Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 312908 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #2280 on: May 16, 2023, 05:50:23 am »
Worked his socks off last night. Why he didn't get a foul for that challenge from Evans iirc? Way he picks up ball and runs is joyful.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #2281 on: May 16, 2023, 08:10:02 am »
Worked his socks off last night. Why he didn't get a foul for that challenge from Evans iirc? Way he picks up ball and runs is joyful.
Nope, he was fouled twice in that same run and neither was given. Leicester were thuggish in the first 20 and nothing was done to protect any of our players.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2282 on: May 16, 2023, 08:29:49 am »
Nope, he was fouled twice in that same run and neither was given. Leicester were thuggish in the first 20 and nothing was done to protect any of our players.
Yeah referee seemed reluctant to give anything in the first twenty minutes. Harvey Barnes & Maddison were going down at slightest thing though.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2283 on: May 16, 2023, 09:14:58 am »
Only player Klopp has tried to replicate the Bobby role with by the looks of it. Every other 9 was more of a traditional 9. He looks great picking the ball up deep, turning and sprinting. At the moment his default is to ALWAYS look to Salah, which is fine. Could add a little Bobby slide-rull pass to his arsenal, or that classic Firmino lay-off, run to the byline and pull back inside for Sadio move.

Edit: there should be words for these moves!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:19:44 am by lamonti »

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2284 on: May 16, 2023, 01:23:48 pm »
Only player Klopp has tried to replicate the Bobby role with by the looks of it. Every other 9 was more of a traditional 9. He looks great picking the ball up deep, turning and sprinting. At the moment his default is to ALWAYS look to Salah, which is fine. Could add a little Bobby slide-rull pass to his arsenal, or that classic Firmino lay-off, run to the byline and pull back inside for Sadio move.

Edit: there should be words for these moves!

Bobby's moves cannot be contained or described by mere verbiage...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2285 on: May 16, 2023, 03:49:36 pm »
True enough.

As I said this one manc fan I know is probably more intelligent and knowledgeable about what makes a good player than the entire muster at Man United. And long may it remain so
You're saying he had no comments to make about Cody's social media presence??

Wow.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2286 on: May 16, 2023, 06:35:16 pm »
Cody finding his feet so quickly, the return of (and huge strides made by) Curtis Jones, Bajcetic’s emergence, TAA’s superhero regen, and hopefully Darwin getting his confidence back quickly in pre-season makes me very hopeful for this team bouncing back. Of course with reinforcements too!

Only thing that needs doing to make it a real positive vibe - is some strong suggestion there is an overhaul of the sodding medical department over the summer! Only that will truly mean there is much to be positive about!

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #2287 on: May 19, 2023, 03:20:28 pm »
How many goals / assists has he got this season altogether? (PSV, Holland & us)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: May 19, 2023, 07:07:39 pm »
How many goals / assists has he got this season altogether? (PSV, Holland & us)

19 goals/19 assist's combined for Us and PSV mate.  3 goals at the World Cup too.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #2289 on: May 19, 2023, 09:17:17 pm »
19 goals/19 assist's combined for Us and PSV mate.  3 goals at the World Cup too.
Cheese Chuffer. Some season that then

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2290 on: May 20, 2023, 01:50:03 am »
This guy is a great signing. He is so skilful and quick but he is fucking massive. I think after a full pre-season working with the other forwards he’s going to get even better. I have seen more than enough this season, dinked finishes, long range shots, dribbling, etc. to be excited by what he will become. 23 years old too.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2291 on: May 20, 2023, 09:31:39 am »
His goals are not the impressive thing, its his improvement in pressing. Think i read somewhere he is a player that really improves due to his hard work and you can see it in his pressing and how much he is now winning the ball. That is the most essential thing.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #2292 on: May 20, 2023, 05:09:27 pm »
Really good second half, involved in most of the little creativity we had.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2293 on: May 20, 2023, 05:09:51 pm »
Yeah thought he played well, his touch is excellent.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #2294 on: May 20, 2023, 05:22:45 pm »
Played well despite nearly getting donuted by Mings.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 05:27:25 pm by leinad »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #2295 on: May 20, 2023, 05:26:41 pm »
Very frustrating game but you have to give Villa credit for completely shutting down the space between the lines with their insanely high line.

Cody literally had no space to operate in. Still did some bits here and there.

He's the least of our worries for the next season.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2296 on: May 20, 2023, 05:31:10 pm »
What's with all these Liverpool Dutch players protecting the ball like it's their kid?
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2297 on: May 20, 2023, 06:26:54 pm »
Not a red card though.  :butt

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2298 on: May 20, 2023, 06:34:37 pm »
Very frustrating game but you have to give Villa credit for completely shutting down the space between the lines with their insanely high line.

Cody literally had no space to operate in. Still did some bits here and there.

He's the least of our worries for the next season.
They are a good team with a good manager.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #2299 on: May 20, 2023, 06:44:20 pm »

Ouch. Gakpo will remember this game for the rest of the summer  :(

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2300 on: May 20, 2023, 08:49:14 pm »

With that piece of shite ref, we're lucky he didn't get a yellow for chesting Mings' foot.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2301 on: May 20, 2023, 10:32:41 pm »
Ouch. Gakpo will remember this game for the rest of the summer  :(

He may - but opposing fans, the annoucers and the FA will rewrite things quickly to pretend it never happened. And then to have a goal stolen from him.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2302 on: May 20, 2023, 10:58:27 pm »

That will leave a mark.
I thought the at least was worth the ref going to the monitor for

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2303 on: May 22, 2023, 08:22:10 am »
That will leave a mark.
I thought the at least was worth the ref going to the monitor for

Not even mentioned by the “pundits” on MOTD. Not one solitary word.

You know, the very same pundits who wanted Jota hung, drawn and quartered for a lesser high boot challenge onky a few weeks ago.

Anyway, love Gakpo.  Always seems to want to go forward. Think we are yet to see the best of this lad by a country mile.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2304 on: May 29, 2023, 10:06:13 pm »
https://twitter.com/FootballOranje_/status/1662887814822780931

Cody Gakpo had a wonderful season for PSV and Liverpool

PSV: 13 goals, 17 assists

Liverpool: 7 goals 3 assists

In 50 games this season, that is 20 goals and 20 assists.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: May 29, 2023, 11:16:58 pm »

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2306 on: May 30, 2023, 08:24:17 am »
Reckon this guy will be a shining light for us next season.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #2307 on: May 30, 2023, 08:41:32 am »
Pleasantly surprised buy how he turned out, wasn't overwhelmed when we signed him as I was expecting money to be spent on a midfielder and couldn't see where he'd get games.  Looks like he's set to be the new Bobby.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2308 on: May 30, 2023, 08:44:51 am »
Yeah I also thought he may be a bit of a dud but glad to be proven wrong on an assumption made in the first month of him playing. The thing I still have a question about is why we went for his style of player after Nunez but its good that we got him.

There are still some questions about goals from the front three but I think he is capable of replicating 2018-2021 Bobby numbers. But main thing is his pressing has really taken off and that is key.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2309 on: May 30, 2023, 08:54:43 am »
A huge example of the need to just give players a bit of time

Within a few games people were moaning and criticising praise of his play. Wonderful player and a great great addition to our side

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2310 on: May 30, 2023, 09:07:33 am »
A huge example of the need to just give players a bit of time

Within a few games people were moaning and criticising praise of his play. Wonderful player and a great great addition to our side

I think most felt we needed a midfielder more than anything in January, so watching us sign Gakpo and then seeing our form deteriorate even more as our chances of top four dwindled away was understandably pretty annoying. I like Gakpo but I'm still not convinced our season wouldn't have gone a lot better if we had brought in a decent midfielder.

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #2311 on: May 30, 2023, 09:07:48 am »
Along with Ali's form and the emergence of Stefan Bajcetic. Gakpo has been a real positive in a season that's just been woeful.  Didn't impress me in his first month or so, he looked slow and I couldn't make out his role in the team, but he's really sharpened up, carries and progresses the ball forward as good as any player in the Prem, keeps possession really well, and his play 'between the lines' is great. I think he'll be close to a 'one in three' striker for us. He's going to be a very important player in Jurgen's rebuild. Can't wait to see him next season after a decent pre-season. If he can achieve half of what Bobby did for us, he'll be a fantastic buy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:19:02 am by Eddie »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2312 on: May 30, 2023, 09:12:48 am »
I think most felt we needed a midfielder more than anything in January, so watching us sign Gakpo and then seeing our form deteriorate even more as our chances of top four dwindled away was understandably pretty annoying. I like Gakpo but I'm still not convinced our season wouldn't have gone a lot better if we had brought in a decent midfielder.

You didn't think there was any need to address the loss of Mane and Bobby?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2313 on: May 30, 2023, 09:32:43 am »

Or we sign both? Like seriously, are we that fucking poor.

I cant believe that people are saying Klopp made a mistake getting an attacker over a midfielder.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2314 on: May 30, 2023, 10:44:21 am »
I'm a big Gapko Guy (sic) , really looking forward to what he brings next season. If he stays fit, 25-30 G+A in the league is a realistic target.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2315 on: May 30, 2023, 11:07:55 am »
You didn't think there was any need to address the loss of Mane and Bobby?

We literally started a game with two attacking midfielders, Elliot and Carvalho, in midfield at one point, and we ended the season with one decent midfielder playing regularly. I don't think it's outrageous to suggest that having one quality midfielder for the last 5 months would have had a bigger impact than getting Bobby's replacement in early.

Or we sign both? Like seriously, are we that fucking poor.

I cant believe that people are saying Klopp made a mistake getting an attacker over a midfielder.

I don't disagree but ultimately for whatever reason we only signed one player. I'm not necessarily saying it was a mistake choosing Gakpo, just that I think our odds of a top four finish would have been higher with a midfielder given the issues we've had this season.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2316 on: May 30, 2023, 11:10:35 am »
We use him as a 10 basically an advanced midfielder .. and he's been decent in that role without being anything earth shattering .. not an amazing passer and struggles to get on the ball sometimes- looks lively/aware in the box when he gets there
There remains a live question about whether we have enough goal threat / shot production in this set up

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2317 on: May 30, 2023, 12:08:08 pm »

I’ve said it a few times and i’m confident i’m spot on, there wasn’t money made available initially in January, Gakpos availability became apparent and funds were freed up for him specifically, we were short up top and he wasn’t signed on a spur of the moment admiration more with a view to the future and the evolution of our squad, he was called the missing piece because of his ability to link play and transition from defence to attack therefore relieving some the pressure on the midfield, also providing goals and assists. The midfield was an issue but I think the impending departures in summer likely made it hard to sell the idea of spending on another body for midfield in January, it was never a straight choice between Gakpo and a CM hence the talk of us being stretched financially immediately following Gakpos arrival.

This is how I see it but I could obviously be very wrong but going by the comments and way things unfolded around his arrivals its how I see what occured. Also… this is all besides the point. Frustration is one thing and I have been one of those shouting loudest about our need for a CM for some time, the solution isn’t to fucking criticise a young red who is learning a new system, team and league and use him as some lightning rod for our frustrations with our clubs choices, just support the guy and dont write him off instantly because he isn’t a CM

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2318 on: May 30, 2023, 01:41:00 pm »
I’ve said it a few times and i’m confident i’m spot on, there wasn’t money made available initially in January, Gakpos availability became apparent and funds were freed up for him specifically, we were short up top and he wasn’t signed on a spur of the moment admiration more with a view to the future and the evolution of our squad, he was called the missing piece because of his ability to link play and transition from defence to attack therefore relieving some the pressure on the midfield, also providing goals and assists. The midfield was an issue but I think the impending departures in summer likely made it hard to sell the idea of spending on another body for midfield in January, it was never a straight choice between Gakpo and a CM hence the talk of us being stretched financially immediately following Gakpos arrival.

This is how I see it but I could obviously be very wrong but going by the comments and way things unfolded around his arrivals its how I see what occured. Also… this is all besides the point. Frustration is one thing and I have been one of those shouting loudest about our need for a CM for some time, the solution isn’t to fucking criticise a young red who is learning a new system, team and league and use him as some lightning rod for our frustrations with our clubs choices, just support the guy and dont write him off instantly because he isn’t a CM

Yup, indeed, I also think that Cody is a learner and we'll see a lot more of him as time goes on. The PL can be a challenge for some when new (Leiva, Fabinho etc) not everyone hits the ground running.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2319 on: May 30, 2023, 02:21:10 pm »

Yup, indeed, I also think that Cody is a learner and we'll see a lot more of him as time goes on. The PL can be a challenge for some when new (Leiva, Fabinho etc) not everyone hits the ground running.

Exactly. Look at Paqueta, quickly dubbed rubbish and a bullet dodged, a little time granted and he's been very good. It's mad we see players we have in our own side have a slow start and require patience then some go back to acting as if it's the first time when another new player needs some time