Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 26148 times)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
American Gods
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:13 pm »

HBO is planning yet another high-profile fantasy series. American Gods, based on Neil Gaiman’s best-selling novel, is currently in development.

Production duties will fall to Playtone, the production company started by Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman. Films in Playtone’s resume include Hanks-heavy features like Cast Away and The Polar Express, not to mention high profile HBO projects such as Band of Brothers, The Pacific and John Adams.

The series is currently being planned out in no less than six seasons of 10-12 episodes each. The budget for each season will be in the $40 million range, with a heavy emphasis on CG. The earliest that American Gods would grace the airwaves would be 2013.

http://screenrant.com/neil-gaiman-american-gods-hbo-6-seasons-mcrid-119432/

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
Re: American Gods
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2012, 12:55:24 am »
Anyone read the book?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2012, 03:20:29 am »
What's the premise?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2012, 03:21:37 am »
Anyone read the book?

Iv'e got the book... not read it though  :wave
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline Mnemo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2012, 07:32:13 am »
Excellent book. Be interesting to see how they play the gods, myths an folklore.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2012, 08:15:28 am »
Great book, more info at Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods
Be interesting to see what they do with this.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #6 on: March 1, 2012, 12:57:52 pm »
bit all over the place with the mythology it seems
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7 on: March 1, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »
Anyone read the book?

Yes, more than once, loved it.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 1, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »
I must read this. I assume the author's preferred text is the way to go?

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2012, 12:17:25 pm »
Never come across this before, sounds like something I'd enjoy reading though. Only thing I've ever read by Gaiman before was his collaboration with Pratchett in 'Good Omens'. Enjoyed that.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2012, 03:02:53 pm »
Never come across this before, sounds like something I'd enjoy reading though. Only thing I've ever read by Gaiman before was his collaboration with Pratchett in 'Good Omens'. Enjoyed that.

Do it, it's fantastic. This and Sandman being my two fave Gaiman things.

Sad he gave up on comics though - his return to the medium, resurrecting Kirby's The Eternals, was pretty woeful in truth.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2012, 04:20:21 pm »
Loved the book. Hope they can do it justice instead the typical generic modified shite that get pumped out of Hollywood nowadays.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2012, 05:06:11 pm »
Loved the book. Hope they can do it justice instead the typical generic modified shite that get pumped out of Hollywood nowadays.
It's on HBO.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2012, 06:18:05 pm »
Great book. If they can pull off some of the imagery it will be outrageous.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »
It's on HBO.

Yeah, just noticed that. Will still probably be as shit as I had anticipated, tho. Don't really like HBO's stuff, but I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. They have a potential hit on their hands.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 06:53:15 pm by Renato »

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #15 on: March 2, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »
Yeah, just noticed that. Will still be as shit as I had anticipated, tho. Don't really like HBO's stuff.

YER WHA?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #16 on: March 2, 2012, 06:53:14 pm »
Yeah, just noticed that. Will still be as shit as I had anticipated, tho. Don't really like HBO's stuff.

Really?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 2, 2012, 06:59:26 pm »
Yeah, just noticed that. Will still probably be as shit as I had anticipated, tho. Don't really like HBO's stuff, but I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. They have a potential hit on their hands.
And for that reason, I'm out. Time to lock the doors to RAWk Towers.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 2, 2012, 07:00:07 pm »
Actually, just because I like fishing with dynamite...

What do you think of The Wire, Renato?

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #19 on: March 2, 2012, 07:12:48 pm »
Actually, just because I like fishing with dynamite...

What do you think of The Wire, Renato?

Used to think it was shite because I was too thick to understand the complex plot and I couldn't make sense of some of the language but when I actually sat down to watch from the beginning I started to like it. Haven't seen any of the episodes in a while now, but i found myself making room in me schedule to sit down and watch it on the box, which is something of a rarity as I think most shows on TV are fucking horrible. Have heard some people say it's the greatest show of all time - I don't agree and think that's a bit over the top but maybe that's because my opinion of it was tainted by that first bad impression.

« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 07:15:31 pm by Renato »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 2, 2012, 07:17:45 pm »
Boo, let me have my fun!

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #21 on: March 4, 2012, 04:10:09 am »
Who should play Shadow? Zooey Deschanel for Laura, definitely.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #22 on: March 4, 2012, 11:45:12 pm »
Just started this last week,and i'm enjoying it.Only other Gaiman was book i've read was Stardust,and i really liked it.I'm a big sap at heart. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 5, 2012, 06:41:19 am »
Whoa apparently Neil Gaiman sees The Rock as Shadow.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 5, 2012, 07:56:31 am »
I'm not much of a fan of HBO either. Apart, obviously, from Sex and the City, The Sopranos, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Treme, Hung, Luck, Band of Brothers, Rome, Carnivale and True Blood. Those aside, what have HBO ever produced for us?
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 5, 2012, 01:24:09 pm »
Flight of the Conchords. But I can see how that's not to everyone's taste.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #26 on: March 5, 2012, 08:43:31 pm »
Funnily enough that's who i thought of.Tall,muscular,taciturn,i've never seen the WWA,so for  me he's an actor.not the best but still an actor.Given the chance he could be ok.I'm only a quarter of the way through the book so i might change my mind.

Who come's to mind for you?

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #27 on: March 5, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »

Well, Neil also sees the novel as capable of stretching over 65 or so hours of tv, so he'll probably take all the help he can get. Plus, the hero in the book was a big strong man.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #28 on: March 6, 2012, 08:02:39 am »
Well, Neil also sees the novel as capable of stretching over 65 or so hours of tv, so he'll probably take all the help he can get. Plus, the hero in the book was a big strong man.
I agree with you both. Odd as it first seemed, Mr Johnson would be pretty much spot on. He was quite good in Southland Tales, all told.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 07:51:41 pm »
looks boss, just from the picture, i have no idea what its about.

if its good enough for HBO, its good enough for me.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:27 pm »
Must get myself a copy of this and give it a read.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #31 on: April 8, 2012, 07:44:54 pm »
I'm not much of a fan of HBO either. Apart, obviously, from Sex and the City, The Sopranos, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Treme, Hung, Luck, Band of Brothers, Rome, Carnivale and True Blood. Those aside, what have HBO ever produced for us?

That's quite a list, mate!  :P

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #32 on: April 8, 2012, 10:54:55 pm »
Dwayne Johnston is not playing the Shadow role.The part will have to be played by someone who can really act.The story is Homeric in it's scope and vision,Hbo are really going to have their work cut out to bring this to the screen properly.

I just don't see Johnston having the acting ability to go from being a go-fer to carrying the storyline,and basically becoming a Christ figure.

I won't say any more,but I'd recommend this book to anyone,it's that good.

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 11:58:02 pm »
Took the recommendation and got the book, halfway through it (so no spoilers please) and am enjoying it very much. Really excellent. It's one of those books that makes you late for everything because you just have to read one more page then another and another........  :)

Can't really see the Rock playing Shadow though, think as a character he's a bit more complex than the Rock can pull off.

Cheers again for the recommendation guys, anyone not read it yet, would really suggest you do so.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34 on: June 2, 2012, 07:31:00 am »
Took the recommendation and got the book, halfway through it (so no spoilers please) and am enjoying it very much. Really excellent. It's one of those books that makes you late for everything because you just have to read one more page then another and another........  :)

Can't really see the Rock playing Shadow though, think as a character he's a bit more complex than the Rock can pull off.

Cheers again for the recommendation guys, anyone not read it yet, would really suggest you do so.
A bit more?  ;) I did think The Rock would be a good pick to play Shadow.but the further you get into the story it's obvious that he's never pulling it off,I think Gaiman got it wrong as well.

As for the tv series Hbo have done a great job with the first two A Song Of  Fire And Ice book's,so hopefully they get the visual's right and this could be brilliant tv.

As for the casting,who would you pick to play Shadow?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 2, 2012, 08:17:53 am »
Christian Bale?
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #36 on: June 2, 2012, 02:22:58 pm »
think
Christian Bale?
That would be brilliant.I'd watch Bale in anything,I think he's one of the best actor's of his generation.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:34 pm »
So, HBO dropped it, and Starz picked it up. Shadow has been cast - Rickie Whittle.

The companion book - Anansi Boys will be incorporated, to expand the whole thing. It should be out later this year.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2016, 01:55:34 pm »
So.....the first look at the upcoming series...hmm....it looks visually pleasing, has some decent actors in it-time as usual will tell.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oyoXURn9oK0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oyoXURn9oK0</a>

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 03:19:12 pm »
This is debuting in April, apparently.