Author Topic: Search Engine Optimisation  (Read 16017 times)

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
Search Engine Optimisation
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:12:18 pm »
Any SEO experts in here fancy sharing tips and hints?

I have a few websites which I am trying to optimise, have done the obvious to one (an IT Services website) but it only has a PR1 of one so I guess it need more content and inbound links...

Anyone have any interest in this?  :D
Justice - 22 years overdue.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Search Engine Optimisation
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:15:07 pm »
I'm having to learn it for work - it's amazing the amount of stuff that's taken into account. I'm certainly no expert so can't help you at this stage but I'll keep a close eye on the thread if you don't mind!

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:20:58 pm »
I was hoping there would be a few people like yourself who have an interest in it and we can share what seems to work and what doesn't.

There are two website I am testing at the moment (with 2 more to be optimised in the next month or two) - one is reasonably well optimised on the site itself (i.e. title tags, H1 tags, meta description, keywords, etc) and would seem to need more content and one-way links to boost it further (although for many search terms it currently has a page 1 ranking).

Another is poorly optimised and I have just added around 200 one-way links to see if it goes from nowhere in Google to appearing somewhere.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 04:18:35 pm »
Didn't expect to see a thread on SEO on RAWK.

What has weight in SEO?

Exact Match Domain (.com, .net or .org)
PR
Backlinks (quality, relevancy)
Domain Age
On-Page Optimisation

I've currently got around 5 sites that are all exact match domains for extremely low competition keywords and they all have at least 3,000 exact monthly searches on Google.

At the moment, I'm experimenting with social bookmarks as they're cheap to buy and an easy way to get high PR backlinks.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 07:54:06 am »
Didn't expect to see a thread on SEO on RAWK.

What has weight in SEO?

Exact Match Domain (.com, .net or .org)
PR
Backlinks (quality, relevancy)
Domain Age
On-Page Optimisation

I've currently got around 5 sites that are all exact match domains for extremely low competition keywords and they all have at least 3,000 exact monthly searches on Google.

At the moment, I'm experimenting with social bookmarks as they're cheap to buy and an easy way to get high PR backlinks.

How much of a bearing will an exact match domain have? For example if you have an established website with a generic domain, would it be worth introducing a more keyword specific variant or would the fact that their is already an established domain outweigh the benefit?

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »
How much of a bearing will an exact match domain have? For example if you have an established website with a generic domain, would it be worth introducing a more keyword specific variant or would the fact that their is already an established domain outweigh the benefit?

Exact match domain will outweigh any generic domain, difficulty will depend on the competition but an exact match domain has a huge amount of weight in SEO, should not be underestimated.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:30 pm »
Exact match domain will outweigh any generic domain, difficulty will depend on the competition but an exact match domain has a huge amount of weight in SEO, should not be underestimated.

So just to clarify, let's say a company (bloggs) has had a website for 8 years (www.bloggs.co.uk).  Now if bloggs are accountants in Liverpool, if they registered www.bloggsaccountantsliverpool.co.uk (or accountantsliverpool.co.uk) then you would expect their SERP ranking for the term "accountants in Liverpool" to be benefited as a result.  This assumes that the new domain is the main one and the bloggs.co.uk domain is repointed at domain level (and not mirrored).

Or is that wishful thinking?

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 04:12:04 pm »
Well that wouldn't be an exact match domain. An exact match domain is the EXACT match of the keyword e.g. accountantsinliverpool.com is the exact match for the keyword "accountants in Liverpool"

I just did some quick keyword research on the keyword "accountants in Liverpool" and there is a .org exact match domain available but it only gets 170 exact searches per month however the conversion rate is likely to be very high as it's such a specific search.

Ranking number 1 in Google for this keyword using accountantsinliverpool.org would be a piece of piss. I could do that for under £50 easily, I bet you're getting paid a fair bit more to do it though?

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 04:32:31 pm »
Well that wouldn't be an exact match domain. An exact match domain is the EXACT match of the keyword e.g. accountantsinliverpool.com is the exact match for the keyword "accountants in Liverpool"

I just did some quick keyword research on the keyword "accountants in Liverpool" and there is a .org exact match domain available but it only gets 170 exact searches per month however the conversion rate is likely to be very high as it's such a specific search.

Ranking number 1 in Google for this keyword using accountantsinliverpool.org would be a piece of piss. I could do that for under £50 easily, I bet you're getting paid a fair bit more to do it though?

I am not working for an accountants in Liverpool but similar things.  Will send you a PM in the next few days mate as I might be able to put some work your way...

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 04:39:05 pm »
I am not working for an accountants in Liverpool but similar things.  Will send you a PM in the next few days mate as I might be able to put some work your way...

Okay, sounds good.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:43:59 am »
I have a few fellow optimisers in the house :D

but im waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tired to reply anything useful right now..

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »
Just got an exact match domain to rank SERP 25 in Google for a keyword with 14,800 exact monthly searches, only 15 backlinks.

Social bookmarks are simply win.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:18:06 am »
download and read this...  "niche domination - no fluff notes"

or pm me, and i can email it to all..

also, its very important to have a social media element embedded in your site if you can facilitate one,
The trick is to have a page flushed with new content on an ongoing basis so that google indexes you more and more and deems your site to be of important and not stale/static.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:21:39 am by conman »

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 06:54:05 pm »
Conman, I'd ignore ebooks like that, get yourself to Warrior Forum and you'll get an amazing insight into internet marketing.

Ebooks like that are great but they normally have extremely limited knowledge or are just an upsell.

What I'm doing is creating lots of minisites, with the aim of each earning at least $10 per day and then getting 100+ sites like that.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »
Conman, I'd ignore ebooks like that, get yourself to Warrior Forum and you'll get an amazing insight into internet marketing.

Ebooks like that are great but they normally have extremely limited knowledge or are just an upsell.

What I'm doing is creating lots of minisites, with the aim of each earning at least $10 per day and then getting 100+ sites like that.
I know where you are coming from there..

but i've got these ebooks from my buddy who works in google, This is one of those he studied to get the job.
This particular ebook is from a thread from forum "TheVault.bz", its like taking the best of from the level 3 thread and compacting it into an easy to read manual... I have lots and lots of ebooks from lecturers, books and forum topics... but really, people need to sign up to people teams like SeoMoz and a few more to really get the latest as its an ever changing intustry.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 07:52:21 pm »
That's the beauty of the multiple mini-sites system. It doesn't need heavy, intense SEO rank for 1st place in Google. Normally under 100 backlinks will do the trick so while I have to keep up to date with SEO changes, it doesn't require as intense reading or an expensive subscription to SeoMoz.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 1, 2010, 09:57:13 am »
That's the beauty of the multiple mini-sites system. It doesn't need heavy, intense SEO rank for 1st place in Google. Normally under 100 backlinks will do the trick so while I have to keep up to date with SEO changes, it doesn't require as intense reading or an expensive subscription to SeoMoz.

Is this where you are basically swapping links between a number of site (i.e. site 1 links to site 2, site 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc?)

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #17 on: December 1, 2010, 01:30:03 pm »
Is this where you are basically swapping links between a number of site (i.e. site 1 links to site 2, site 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc?)

That's a link wheel and no.

With the mini-sites plan, I'm making loads of sites but trying to group them into niches so for example I have 10 pregnancy related sites, 10 weight loss sites so I can inter-link them all and spread the SEO juice of my own sites. Similiar to a link wheel but Google doesn't mind interlinking similair sites however they hate links wheels (they're great for SEO but it's considered black hat).

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 1, 2010, 02:51:04 pm »
That's a link wheel and no.

With the mini-sites plan, I'm making loads of sites but trying to group them into niches so for example I have 10 pregnancy related sites, 10 weight loss sites so I can inter-link them all and spread the SEO juice of my own sites. Similiar to a link wheel but Google doesn't mind interlinking similair sites however they hate links wheels (they're great for SEO but it's considered black hat).

What sort of page ranks are you getting from the niche sites?  I assume that these are all one-way back links and that you are using social bookmarks quite heavily?

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #19 on: December 1, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »
What sort of page ranks are you getting from the niche sites?  I assume that these are all one-way back links and that you are using social bookmarks quite heavily?

Well I've ordered 100 social bookmarks per site and the one site I mentioned before is currently on the 3rd page of Google with only 18 backlinks for a keyword with over 10,000 monthly searches. These sites are under a month old so the PR is still N/A or 0.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 1, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »
Well I've ordered 100 social bookmarks per site and the one site I mentioned before is currently on the 3rd page of Google with only 18 backlinks for a keyword with over 10,000 monthly searches. These sites are under a month old so the PR is still N/A or 0.

That is not bad at all.  Are you using the google adwords tools for estimating the search traffic?  If so, is that global or local searches?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #21 on: December 1, 2010, 07:30:24 pm »

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #22 on: December 1, 2010, 07:50:14 pm »
That is not bad at all.  Are you using the google adwords tools for estimating the search traffic?  If so, is that global or local searches?

I just look at global searches then analyse the keyword in google trends as it tells you where the traffic is coming from. Much easier to access where traffic is coming from that way.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #23 on: December 6, 2010, 02:02:01 am »
just started using Market Samurai for Keyword research, quality program i must say...

www.MarketSamurai.com/Free_Trial

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #24 on: December 7, 2010, 05:38:17 pm »
I've been using Market Samurai for the past 3 months, great program to find high traffic and low competition keywords. Think I might finally splash out and actually buy the full version!

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #25 on: December 7, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »
I've been using Market Samurai for the past 3 months, great program to find high traffic and low competition keywords. Think I might finally splash out and actually buy the full version!
im thinking of doing so also...

i keep running into a situation though that when i narrow down the keywords to about 10 only, i dont appear to always be able to undo it and bring back the larger volume again, or if i change the settings to search the UK market instead of Ireland, even if i clear everything other than the keyword, it gets stuck on havng one or 2 keywords in the list and about 99 funnelled out..

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #26 on: December 7, 2010, 08:48:14 pm »
Have you tried clicking analyse keywords again after going back to blank settings?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #27 on: December 7, 2010, 08:50:44 pm »
Have you tried clicking analyse keywords again after going back to blank settings?
yep...

i'll be using it again tonight, if i run into the same problem, ill document it step by step so im a little clearer.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #28 on: December 8, 2010, 12:02:51 am »
Conman, do you read any SEO forums? At the moment I'm just using a sub-forum on a big internet marketing forum to discuss SEO and I really want to discuss and learn about SEO on a dedicated forum.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #29 on: December 8, 2010, 12:05:07 am »
Conman, do you read any SEO forums? At the moment I'm just using a sub-forum on a big internet marketing forum to discuss SEO and I really want to discuss and learn about SEO on a dedicated forum.
on advice from here i joined up to the warrior forum, but my mate is going to recommend me and get me into TheVault.

royhendo

« Reply #30 on: December 8, 2010, 07:45:05 am »
I'm just learning this from scratch at the minute - interesting stuff here. :)

royhendo

« Reply #31 on: December 8, 2010, 09:23:03 am »
What does ordering social bookmarks mean?

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 8, 2010, 09:38:59 am »

They are not as complicated as you might think, they are basically links to a specific website placed by users on sites like Twitter and Digg.  If you are buying them, ensure they are dofollow and not nofollows websites otherwise the link will be pointless.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #33 on: December 8, 2010, 12:05:24 pm »
on advice from here i joined up to the warrior forum, but my mate is going to recommend me and get me into TheVault.

Yeah, the Warrior Forum is the site I use to discuss SEO but before that it's an incredible internet marketing forum.

And what is TheVault as well? Can't find it in Google, make sure it isn't a blackhat SEO site because you'll see good ranking initially but when Google and other search engines catch on, they'll ban your sites.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2010, 12:09:52 pm by tnasaeP KWAR »

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #34 on: December 8, 2010, 12:06:45 pm »

It's just buying links, a specific type of link.

You pay someone to put your site's link on a social bookmarking websites like Digg, Technorati etc and it's an easy way to get lots of quality backlinks for cheap from high PR sites.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #35 on: December 8, 2010, 12:22:20 pm »
I'm just learning this from scratch at the minute - interesting stuff here. :)

Me too – I am an absolute novice yet my boss’s have decided that I’m the person to help grow our online sales through paid for search which I’m now realizing is slightly different to SEO stuff. All interesting though – I find it amazing how there is a whole mini industry out of all this when 0-15 years ago there was nothing.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 8, 2010, 12:38:34 pm »
Me too – I am an absolute novice yet my boss’s have decided that I’m the person to help grow our online sales through paid for search which I’m now realizing is slightly different to SEO stuff. All interesting though – I find it amazing how there is a whole mini industry out of all this when 0-15 years ago there was nothing.

What does your company sell online Nick?

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #37 on: December 8, 2010, 12:52:12 pm »
I'd fucking laugh if simonchamp was crosby nick's boss ;D

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #38 on: December 8, 2010, 12:54:37 pm »
They are not as complicated as you might think, they are basically links to a specific website placed by users on sites like Twitter and Digg.  If you are buying them, ensure they are dofollow and not nofollows websites otherwise the link will be pointless.
Do you have an example of any? Not quite sure what you mean?

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 8, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »
Do you have an example of any? Not quite sure what you mean?

Most of the news items here http://digg.com/news are links for commercial purposes.