Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310684 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1840 on: April 18, 2017, 09:30:29 pm »
I love every image that came out of that mission. And who would have thought Pluto would have an atmosphere? (Yes, I'm sure plenty of people thought that, because they know more than my 0% about astrogeology.) I hope that someday, not too too long from now, people look back at how tremendously difficult and monumental an achievement New Horizons was, and they laugh in the same way we laugh at big, blocky old cell phones and room-filling computers.

You'll be waiting a long time I suspect.  Voyager is 40 years old this year and nobody is laughing at that yet.  ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1841 on: May 12, 2017, 07:18:00 am »
Water on Mars?  Seems almost certain these days.

This rock must be sedimentary

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1842 on: May 12, 2017, 10:54:19 am »

Never mind sedimentary, that looks like it's been ploughed  ;D
Legacy fan

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: May 17, 2017, 01:36:33 pm »

Interesting.  Would an image like this poke a fatal hole in the theories that suppose that Mars has never had a sustained water environment or water cycle, but rather sporadic bursts of isolated activity?

For the latter to be correct this formation would have to be on top of an old geyser system; you surely don't get layered formations like that in a short space of time?  I mean I've seen layers like that at the mouth of the River Alt, but it's still silt, not rock.

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1844 on: May 26, 2017, 10:17:50 pm »
ISS due over at 22.19 here in the SW of the UK in a 6 minute transit.
Should be a grand view with tonights magnificently clear sky so get your binoculars or telescopes at the ready.
Over again at 23.56 for 6 minutes too...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1845 on: May 29, 2017, 01:12:38 am »
ISS due over at 22.19 here in the SW of the UK in a 6 minute transit.
Should be a grand view with tonights magnificently clear sky so get your binoculars or telescopes at the ready.
Over again at 23.56 for 6 minutes too...

Love seeing that going over. Got some new 7x50s to go with my 17x70s - so you can get a couple of really different views.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1846 on: June 1, 2017, 09:30:57 am »

NASA announced plans to launch the Parker Solar Probe into the sun's atmosphere for the first time in the summer of 2018. University of Chicago astrophysicist Dr. Eugene Parker with a model of the vessel.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1847 on: June 1, 2017, 10:36:03 pm »
NASA announced plans to launch the Parker Solar Probe into the sun's atmosphere for the first time in the summer of 2018. University of Chicago astrophysicist Dr. Eugene Parker with a model of the vessel.

I hope they reach it at night when it cooler.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1848 on: June 1, 2017, 10:41:06 pm »
:lmao

Good one
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1849 on: June 2, 2017, 12:58:07 am »
There was a wonderful documentary Wednesday night on BBC4, How Russia won the Space Race.

Sputnik, Laika, Ham, great stuff, especially for those of us who remember those days as children.

Many interesting snippets including much I wasn't aware of, for example, the spacesuits used on the ISS are evolved from the Russian design.

I'd recommend watching it.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1850 on: June 2, 2017, 04:28:48 pm »
There was a wonderful documentary Wednesday night on BBC4, How Russia won the Space Race.

Sputnik, Laika, Ham, great stuff, especially for those of us who remember those days as children.

Many interesting snippets including much I wasn't aware of, for example, the spacesuits used on the ISS are evolved from the Russian design.

I'd recommend watching it.

I will have to check that out BBC4 have some great shows.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1851 on: June 3, 2017, 08:47:04 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Solar_Probe

Intended to pass less than 4 million miles above the Sun's surface.  :mindblown

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1852 on: June 3, 2017, 09:50:15 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Solar_Probe

Intended to pass less than 4 million miles above the Sun's surface.  :mindblown

It's truly fantastic stuff.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1853 on: June 23, 2017, 08:04:23 am »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1854 on: June 24, 2017, 03:33:00 pm »
I hope they reach it at night when it cooler.

:lmao

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1856 on: July 1, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
I love this kind of stuff.  When you realise that the night sky is really just the shadow cast by the entire universe.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GoW8Tf7hTGA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GoW8Tf7hTGA</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1857 on: July 4, 2017, 04:47:44 pm »
Mission to Saturn's Enceladus moon detects organic compounds

Scientists have urged caution after finding organic compounds around Saturn's moon Enceladus.

Enceladus was discovered by the British astronomer William Herschel in 1789 using what was then the largest telescope in the world, measuring 1.2m across.

Almost 230 years later, the Cassini spacecraft conducted another fly-past of its southern pole, travelling through one of the mysterious cryovolcanic plumes which had been discovered to be erupting from the moon.

Cassini sampled the water-rich plumes, suspected to originate from a vast liquid ocean beneath the surface of Enceladus, and discovered organic compounds - molecules which contain carbon and are essential to all known life.

These compounds, including the molecule methanol, have now been detected in a much more massive quantity than previously expected, using the IRAM radio telescope, which is 30 metres across, in the Spanish Sierra Nevada.

Scientists, including some from Imperial College London, are presenting their research into these compounds on 4 July at the UK's National Astronomy Meeting which is being hosted by the University of Hull.

They have speculated that the organic compounds found in the water-rich plumes are formed as part of a complex chemical journey which the material vented from the moon undergoes after it is spewed into space.

Dr Emily Drabek-Maunder said: "Recent discoveries that icy moons in our outer solar system could host oceans of liquid water and ingredients for life have sparked exciting possibilities for their habitability.

"But in this case, our findings suggest that methanol is being created by further chemical reactions once the plume is ejected into space, making it unlikely it is an indication for life on Enceladus."

Instead, the scientists believe that the enormous amount of methanol may have been produced by a cloud of gas expelled by Enceladus and trapped by Saturn's magnetic field.

One team member, Dr Dave Clements from the Department of Physics at Imperial, stressed that "observations aren't always straightforward".

"To interpret our results, we needed the wealth of information Cassini gave us about Enceladus's environment.

"This study suggests a degree of caution needs to be taken when reporting on the presence of molecules that could be interpreted as evidence for life."

Later this year, Cassini will make its final plunge towards Saturn's surface - ending the journey which it began when launched in 1997.

The orbiter will be written-off by crashing through Saturn's atmosphere rather than risk damaging one of the planet's moons which may yet be explored for signs of life.

Remote observations from telescopes based on Earth and in space will remain the only method for exploring Saturn and its potentially life-harbouring moons for now,

"This finding shows that detections of molecules at Enceladus are possible using ground-based facilities," said Dr Drabek-Maunder.

http://news.sky.com/story/mission-to-saturns-enceladus-moon-detects-organic-compounds-10936670
« Last Edit: July 4, 2017, 04:49:27 pm by Trada »

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1858 on: July 6, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »
If catalogue objects were spirit animals, NGC 7212 would be mine.

Stunning.  And the lack of data on it is astonishing in itself.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1859 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:46 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hrPJBsitzl4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hrPJBsitzl4</a>

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1860 on: July 23, 2017, 12:40:07 pm »
Donald Trump isn't the only unstable orange ball of gas out there...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BDB4ZF8jX9Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BDB4ZF8jX9Q</a>

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1861 on: August 5, 2017, 02:48:38 pm »
In New Horizons related news, it turns out its next target, MU69, might actually be a small binary world.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20170803

EDIT: the latest discoveries come from observing the object during star occultations.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20170719

I mean seriously, how the hell do you manage to capture the shadow of an object 20 miles across passing in front of a star from 4 fecking billion miles away??  :o

« Last Edit: August 5, 2017, 03:00:47 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #1862 on: August 21, 2017, 06:41:13 pm »
Where's the total eclipse thread?
And in short, I was afraid

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: August 21, 2017, 10:57:35 pm »
Perhaps the greatest photobomb of all time

Can you spot the ISS?
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1864 on: August 27, 2017, 07:56:41 pm »
One of Blizzard's art directors has had a play with the NASA data from Mars.

(His twitter)
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1865 on: September 6, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »
The eye of hurricane Irma stands out clearly on full-disk satellite imagery.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1866 on: September 7, 2017, 08:14:01 pm »
The eye of hurricane Irma stands out clearly on full-disk satellite imagery.

The Great Red Spot puts Irma into perspective.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1867 on: September 8, 2017, 12:50:40 pm »
I love every image that came out of that mission. And who would have thought Pluto would have an atmosphere? (Yes, I'm sure plenty of people thought that, because they know more than my 0% about astrogeology.) I hope that someday, not too too long from now, people look back at how tremendously difficult and monumental an achievement New Horizons was, and they laugh in the same way we laugh at big, blocky old cell phones and room-filling computers.

You'd have to remarkably uninformed and know very little about technology to laugh at old technology.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1868 on: September 8, 2017, 05:48:47 pm »
You'd have to remarkably uninformed and know very little about technology to laugh at old technology.

As I said at the time, Voyager has just turned 40 and it's still delivering critically important science data.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #1869 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:19 am »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1870 on: September 14, 2017, 09:17:50 am »
Hopefully of interest to someone...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/cassini_huygens_saturn

You just know when someone is asked how long they've worked on something and they answer in Saturn years that it's going to be a decent article  ;D

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1871 on: September 14, 2017, 07:18:02 pm »
Hopefully of interest to someone...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/cassini_huygens_saturn

Whole thing really is amazing!

Just had a look through the pictures on BBC website now it's crashed into Saturn - some of the images are mind blowing
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:57:57 pm by Mr Mingebag Squid »
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1872 on: September 15, 2017, 06:39:38 pm »
http://vis.sciencemag.org/space-graveyard/

Neil deGrasse Tyson‏Verified account @neiltyson

Cassini gave us Saturn, but also gave us Earth — as only deep space could reveal: Small. Frail. Lonely. Steeped  in darkness.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1873 on: September 15, 2017, 07:04:04 pm »
http://vis.sciencemag.org/space-graveyard/

Neil deGrasse Tyson‏Verified account @neiltyson

Cassini gave us Saturn, but also gave us Earth — as only deep space could reveal: Small. Frail. Lonely. Steeped  in darkness.

Pale Blue Dot 2.0

My uncle designed the electronics for the Cassini cameras  8)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1875 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:37 pm »
Enceladus sets behind Saturn as Cassini begins its final plunge.

A final ringscape

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1876 on: October 13, 2017, 12:02:41 pm »
Duck, Tiangong-1 is due to re-enter soon .... https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/13/tiangong-1-chinese-space-station-will-crash-to-earth-within-months

...Although much of the craft is expected to burn up in the atmosphere, McDowell says some parts might still weigh up to 100kg when they crash into the Earth’s surface.

The chance that anyone will be harmed by the debris is considered remote but China told the United Nations “Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space” in May that it would carefully monitor the craft’s descent and inform the United Nations when it begins its final plunge.

Predicting where it is going to come down would be impossible even in the days ahead of its landing, McDowell said.

“You really can’t steer these things,” he said in 2016. “Even a couple of days before it re-enters we probably won’t know better than six or seven hours, plus or minus, when it’s going to come down. Not knowing when it’s going to come down translates as not knowing where it’s going to come down.”

McDowell said a slight change in atmospheric conditions could nudge the landing site “from one continent to the next”.

There have been many uncontrolled re-entries of larger spacecraft and none have ever been reported to have caused injuries to people.

For some reason, I'm not completely sure I find that last sentence particularly reassuring.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1877 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:04 pm »

There have been many uncontrolled re-entries of larger spacecraft and none have ever been reported to have caused injuries to people.

Here's hoping this one lands on the White House.  Delicious irony.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1878 on: October 15, 2017, 08:52:51 am »

SpaceX Launch and re land successful!!!!

:shocked

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zqE-ultsWt0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zqE-ultsWt0</a>

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: October 15, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »
It's the ideal we certainly should be aiming for.  If only we could truly unite behind the challenge of space as well as we can harness the fear that supports our armed forces.

Popcorn's Art