Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1378673 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #3920 on: August 24, 2019, 07:33:55 pm »
Salah's second? Think it was Fabinho who made that pass.

Yeah it was Fabinho

Set up Matips though, joint record I think now for consecutive assists?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3921 on: August 24, 2019, 07:36:13 pm »
Salah's second? Think it was Fabinho who made that pass.

Who give Fabinho the ball with a lovely little pass on his wrong foot?  ;)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3922 on: August 24, 2019, 07:37:35 pm »
Trent started the move with the pass to Fabinho.  I think that's what Del is on about.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #3923 on: August 24, 2019, 07:37:52 pm »
He's only 20 :lmao
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3924 on: August 24, 2019, 07:37:59 pm »
Height and distance Trent  ;D

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3925 on: August 24, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
Trent started the move with the pass to Fabinho.  I think that's what Del is on about.

Ah right. But it was also some pass from Fabinho. I noticed right after scoring, Salah turned and nodded towards Fabinho to acknowledge the pass.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #3926 on: August 24, 2019, 10:24:57 pm »
His crosses have dropped in quality lately, but the boy does try. His best is still to come.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3927 on: August 24, 2019, 10:30:37 pm »
His crosses have dropped in quality lately, but the boy does try. His best is still to come.
Crosses are statistically low scoring opportunities, he has two assists in three games from crosses so he’s doing too bad.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3928 on: August 25, 2019, 04:52:39 am »

think a combination of 2 factors. his crossing and the intended target around the box. Think our front three was a bit static today in the box hence the crosses not being that dangerous. Arsenal also set quite deep and picked up the 2nd balls easily enough. 

the only solution would be a targetman in the mould of lambert or wickham. Imagine those two and TAA crosses into the box.  ;D

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3929 on: August 25, 2019, 06:47:05 am »
Crosses are statistically low scoring opportunities, he has two assists in three games from crosses so he’s doing too bad.

Shouldn't he get an assist for the pass that led to Salah's penalty as well? That pass was pure sex.

By the way, all the nonsense comparisons with Wan-Bissaka are sounding pretty ridiculous now. That guy isn't even in the same universe as Trent.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:51:30 am by Morgana »

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3930 on: August 25, 2019, 07:21:33 am »
The best crosser in this league..... TAA.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3931 on: August 25, 2019, 09:05:42 am »
The best crosser in this league..... TAA.

Thats a valid shout although there is a debate to be had who's the better crosser between him and Robbo. Thankfully, they're both ours.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3932 on: August 26, 2019, 12:59:19 pm »
Jurgen Klopp gives reason for Trent Alexander-Arnold's dip in form before Arsenal win

Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold delivered for Joel Matip's opener and then helped Mohamed Salah score two

Jurgen Klopp says that defending isn’t like riding a bike as it takes time to get back into a rhythm.

The Liverpool boss was pleased with an emphatic victory over Arsenal , and the contribution of Trent Alexander-Arnold, who has been criticised for his defensive work of late.

The full-back delivered for Joel Matip’s opening goal, and then helped Mo Salah score two.

Klopp said: “Look it’s absolutely no problem to be criticised - that’s part of the deal.

“We are really clear in what we ask each other for, and yes Trent had to improve - and he did.

“So it’s not a criticism in the sense that ‘you lost it, you will never be a good defender again’, it’s just that they all had an exceptional last season, and then had to deal with it in a three week holiday and then they came back and we started new and again.”

Liverpool had 20 clean sheets in the Premier League last season, but have had none so far in their five matches of the campaign. But Klopp says patience is required.

“It’s not like riding a bike, you lose it - you lose what you had before... as a team,” he said.

“It’s not like Trent’s crosses will not be good. If they are one game, they will be good the next. But as a team you can lose it, defending as a unit and stuff like that.

“You have to come back and start again, and we are doing that, but against Arsenal it was really good, really aggressive.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jurgen-klopp-gives-reason-trent-19004469

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3933 on: August 26, 2019, 04:51:47 pm »

Alexander-Arnold’s assist tally from last season shows that: 12. Three times as many as any Liverpool midfielder, twice as many as Firmino, 50 percent more than Mohamed Salah — and, OK, only one more than Andy Robertson on the opposite flank. Last season, in a 5-0 thrashing of Watford, Liverpool’s full backs got all five assists between them, Alexander-Arnold 3-2 Robertson. But Robertson feels like a typical modern full back in style, simply a very good one — when he goes forward, he’s a crosser. Alexander-Arnold is a genuine creator. He whips in crosses, of course, but he also plays lofted through-balls, fires quick passes into the feet of attackers, switches the play regularly to great effect, and can also cut inside and use his left foot.

There may be occasions when Joe Gomez is more suited to Liverpool’s right-back position for certain matches, but Alexander-Arnold’s contribution to Liverpool’s attacking play shouldn’t be underestimated — this isn’t a mere overlapping right back, but a genuine playmaker.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1162465/2019/08/26/alexander-arnold-reinventing-english-definition-of-full-back/

Really interesting article on how TAA is redefining the RB position from Michael Cox.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3934 on: August 26, 2019, 05:51:38 pm »
Yeah, I liked the last line in that article-- Alexander-Arnold’s contribution to Liverpool’s attacking play shouldn’t be underestimated — this isn’t a mere overlapping right back, but a genuine playmaker.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3935 on: August 26, 2019, 05:54:46 pm »
Yeah, I liked the last line in that article-- Alexander-Arnold’s contribution to Liverpool’s attacking play shouldn’t be underestimated — this isn’t a mere overlapping right back, but a genuine playmaker.

I mean is anyone underestimating it? It’s been quite clear he, and Robertson, have been instrumental in our attacking play.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3936 on: August 26, 2019, 06:14:17 pm »
I mean is anyone underestimating it? It’s been quite clear he, and Robertson, have been instrumental in our attacking play.

I think his point was that Robertson is playing like a very good modern fb, but TAA has changed the position to a creative one instead, creating like a 10 would traditionally instead of just a FB. Both are instrumental, but TAA is playing different to any FB at the moment.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3937 on: August 26, 2019, 06:27:30 pm »
I think his point was that Robertson is playing like a very good modern fb, but TAA has changed the position to a creative one instead, creating like a 10 would traditionally instead of just a FB. Both are instrumental, but TAA is playing different to any FB at the moment.

Michael Cox is a good writer but has a horrible habit of overblowing his tactical opinions into absolutes. TAA is just a great player playing the game simply and effectively - which ironically is one of the most difficult things to do. Almost everything TAA does on the ball just makes sense, there is no reinventing going on. Both he and Robertson are excellent fullbacks with good creative skills.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3938 on: August 26, 2019, 06:31:57 pm »

I was definitely underestimating it. But this article set me straight.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #3939 on: August 26, 2019, 07:31:04 pm »
Michael Cox is a good writer but has a horrible habit of overblowing his tactical opinions into absolutes. TAA is just a great player playing the game simply and effectively - which ironically is one of the most difficult things to do. Almost everything TAA does on the ball just makes sense, there is no reinventing going on. Both he and Robertson are excellent fullbacks with good creative skills.

Still, thinking back to the beggining of last season; Phil gone, Ox out for the year, Lallana not match fit, Keita taking time adjusting to the league, Salah being more heavily marked after his breakout season. People were genuinely concerned about who's going to create besides Firmino?

It might just be my own ignorance, but I find it absolutely remarkable that Klopp shrugged and said "Our fullbacks will carry us the entire season." And they did just that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:39:07 pm by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3940 on: August 26, 2019, 08:34:02 pm »

Don't think it's inaccurate, though, to maintain that Trent tucks into the half space far more often than Robertson does.

Very creative players, but in slightly different parts of the pitch, I think...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3941 on: August 26, 2019, 08:48:58 pm »
I've been saying that since he first came in. Damn. I should have pitched it as an article! ;)
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3942 on: August 26, 2019, 08:56:04 pm »
I don't think you're giving TAA enough credit, there. I mean there's a reason that people talk about TAA moving into midfield (not that I agree with that), where people would never dream about suggesting that with Robertson. I agree that both play simply and effectively, but the vast difference is that if you show Robertson inside then he's reluctant to take up the offer and not amazingly effective when he does so (though he does seem to have worked on it). Trent, on the other hand, can play a one-two, can thread a pass, can chip one, can cross with his left - that makes him a massively more difficult prospect to play against because there's nowhere you can funnel him to that's relatively safe. The only vulnerability he had was being pressed but even that doesn't seem to be the case as much anymore, though I'd have to ask babayagu for a proper update on that.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3943 on: August 26, 2019, 08:58:45 pm »

Our very own Dani Alves, and that's the highest praise you can give him. He would be wasted in midfield.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3944 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:24 pm »
I don't think you're giving TAA enough credit, there. I mean there's a reason that people talk about TAA moving into midfield (not that I agree with that), where people would never dream about suggesting that with Robertson. I agree that both play simply and effectively, but the vast difference is that if you show Robertson inside then he's reluctant to take up the offer and not amazingly effective when he does so (though he does seem to have worked on it). Trent, on the other hand, can play a one-two, can thread a pass, can chip one, can cross with his left - that makes him a massively more difficult prospect to play against because there's nowhere you can funnel him to that's relatively safe. The only vulnerability he had was being pressed but even that doesn't seem to be the case as much anymore, though I'd have to ask babayagu for a proper update on that.

I think Michael Cox has a good point that TAA also has a good and effective delivery on his left foot too, which he shows with a couple of examples, and teams cant really defend him like an overlapping FB. I think his point is a bit valid, TAA does play slightly different to Robbo, and he is playing in spaces that most other RB aren't. PoP point is true, he does seem to make correct decisions in the attacking phase, and keeps it simple. Still it feels a bit different to other RBs I think.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3945 on: August 26, 2019, 10:24:31 pm »
Our very own Dani Alves, and that's the highest praise you can give him. He would be wasted in midfield.

Hmmmm, not so sure. Some people (like Gary Lineker) argue that he's being wasted at RB. And I think they've got a point. Trent is such a creative player and so integral to our attacking play that it's just a matter of time before he becomes a DM. It's just that at the moment we don't have anyone who can play RB to a high enough standard (unless Hoever can get there in a matter of months), so he's gonna have to partner Robbo for the foreseeable future.

I don't even want to entertain the idea of Joe Gomez at RB. Every time Trent gets rested and Joe plays there I get heart palpitations. Joe is a better LB than a RB.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3946 on: August 27, 2019, 12:30:58 am »
Hmmmm, not so sure. Some people (like Gary Lineker) argue that he's being wasted at RB. And I think they've got a point. Trent is such a creative player and so integral to our attacking play that it's just a matter of time before he becomes a DM. It's just that at the moment we don't have anyone who can play RB to a high enough standard (unless Hoever can get there in a matter of months), so he's gonna have to partner Robbo for the foreseeable future.

I don't even want to entertain the idea of Joe Gomez at RB. Every time Trent gets rested and Joe plays there I get heart palpitations. Joe is a better LB than a RB.

No one will ever get to the standard of Trent at RB because he's a unique value proposition there, in the same way Firmino is a unique value proposition as a 10/9.

This is a boring, hackneyed argument, and it's been going since Stevie argued that he was wasted on the right, in the same season he got 23 goals and a similar number of assists playing on the right.

Trent laid on 15 assists last season from RB, and 2 more this season already. He and Robbo are so good that they are our key creators in the team, from fullback. This is a tactical choice the team makes.

Given all of the above, can you really argue that it's somehow "only a matter of time before he becomes a DM"?

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #3947 on: August 27, 2019, 12:37:42 am »
https://theathletic.co.uk/1162465/2019/08/26/alexander-arnold-reinventing-english-definition-of-full-back/

Really interesting article on how TAA is redefining the RB position from Michael Cox.

please make a pdf of the article... Don't have access..

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3948 on: August 27, 2019, 02:43:50 am »

I gave him the highest praise you can give a player, HBHR mate ;D

Do you know how difficult it is to get players to play simply and sensibly? :D

I've been doing this job for two decades and I haven't figured it out, and I don't know anyone who has ;D ;D ;D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3949 on: August 27, 2019, 02:45:45 am »
Don't think it's inaccurate, though, to maintain that Trent tucks into the half space far more often than Robertson does.

Very creative players, but in slightly different parts of the pitch, I think...

True that. But you know what I'm saying - his game insight is top class, and insight is simply making the right decision at the right time, involving the right players, for the right purpose. And as I'm sure you agree, that's the bloody hardest thing to teach players ;D

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3950 on: August 27, 2019, 04:38:18 am »

Paywalled - anyone have a copy and paste?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3951 on: August 27, 2019, 06:14:40 am »
I gave him the highest praise you can give a player, HBHR mate ;D

I've been doing this job for two decades and I haven't figured it out, and I don't know anyone who has ;D ;D ;D
Hahaha, fair enough, PoP! ;D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3952 on: August 27, 2019, 06:15:55 am »
Hahaha, fair enough, PoP! ;D

He's the Johann Cruyff of fullbacks right now. I don't think there's any higher praise than that.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3953 on: August 27, 2019, 08:38:42 am »
Paywalled - anyone have a copy and paste?
Gianluca Vialli once suggested the right back is usually the worst player on any team: any better going forward and he’d be a winger, any better defensively and he’d be a centre back. 
Jamie Carragher has a similar theory. “No-one grows up wanting to be a full back,” he said a few years ago, a statement that was only around 50 percent a dig at Gary Neville.
Jose Mourinho once explained why he loved Paulo Ferreira, his right back with both Porto and Chelsea. “He’s a player who will never be man of the match, but will always score seven out of 10,” Mourinho explained. That’s the right back, Mr Seven out of 10 — surely the least glamorous position in the side.
The right back doesn’t even have the exotic feel of the left back, who tends to be a more creative player forced into defence at some point in his development because of a shortage of left-footers . You associate a left back with constant overlapping runs and devilish crosses, whereas the right back is steadier, more consistent. Under-rated. An unsung hero. 
Things have changed slightly, of course, and the evolution of the full back from steady defender to a flying attacking weapon has been well-documented over the past decade or so. But full backs tend to be judged in three simple ways. (a) How well do they keep their position and get the better of opposition wingers. (b) How effectively do they offer a crossing option on the overlap? (c) How do they cope with the physical demands of those two duties, charging up and down the pitch constantly?
The full back has generally avoided being assessed in terms of possession play and creativity. Every other position has developed in that respect. From sweeper-keepers to false 9s, everyone else has become a possession-focused improvement on their former selves. But when was the last time you heard a full back praised primarily because they had good vision, were comfortable on the ball, and could pick out a great pass? For Dani Alves, those compliments followed after mention of his stamina. For Philipp Lahm, as soon as his possession play became truly appreciated, he was often deployed in midfield. Besides, neither were ever their side’s most creative outlet — both played alongside midfields surrounded by elegant playmakers.
Trent Alexander-Arnold, however, feels different to anything that has come before him. This Liverpool side doesn’t have a playmaker; indeed, they improved significantly after the departure of Philippe Coutinho, and Jurgen Klopp didn’t want him back. Fabinho is a steady holding player, decent enough in possession but no Andrea Pirlo. Jordan Henderson, Georginio Wijnaldum and James Milner are predominantly workers, and Naby Keita hasn’t quite settled. Adam Lallana and Xherdan Shaqiri aren’t regulars, while Roberto Firmino is increasingly a true nine rather than a false nine. Liverpool’s chief creator is their right back. And it’s difficult to think of another top-level club side — certainly in the modern era — who can say that.
Alexander-Arnold’s assist tally from last season shows that: 12. Three times as many as any Liverpool midfielder, twice as many as Firmino, 50 percent more than Mohamed Salah — and, OK, only one more than Andy Robertson on the opposite flank. Last season, in a 5-0 thrashing of Watford, Liverpool’s full backs got all five assists between them, Alexander-Arnold 3-2 Robertson. But Robertson feels like a typical modern full back in style, simply a very good one — when he goes forward, he’s a crosser. Alexander-Arnold is a genuine creator. He whips in crosses, of course, but he also plays lofted through-balls, fires quick passes into the feet of attackers, switches the play regularly to great effect, and can also cut inside and use his left foot.
With all that in his armoury, then, it was something of a surprise that Arsenal manager Unai Emery decided to leave him unmarked for the trip to Anfield on Saturday, using a diamond midfield. It was a calculated gamble: let Liverpool’s full backs push on, leave two men upfront, and quickly break into the channels. There were moments of promise: Nicolas Pepe caused Virgil van Dijk problems, and wasted the game’s most presentable chance at 0-0.
But Liverpool knew how to play the situation perfectly. From the outset they constantly switched play, repeatedly working Arsenal’s diamond laterally across the pitch. Sometimes these switches came from the midfielders, and Henderson’s dramatic volleyed pass out to Robertson in the ninth minute was so extravagant that it almost felt like Liverpool were making fun of Arsenal’s system.
[https://cdn]
But sometimes it was just the full backs switching play between themselves, like Cafu and Roberto Carlos used to for Brazil.
This is Liverpool’s speciality — it was a major feature of their narrow 2-1 loss to Manchester City back in January, a game that essentially cost them the title, but one that Liverpool were hugely unfortunate not to win. Their goal in that game, headed by Firmino, featured three full-back-to-full-back switches of play.
At the weekend, the inevitable happened shortly before half-time — Alexander-Arnold assist, Liverpool goal, headed in by Joel Matip. The only surprise was that it came from a set piece, a right-wing corner, rather than from open play.
Arsenal’s system wasn’t at fault for that one. Perhaps it was at fault, though, for Liverpool’s second. When Sadio Mane received the ball on the left, the space afforded to Alexander-Arnold was incredible — Mane couldn’t resist switching play, below.
After receiving the ball and dribbling forward, Alexander-Arnold fired it into Firmino’s feet. The Brazilian’s typical deft touch for Salah tempted David Luiz to pull him back — penalty, and 2-0.
Alexander-Arnold also played a part in the third goal, also scored by Salah. Receiving the ball in the right-back position under pressure from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, he retreated slightly, but then rather than turning onto his right foot and hammering the ball up the touchline, as you may expect from a right back, he turned inside and played a left-footed pass to Fabinho. In turn, the Brazilian’s ball into Salah set him streaking away.
Also of interest was Alexander-Arnold’s positioning when Arsenal were trying to play the ball out from the back. Here, he effectively pushed forward to form a front four with Salah, Firmino and Mane, which left Jordan Henderson some 30 yards behind him, covering the right-back zone. Here, Salah closes down Arsenal’s left-sided centre-back David Luiz, while Alexander-Arnold takes care of left back Monreal.
This is partly, of course, because of Arsenal’s narrow diamond — Alexander-Arnold didn’t have a winger to shut down. But it was reminiscent of the way Pep Guardiola used to deploy Dani Alves when Barcelona’s pressing was at its most extreme: as a right-sided forward who retreated into a back four when required, rather than a mere overlapping full back. Alexander-Arnold’s aggressive pressing also forced Dani Ceballos into the most remarkably misplaced pass you’ll witness all season — effectively crossing the ball into his own box for a Mane chance.
There were also other variations. Henderson, at his best since being restored to his box-to-box role in spring, sometimes overlaps Alexander-Arnold to allow him inside into the centre.
Again, the right back’s ability to use his left foot makes this particularly worthwhile — he had a decent shot with his left foot here, which was blocked, and he also showed this ability on multiple occasions last season.
One such occasion came against Arsenal at the Emirates in a 1-1 draw, for a goal disallowed due to a Mane offside. But which other right back could check inside and float a perfect ball over the opposition defence with his left foot?
The flip side, of course, is that Alexander-Arnold is far from perfect defensively. He endured several difficult matches last season — away at Napoli in the Champions League in particular, but also against lowly Premier League sides like Southampton and Cardiff. His positioning was suspect on the opening day of the season against Norwich, and there were moments here when Arsenal failed to take advantage of the space in behind him.
But those weaknesses are inevitable for a 20-year-old who was — as with most full backs — converted to that position from a central midfielder in his late teenage years. There may be occasions when Joe Gomez is more suited to Liverpool’s right-back position for certain matches, but Alexander-Arnold’s contribution to Liverpool’s attacking play shouldn’t be underestimated — this isn’t a mere overlapping right back, but a genuine playmaker.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3954 on: August 27, 2019, 12:46:19 pm »
True that. But you know what I'm saying - his game insight is top class, and insight is simply making the right decision at the right time, involving the right players, for the right purpose. And as I'm sure you agree, that's the bloody hardest thing to teach players ;D

Agreed on both counts. To be clear, I wasn't arguing that because Trent does play more in the half space than Robertson that he should play as a midfielder. I'm pretty sure it's by design. We've seen this from heat maps.

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3955 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:37 am »
There may be occasions when Joe Gomez is more suited to Liverpool’s right-back position for certain matches, but Alexander-Arnold’s contribution to Liverpool’s attacking play shouldn’t be underestimated — this isn’t a mere overlapping right back, but a genuine playmaker.
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the copy-paste, mate. Great article. I agree with everything the writer says except the part about Joe being 'more suited', etc. (assuming he means, bench Trent for Joe). If Trent is your main playmaker, you don't bench him against a tough opponent. In fact  you don't bench him at all unless it's an easy opponent and you can afford to rest him (like when we're playing relegation fodder). Yes, by all means play the 3 centre backs, but keep your playmakers (both Robbo and Trent) on the pitch for Burnley away.

It might not be necessary though. I haven't been that impressed with Burnley yet this season and I think we will beat them easily this week. Where we will definitely need Gomez, VVD and Matip on the pitch at the same time is when we play Man City, both home and away. They're the team that's gonna give us hell this season. Not Burnley. 

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3956 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:18 am »
Decent article on trents importance but some of it is retro fitting the result to what happened with our fullbacks in the arsenal game - we created almost nothing through them in the first half when Arsenal were executing their plan. Some near misses but considering how much they had of the ball it wasn’t great
Trent is awesome ... but stuffing the box and letting our fullbacks cross against a set defence is actually a decent approach vs us though maybe not to the extreme arsenal took it. 
Our attacking scheme is pretty mad against a set defence at the moment with that midfield line up - there’s close to zero progressive passing into the front 3 it’s interesting

He did a fascinating interview which is linked in the vids thread explaining how klopp told them to change the approach. Will he interesting to see how well adapt because I think you’ll see something similar from Burnley at the weekend
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:23:12 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3957 on: August 28, 2019, 01:23:27 pm »
Decent article on trents importance but some of it is retro fitting the result to what happened with our fullbacks in the arsenal game - we created almost nothing through them in the first half when Arsenal were executing their plan. Some near misses but considering how much they had of the ball it wasn’t great
Trent is awesome ... but stuffing the box and letting our fullbacks cross against a set defence is actually a decent approach vs us though maybe not to the extreme arsenal took it. 
Our attacking scheme is pretty mad against a set defence at the moment with that midfield line up - there’s close to zero progressive passing into the front 3 it’s interesting

He did a fascinating interview which is linked in the vids thread explaining how klopp told them to change the approach. Will he interesting to see how well adapt because I think you’ll see something similar from Burnley at the weekend
I thought the same during the first half, but then so did Klopp apparently going by what TAA said afterwards. And the second goal came from one of the things he talked about, Henderson moving wide, Alexander-Arnold getting the ball quickly to Firmino who laid it on to Salah with a nice first time pass.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3958 on: August 28, 2019, 01:25:10 pm »
Despite that, we still created the best chance we had in the game aside from the goals, within the first 60 seconds of the game, would have been 1-0 up, had Bobby been a tad quicker and slid in to get on the end of the low cross from Robertson.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3959 on: August 28, 2019, 02:10:55 pm »
Agreed on both counts. To be clear, I wasn't arguing that because Trent does play more in the half space than Robertson that he should play as a midfielder. I'm pretty sure it's by design. We've seen this from heat maps.

And also from Dortmund under Klopp. Piszcek did the same thing under Klopp, while Schmelzer kept the width on the opposite side and was more aware of his defensive duties. It's definitely a Klopp "trope" to have a fullback attack wide and also in the half spaces in the final phase.