539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440234 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #22560 on: May 21, 2019, 06:07:20 pm »
Wouldn't pay any attention to the biased MSM though, would you?

Its not bias when you can see them say it thats called "fact"
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #22561 on: May 21, 2019, 06:13:06 pm »
Its not bias when you can see them say it thats called "fact"

If only you applied this same test to the shite that comes out of Jezza's mouth.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22562 on: May 21, 2019, 06:16:53 pm »
Fucking hell... where do you even start?

Wouldn't bother with BBC HYS, I dont even believe some of those comments are genuine, probably bots or some other paid service

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #22563 on: May 21, 2019, 07:28:53 pm »
MPs of every stripe out in force announcing opposition. She's done a truly remarkable thing, aiming a policy at a non-existent (outside government) voting bloc and as a result firming up the resentment against her efforts.

Sadly it's pretty much what Jezza has been up to with his "not the party for the 52% or the 48%" waffle.

The major party leaders politically or personally unable to stop themselves ostracising the electorate. An insurgent political force with a popular figurehead simple message of betrayal.

"It couldn't happen here".
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22564 on: May 21, 2019, 07:37:33 pm »
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1130537915799527424

Nigel Frottage to be examined over Ł450,000 payment from Arron Banks

The European Parliament's advisory committee will look at whether Mr Frottage broke rules by accepting funding from Leave campaigner Arron Banks.

Nigel Frottage said he did not declare the Ł450,000 sum to the European Parliament because he was about to leave politics and had been seeking a new life in the US.

The committee will examine the case before advising the European Parliament President Antonio Tajani.

The committee can meet on 4 June.

MEPs found to have acted improperly can be reprimanded, their parliamentary allowance can be withheld or they can be banned from some activities.

The payments from Arron Banks to Nigel Frottage were revealed by a Channel 4 News investigation.

Mr Frottage confirmed that he was not talking to Channel 4 News, describing them as "political activists", and said he would not allow the broadcaster to attend Brexit Party events.

The editor of Channel 4 News, Ben de Pear, said on Twitter he hoped "to resolve our access ban... ASAP".

Separately, the Electoral Commission has defended visiting The Brexit Party's offices to review the party's online fundraising activities.

Party leader Nigel Frottage accused the watchdog of acting "in bad faith" and "interfering in the electoral process".

But the watchdog said there had been "significant public concern" about the way the party raises funds.

Responding to Mr Frottage's comments, an Electoral Commission spokesperson said there was no evidence of electoral offences, but added: "We want to satisfy ourselves that the party's systems are robust."

The Brexit Party said it was "pleased, but not surprised" by the commission's announcement that it had not seen evidence of electoral offences.

On Monday, former Labour Prime Minister Gordon Brown attacked The Brexit Party for receiving a large amount of money via what he called "undeclared, untraceable payments".

However, Mr Frottage dismissed that attack as a "smear" and suggested there might be collusion between the Electoral Commission and Mr Brown.

"I'm certain of it - I'm certain the establishment are working together," he told the BBC.

He said the commission had declared itself "absolutely happy with our system" last week, but had changed position "in an act of bad faith, beautifully timed to coincide with Gordon Brown's speech".

The watchdog said in response: "Our regulatory work during this campaign - for the European parliamentary elections - has not deviated from our usual approach.

"Our decision to visit is not related to comments made by the former prime minister."

The commission said it was "independent and impartial", and regulated "proportionate to the issue, regardless of a party's politics".

Under the rules governing donations to political parties, amounts below Ł500 do not have to be declared.

An official donation of Ł500 or more must be given by a "permissible donor", who should either be somebody listed on the UK electoral roll or a business registered at Companies House and operating in the UK.

At an event in Glasgow on Monday, Mr Brown said there was no way of telling whether donations to The Brexit Party - which can be made through PayPal - come from British or foreign sources, and therefore he suspected the system was being abused.

Defending his party's practises, Mr Frottage said: "We make it very clear, we only want your money if you're on the UK electoral roll."

"We're looking for irregularities, if we see things that have come from overseas, we simply send it back," he said.

The Brexit Party has updated its website since Mr Brown's speech to say that those making donations or becoming registered supporters must comply with the permissible donor requirements.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48354209

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22565 on: May 21, 2019, 07:46:54 pm »
Video

.⁦@theresa_may⁩ tolerating my annoying questions for one of the last times - and she refuses to commit to hold referendum if MPs vote for such, while also being categoric she is not offering Labour’s desired permanent customs union.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1130886031333613568

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22566 on: May 21, 2019, 08:41:53 pm »
Some of the Beebs top rated HYS:

5. Posted by Alexander Nevermind on 25 minutes ago

'Once in a generation vote' you said.

'The Government will implement what you decide' you said.

'No deal is better than a bad deal' you said 108 times.

Sorry Tories, no more. You can no longer be trusted. You have truly lost this voter, and everyone one I talk to around me. If we get Jeremy so be it.

I have to vote Brexit Party from here on in, simply to have a voice.

1. Posted by Watching the slow death of democracy on 26 minutes ago

Let me tell you something Tessa. Brexit will not be stopped, and if need be Frottage will lead this country out. Whatever stitch up you force on us, we will undo. We are British. 

4. Posted by Math Man on 25 minutes ago

Her bold new deal is nothing more than a BrINO document with a Remainers CU and Referendum.
A truly bold new deal would include;
1. Really leave the EU
2. UK open to free trade deals with the world
3. A major investment fund for UK industry and commerce
4. UK being an independent nation state confident in its people
MM

8. Posted by BMT-An Alternative View on 24 minutes ago

No deal, leave now, end this misery. We've already had a referendum and the answer was clear for all to see.

9. Posted by Yorkshire Mark on 28 minutes ago

The EU will charge Łbns each year for a customs union. We will have to take migrants too, hardly Brexit.

The EU will not give the UK a free trade deal in the hope Corbyn will force us to concede defeat and remain in the EU, but without any rebate.

Therefore the only way forward is to leave the EU then see if they will offer a deal. If not, so be it. Japanese cars and wine from Oz it is.
Yorkshire Mikes playing his part to keep the Gammon's angry, I don't believe he actually believes most of the points he's making.

9. Posted by Yorkshire Mark on 28 minutes ago

The EU will charge Łbns each year for a customs union. We will have to take migrants too, hardly Brexit.
Since when did members of the customs union contribute to the EU budget, they don't. FOM applies to the single market not the customs union.

The EU will not give the UK a free trade deal in the hope Corbyn will force us to concede defeat and remain in the EU, but without any rebate.

Therefore the only way forward is to leave the EU then see if they will offer a deal. If not, so be it. Japanese cars and wine from Oz it is.

We will have left the EU many years before we agree on any trade deal so Corbyn won't even be around when the Brexit free trade deal is signed.
So the EU are going to take away our rebate if we remain in the EU. getting even more absurd Mike.
One of the biggest points of all is his delusion about walking away without a deal and wait for the EU to come running offering us a deal. he probably believes this. walking away without a deal means no WA, the EU won't even discuss a free trade deal unless we honour the WA. I would of loved to see the humiliation our politicians would suffer when the s,, hits the fan, sadly we will all feel the effects, some will pay a heavy price so we can never allow it to happen.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:45:55 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22567 on: May 21, 2019, 08:45:28 pm »
Yeah, this is the reason for the "vote this through or stop brexit" line - May wants to be able to walk out of office with either this passed ("done what I set out to do") or be able to let the public pin the blame on specific MPs who 'voted to stop Brexit' etc.

Beeb's Laura Kuenssberg on it: "This all feels very very bad for Number 10 tonight - an MP who has been v loyal up til now texts to say 'she has to go. Now'. A senior tory says 'PM just got even with MPs who defied her' - she will leave a 'poisoned legacy' with a 'scorched earth of brexit promises'"

It's not like it's over anything important though, so it's all absolutely fine.

I really can see her moving to revoke. Something about what she's doing. Don't know why though because she lies and dissembles like it's going out of fashion.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22568 on: May 21, 2019, 09:03:34 pm »
Beeb's Laura Kuenssberg on it: "This all feels very very bad for Number 10 tonight - an MP who has been v loyal up til now texts to say 'she has to go. Now'. A senior tory says 'PM just got even with MPs who defied her' - she will leave a 'poisoned legacy' with a 'scorched earth of brexit promises'"

It's not like it's over anything important though, so it's all absolutely fine.

I really can see her moving to revoke. Something about what she's doing. Don't know why though because she lies and dissembles like it's going out of fashion.

Really? She's simply going to do a Cameron and walk away from it all IMO, which is ironic considering the number of times we've been told by her sympathisers that the country has great respect for her heroic and selfless act in stepping up to fix the mess Dave left.

PM Boris being forced to resign in the wake of backing the wrong side in a 2nd referendum would be a fitting end for him.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22569 on: May 21, 2019, 09:11:38 pm »
ERG have just met and it was unanimous; the 40-odd who turned up said they would vote against it. Geoffrey Clifton-Brown also said he would vote against it (he’s voted for the deal every single time) > I can’t see how they bring this deal back

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1130900913563029504

Hahaha

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22570 on: May 21, 2019, 09:16:09 pm »
One - the government will seek to conclude alternative arrangements to replace the backstop by December 2020, so that it never needs to be used.

Two - a commitment that, should the backstop come into force, the government will ensure that Great Britain will stay aligned with Northern Ireland.

Nice contradiction Prime Minister
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22571 on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:32 pm »
Really? She's simply going to do a Cameron and walk away from it all IMO, which is ironic considering the number of times we've been told by her sympathisers that the country has great respect for her heroic and selfless act in stepping up to fix the mess Dave left.

PM Boris being forced to resign in the wake of backing the wrong side in a 2nd referendum would be a fitting end for him.

If she were going to walk away then she's had plenty of time since the first meaningful vote got caned. She's clearly not up for 'no deal'. She obviously could be forced out (although 'how' is another matter). Don't know. Just keep going back to her being bloody evasive about revocation vs 'no deal' when Yvette Cooper asked her in the Liaison Committee. If you want some tatters of a legacy then you don't enable the thing which leads to no 'winners' at all, I suppose. Plus I reckon she just hates the bulk of the Tory party so it would be a nice final 'fuck you'. ;)
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #22572 on: May 21, 2019, 10:18:48 pm »
British steel, project fear? #shitgettingreal
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22573 on: May 21, 2019, 10:24:49 pm »
British steel, project fear? #shitgettingreal

Most people dont give a shit. As Frottage says, for richer or for poorer, the UK voted for Brexit.

Most people wont admit they were wrong as they are mainly a bunch of idiotic, stupid bellends. Its why Frottage and his party will win on Thursday and why this country is fucked, thanks to its high proportion of dickheads.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:26:57 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22574 on: May 21, 2019, 10:36:53 pm »
Most people dont give a shit. As Frottage says, for richer or for poorer, the UK voted for Brexit.

Most people wont admit they were wrong as they are mainly a bunch of idiotic, stupid bellends. Its why Frottage and his party will win on Thursday and why this country is fucked, thanks to its high proportion of dickheads.
I could have a nuanced argument with you about that point of view for hours. But deep down I mainly agree with you
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22575 on: May 21, 2019, 10:40:18 pm »
The big question is what happens when May goes.

Talk today be Tory MPs is that the next Brexit PM will, simply suspend parliament to avoid parliament voting against no deal again.

That’s genuinely terrifying if I’m honest.  Talk about upholding democracy 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22576 on: May 21, 2019, 10:49:08 pm »
There's enough MPs that are against no deal to make sure that doesn't happen. They'll find some arcane law/precedent to stop it.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22577 on: May 21, 2019, 10:49:37 pm »
There's enough MPs that are against no deal to make sure that doesn't happen. They'll find some arcane law/precedent to stop it.
We hope....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22578 on: May 21, 2019, 10:52:03 pm »
The big question is what happens when May goes.

Talk today be Tory MPs is that the next Brexit PM will, simply suspend parliament to avoid parliament voting against no deal again.

That’s genuinely terrifying if I’m honest.  Talk about upholding democracy 

Dont worry, the MP’s will get their 5 minutes of TV fame telling everyone how scary it all is.

Maybe someone will remind them about why the fuck they decided to vote for a referendum and then vote through Article 50? Knobs.

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #22579 on: May 21, 2019, 11:17:13 pm »

i was one of them :butt

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22580 on: May 21, 2019, 11:48:34 pm »
Snowflakes crying about milkshakes..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22581 on: May 22, 2019, 01:11:17 am »
Dont worry, the MP’s will get their 5 minutes of TV fame telling everyone how scary it all is.

Maybe someone will remind them about why the fuck they decided to vote for a referendum and then vote through Article 50? Knobs.
It's all in the history books,the hard right were allowed to dictate public opinion, they were allowed to convince the public that voting against the triggering of ART 50 was refusing to accept the referendum result. how were they allowed to run riot dictating public opinion? The leader of the opposition had no arguments. I wouldn't mind but one of the first statements by Cameron after the referendum was to order the impact reports into how leaving the EU will affect us in all areas. it's not hindsight to say we should have waited till we had much more information before we triggered ART 50. the public shouldn't be arguing for the Labour leadership to argue this point, the Labour leader should have been ramming this point home himself. the Labour leader said, "Labour will not stand in the way of the triggering of ART 50" without having a clue what the impact of Brexit would be, without having a clue on whether the Tories had a plan or the slightest idea if they knew what they were doing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:15:02 am by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #22582 on: May 22, 2019, 06:36:55 am »

Indeed. Whilst there are still Tories wheeling out the "grasping the Brexit opportunities" line, The Brexit Party campaigning is all about defending democracy from the 'shadowy elites'.

"You voted for the incoming shitstorm, and now MPs are trying to take it away! It's your shitstorm! Vote BP to make sure you get your shitstorm!"
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22583 on: May 22, 2019, 07:05:38 am »
It's all in the history books,the hard right were allowed to dictate public opinion, they were allowed to convince the public that voting against the triggering of ART 50 was refusing to accept the referendum result. how were they allowed to run riot dictating public opinion? The leader of the opposition had no arguments. I wouldn't mind but one of the first statements by Cameron after the referendum was to order the impact reports into how leaving the EU will affect us in all areas. it's not hindsight to say we should have waited till we had much more information before we triggered ART 50. the public shouldn't be arguing for the Labour leadership to argue this point, the Labour leader should have been ramming this point home himself. the Labour leader said, "Labour will not stand in the way of the triggering of ART 50" without having a clue what the impact of Brexit would be, without having a clue on whether the Tories had a plan or the slightest idea if they knew what they were doing.

“The British people have made their decision. We must respect that result and Article 50 has to be invoked now so that we negotiate an exit from European Union." - Jeremy Corbyn, 24th June 2016. The first MP to call for the immediate invoking of article 50. And with the above, the stage is set for equating the ASAP invoking of article 50 and subsequent exit from the EU with respecting the decision of the British people.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #22584 on: May 22, 2019, 07:35:59 am »

They then get the Brexit and the government they deserve - while the rest of us are expected to bend over and accept it. Yay democracy! It's all for the greater good! :no

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #22585 on: May 22, 2019, 08:28:58 am »
This is quite some watch - Brexit-supporting MP ends up in a slanging match with a complete lunatic, ends up saying “people like you make me want to rejoin the EU”.

This is why you can never appease these people.

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1130964633442017287

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22586 on: May 22, 2019, 08:58:30 am »
They then get the Brexit and the government they deserve - while the rest of us are expected to bend over and accept it. Yay democracy! It's all for the greater good! :no

Its only changing when the older voters who are driving the Brexit vote are no longer here or we suffer a massive economic meltdown. Other than that, the idea that there will be some amazing leader or message that will make people change their minds is for the birds.

Whilst we have this moronic public, it will still be heavily backing Brexit.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22587 on: May 22, 2019, 09:08:16 am »
This is quite some watch - Brexit-supporting MP ends up in a slanging match with a complete lunatic, ends up saying “people like you make me want to rejoin the EU”.

Wow. That's a full-on personality disorder on display there. Like the Monty Python sketch embedded a little down on the Twitter thread, there is zero possibility of engaging in a sensible argument with people like that. I almost (but don't) feel sorry for David Davies. He wasn't a whole lot better himself.

The argument sketch:

https://vimeo.com/25921512
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22588 on: May 22, 2019, 09:13:49 am »
i was one of them :butt
Sorry to hear that. But, to fair to yourself, plenty of people who's job it is to know better (MPs) voted for it too, and most of them still know no better. The important thing is that we all are willing to admit being wrong and to learn from our mistakes. This dogmatic shower of simpletons we have as MPs are a disgrace.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #22589 on: May 22, 2019, 09:16:03 am »

I've just seen that. Hopefully the veil is falling from the eyes of more moderate Leavers and they can see the monster they've unleashed amongst the public that they can't now control (see also: The Republicans stoking Tea Party-style resentment in their base).

Nothing sensible will ever be good enough. It has to be the hardest of all possible Brexits or betrayal has happened.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22590 on: May 22, 2019, 09:20:39 am »
So, what are people's thoughts here about what May's latest fuck-up means for the Remain campaign? Will it hasten her departure and result in an even more obnoxious, hard-Brexiteering PM to take over? And what then?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22591 on: May 22, 2019, 09:24:18 am »
So, what are people's thoughts here about what May's latest fuck-up means for the Remain campaign? Will it hasten her departure and result in an even more obnoxious, hard-Brexiteering PM to take over? And what then?

Yes, and it means soft Brexit will be off life support. The Lisa Nandy and Stephen Kinnocks of this world will be forced to choose backing a no deal Brexit as the only way to "honour" the result of 2016, or grow a pair and back Remain. My heart bleeds.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22592 on: May 22, 2019, 09:31:41 am »
Its only changing when the older voters who are driving the Brexit vote are no longer here or we suffer a massive economic meltdown. Other than that, the idea that there will be some amazing leader or message that will make people change their minds is for the birds.

Whilst we have this moronic public, it will still be heavily backing Brexit.

Christ on a bike how many old people do you think there are in this country 17+ million is it?

Sick of the need to blame one section of society wake up will ya all ages and gender voted for it sadly not just the over 65's in this country this need to aportion blame rather than deal with the reasons for them voting for it and working on answering their problems is exactly why this bloody country is so toxic right now.

I think you also need to move away from the notion that anyone who voted to leave is a moron as again if you dont listen to them you cannot hope to resolve their attitudes .
towards the E.U.

Just for reference i voted to remain as did most of my over 65 friends ( anecdotal i know but its a funny old world)
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22593 on: May 22, 2019, 09:42:31 am »
Christ on a bike how many old people do you think there are in this country 17+ million is it?

Sick of the need to blame one section of society wake up will ya all ages and gender voted for it sadly not just the over 65's in this country this need to aportion blame rather than deal with the reasons for them voting for it and working on answering their problems is exactly why this bloody country is so toxic right now.

I think you also need to move away from the notion that anyone who voted to leave is a moron as again if you dont listen to them you cannot hope to resolve their attitudes .
towards the E.U.

Just for reference i voted to remain as did most of my over 65 friends ( anecdotal i know but its a funny old world)

That age range overwhelmingly voted to leave the EU. I am not doubting you personally but those are the facts. The older voters are mainly voters for Leave.

As for convincing them otherwise, it cannot be done. It hasnt been able to be done by politicians, business leaders, scientists, celebrities or family members and friends. The arguments have been made and you cannot reason with them at all.

All that is left is for things to be imposed on them. So revocation of Article 50 and tell them to shut up. Or we enact it, suffer the consequences and then ask to rejoin.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22594 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:54 am »

That's because they wanted to watch the Tories fuck up Brexit and give themselves a pathway to power, party interests before country. The thing is that they didn't really think it through as they can't sit on the sidelines forever and at some point Labour would have been dragged into it anyway and would also have had to take responsibility for Brexit. Its come to the point where the Labour party are also being badly damaged by Brexit, despite their claims, it is no longer just a 'Tory Brexit mess'.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22595 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:07 am »
That age range overwhelmingly voted to leave the EU. I am not doubting you personally but those are the facts. The older voters are mainly voters for Leave.

As for convincing them otherwise, it cannot be done. It hasnt been able to be done by politicians, business leaders, scientists, celebrities or family members and friends. The arguments have been made and you cannot reason with them at all.

All that is left is for things to be imposed on them. So revocation of Article 50 and tell them to shut up. Or we enact it, suffer the consequences and then ask to rejoin.

You think disregarding the reasons they voted leave will work, you dont tell half the country to deal with it and shut up because thats exactly what we as remainers have complained that the leavers say to us, you need to find a compromise that will bring this country back together not split it further, like it or not the vote was as close to a fifty-fifty split as you can get, so it needs to use an old termm more jaw , jaw, and less war, war within our society.

Again you are saying there are roughly 17 million old people in this country and they all voted leave can you see how stupid that notion is , essex white van drivers voted leave , people on the breadline told that it was all the EU's fault voted leave , people voted leave as a protest vote.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22596 on: May 22, 2019, 10:18:39 am »
Again you are saying there are roughly 17 million old people in this country and they all voted leave can you see how stupid that notion is , essex white van drivers voted leave , people on the breadline told that it was all the EU's fault voted leave , people voted leave as a protest vote.

No one has ever said that all old people voted for Brexit.

The fact is a large majority did though. That does not mean people are casting aspersions on you.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #22597 on: May 22, 2019, 10:23:39 am »
you need to find a compromise that will bring this country back together not split it further,

There is no compromise, because the deep divide is one of warring ideologies. Remain and Leave are just the easily-applied labels to increasingly opposed sets of values that have become more entrenched across society.

Bigger vs smaller government
Safer regulated society vs personal freedoms
Cultural evolution vs adherence to traditions
More open borders vs controlled populations
Supra-national organisations vs local oversight
Multiculturalism vs ethnostates
Etc...

How do you propose compromise when it's not just minor areas of disagreement but diametrically opposed views on how the entire world should function?

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22598 on: May 22, 2019, 10:27:37 am »
Is there such a thing as a Cold Civil War?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22599 on: May 22, 2019, 10:41:02 am »
A compromise (towards the Brexity end of the scale) is precisely what Parliament is rejecting. The options have to be put to the people and the young (generalisation though it may be) have to get out to vote, if they feel strongly about Remain.