become the best. Not for money. Not for recognition. Just. To be. The best.

Truly riveting.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2013, 07:01:26 pm »
The King of Kong. An emotional story of 2 glorious men battling it out to become the best. Not for money. Not for recognition. Just. To be. The best.

Truly riveting.
Good documentary this, a fun watch.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:47 pm »
The Cold War - very much in keeping with The World At War

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170896/

A win for the Liverpool country

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2013, 01:27:34 am »
Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the other documentaries, wasn't there another thread on here like this?

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=265856.0

Good documentary this, a fun watch.

+1
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:17 am »
There are a bunch of documentaries on YouTube by "Vice".

They include ones on North Korea, Northern Ireland, Drugs and so on. Well worth the look!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2013, 02:04:44 am »

Truly riveting.

I loved that one, although the main fella (Billy?) was more David Brent than Ricky Gervais.  ;D

Another one I watched a while back was "Anvil: The Story of Anvil" about a never quite made it Canadian heavy/hair metal band. Although very Spinal Tap in parts, you really felt geniune empathy for the two main band members, Lips and Robb as obscurity beckons. Recommended.
We are Liverpool!

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2013, 06:34:42 am »
Good thread, I have just ahem, acquired a brilliant file called 50 docos to see before you die. So far they've all been brilliant. Ones watched so far I'd recommend to anyone.

Super High Me - like super size me but with smoke.
Catfish - Guy meets family and girl online but turns out to be middle aged housewife / fantasist. Really makes you realise that people can be mental on the internet.
Capturing The Friedmans - This one is amazing. About a father and son that got jailed for child abuse but the family made home videos all the way through the court cases. Incredible insight into a family falling apart and the type of hysteria that runs through cases like these. Brilliant documentary.
Bowling For Columbine - watched it years ago but rewatched last week. The footage of them running around the school still gives me chills.

Scheduled in another doco night tonight so can't wait to finish work!

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2013, 06:36:11 am »
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/american-drug-war/

Oh and this one, very depressing to be honest. Just another indictment on the fact that no-one wins in a war against drugs.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2013, 08:40:01 am »

There are a bunch of documentaries on YouTube by "Vice".

They include ones on North Korea, Northern Ireland, Drugs and so on. Well worth the look!

I like Vice's travel docs but most of the stuff they churn out now is complete hipster shite. The one Asian guys hitchhike around the place is pretty funny though. Have you seen their documentary where they go to some god awful part of Russia investigating some fucked up drug which makes your skin rot? To say it put me off my tea is an understatement.

http://www.youtube.com/user/journeymanpictures - This guy does some bloody brilliant documentaries. He (or his team) covers a wide range of subjects. Often depressing but always informative.

This is decent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Days_(film) and the soundtrack is by DJ Shadow which is nice.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2013, 08:51:30 am »
Watched Impostor and Searching for Sugar Man, both excellent. Sugar Man such a beautiful story and documentary and what a guy.

Rodriguez - Cause (HD): http://youtu.be/oKFkc19T3Dk via @youtube

Incredible, how did such a talent never make it (in the USA)? Beautiful, beautiful documentary. Like Nick Drake, you feel feel humbled to listen this stuff.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:22:43 pm by Twelfth Man »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2013, 09:41:40 am »
Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

Maybe it would have been (just) a little bit better if you had told us what it was about and why you liked it.

You got the internet, looking it up isn't that hard

"This is the true story of a love triangle that takes place entirely online. Lies lead to murder in real life, as a teenage vixen (screen name 'talhotblond') lures men into her web. Revealing a shocking true crime story that shows the Internet's power to unleash our most dangerous fantasies." From IMDB... i actually read up about this story and its very shocking and interesting, i'm guessing the documentary would be fantastic, if done right.

I watched the Bob Marley Documentary a few days ago, and it's amazing the amount of influence he had, not only to future songwriters and musicians but politics in jamaica and how he attempted to change the world with 'One Love' highly recommended.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2013, 01:15:28 am »
Catfish - Guy meets family and girl online but turns out to be middle aged housewife / fantasist. Really makes you realise that people can be mental on the internet.

SPOILERS!
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:44 am »
SPOILERS!

I can spoiler it but to be fair anyone looking up the synopsis would see it. Plus they now do a series on it so didn't think it was that unknown! This is a thread about great docos and why you liked them not a current say Homeland or whatever thread that needs spoilers so people don't get their viewing ruined.

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:11 am »

I like Vice's travel docs but most of the stuff they churn out now is complete hipster shite. The one Asian guys hitchhike around the place is pretty funny though. Have you seen their documentary where they go to some god awful part of Russia investigating some fucked up drug which makes your skin rot? To say it put me off my tea is an understatement.

Haven't seen that one. Have watched loads of them and definitely agree that it is 50/50 in terms of quality and hipster shite. There is a very interesting one where they follow heroine addicts around Swansea. Worth a watch.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 03:19:54 am »

Truly riveting.

I've seen this about a dozen times now, just amazing.

Billy Mitchell is such a dick!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:19 am »
I can spoiler it but to be fair anyone looking up the synopsis would see it. Plus they now do a series on it so didn't think it was that unknown! This is a thread about great docos and why you liked them not a current say Homeland or whatever thread that needs spoilers so people don't get their viewing ruined.

Haha I was just being a c*nt mate. Just for anyone who goes and watches the trailer..... I watched the trailer and was very let down by how it all turned out.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 08:03:01 am »
Haha I was just being a c*nt mate. Just for anyone who goes and watches the trailer..... I watched the trailer and was very let down by how it all turned out.

:) apparently the tv series is ok as well, little bite sized chunks of crazy!

Watched Dark Days 2000 last night, wow. It really is incredible how people live.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10:21 am »
Posted this in the film thread too..

Saw Searching for Sugar Man last night.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sat with a feeling that it could have been made better - can't really explain it, just... better.

Anyhoots. Thought it was a treat!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:19 am »
Watched Impostor and Searching for Sugar Man, both excellent. Sugar Man such a beautiful story and documentary and what a guy.

Rodriguez - Cause (HD): http://youtu.be/oKFkc19T3Dk via @youtube

Incredible, how did such a talent never make it (in the USA)? Beautiful, beautiful documentary.

:thumbup

The Impostor might be on for tonight.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:19 am »

It's just fucking mental. The whole thing.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:14 am »
Being Liverpool  :-X
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:41 am »
Haven't seen that one. Have watched loads of them and definitely agree that it is 50/50 in terms of quality and hipster shite. There is a very interesting one where they follow heroine addicts around Swansea. Worth a watch.

Yeah I have seen that Heroin one. Pretty fucking grim really.

Most of the stuff presented by Shane Smith (co-founder) are normally great but a few of the other guys and girls just fucking irritate me.

You seen any of them by that fruitloop Hamilton Morris? I just find him hilarious. He's the one they send around the world testing mental drugs on.

This nutter -
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2013, 03:49:19 pm »
Yeah I have seen that Heroin one. Pretty fucking grim really.

Most of the stuff presented by Shane Smith (co-founder) are normally great but a few of the other guys and girls just fucking irritate me.

You seen any of them by that fruitloop Hamilton Morris? I just find him hilarious. He's the one they send around the world testing mental

Yeah! All the ones with Shane Smith are brilliant. Him and his crew really put themselves in dangerous position. I've watched a few of the guy you mentioned there. He is just constantly out of it. The one about the Westboro Baptist Church is mad too!

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »

Also excellent mate, two gems. Sugar Man for me is up there with the very best. Rodriguez just comes across as such a down to earth, almost Buddha like character. That doc left a warm glow that I'm still basking in.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2013, 12:22:18 am »
Watched the Enron one last night. What a bunch of *****! Thanks to all who recommended it but my god did it leave me feeling sick watching them screw people over. De-Regulation - what a crock!

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2013, 07:44:21 am »
[The Impostor]

It's just fucking mental. The whole thing.

It certainly was. I were fuming through most parts - especially the first half. Wondered how the flipping hell this was gonna end?

Spot on that, fucking mental.

Spoiler
weird thing to say, but I was hoping they would find the body in the end
[close]
@Yvanicuzz

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2013, 07:56:06 pm »
Just watched the trailer for 'The Imposter' on YouTube. Downloading it as I type. Looks brilliant. Hope it lives up!

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2013, 08:20:57 pm »
Just watched the trailer for 'The Imposter' on YouTube. Downloading it as I type. Looks brilliant. Hope it lives up!
T'is excellent. You won't be disappointed.

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:10 pm »
T'is excellent. You won't be disappointed.

Watched it there mate. Wow! Absolutely crazy story. The documentary was brilliantly done too.

Spoiler
Really leaves you thinking about what actually happened this kid. While at one stage I was thinking if he was somewhat rebellious and had run away before, he could still be out there. Also feel that his brother that OD'd could have been behind it. Some of the things that lead made me to consider these scenarios arose from information the 'imposter' himself spoke about, which discredits slightly. So strange that the family didn't recognize it wasn't him.

Crazy that the guy has a wife a three kids now too. Pity that its almost certain we'll never find out what really happened.
[close]

Excellent watch! Glad I came on here and it was brought to my attention. Cheers!  :wave

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:38 pm »
ESPN's 30 for 30 series has some very good ones, but I watched one last night on Netflix (US, not sure if its on the UK one) called 'Unguarded' - the story of Chris Herren, a star basketball player from a small town who ends up horribly addicted to drugs. He's cleaned up and now gives talks on his experiences and his speeches just blew me away. Thoroughly recommend it

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2013, 10:48:36 pm »

This is imo the best documentary about the war on drug's I've seen since The Last White Hope,it's a damning look at the failure of this so called war.

It's a must see film.It's available on the BBC Iplayer.I f you can't acess the Iplayer stream it from their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pzz69/Storyville_20122013_The_House_I_Live_In/

http://www.thehouseilivein.org/see-the-film/watch-the-film/

Taken from another thread, a great doucmentary indeed
YNWA

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2013, 12:35:05 am »
ESPN's 30 for 30 series has some very good ones, but I watched one last night on Netflix (US, not sure if its on the UK one) called 'Unguarded' - the story of Chris Herren, a star basketball player from a small town who ends up horribly addicted to drugs. He's cleaned up and now gives talks on his experiences and his speeches just blew me away. Thoroughly recommend it

Yeah, there's some cracking one's on the 30 for 30. The one about the Canadian amputee Terry Fox "Into the Wind" is one of the most moving, sad and inspiring sports doco's I've seen. He basically ran with the the aid of a prosthetic (he'd had a leg amputated) across Canada, the equivalent of a marathon a DAY to raise funds for cancer research:

http://voices.yahoo.com/into-wind-espn-30-30-film-shows-terry-fox-6873532.html

After all the bullshit over Lance Armstrong, this guy really was a force for good.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:36:58 am by elbow »
We are Liverpool!

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2013, 02:22:18 am »
Just came across a few crime documentaries about three individuals called 'The Memphis 3'. Fascinating story.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills
Paradise Lost 2: Revelations
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

West of Memphis

Well worth looking at. All very long but very interesting.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:10 am »
Freedom Riders    http://video.pbs.org/video/1925571160/

Brilliant documentary about the civil rights activists who put their lives on the line by travelling on buses into segregated regions in the 1960's.

Watched this from the same site,  Stonewall Uprising   http://video.pbs.org/video/1889649613

Covers events from the perspective of those involved in the Stonewall riots, a key moment in the gay civil rights movement.

Both highly recommended
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg