Author Topic: Europa League 2023/24  (Read 49372 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Europa League 2023/24
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2023, 02:22:35 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yECzHnO9F0k

Great stuff :) David James though, looked like he was on the PlayStation the night before.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2023, 02:39:50 pm »
Preferred Conference league so we could smash some Faroe Island gardeners every thursday (no this is not my fantasy)
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2023, 12:02:02 am »
We go for the PL again and use the EL to blood new/young players in the early stages and if we do well, go for it in 2024
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2023, 12:47:07 am »
We're in Pot 1 for the Group Stage draw 1st of Sept.   8)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2023, 12:50:08 am »
We are one of a number of teams who've won the trophy 3 times. Only club who has won more than us is Seville with 6.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2023, 12:58:58 am »
Klopp's comments in the last week have me feeling confident. Of course we'd all rather be in the Champions League because I doubt we'd just be there to make up the numbers, but he sounds upbeat enough about being in Europe next season. Hopefully we go with full intentions of winning it, we'll be the best team in it regardless of who drops out of the European Cup, and while it doesn't give us a right to win it everyone will fancy our chances going into the Spring when knockouts roll around. That's providing we aren't dumped out in the groups  ;D

Looking forward to that draw, seeing who we get. While it would be nice to see some younger lads get a game we have to be wary about meeting some decent sides, we aren't just gonna walk to victory in it so I'm hoping the selections are nothing too early FA Cup rounds against 3rd tier opposition and a good balance of squad players coming in and youth. Get into the last 16 and do the business from there hopefully ensuring another European trophy in the process. We have to get back to our best in the league and challenge on that front too, but victory in this competition would certainly constitute a success for me next season
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2023, 01:01:56 am »
We're in Pot 1 for the Group Stage draw 1st of Sept.   8)

Our co-efficient points are going to be well higher than probably even most in the first pot. Think we'll be in there with one of Juve or Milan and then the winner of West Ham/Fiorentina.

Not sure what odds you'd have gotten on ourselves, Brighton and West Ham to all have qualified for this a while back.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2023, 01:11:17 am »
Our co-efficient points are going to be well higher than probably even most in the first pot. Think we'll be in there with one of Juve or Milan and then the winner of West Ham/Fiorentina.

Not sure what odds you'd have gotten on ourselves, Brighton and West Ham to all have qualified for this a while back.

I saw this the other day, well higher!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2023, 01:37:49 am »
Fuckin' Hell! we should get a bye into the final with those points.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2023, 02:49:30 am »
That’s the one I’m thinking of! And McManaman from the bye line. Still in the days of commentary sounding like it was coming down the phone line and a later afternoon kick off
Oh for the days of Barry Davies commentating on us. Just called the match none of the other bollocks.

There’s some decent clubs in there, but none that we shouldn’t beat. Obviously we don’t know who will drop out the CL yet but we have a really good chance to win this I think
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 02:51:45 am by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2023, 07:32:07 am »

I saw this the other day, well higher!

A group with Monaco, Antwerp/Union SG, Sturm Graz would involve the least travel at least
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #91 on: June 1, 2023, 03:35:09 pm »
A group with Monaco, Antwerp/Union SG, Sturm Graz would involve the least travel at least

I want the mad ones though . Boss holidays an ' all that .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 1, 2023, 03:55:09 pm »
I know one thing. All those opposition fans ridiculing us on social media for 'only being in The Europa League' will be gutted if we win yet another European trophy next year.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #93 on: June 1, 2023, 04:20:24 pm »
Good avenue to give the promising youngsters some experience alongside a few seniors. Especially in the group stages, when the initial league games are carried out by a mostly unchanged team.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2023, 05:58:54 pm »
Lads, if I were you I'd book your Dublin hotel NOW. Via Booking.com you can cancel with no cost - according to their site 96% of hotels are booked up already. I managed to get rooms on Thursday at a reasonable cost (219 euro for a twin) but there really isn't a lot left. Dublin is a nightmare at the best of times.

Online CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2023, 06:01:01 pm »
Your all welcome to pitch your tent in my back garden for the final

Same here, but I'm miles out near Borris, Co.Carlow! And forget getting a train back after the game  ;D

Online RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2023, 07:15:00 am »
Lads, if I were you I'd book your Dublin hotel NOW. Via Booking.com you can cancel with no cost - according to their site 96% of hotels are booked up already. I managed to get rooms on Thursday at a reasonable cost (219 euro for a twin) but there really isn't a lot left. Dublin is a nightmare at the best of times.
Isn't that simply a reflection of most hotels not yet having booking available that far in advance?

Online CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2023, 02:33:01 pm »
I've no idea, but I just searched the same dates for Munich and there are 211 hotels available........

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2023, 02:53:05 pm »
I want the mad ones though . Boss holidays an ' all that .
Would love Ferencvaros - Budapest is tops

Dream draw? Ferencvaros, Antwerp and Toulouse.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Online DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2023, 06:08:04 pm »
Genuinely looking forward to this - will be nice to have some different teams to play, and gives an opportunity for more gametime for players like Elliott and Doak who, based on existing depth or expected signings, might otherwise be limited to FA Cup/League Cup games next season.

Plus I always have the attitude of: just try and get some silverware each season. That way, even if we fall short on other fronts, we at least have tangible success. And really want Klopp to keep filling the trophy cabinet at every opportunity, because it's only going to get harder in the league and CL if the sportswashing projects continue unchecked.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2023, 06:46:38 pm »
Would love Ferencvaros - Budapest is tops

Dream draw? Ferencvaros, Antwerp and Toulouse.

Budapest was dodgy last time we were there. Didn't see anything personally but heard stories of reds being randomly attacked.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2023, 03:37:29 pm »

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2023, 03:46:20 pm »
Those co-efficient points  ;D Obviously the team to beat in this

I'm sure the pots will end up looking a bit different but some potentially games there. Anyone from that 2nd pot is a decent game/trip and beyond that I think from a footballing perspective you'd just take the nicest trips. I imagine in the group stage a lot of the first team would be absent in the away games anyway.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2023, 03:57:29 pm »
How have a team like Brighton got points? Is it country coefficient or something?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2023, 04:04:28 pm »
How have a team like Brighton got points? Is it country coefficient or something?

Yes, a country thing. Even Everton have points (a gift from us to our brethren, you might say, if they ever need them)

One good thing about being in the Europa is that we will still collect coefficient points. West Ham picked up more points than anyone but City this year and they were probably easier to earn. That way if we qualify for the CL in 23/24 we could easily be higher than now. We will probably go past Chelsea anyway but we have Real breathing down our necks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 04:07:22 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2023, 04:11:36 pm »
Sound thanks. Don't say we don't do anything nice for other clubs :P

Good point about coefficient points. I really want us to win the trophy but things like the points and qualifying for the Champions League are nice bonuses.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2023, 04:24:50 pm »

These pots assume that qualifying rounds go as expected. They may look completely different come the time of the draw.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2023, 04:43:03 pm »
Samie, I must have missed, what pot are Everton in?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2023, 05:03:54 pm »
Barm Pot
Toss Pot
Pol Pot
or
Cess Pot
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2023, 05:46:00 pm »
Freiburg would be fun.  Olympiakos for some old memories?

At least Marseille and PSV are the same pot for now (felt like we played them all the time in the 2000s - watch Marseille end up in Pot 3 and we get them).  Though a nice homecoming for Cody if it's PSV.
King Kenny.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2023, 05:53:15 pm »

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2023, 06:13:53 pm »
Freiburg would be fun.  Olympiakos for some old memories?

At least Marseille and PSV are the same pot for now (felt like we played them all the time in the 2000s - watch Marseille end up in Pot 3 and we get them).  Though a nice homecoming for Cody if it's PSV.

As has been said, that list above is likely to change considerably. Only us, West Ham, Roma, Villarreal, Leverkusen and Atalanta are guaranteed to be there. PSV and Marseille are in the CL as it stands, and the list above is assuming the seeded teams will win all the qualifiers (both CL and EL), but in the final round of CL qualifiers, PSV and Marseille are supposed to be unseeded, while Rangers and Braga would be the seeded teams, and even that's only if previous rounds go to plan. In that case, I'd expect Rangers and Braga in the EL and not PSV and Marseille.

Offline False9

• Took the oil money!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2023, 08:19:51 pm »
It would be a horrible strategical mistake if Liverpool paid attention to Europa League next season.
If you look closely to what's happening in the Premier League, it's clear as the day that PL 2023-24 will be the hardest season maybe ever.
Just a look at what is waiting for Liverpool next season:
1) Man City: Always hard to beat, current treble winners, Haaland and Alvarez fully adapted. They will go through some renewals with the Gundogan and B. Silva departures, but overall they will be as good as always. One CL spot is theirs.
2) Arsenal: With CL money and new investment into the project, they will finally have the depth necessary to compete for the trophy. Harvetz, Rice and Caicedo seem very likely. Also, they are in London, very attractive city for the families of international players in continental Europe. A CL spot is probably theirs, too.
3) Man United: Ten Hag going for his second year, with CL and a huge moneychest to spend on the window. They will be a hard competitor.
4) Newcastle: Huge moneychest, proven project on the hands of Eddie Howe. They have a CL spot and will be ready to keep performing on a high level. It seems like Barella on the talk. A Bruno, Joeliton and Barella midfielder is something to wonder.
5) Chelsea: They have lots of good players and will finally have someone to run the project. Pochettino himself, who did a very similar job with Tottenham, but now will have way better players and more money. They will probably perform well.
From the top 7, you have at least 6 who will be fighting for a CL spot. Apart from that, you have Brighton, Aston Villa and West Ham with solid projects.
To focus on Europa League when Liverpool will be in a scenario like that it's a bad decision. The focus has to be entirely on the Premier League or there's a very likely scenario where Liverpool fails to even classify again.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2023, 09:12:17 pm »
It would be a horrible strategical mistake if Liverpool paid attention to Europa League next season.
If you look closely to what's happening in the Premier League, it's clear as the day that PL 2023-24 will be the hardest season maybe ever.

1) Man City: Always hard to beat, current treble winners, Haaland and Alvarez fully adapted. They will go through some renewals with the Gundogan and B. Silva departures, but overall they will be as good as always. One CL spot is theirs.
2) Arsenal: With CL money and new investment into the project, they will finally have the depth necessary to compete for the trophy. Harvetz, Rice and Caicedo seem very likely. Also, they are in London, very attractive city for the families of international players in continental Europe. A CL spot is probably theirs, too.
3) Man United: Ten Hag going for his second year, with CL and a huge moneychest to spend on the window. They will be a hard competitor.
4) Newcastle: Huge moneychest, proven project on the hands of Eddie Howe. They have a CL spot and will be ready to keep performing on a high level. It seems like Barella on the talk. A Bruno, Joeliton and Barella midfielder is something to wonder.
5) Chelsea: They have lots of good players and will finally have someone to run the project. Pochettino himself, who did a very similar job with Tottenham, but now will have way better players and more money. They will probably perform well.
From the top 7, you have at least 6 who will be fighting for a CL spot. Apart from that, you have Brighton, Aston Villa and West Ham with solid projects.
To focus on Europa League when Liverpool will be in a scenario like that it's a bad decision. The focus has to be entirely on the Premier League or there's a very likely scenario where Liverpool fails to even classify again.

May as well go all out for Europa then.

Ultimately we should be getting out the group anyway (without going too strong) and then see where we are in Feb.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2023, 09:33:58 pm »

We exist to win trophies.

Win the Europa and its CL 2024/25 anyway.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2023, 09:35:02 pm »

One thing you missed is that Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle will all be competing in the CL next season, which they weren't in 22/23.
If paying attention to the EL is bad for Liverpool, how much worse will the CL be for them?

As Fromola says, in the group stages we shouldn't need to go too strong anyway -  mainly playing younger players and those seniors who need the minutes. It should be far less draining than a CL campaign. And depending on qualification/draw, not necessarily lots of trips to the other side of Europe.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2023, 09:45:15 pm »
Good avenue to give the promising youngsters some experience alongside a few seniors. Especially in the group stages, when the initial league games are carried out by a mostly unchanged team.
Of course youngsters will feature prominently in the Europa League, but that comment is a knock against the competition. Its a huge trophy. It builds the clubs history. A european trophy is a european trophy, also factoring in it automatically qualifies you to the super cup is massive. Lets not forget we could be the only club with at least 4 europa and 4 champions league trophies. I hope the club goes all out for this competition. It would kill a lot of clubs even though theyll pretend to be unbothered.
Seen us win everything

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2023, 12:31:17 am »
:lmao
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline False9

• Took the oil money!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2023, 12:41:10 am »
One thing you missed is that Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle will all be competing in the CL next season, which they weren't in 22/23.
If paying attention to the EL is bad for Liverpool, how much worse will the CL be for them?

As Fromola says, in the group stages we shouldn't need to go too strong anyway -  mainly playing younger players and those seniors who need the minutes. It should be far less draining than a CL campaign. And depending on qualification/draw, not necessarily lots of trips to the other side of Europe.

A lot worse, but with one key difference - They are already there and they have the opportunity to bring top notch talent this window to create depth to play both competitions. Liverpool on the other hand is out of CL and has an aging squad that need lots of improvements and tactical changes.
It's a great thing that we were able to attract names like MacAllister, but it's just a matter of thinking that Liverpool was also out of the competition for Bellingham, Rice, Caicedo, Skriniar and several other young players because of the lack of CL football.
The 2022-23 season let one thing clear - Liverpool has failed to renewal their squad and would need improvements to become competitive once again. Because they failed to qualify to CL, this will become much harder to do this window. So they should focus in the competition that matters the most - The Premier League - to exploit their rivals split attention and make sure they will have a CL spot for 2024-25.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2023, 08:22:17 am »

It's great that there'll be so many teams all able to compete as it means there's more teams likely to take points off our competitors.

How fucking boring is it watching ADFC trampling over every team bar us, week in week out.  Let some others do the heavy lifting, then it's in our hands to win our own games.

There's some right fucking fannies in our fanbase these days, they'd never have survived how competitive the 70s and 80s were.