Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 100848 times)

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #480 on: May 12, 2017, 02:20:30 pm »
My first time was here (I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere amongst all those hands).

Sydney Opera House steps. Feb 2014. Some of the many highlights, Bloodbuzz Ohio, Sea of Love, England, Fake Empire. Finished off with an acoustic version of Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks.

One of the best nights of my life.

Literally found the full show on youtube last night and stayed up until 1am listening to it. Itching to see them live when they come to the UK in autumn.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #481 on: May 12, 2017, 04:20:02 pm »
Literally found the full show on youtube last night and stayed up until 1am listening to it. Itching to see them live when they come to the UK in autumn.

You won't be disappointed.

Incredible band. Going to the festival in Copenhagen that they are curating.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:45:06 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: May 13, 2017, 12:28:28 am »
Nice! The other singles are great as well. "Don't Want To" especially.
Double Double Whammy is killing at the moment. I love all the singles they've put out, and can't wait for their release.

They're touring with Alex G and Japanese Breakfast too. A hell of a card.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2017, 12:45:12 am »
You won't be disappointed.

Incredible band. Going to the festival in Copenhagen that they are curating.
Copenhagen is boss

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #484 on: May 13, 2017, 08:29:35 am »
Copenhagen is boss

Went earlier in the year - lovely city.

So going back to this:

https://havenkbh.dk
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2017, 08:31:59 am »

So going back to this:

Iggy!

Looks really good that.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2017, 08:51:52 am »
Iggy!

Looks really good that.

It is a great line up.

Good beer.

4 of us going so should be ace.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:24 pm »
That Hoops LP is hitting the spot - like Real Estate if they recorded on Ariel Pink's VHS recorder.

Only really like one track on the actual new Real Estate album - Two Arrows is fantastic.

New Woods album good as ever - been going through their back catalogue and really think they've been underestimated. Remember them stealing the show opening for Kurt Vile at Sound Control in Manchester, think Kevin Morby was still in them then, fantastic band live. Only just got a copy of Bend Beyond, 'Size Meet sthe Sound' is an absolutely immense tune.

Also listening to The New Year and Porcelain Raft, both decent.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2017, 09:48:37 pm »
That Hoops LP is hitting the spot - like Real Estate if they recorded on Ariel Pink's VHS recorder.

Only really like one track on the actual new Real Estate album - Two Arrows is fantastic.

New Woods album good as ever - been going through their back catalogue and really think they've been underestimated. Remember them stealing the show opening for Kurt Vile at Sound Control in Manchester, think Kevin Morby was still in them then, fantastic band live. Only just got a copy of Bend Beyond, 'Size Meet sthe Sound' is an absolutely immense tune.

Also listening to The New Year and Porcelain Raft, both decent.

Woods is an EP though !

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: May 14, 2017, 12:36:33 am »
Woods is an EP though !

It's all debatable, 33 minutes is 6 minutes longer than Nashville Skyline, five minutes longer than Pink Moon and the same as Surfer Rosa and A Love Supreme, for example ;D

Seems to be my format at the moment, Rolling Blackouts is 6 tracks, half an hour, I'm feeling this extended extended play vibe... going to miss these when the album of the year poll happens!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #490 on: May 14, 2017, 06:31:42 pm »
It's all debatable, 33 minutes is 6 minutes longer than Nashville Skyline, five minutes longer than Pink Moon and the same as Surfer Rosa and A Love Supreme, for example ;D

Seems to be my format at the moment, Rolling Blackouts is 6 tracks, half an hour, I'm feeling this extended extended play vibe... going to miss these when the album of the year poll happens!

Good argument back man - haha

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #491 on: May 15, 2017, 12:30:33 am »

Is it really the track number and not the length/duration that counts? If an album was 33 minutes I'd put it on the list.  :wave

So going back to this:

Interesting, might be in for this as it's just across the bridge for me!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #492 on: May 15, 2017, 12:10:29 pm »
Im not sure these days how formats can be defiend in relation to time/vinyl formats....what exactly is an EP now?...old 7" format with 4 tracks, usually knocking out about 3 mins each...but now down load or CD could last  30 mins or longer!...Im not sure an EP acutally exists anymore. Actually as great as they where in the seventies ..'Spiral Scratch EP' is a defining piece of vinyl of the New Wave movement...and as a fan its great to get extra tracks between Lp's...I always felt they lacked the 'punch' of a 45 with just an  A and B side.

My view is there is a lack of quality control these days e.g. 16 track 'Lp's' usually mean 4 or 5 duff tracks or more....my view is 'less is more'....give me 30 mins of quality and no filler....

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: May 17, 2017, 04:38:41 pm »
Anyone heard of Cherry Glazerr? I stumbled on to Had Ten Dollarz when Spotify put it on for me as it does when something finishes. Great song, and they released an album in January that I'm giving a listen
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #494 on: May 17, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »
Anyone heard of Cherry Glazerr? I stumbled on to Had Ten Dollarz when Spotify put it on for me as it does when something finishes. Great song, and they released an album in January that I'm giving a listen
They're pretty cool.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #495 on: May 18, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »
Really like the Girlpool album, that Slowdive and Rolling Blackouts getting a lot of plays over the last couple of weeks

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #496 on: May 18, 2017, 07:45:14 pm »

Agree. If the Ramones could do a masterpiece in 35 minutes, all bands should. Hate these 80 minute albums bands are doing now. Music needs to be more disposable and less self indulgent. There is just so much new stuff, how do we listen to it all?
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #497 on: May 18, 2017, 08:05:59 pm »
Music needs to be more disposable
It really doesn't.

Music needs to be whatever it needs to be, for whomever it's for. There's no uniformal 'should'.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #498 on: May 18, 2017, 08:42:19 pm »
I always read 'pop' was disposable...yet I can still sing along to 'pop' records I heared 40 years ago ( and ones that I dont even recall being fond of)..and they can trigger memories long forgotton.

This isnt about nostalgia , its how music can resonate through your life therefore never assume its disposable, though I agree theres are very few LP's in the modern era that justify more than 30 or 40 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:50:42 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:40 pm »
I refer specifically to popular music which by degrees is all pulp. I don't even listen to stuff I purchased last year, let alone that life changing stuff I bought in my youth.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: May 19, 2017, 06:41:57 pm »
1) Spot interesting festival line up that you haven't heard of before (the States)
2) Spot headliners (tick)
3) Spot funny name for a band.
4) Find on Spotify
5) See new release 2017
6) test 1st song for a taste
7) You haven't got long so go straight to a song title that makes you smile
8 ) Fall in love a bit

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4XNuua9HAsE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4XNuua9HAsE</a>

EDIT: The rest of the album is glorious. The Residents meets 90's Rave blah blah. Brought a big grin to the face. Have to find out a bit more about them, but this is from an album called 'Total Shit!', released very recently. On Spotify. Good luck with knocking this out of my top 10 this year.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:01:17 pm by Filler. »

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2017, 11:08:41 pm »
Anyone give a listen to the new Alex G? One of the craziest records I've heard all year. So much variation. So great.

Online Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #502 on: May 20, 2017, 11:56:40 am »
Anyone give a listen to the new Alex G? One of the craziest records I've heard all year. So much variation. So great.

Yeah. Gave it a spin last night. You're right. A collage of sounds from front to back. It's getting rave reviews, too. Another one you might like is the new Spencer Radcliffe album. Pavement vibes. It's well put together.

New Do Make Say Think sounds brilliant on first listen.

Mr Evans. Think I've found something to fill our Enablers void. Oxbow's 'Thin Black Duke'. Very interesting record.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: May 20, 2017, 05:07:07 pm »

I've been linking to it on here a few times. Told You I'd Be With The Guys was my #1 single from last year. Like the album too but that single is still a notch above the rest of the material in my view.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #504 on: May 21, 2017, 09:26:58 pm »
Yeah. Gave it a spin last night. You're right. A collage of sounds from front to back. It's getting rave reviews, too. Another one you might like is the new Spencer Radcliffe album. Pavement vibes. It's well put together.

New Do Make Say Think sounds brilliant on first listen.

Mr Evans. Think I've found something to fill our Enablers void. Oxbow's 'Thin Black Duke'. Very interesting record.
I'd heard of that but forgot to listen. Sounds like it's something I'd be into. Thanks.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: May 21, 2017, 11:31:13 pm »

Yeah man, this is pretty cool. Not enough indie-country-jazz-hardcore-psychedelic-dream pop bands about at the minute.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #506 on: May 22, 2017, 09:36:42 am »
very fond of this....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cknh9n3yK9w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cknh9n3yK9w</a>

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #507 on: May 22, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »
Yeah man, this is pretty cool. Not enough indie-country-jazz-hardcore-psychedelic-dream pop bands about at the minute.

;D

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #508 on: May 22, 2017, 04:42:12 pm »
New Shabazz Palaces release out there on Sub Pop

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #509 on: May 22, 2017, 06:57:27 pm »
Hahaha

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2017, 10:03:17 pm »
The new Linkin Park album is embarassing, holy crap it's so bad :no
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: May 28, 2017, 08:34:28 pm »
Really enjoying J. Spaceman/Follakzoid's 'London Sessions'. I really liked the last Follakzoid LP, and it's nice to hear Spaceman doing something new, think Spiritualized have had largely diminishing returns since Ladies and Gentleman... personally so great to hear something a bit more leftfield. Bit of a jam band Mezzanine vibe, plus the South American influence grooving through.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #512 on: May 29, 2017, 04:23:34 pm »
Been laid up all weekend with a mouth infection thanks to my wisdom tooth digging into my cheek  :(

Antibiotics finally kicking in and starting to feel normal again but that is probably the drugs  8)

I probably shouldn't go tonight but I am off to see Ryley Walker.

Evan Dando cancelled his London gig recently and I couldn't make The Charlatans album launch show so it has been a while since I went to one.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: May 31, 2017, 03:02:57 pm »
Yowzer!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IxCdH-uUvB4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IxCdH-uUvB4</a>

Miguel Baptista1 month ago
You do know this video is on a capitalist medium..... right ?

MusicalComrade1 month ago
Yeah smh man it's pretty hypocritical that those medieval peasants revolting against feudalism were using tools and weapons created under feudalism

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #514 on: May 31, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »
Really enjoying J. Spaceman/Follakzoid's 'London Sessions'. I really liked the last Follakzoid LP, and it's nice to hear Spaceman doing something new, think Spiritualized have had largely diminishing returns since Ladies and Gentleman... personally so great to hear something a bit more leftfield. Bit of a jam band Mezzanine vibe, plus the South American influence grooving through.
On Sacred Bones as well, always worth a peruse through their back catalogue

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: May 31, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »
On Sacred Bones as well, always worth a peruse through their back catalogue

Oh yeah, great label. I'm eagerly awaiting a new Amen Dunes record, absolutely love them.

There's loads of good labels around at the moment actually - heartening to see.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #516 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:42 pm »
Oh yeah, great label. I'm eagerly awaiting a new Amen Dunes record, absolutely love them.

There's loads of good labels around at the moment actually - heartening to see.
I've not actually checked him out, Exploded View, from last year is absolutely superb.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #517 on: June 1, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »
Ryley Walker was fucking magic the other night.

His band were so tight but also loved a spontaneous jam too.

The drugs I was on for my mouth infection kicked in too and I locked into the jams.  8)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #518 on: June 1, 2017, 09:48:43 pm »
Liam Gallagher's 'debut' single, as mentioned in the other thread:

'Wall of Glass':

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YdJc7-ZEuT0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YdJc7-ZEuT0</a>

---

Steve Lamacq also gave a first play of a new track from The Cribs earlier this evening - they've been teasing new material for a couple of weeks now, and had a limited single release was issued last week.  The new track, 'In Your Palace' can be heard from about 23 minutes here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072lb2.

They've also been announced as playing a show with the Manics in the summer:

« Last Edit: June 1, 2017, 09:51:03 pm by jackh »

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #519 on: June 3, 2017, 10:37:42 am »

Reckon you'll like the new Beach Fossils LP. Similar vibes to Hoops and Real Estate.

New Thunder Dreamer album is really nice, too.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2017, 10:51:24 am by Alonso_The_Assassin »