Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1009366 times)

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Darwin Núñez !!!
« Reply #7960 on: May 16, 2023, 05:19:15 pm »
Will never make it at Liverpool and is a complete waste of a squad spot.

(I'm only posting this so that when he next has a stormer Tepid has a bit more material to quote. Tepid, for narrative purposes edit this part out of the quote)
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7961 on: May 16, 2023, 06:33:59 pm »
If Nunez had missed some of the chances Salah and Gakpo missed last night (or Jota did vs West Ham which almost cost us) we'd never be hearing the end of it.  Or had a game where he did exactly one decent attacking thing all night and spent the majority of it losing the ball and giving it away cheaply in his own half like Diaz did last night. 

Yet curiously, the people who come on here after every slight miss to criticise him and say we should be selling etc are completely silent.

But Salah also got three assists, Gakpo should have had one and his interplay was good, the biggest issue for me with Nunez isn't his finishing but his overall play, his passing, his touch, pressing ,dribbling and all the other things apart from his finishing.

The reason why such a light is shone on his finishing is because the fact he doesn't do the other things as well as our other forwards, so now we need him to be scoring goals at a better rate to justify him starting in front of the others.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #7962 on: May 16, 2023, 06:51:13 pm »
His durability is a concern, at least for a Klopp team. He's missed games this season with hamstring, toe, shoulder and leg injuries this season. All minor things but all separate injuries that caused him to miss games. This in a season where he's not pressing the way we want him to.

I've no doubts to his quality, it's whether he's the right fit for us and our system. Gakpo clearly is, Bobby obviously was.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7963 on: May 16, 2023, 07:36:29 pm »
Still love the lad & I still think he'll be a massive success for us. He's another player that's had to endure playing in a team beset by injuries & low confidence.

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #7964 on: May 19, 2023, 02:13:43 pm »
Out of tomorrow's game  :(
Henderson has been very good in patches and if he had the confidence of Shelvey he would be some player.
Shame how it ended, hell of a ride though.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #7965 on: May 19, 2023, 02:17:28 pm »
Minor toe injury =  out for the season.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7966 on: May 22, 2023, 02:00:49 am »
Minor toe injury =  out for the season.

He missed what - 10 PL games? Not great.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7967 on: May 22, 2023, 02:11:09 am »
He missed what - 10 PL games? Not great.

7 games so far, probably miss the last game of the season so 8 in total.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7968 on: May 22, 2023, 02:24:22 am »
Ah ok - that's ok I guess.

This was not a great season for him - but hopefully an acclimatizing one.

I still have some expectation that he will tear it up next year - but no idea where he will play.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7969 on: May 22, 2023, 02:28:06 am »
Ah ok - that's ok I guess.

This was not a great season for him - but hopefully an acclimatizing one.

I still have some expectation that he will tear it up next year - but no idea where he will play.

I'm hoping he follows the Suarez model.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7970 on: May 22, 2023, 02:59:03 am »
His durability is a concern, at least for a Klopp team. He's missed games this season with hamstring, toe, shoulder and leg injuries this season. All minor things but all separate injuries that caused him to miss games. This in a season where he's not pressing the way we want him to.

I've no doubts to his quality, it's whether he's the right fit for us and our system. Gakpo clearly is, Bobby obviously was.

Many will disagree but I think he is more fit for our system than Diaz but then again we don't know what system Klopp planning to use next season as this season is a mess.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7971 on: May 23, 2023, 05:29:18 pm »
Back in training.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7972 on: June 2, 2023, 04:05:23 pm »
This is a big season for him in his career - needs to produce and stay fit. Obviously hoping he proves a lot of people wrong (myself included) otherwise could see him up top for wolves in a season or two.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7973 on: June 2, 2023, 04:30:30 pm »
If he plays left wing he's second to Diaz..if he plays central he's second to Gakpo. That's just the reality.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7974 on: June 2, 2023, 04:42:14 pm »
If he plays left wing he's second to Diaz..if he plays central he's second to Gakpo. That's just the reality.

This is it basically. He’s going to become an impact sub at best in reality.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #7975 on: June 2, 2023, 04:49:14 pm »

Or Gakpo plays the Lallana role as an AM and Nunez plays as a 9.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7976 on: June 2, 2023, 05:07:21 pm »
Or Gakpo plays the Lallana role as an AM and Nunez plays as a 9.

I'd like to see this to be honest. Think Gakpo could excel in that role and also allows Nunez to create havoc leading the line.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7977 on: June 2, 2023, 07:04:03 pm »

I don't think it'll be as straightforward as it was with Bobby/Mo/Mane where we had 3 nailed on starters for the forward positions, I think there'll be a fair amount of rotation dependent on who we're playing and fitness. Salah is still the only one nailed on to start every game, but Nunez, Gakpo, Diaz and Jota are all very different players with different skillsets, and will all be relied upon when the circumstances suit them.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7978 on: June 3, 2023, 10:24:03 am »
This is it basically. He’s going to become an impact sub at best in reality.

I mean, there's just no way of knowing how he'll develop next season. We don't even know how we'll play, what formation we'll use, or which players we'll have added. He's got every chance of being more than an "impact sub at best".

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7979 on: June 3, 2023, 10:32:55 am »
Will never make it at Liverpool and is a complete waste of a squad spot.

(I'm only posting this so that when he next has a stormer Tepid has a bit more material to quote. Tepid, for narrative purposes edit this part out of the quote)
Noted.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7980 on: June 3, 2023, 10:57:38 am »

It's not his fault our midfield is so average. Our midfield can't create anything, our playmaker is our right back yet they can't defend too so we needed forwards who can help us defend better. He is a player who can score more than Diaz, Jota and Gakpo but our midfield simply not good enough to play with a traditional striker. A club with our budget can't spend this kind of money on a backup player.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7981 on: June 4, 2023, 11:09:31 am »
I mean, there's just no way of knowing how he'll develop next season. We don't even know how we'll play, what formation we'll use, or which players we'll have added. He's got every chance of being more than an "impact sub at best".

Diaz Gakpo Salah will be the front 3.

Jota as the main sub for that front 3 and then Nunez if we are really chasing a goal.

He ends up at Wolves or back to Portugal the season after.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7982 on: June 4, 2023, 11:30:56 am »

Jota as the main sub for that front 3 and then Nunez if we are really chasing a goal.

He ends up at Wolves or back to Portugal the season after.

I am in the middle of your opinion and those who think he will be great. Ultimately I think its going to come down to how many goals he bangs in because even when he was scoring 30 goals, the Benfica fans said his all round game was average. Maybe its unlikely that element of his game will improve significantly.

Issue is to score all those goals he is going to need games and thats where it will be interesting. Europa could help with that.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7983 on: June 4, 2023, 11:46:15 am »

There isn’t enough shot production / goal threat in this front 3

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7984 on: June 4, 2023, 12:14:09 pm »

Mo is great and Gakpo really did score a fair few. Plus he comes with bags of pressing. I guess it’s Diaz where the question lies.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7985 on: June 4, 2023, 12:20:57 pm »
I am in the middle of your opinion and those who think he will be great. Ultimately I think its going to come down to how many goals he bangs in because even when he was scoring 30 goals, the Benfica fans said his all round game was average. Maybe its unlikely that element of his game will improve significantly.

Issue is to score all those goals he is going to need games and thats where it will be interesting. Europa could help with that.

The only way I see him as a starter is if we change formation and play:-

Nunez   

Diaz       Gakpo      Salah

And I just can’t see that being the case.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7986 on: June 4, 2023, 12:22:51 pm »
I like him, reckon he could be good

Would rather get midfield in that sets him up better

Another season I reckon

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #7987 on: June 4, 2023, 12:24:09 pm »

You are also reliant on an aging Salah still retaining the pace to break the lines and get in behind. Without that pace, you just end up playing in front of teams. For me the Mane, Bobby and Mo front three worked so well because both Mane and Mo had electric pace.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7988 on: June 4, 2023, 12:25:18 pm »
You are also reliant on an aging Salah still retaining the pace to break the lines and get in behind. Without that pace, you just end up playing in front of teams. For me the Mane, Bobby and Mo front three worked so well because both Mane and Mo had electric pace.

Yeah agree

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7989 on: June 4, 2023, 04:56:55 pm »

I think its also worth noting that both Mane and Mo could and can beat a man and go in behind. Diaz seems to prefer to have the ball played into feet and works between the lines in front of defenders more often than not.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #7990 on: June 4, 2023, 09:40:02 pm »
The only way I see him as a starter is if we change formation and play:-

Nunez   

Diaz       Gakpo      Salah

And I just can’t see that being the case.

No way.

He’ll play against teams that leave space. And destroy them if he gets the finishing sorted.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7991 on: June 4, 2023, 09:49:08 pm »
Not really sure what the plan is for him. Gakpo is making that CF position his own in rotation with Jota who can also play on the left. Diaz and Salah first choices. Didn't Darwin play on the right side of a forward pairing at Benfica? Maybe his long term future might be on the right, but it seems a long shot. Realistically next season he's third choice on the left and third choice through the middle.

I don't doubt his abilities as a footballer. Any team who plays with a recognised striker would love to have him, and his return of 15 goals was impressive in a struggling side. However, it's hard not to feel like this was a mess of a signing. Maybe things will improve when he's got a better grasp of the language, with a settled midfield and with time and I hope that does happen. However, a year on it does seem crazy that we spent so much on a player, accepting that we'd need to significantly alter his game (and he's 24 soon), then 6 months later signing someone else to play a different role in his position.

I know the obvious answer is that we'd rotate, but surely when we dropped £65m on him we weren't planning to just save him for teams that leave space. Also, switching Gakpo with Nunez changes the dynamic pretty significantly.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2023, 09:51:16 pm by Clint Eastwood »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7992 on: June 5, 2023, 08:44:37 am »
No way.

He’ll play against teams that leave space. And destroy them if he gets the finishing sorted.
That probably gives him about eight league games next season  ;D

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7993 on: June 5, 2023, 09:02:05 am »
I think its also worth noting that both Mane and Mo could and can beat a man and go in behind. Diaz seems to prefer to have the ball played into feet and works between the lines in front of defenders more often than not.

Just to add to jack, Al and the above. The conclusion of all this is it’s currently far from clear that our front 5 is title challenging quality. Which is an issue given it’s the only part of the team that has been properly (in terms of money and numbers) reshaped. Hopefully fixing the midfield sorts it though.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7994 on: June 5, 2023, 09:23:38 am »
If he does enough on his end, and this involves learning the language, understanding the formations, working on his finishing and off-ball play - I’m pretty sure Klopp will find a place for him and give him enough minutes. But he really needs to work hard in the next six months.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7995 on: June 5, 2023, 09:47:16 am »
I like him and am surprised he didn't get more minutes. Klopp seems to prefer Gakpo though so im not sure if he'll get the minutes to prove himself.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7996 on: June 5, 2023, 11:36:22 am »
For me the most disappointing thing about his season was how it tapered off towards the end. After the brace against United I thought he looked set to end the season strongly but I think he only scored against Leeds after that and got less and less minutes.

There was times when we looked totally grim earlier in the season and I thought Nunez was a bright spark. On the whole I've liked what I've seen - It's been a poor season all round for much of the squad and I think if we can find a top level again Nunez will only benefit from that. As someone else says a stronger midfield can't hurt next season, but it does look like Diaz/Gakpo/Salah could form a main attacking trio with Nunez and Jota lying in waiting. That's hardly a bad thing, like.

Hoping Nunez can have a really good pre-season now, bang a few in, look likely and make his case known for next season. He's got a lot more to give us I feel and should at the least 'get minutes' next season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7997 on: June 5, 2023, 12:25:50 pm »
For me the most disappointing thing about his season was how it tapered off towards the end. After the brace against United I thought he looked set to end the season strongly but I think he only scored against Leeds after that and got less and less minutes.

There was times when we looked totally grim earlier in the season and I thought Nunez was a bright spark. On the whole I've liked what I've seen - It's been a poor season all round for much of the squad and I think if we can find a top level again Nunez will only benefit from that. As someone else says a stronger midfield can't hurt next season, but it does look like Diaz/Gakpo/Salah could form a main attacking trio with Nunez and Jota lying in waiting. That's hardly a bad thing, like.

Hoping Nunez can have a really good pre-season now, bang a few in, look likely and make his case known for next season. He's got a lot more to give us I feel and should at the least 'get minutes' next season.
He seemed to have a few niggly injuries during the run-in, culminating in him missing the last three games with a toe injury.  Also a few of his cameo appearances weren't great - I'm thinking particularly of the West Ham game where they were pushing for an equaliser and he kept giving the ball away.

I definitely agree that he was a bright spark earlier in the season, particularly in the period prior to the World Cup.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7998 on: June 5, 2023, 12:33:46 pm »
It would be sad if Jota was just a bench player, he came on strong after his injury and believe he should be starting, until it seems he isn't up for it.

Nunez for me would be warming the bench at the start of the season am afraid to say. Hope he has a belter of a season though and proves me wrong.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."