Author Topic: Europa League 2023/24  (Read 49278 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Europa League 2023/24
« on: May 26, 2023, 12:28:37 am »
Come on, think positive, everyone, especially Mo, is disappointed in 5th place after the last couple of months looked like we might swing it. Let's not forget how poor we were this season and the fact that we were chasing Spurs, Brentford, Brighton & Fulham not too long ago with in form Villa going faster than us. Many on here wrote us off completely but at least the team looks like it's got some shape, confidence and form back and there is a summer to fill the gaps and get the rest that is needed. This year we've seen Bajteic and Elliot push on, Jones return to what we thought he could be, Arnold and Fabinho regain form, see Konate and Van Dijk establish their partnership and Nunez and Gakpo blooded into the spirit of the team.
The positives

Yes, champions league brings money, but only if you get to the later stages, winning the Europa League would bring as much as we got from this seasons CL
We get to play a lower level of team and that's a chance to bring some players through still more, we never really got the opportunity to risk players this season because we were living on the margins, only by the 5th game did we make sure of getting out of the group by winning away at Ajax.
Jurgen gets the chance to win the full set, no-one has done that (i'm not counting the Europa Conference)
We're not in the Europa Conference
Thursday nights are dull
The final is in Dublin
We still get to play some decent teams
It's another route to CL 2024/25

Glass half full, think positive

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: Europa League 2023/24
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 02:15:19 am »
Well said. What's done is done. Being miserable about it won't undo it. Take the hand we've been played and find the beauty and joy in it

Maybe in just over a year we'll be posting images of Jurgen with every single trophy he's contested.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 02:21:28 am »
Was always a long shot for us getting into the CL and once the refs fucked us over it was pretty much a done deal.

Europa league might not have been what we wanted but it’s what we got. Another chance at a trophy and a chance to give some of the up and comers an opportunity to get some game time in the early rounds.

Go for it, win it and get it done.

Good enough for Mo good enough for us ;)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 02:42:13 am »
I am really looking forward to it. It will be fun for a season to see some different teams and play in Europe with a bit of pressure off. I’d also absolutely love us to get to Dublin. Glass absolutely half full. Only a spoilt supporter would not appreciate that we’ve gorged on great times, and being in the EL is part of our next journey.

I say enjoy it and don’t take this all too seriously. Enjoy the authentic experience of the journey. Give that to me any day over a phoney experience at the doped clubs.

Also, I can’t wait to see an expanded Anfield next year, our new additions, and the likes of Nunez and Gakpo further integrated. So much to look forward to.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 02:44:19 am »
Well said. What's done is done. Being miserable about it won't undo it. Take the hand we've been played and find the beauty and joy in it

Maybe in just over a year we'll be posting images of Jurgen with every single trophy he's contested.

Beautifully said. I’d love us to lift the EL. It’s been a long time.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 05:26:16 am »
It's unnecessarily slandered. 'Good luck against Narnia', 'can't wait to see Liverpool v Westeros' some of the messages I have received but I like European competition. My greatest time as a supporter till this day was 2000-2001 so I'm looking forward to it. I hope we can blood through some youngsters in the group stages until we meet the 'big heads', European royalty in the latter stages. We are joint 2nd for the amount of wins, yes move clear!

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 05:28:36 am »
Best looking trophy in club football too. Also like the fact we can rest our best players during the group stages and keep them fresh for a crack at the title (depending on who we sign this summer) rather than flog them like you need to do in CL group matches.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 06:26:18 am »
Best looking trophy in club football too. Also like the fact we can rest our best players during the group stages and keep them fresh for a crack at the title (depending on who we sign this summer) rather than flog them like you need to do in CL group matches.

ermm... no

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 06:59:05 am »
Yeah disappointing season for sure but the Europa League (UEFA Cup to many) is something I have fantastic memories of. Even qualifying for it in the 90’s was a big achievement which is when I started watching football and that final in 2001 may as well have been the Champions League final for what it meant to me.

We’ve had some glorious years recently and a team to rival the very best of this illustrious club but as Klopp looks to build his dream team 2.0 a year in this competition is far from the worst thing. Bring it on!

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 07:28:13 am »
Wooohoooo   Europa League here we come!!

I'm so excited about this I can't sleep!! /s

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2023, 07:34:53 am »
It's a good opportunity to win a trophy at least and in turn qualify for the Champions League.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 08:03:20 am »
Can’t say I’m delighted to be missing out on the Champions League, but there’s something nice about the idea of giving some younger players some European experience and we’ve always had a good time in this competition.

I also think we’ll definitely win it. Unless we draw Brighton.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 08:05:47 am by Clint Eastwood »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2023, 08:16:39 am »
Clearly it’s a huge failure top to bottom not getting top four but sometimes some humility is needed to rediscover yourself.

You can point to a raft of reasons, injuries, lack of midfield reinforcements, the but for me ultimately we approached this season with an arrogance and complacency not seen in this team before and ending up 5th is what we deserve. From game week one vs Fulham we weren’t at the races and we haven’t been since.

Simply looking at how few points we took from teams who got relegated, including being beat at home by Leeds this was a season to forget. Many of our performances have been truly dire.

But that is past, lessons must be learn, yet I for one am looking forward to Kloppball mark 2 and the Europa league is a great platform to blood some youngsters like Doak.

Time to back Klopp, refresh the squad and we go again.

It will be interesting to see the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle and Utd try and navigate competing with cheaty and the demands of the champions league, it’s a level I doubt they can ever match. We can and will again.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023, 08:23:26 am »
It’s a failure to be in this competition but it’s not a trophy that is to be written off, especially considering the cups are our best route of success next season.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2023, 08:43:30 am »
We've had some crazy nights in the UEFA cup in years gone by and it is a competition we should absolutely be making our own while we are in it.

I also think that a UEFA cup run helps you prepare players for Champions league football. This is something I think Newcastle, Arsenal and Brighton are going to really struggle with next season.

We will certainly be in the seeded top pot and will be the bookies favourites. We will have players we will need to bed in if we are going to be running a new system or style of football then a bunch of low block teams will be a very good test.

The format is a little crazy in as much as you not only have to get out of your group stage but if you dont top your group there is a further set of matches for those that finish 2nd in order to qualify to the knock out stages. So we have to be aiming to top our group.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2023, 08:55:33 am »
Some good memories and some dire ones as well. Hope we can make the Thursday night atmospheres similar to the CL ones. Any ideas how much tickets will be? I'll be in the ACS as usual.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023, 09:27:42 am »
It'll make a nice change, not the end of the world.  Would be nice for Jurgen to win as he hasn't yet with us.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 09:28:30 am »
Some good memories and some dire ones as well. Hope we can make the Thursday night atmospheres similar to the CL ones. Any ideas how much tickets will be? I'll be in the ACS as usual.
Hope the prices are at lower league cup prices, especially for the early part of the campaign when I imagine the majority of the first team will be missing.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2023, 09:32:20 am »
It’s a failure to be in this competition but it’s not a trophy that is to be written off, especially considering the cups are our best route of success next season.
It is a failure but let's make it a blip. The league should not be sacrificed for the Europa League. I'd start off resting key players in the group stage. Once we reach the 2nd round/QF, then it's a nice trophy to win and we can go for it. However, we shouldn't let it affect our results in our bread-and-butter competition.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 09:58:03 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2023, 09:54:12 am »
I think the aim is to top our group mainly using our B side with a sprinkling of first 11 players in each home game. Then as the competition progresses our starting 11 becomes stronger and stronger. A bit like out domestic cup runs last year. Top the group and we can park this competition until March. Being part of the title chase March-May while going for a European cup would make it a pretty fun season.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2023, 09:55:54 am »
Obviously gutted not to be in the Champions League, considering our quality. But the fiinal in Dublin is a huge incentive for us fans at least. The ferries over would be quality. Would love to win it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2023, 09:56:38 am »
I'm well up for a run at this trophy next season.  European experience for younger players, more chance to focus on the league and more rest for our main men.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2023, 10:00:08 am »
I mean let's be honest it's not a particularly great competition for a large chunk of it - overly long and with a lot of dud games until you reach the latter stages, but if we are in it we have to be winning it as a goal.

The team that we should be aiming to be next year is one that should win this competition. So I may be putting the pressure of expectation on the team but we have to win this (or completely sack it off which is something I know we won't do). And that's not as a means of saying it's the best option to get back in the CL, it isn't, just the club we want to be is one that should expect itself to get into the top 4 and win this trophy.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2023, 10:05:06 am »
I mean let's be honest it's not a particularly great competition for a large chunk of it - overly long and with a lot of dud games until you reach the latter stages, but if we are in it we have to be winning it as a goal.

The team that we should be aiming to be next year is one that should win this competition. So I may be putting the pressure of expectation on the team but we have to win this (or completely sack it off which is something I know we won't do). And that's not as a means of saying it's the best option to get back in the CL, it isn't, just the club we want to be is one that should expect itself to get into the top 4 and win this trophy.
We got to the European Cup final last season. With a few additions, surely we have to be favorites to win this.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2023, 10:05:10 am »

The Champions League is not a great tournament in the early stages, everyone is waiting for the knocks out rounds or the very last game if it goes to the last game in the groups. So, its little different to the Champions League overall. I am just looking forward to seeing the team develop some of its talent in this competition. Let's see how far we go in it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2023, 10:13:36 am »
The Champions League is not a great tournament in the early stages, everyone is waiting for the knocks out rounds or the very last game if it goes to the last game in the groups. So, its little different to the Champions League overall. I am just looking forward to seeing the team develop some of its talent in this competition. Let's see how far we go in it.

That's how I basically see it. Looking forward to it too. A lot of new teams to play against as well, hopefully...

Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023%E2%80%9324_UEFA_Europa_League : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League

Tournament Info - www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/about : https://twitter.com/EuropaLeague : www.facebook.com/EuropaLeague : www.instagram.com/europaleague

http://lfcineurope.com : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/ListGamesByType/4 (LFC in Europe) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._in_international_football

UEFA Info: www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/history/clubs/7889--liverpool (history) & www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/clubs/7889--liverpool (current)

Some video content from our UEFA Cup Final victories (in '73, '76, and '01) - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg17175721#msg17175721

^ from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023%E2%80%9324_UEFA_Europa_League (we go straight into the Group Stage - no Qualifiers or Play-Off matches for us)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 03:38:02 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2023, 10:15:01 am »

To be fair I'd disagree with that, I think you play top teams in the group stages. Europa feels like the FA cup a bit, where things don't really get going until about the quarter final stage.

But it's a European trophy so we have to win it, and we will absolutely be considering ourselves the best team in this competition so we have to expect ourselves to win it - for our level that's the only benchmark that can be deemed a success in this (which it would be, a real success, but we have to win it, or completely treat it as a competition for the reserves/youth)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2023, 10:16:34 am »
We got to the European Cup final last season. With a few additions, surely we have to be favorites to win this.

With a handful of smart signings we should be by far and away the best team in this competition

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2023, 10:19:12 am »
Mainly looking forward to not having Napoli in our group. Will be nice/different to play some new teams.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2023, 10:19:14 am »
Love the Europa, so many great memories, even last time was great though we couldn't get it done at the end, we will be massive favs for it all the way unless we get really unlucky with a Real or Bayern dropping out from the CL which would be just our luck. Just gutted no Croatian teams are in there, I really want to see us play there especially at Hajduk's stadium. Should be some awesome trips though and hopefully Feyenoord finish 3rd in the CL group and we can play at the De Kuip.

Should be able to rest up for most of the group stage but important to win it so Mo and co maybe needed for 1 or 2 games if we get a decent opponent in the group, Arsenal had PSV this year and Utd had Sociedad.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2023, 10:19:47 am »
Mainly looking forward to not having Napoli in our group. Will be nice/different to play some new teams.

Them and Porto are 100% dropping down into this.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2023, 10:20:56 am »
To be fair I'd disagree with that, I think you play top teams in the group stages. Europa feels like the FA cup a bit, where things don't really get going until about the quarter final stage.

But it's a European trophy so we have to win it, and we will absolutely be considering ourselves the best team in this competition so we have to expect ourselves to win it - for our level that's the only benchmark that can be deemed a success in this (which it would be, a real success, but we have to win it, or completely treat it as a competition for the reserves/youth)

You play the same teams year after year, and when teams are in good form there is very little surprise, it's an entirely predictable competition. It's only if a team like Napoli enter the competition that an element of surprise occurs, or us when Klopp got us into the competition that first time. It's far too straight forward for the big teams.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2023, 10:23:01 am »
I mean it's the league cup of European trophies isn't it. Gets interesting around the quarter finals, play the kids before. It's a shame really we didn't drop down into it after the group stages this year as felt like we'd have had a much more fun ride in Europe this season than the subsequent tonking we got off Madrid.

But we absolutely should win it next year, without breaking stride. It'd be nice to complete the set.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2023, 10:25:12 am »
I want Spartak Vladikavkaz (probably unlikely, assume Russian clubs are banned), Slovan Liberec and Olympia Ljubljana.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2023, 10:25:46 am »

We play some good teams, but we've coasted the group stages the last few years with some heavy rotation. Because of the coefficient system means you're usually playing 2 sides who are borderline Europa level or worse. Last year we got some big (but not really good) teams and won all 6. Got battered by Napoli but qualified with a game to spare this year when we were awful in the league as well.

They're changing up the group stages for Champions League because there are so few good games/games between top sides. Knockout stages are usually really good though and that'll be a real miss, or not losing to a Madrid side there might be a nice break.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:30:30 am by Chris~ »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2023, 10:30:38 am »
I'm genuinely looking forward to it. I really like the competition and always have. Would obviously rather be in the Champions League but two months ago I thought we were finishing 8th or going into the Conference League at best. I'd have taken Europa League football then.

I think Klopp's outlook on this will be seeing it as a reward and not a punishment. En masse the fans might disagree with that, but that's the mentality which would best serve us IMO. I know we'll have to beat some good teams in this if we want to win it, but for me it's nothing other than failure should we not win it. I as much as anyone would be happy seeing a few changed teams in the groups and giving some squad players/kids a go, but he has to be smart about it and I think he will. Top the group and give us something to look forward to in the spring, do that and we can avoid a couple of extra games in the first knockout round.

So yeah. I'm looking forward to what is hopefully going to be a very fun and fruitful ride in this. Even despite subsequent success in the Champions League the loss in 2016 still stings, but it was still one of the most exciting times watching modern Liverpool, that run from February to the final was absolutely class. There'll hopefully be more of that next year, and I think a lot who are down about it now won't be moaning then. Success is infectious.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2023, 10:32:09 am »
Hopefully it means we have less 12:30 kick-offs on a Saturday as we will have more Sunday games.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2023, 10:32:41 am »
Strong supporter of this move by the team  … I play 5 a side on Wednesday nights so miss half the CL games .. Thursday is way more convenient for me personally - so every cloud ….
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:54:33 am by JackWard33 »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2023, 10:33:47 am »
We play some good teams, but we've coasted the group stages the last few years with some heavy rotation. Because of the coefficient system means you're usually playing 2 sides who are borderline Europa level or worse. Last year we got some ig teams and won all 6.

They're changing up the group stages for Champions League because there are so few good games/games between top sides

To be fair in the last 2 seasons have been Atletico Madrid, Milan, Porto, Napoli, Ajax, and Rangers - even if we coasted through you are still playing recognized European teams (teams which all at a minimum would be expecting to do well in Europa).

In Europa you are probably going to get at best one of the last place CL teams - a PSV or Sheriff or Midtjyiland (sure I haven't come close to spelling that right).

From a purely Liverpool European nights point of view, there's very much a difference between playing a bad Milan side in the group stages (which is still an electric European night) to Omonia in the Europa (which will probably be closer to a League cup game).

Just as a fan going the match CL always feels special, Europa just doesn't until about the Quarter final

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2023, 10:36:31 am »
I'm genuinely looking forward to it. I really like the competition and always have. Would obviously rather be in the Champions League but two months ago I thought we were finishing 8th or going into the Conference League at best. I'd have taken Europa League football then.

Same! Don't get people who write it off, must be entitlement.

Winning it in 2001 was one of my happiest moments as a Liverpool fan, losing it in 2016 felt devastating at the time. That says everything, for me.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."