Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1807962 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #16680 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:27 pm »
Oxlade-Chamberlain started both Champions league games against City in 17/18 (and the 4-3 in the league), and the first against Roma too, before his unfortunate injury. He was probably our best midfielder during that time and a regular in the big games. Beside the point perhaps, but just wanted to mention that.

Ox was good early on, but he was given a free license in a way the other two midfielders put extra shift for him. It was one of the reasons, why we got gassed in 2017-18, where we blew teams away, but often had trouble finishing games and in the last few minutes of games or in specific months where we were hit by injuries. Our midfield became wafer thin in terms of options by the time we got to the end of that season.

Last season, Ox was barely involved, yet our other midfielders managed our best ever league season in history in terms of points and also won Number 6. Fluke or they were extremely effective? You make the pick.

And the poster you replied to did also say: "The problem with our midfield, on the few occasions in 2+ years when there has been a problem, hasn’t been individuals so much as balance" so not sure why you believe he is being disrespectful towards anyone.

Did we really have a 'problem' in the last 2 years? If reaching 2 CL finals, winning 1 and getting to 97 points shows us having a 'problem', I'd love to have that problem every year for many years. Of course, it is disrespectful towards the players who achieved that.

For what it's worth, I think, paradoxically as I rated Fabinho as our best midfielder before his injury, that we've looked slightly better without him. Henderson has been as good if not even better as the number 6, and well, the balance in midfield is slightly different when we play can get either Chamberlain or Keita into the team. It's doesn't mean that Wijnadum, Fabinho and Henderson isn't a great midfield - they clearly dominate every opponents we've faced - but Keita in particular gives something extra to that. Our performances against Leicester, Salzburg, Sheffield (Milner, I know, but he plays more similar to Keita than Fabinho to me), and United have seen us move up another level, I think. Maybe that is just coincidence, and not down to the personell in midfield, but to me it looks like we managed to stay as compact and ruthless, while getting a few more percent out of the attack during this current run.

It's a great midfield, end of. There are no ifs and buts there. Keita might add more there, but unless he proves himself consistently on the pitch like the other 3 have, it's all a pipe dream. I wanted Keita so much here, but he's been up and down largely due to injuries. He's a great all round talent, but the other 3 are much better Liverpool players as of now, balance or otherwise, in all aspects. Milner doesn't play similar to Keita at all, not sure how you come to that conclusion. Milner drifts wide and plays as an auxiliary winger for the most part, Keita likes to dribble through the middle and then plays lay-offs. They're vastly different to each other.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16681 on: January 21, 2020, 07:26:20 pm »
Exactly. The fact that Klopp didn't play Coutinho much in midfield proves what he wants primarily from our midfield. But some people will keep going in circular arguments/criticism of our midfield despite Klopp's own opinion and multiple evidences to the contrary. It's basically their own fantasy of what a midfield should look like (and probable influenced by media/Man City - whom we are better than now), rather than what Klopp actually wants.

The fact Klopp didn’t trust a forward to play as an 8 in his system is proof he doesn’t want progressive 8s in the team? Not sure about this logic.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #16682 on: January 21, 2020, 07:26:43 pm »
Exactly. The fact that Klopp didn't play Coutinho much in midfield proves what he wants primarily from our midfield. But some people will keep going in circular arguments/criticism of our midfield despite Klopp's own opinion and multiple evidences to the contrary. It's basically their own fantasy of what a midfield should look like (and probable influenced by media/Man City - whom we are better than now), rather than what Klopp actually wants.

When it's nuanced, the midfield debate is valid. But a lot of the time it looks to me as just wanting Man City style attacking football when they're at their best, but without the bad parts (blips against poor opposition, vulneraribility on the counter, financial doping). Which is even more too good to be true than what we're already seeing. And if we suffer a spell of poor form the 'our midfield is a problem' narrative will be amplified ten times, on RAWK/the internet at least, as even if it's muted at the moment it's still the go to complaint whenever something goes wrong.

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16683 on: January 21, 2020, 07:29:17 pm »
Did we really have a 'problem' in the last 2 years? If reaching 2 CL finals, winning 1 and getting to 97 points shows us having a 'problem', I'd love to have that problem every year for many years. Of course, it is disrespectful towards the players who achieved that.

The context makes clear the ‘problems’ arise in specific moments and individual games, and yes on occasion we had ‘problems’ in that sense. Times we didn’t find ‘solutions’ like Klopp wanted. You’re being so deliberately obtuse here, and spinning posts in very unhelpful ways.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16684 on: January 21, 2020, 07:44:00 pm »
Expecting Klopp to criticise a midfield for not being as 'progressive' as they might be is an exercise in futility. He's never going to do that. He knows what Gini, Fab and Henderson will be good at. And when he picks that midfield he sets us up to play in a way that accentuates their strengths and minimises their weaknesses, just like he does for all of our players. But if he could have all their strengths with improved 'progressive' capacity do you not think he'd want that? Of course he would, that's why he's picked players like that and that's why he's bought players like that. It's such a shame Keita can't get fit. He does all these things and this conversation wouldn't be happening if he'd found his feet.

Like a good manager does. For example, Messi has a weakness in the air, does that make him any lesser player than he is? A manager who plays Messi like a traditional target man is a fool. Klopp is not a fool, he's one of the best in business, so of course, he makes the positives larger and suppresses the negatives.

Also, your point about Klopp not criticizing them is absurd. Look at my mental gymnastics trying to replicate yours -> Klopp praises Van Dijk -> Klopp doesn't like to criticize Van Dijk -> Van Dijk has weaknesses, but Klopp will never criticize him -> Therefore Van Dijk has weaknesses and can be improved upon. Your conclusion is similar.

Why is that a criticism on our midfield again? There is not perfect player, no perfect combo, no perfect team. It all comes together based on what happens on the pitch and what you see during the game. When I watch games, our midfield is more effective than any other midfield in the world right now. You could see a scope of improvement in even the best players in the world, doesn't mean it will realistically happen. Keita is a freak of nature, how many midfielders in the world work as hard as him and create as much? Zilch. Not even Madrid's, Barca's and Bayern's midfielders do that. Keita is special, like Van Dijk, but again, to speak for him, he has to be first available and then show it consistently on the pitch, which he has failed to. So, how is he, having not achieved a quarter of what Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson have in a Liverpool shirt, seen as a better option by default? Klopp doesn't throw in players immediately when they get back from injuries in general, see Lovren, Matip and Gomez - they get injured and find it hard to get back in the side. Klopp will try to ease in Keita and he has to show on the pitch that he deserves consistent starts ahead of one of the other 3 and only then he will get in consistently. So far, Keita has failed to do that and I know which is our best midfield combo as of now. Anything else is clearly fantasizing and not based on reality or performances in red shirt so far.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16685 on: January 21, 2020, 07:51:27 pm »
The fact Klopp didn’t trust a forward to play as an 8 in his system is proof he doesn’t want progressive 8s in the team? Not sure about this logic.

Coutinho is a playmaker. He is not a 'forward' just because he can score some goals from distance. In what world is his primary role scoring goals? He can play at No. 10 provided he gets a free role. Bayern have played him there. So, he can clearly play in midfield in general. He played in attacking positions for us because he cannot play in balanced midfield positions which require defensive abilities and tactical nous in the middle in terms of plugging gaps, which he lacks. This is what Klopp looks for primarily in his midfield. Lallana worked for us in midfield because he works hard and is tactically sound. His ball progression is a bonus.

Coutinho is like Ozil or Eriksen or De Bruyne. A playmaker. Klopp would never play these in his midfield. Or if he plays De Bruyne, he'd often be gassed. City demands less work rate than we do and yet De Bruyne spent most of last season injured. The work-rate, plugging gaps and ball circulation that our midfield does is horribly underrated because some of you want different shapes and sizes of 'wet dream midfields'.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16686 on: January 21, 2020, 07:51:28 pm »

Klopp played Coutinho in the front three because it was pre-Salah. One of the first names on the team sheet at that time was Lallana. As for what a Klopp like midfield looks like well at Dortmund he had the likes of Kagawa, Goetze and even Kuba as an attacking central midfield player.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16687 on: January 21, 2020, 07:54:37 pm »
Klopp played Coutinho in the front three because it was pre-Salah. One of the first names on the team sheet at that time was Lallana. As for what a Klopp like midfield looks like well at Dortmund he had the likes of Kagawa, Goetze and even Kuba as an attacking central midfield player.

Is this still a thing?  ;D

A Klopp midfield. I truly hope he gets enough time here to sign some of his own players and mould a midfield how he actually wants.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16688 on: January 21, 2020, 07:56:20 pm »
When it's nuanced, the midfield debate is valid. But a lot of the time it looks to me as just wanting Man City style attacking football when they're at their best, but without the bad parts (blips against poor opposition, vulneraribility on the counter, financial doping). Which is even more too good to be true than what we're already seeing. And if we suffer a spell of poor form the 'our midfield is a problem' narrative will be amplified ten times, on RAWK/the internet at least, as even if it's muted at the moment it's still the go to complaint whenever something goes wrong.

Absolutely. I'm not interested in shutting down discussions usually, but often this [articular discussion goes in the territory you mention and then it descends into how we would look if we had something like Man City's or Chelsea's midfield - two of the more flashier ones, yet proven to be less effective than ours over the course of two seasons now (including our CL campaign and successes).

It's a bit of a puzzle why some cannot understand that the reason City are vulnerable to counters is because of how their midfield is set-up as opposed to how we are so secure during counter-attacks. Our midfield constantly plugs holes, whereas they need Fernandinho to bump into somebody and cheat referees after making tactical fouls. Now that he has dropped into defense, even that is not working.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16689 on: January 21, 2020, 07:56:59 pm »
Is this still a thing?  ;D

A Klopp midfield. I truly hope he gets enough time here to sign some of his own players and mould a midfield how he actually wants.

No he was completely happy with his midfield. That is why the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita and Shaqiri had to be snook in to the Club whilst he wasn't looking.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16690 on: January 21, 2020, 07:58:39 pm »
No he was completely happy with his midfield. That is why the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita and Shaqiri had to be snook in to the Club whilst he wasn't looking.

Fabinho and Gini too  :)

So it seems like a ‘Klopp midfield’ is very much you know....what we have now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16691 on: January 21, 2020, 08:01:44 pm »
The context makes clear the ‘problems’ arise in specific moments and individual games, and yes on occasion we had ‘problems’ in that sense. Times we didn’t find ‘solutions’ like Klopp wanted. You’re being so deliberately obtuse here, and spinning posts in very unhelpful ways.

Which team in the history of football (take Cruyff's Dutch team, Brazil 70s, Guardiola's Barca, Paisley's Liverpool, etc.) did not have any problems in specific moments in individual games?

Tell me a perfect football team in history that never had a single moment of discomfort and I'll not talk about our midfield again. You're clutching at straws in criticizing a major part of one of the best club sides in history. It hardly makes sense.

EDIT: Think you're waiting for BabuYagu to answer this, so that you could copy his opinion and make a comeback.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:24:01 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16692 on: January 21, 2020, 08:04:13 pm »
Absolutely. I'm not interested in shutting down discussions usually, but often this [articular discussion goes in the territory you mention and then it descends into how we would look if we had something like Man City's or Chelsea's midfield - two of the more flashier ones, yet proven to be less effective than ours over the course of two seasons now (including our CL campaign and successes).

It's a bit of a puzzle why some cannot understand that the reason City are vulnerable to counters is because of how their midfield is set-up as opposed to how we are so secure during counter-attacks. Our midfield constantly plugs holes, whereas they need Fernandinho to bump into somebody and cheat referees after making tactical fouls. Now that he has dropped into defense, even that is not working.

Do you watch the game through a telescope pointed at the centre circle.

I think a contributing factor in our ability to defend counter attacks might just be a certain Dutch colossus and his English side kick at centre back. I think the likes of Allison, Trent, Robbo, Mo, Bobby, Mane and Orig may also of contributed to our success over the last few years. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16693 on: January 21, 2020, 08:04:40 pm »

Yet, he plays Fabinho, Gini and Henderson more than others. These have delivered in the biggest games in the biggest stages. Not sure what your point is. That getting more players to improve squad depth somehow means the players in the team are weak?

By your logic, getting Minamino means Klopp isn't happy with Firmino  ::)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16694 on: January 21, 2020, 08:06:57 pm »
Do you watch the game through a telescope pointed at the centre circle.

I think a contributing factor in our ability to defend counter attacks might just be a certain Dutch colossus and his English side kick at centre back. I think the likes of Allison, Trent, Robbo, Mo, Bobby, Mane and Orig may also of contributed to our success over the last few years.

Nobody said otherwise, but you fail to acknowledge the success and contributions of our midfield, and this is the midfield thread.

So, Van Dijk and Gomez have snuffed all the opposition counters, while our midfield have been sitting around? Gotcha.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:08:53 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16695 on: January 21, 2020, 08:07:02 pm »
Fabinho and Gini too  :)

So it seems like a ‘Klopp midfield’ is very much you know....what we have now.

For me it is two of Hendo, Fab and Gini plus one of Keita/Ox.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16696 on: January 21, 2020, 08:09:24 pm »
For me it is two of Hendo, Fab and Gini plus one of Keita/Ox.

Cool.

For Klopp mostly it’s three from Hendo, Fab and Gini

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16697 on: January 21, 2020, 08:12:37 pm »
Yet, he plays Fabinho, Gini and Henderson more than others. These have delivered in the biggest games in the biggest stages. Not sure what your point is. That getting more players to improve squad depth somehow means the players in the team are weak?

By your logic, getting Minamino means Klopp isn't happy with Firmino  ::)

Two points. Firstly clearly Ox, Keita and Shaqiri are different kinds of players, players with far more attacking intent.

Secondly how can you make judgments about who plays the most when Ox and Keita have had terrible luck with injuries.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16698 on: January 21, 2020, 08:14:12 pm »
Cool.

For Klopp mostly it’s three from Hendo, Fab and Gini

Yes it is not as if Keita or Ox have been injured or anything is it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16699 on: January 21, 2020, 08:19:24 pm »
Two points. Firstly clearly Ox, Keita and Shaqiri are different kinds of players, players with far more attacking intent.

Secondly how can you make judgments about who plays the most when Ox and Keita have had terrible luck with injuries.

Similar question. How can you include Ox and Keita in our best midfield combo when they have had terrible luck with injuries and have hardly had a run of consistent games? 'Wet Dream Midfield' is it?

For me, the best combo is the one that the manager has picked consistently and the one that has delivered consistently in allowing us to win games. There is only one such combo now. The other combos are functional, provided they are available. They're yet to prove at the highest level with a good sample space to count on. 

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16700 on: January 21, 2020, 08:24:02 pm »
Yes it is not as if Keita or Ox have been injured or anything is it.

Do you think he’s waiting for some special moment to spring his ‘Klopp midfield’ on us? He’s been here over four years. A ‘Klopp midfield’ is fucking bonkers. Like he walked into Anfield and thought ‘right, I need a Gotze, a Gundogan and a Bender for my ultimate midfield’. Dyou think maybe there’s a chance he’s not that one dimensional? It’s incredibly disrespectful to him and our players. Our team now would dismantle any of his Dortmund teams, so quite why you’re stuck with this idea that his Dortmund side is his ultimate I‘m not quite sure.

I assume you’re also waiting for a ‘Klopp attack’ to come to fruition. Just need a big Lewandowski striker to replace Bobby, right? Maybe that was the idea of Solanke.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16701 on: January 21, 2020, 08:29:34 pm »
Do you think he’s waiting for some special moment to spring his ‘Klopp midfield’ on us? He’s been here over four years. A ‘Klopp midfield’ is fucking bonkers. Like he walked into Anfield and thought ‘right, I need a Gotze, a Gundogan and a Bender for my ultimate midfield’. Dyou think maybe there’s a chance he’s not that one dimensional? It’s incredibly disrespectful to him and our players. Our team now would dismantle any of his Dortmund teams, so quite why you’re stuck with this idea that his Dortmund side is his ultimate I‘m not quite sure.

I assume you’re also waiting for a ‘Klopp attack’ to come to fruition. Just need a big Lewandowski striker to replace Bobby, right? Maybe that was the idea of Solanke.

;D

Also replace Salah with a grafter like Grosskreutz on the right.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:31:06 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16702 on: January 21, 2020, 08:35:08 pm »

I think his ideal midfield is a six, a link player and a more attacking choice. That for me is the most balanced and the best fit for how he wants to play the game.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16703 on: January 21, 2020, 08:38:38 pm »
Similar question. How can you include Ox and Keita in our best midfield combo when they have had terrible luck with injuries and have hardly had a run of consistent games? 'Wet Dream Midfield' is it?

For me, the best combo is the one that the manager has picked consistently and the one that has delivered consistently in allowing us to win games. There is only one such combo now. The other combos are functional, provided they are available. They're yet to prove at the highest level with a good sample space to count on. 

Klopp has gone for various combinations in central midfield. This is worth a read.
https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-the-success-rate-of-every-midfield-trio-klopp-has-used-since-the-start-of-2018-19/
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16704 on: January 21, 2020, 08:41:44 pm »
I think his ideal midfield is a six, a link player and a more attacking choice. That for me is the most balanced and the best fit for how he wants to play the game.

Cool, and we’re all entitled to our opinion. But your opinion is pretty easily demolished by the team and midfield he picks most often and the monstrous stats and success that midfield/team has had. The attack we have now is so, so different to the one he had at Dortmund so it’s not particularly rocket science to think our midfield will be very different to the one he had there. But you can’t seem to see that.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16705 on: January 21, 2020, 08:44:27 pm »
Ox was good early on, but he was given a free license in a way the other two midfielders put extra shift for him. It was one of the reasons, why we got gassed in 2017-18, where we blew teams away, but often had trouble finishing games and in the last few minutes of games or in specific months where we were hit by injuries. Our midfield became wafer thin in terms of options by the time we got to the end of that season.

Last season, Ox was barely involved, yet our other midfielders managed our best ever league season in history in terms of points and also won Number 6. Fluke or they were extremely effective? You make the pick.

It's a great midfield, end of. There are no ifs and buts there. Keita might add more there, but unless he proves himself consistently on the pitch like the other 3 have, it's all a pipe dream. I wanted Keita so much here, but he's been up and down largely due to injuries. He's a great all round talent, but the other 3 are much better Liverpool players as of now, balance or otherwise, in all aspects. Milner doesn't play similar to Keita at all, not sure how you come to that conclusion. Milner drifts wide and plays as an auxiliary winger for the most part, Keita likes to dribble through the middle and then plays lay-offs. They're vastly different to each other.
Perhaps I don’t write clearly enough, but it feels like you argue against some things I haven’t even said to begin with, so not sure what I’m supposed to reply here. Maybe we can just agree that our team, including the midfield, is absolutely fantastic, and leave it there.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16706 on: January 21, 2020, 09:47:01 pm »
Cool, and we’re all entitled to our opinion. But your opinion is pretty easily demolished by the team and midfield he picks most often and the monstrous stats and success that midfield/team has had. The attack we have now is so, so different to the one he had at Dortmund so it’s not particularly rocket science to think our midfield will be very different to the one he had there. But you can’t seem to see that.

Klopp believes in consistency of selection best evidenced by his choice of partner fro Van Dijk. For me that has meant that the players who are fit and in form tend to get runs of games. The preference for Fab-Hendo-Gini came about because they were all consistently fit and in form. Before that it was Hendo-Gini-Milner who tended to be fit and in form. Before that it was Hendo-Gini-Lallana.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16707 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:56 pm »
Which team in the history of football (take Cruyff's Dutch team, Brazil 70s, Guardiola's Barca, Paisley's Liverpool, etc.) did not have any problems in specific moments in individual games?

Tell me a perfect football team in history that never had a single moment of discomfort and I'll not talk about our midfield again. You're clutching at straws in criticizing a major part of one of the best club sides in history. It hardly makes sense.

EDIT: Think you're waiting for BabuYagu to answer this, so that you could copy his opinion and make a comeback.

Someone thought through and clear makes a good point, someone else takes on their point and agrees with it. They’re an idiot? This is, yet again, an example of you twisting what I’ve said. I agree with Babu’s thoughts on the midfield. That is not particularly controversial or out there. As for your point about ‘problems’. Yes, that was very clearly my point originally. Again, I wasn’t saying anything out there or controversial. I wasn’t saying we’re spectacularly weak unlike other great teams. I was saying that on a few occasions our midfield balance has been a problem. Other posters have recognised what I was saying. You’ve been difficult and argumentative all the way through this conversation and have decided to drag up previous conversations and talk about ‘comebacks’, although I have no idea what you mean. Chill.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16708 on: January 21, 2020, 10:06:00 pm »
Klopp believes in consistency of selection best evidenced by his choice of partner fro Van Dijk. For me that has meant that the players who are fit and in form tend to get runs of games. The preference for Fab-Hendo-Gini came about because they were all consistently fit and in form. Before that it was Hendo-Gini-Milner who tended to be fit and in form. Before that it was Hendo-Gini-Lallana.

Aye I know Al but you keep saying ‘for me’ and that’s probably the key here. ‘For Klopp’ the preference for Fab/Hendo/Gini is because it’s his preferred midfield in most games. It’s a Klopp midfield. It’s the one he selects the most, even when everyone is fit. And we use others in certain games too. It might be worth just ducking out before you tie yourself in anymore knots of ‘his preferred midfield is a 6, a link player and an AM’ to ‘his preferred midfield is whoever is fit’ ;)

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16709 on: January 21, 2020, 10:21:20 pm »
Klopp clearly has a preferred front 3. Preferred midfield 3 in terms of individual personnel though... that is difficult to work out. Lots of rotation, lots of injuries.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16710 on: January 21, 2020, 10:29:54 pm »
Klopp clearly has a preferred front 3. Preferred midfield 3 in terms of individual personnel though... that is difficult to work out. Lots of rotation, lots of injuries.

It’s not difficult to work out, you just need to look at which three start most often together ;D

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #16711 on: January 21, 2020, 10:45:39 pm »
Someone thought through and clear makes a good point, someone else takes on their point and agrees with it. They’re an idiot? This is, yet again, an example of you twisting what I’ve said. I agree with Babu’s thoughts on the midfield. That is not particularly controversial or out there. As for your point about ‘problems’. Yes, that was very clearly my point originally. Again, I wasn’t saying anything out there or controversial. I wasn’t saying we’re spectacularly weak unlike other great teams. I was saying that on a few occasions our midfield balance has been a problem. Other posters have recognised what I was saying. You’ve been difficult and argumentative all the way through this conversation and have decided to drag up previous conversations and talk about ‘comebacks’, although I have no idea what you mean. Chill.

None of that answers the question about which great teams in football didn't have any 'problems' though.

Not to mention, how many potential 'problems' the conservative LFC midfields of the past two years have eliminated before they even became visible, as well as how many counter-attacks they have initiated by doing so.

This IMO is the big thing that's really missing from your side of the conversation, it's all well and good to point out that the midfield isn't creative enough but the tons of work going into finally making us stable defensively is just being glossed over as if that isn't a part of  a"balanced midfield" as well, as if surely someone more creative could just do that as well as the other stuff, can't be that hard after all even if no other team manages to do it as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:54:45 pm by Bjornar »

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #16712 on: January 21, 2020, 10:52:43 pm »
Aye I know Al but you keep saying ‘for me’ and that’s probably the key here. ‘For Klopp’ the preference for Fab/Hendo/Gini is because it’s his preferred midfield in most games. It’s a Klopp midfield. It’s the one he selects the most, even when everyone is fit. And we use others in certain games too. It might be worth just ducking out before you tie yourself in anymore knots of ‘his preferred midfield is a 6, a link player and an AM’ to ‘his preferred midfield is whoever is fit’ ;)

Don’t think that’s right - he’s pretty much always picked Keita when he’s been fit and up to speed. The Fabinho Henderson Wijnaldam 3 only happened last season after Keitas injury towards the end of the year

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16713 on: January 21, 2020, 11:33:36 pm »
Perhaps I don’t write clearly enough, but it feels like you argue against some things I haven’t even said to begin with, so not sure what I’m supposed to reply here. Maybe we can just agree that our team, including the midfield, is absolutely fantastic, and leave it there.

I was also replying with the original post in mind, which you also cited. Anyway, the point you want to agree with is great and I'm with you there.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16714 on: January 21, 2020, 11:41:40 pm »

The midfield is rotated because of all the running they do and depending on the opposition we’re facing or the result we need.

I also think what some are confusing with Henderson making a big improvement is in fact a result of Hendo finally getting over the PF injury. He’s now able to run like Kipchoge again.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #16715 on: January 22, 2020, 01:36:16 am »
I think Klopp’s succession planning to replace the Gini Henderson Milner/Lallana axis were Keita Ox and Fabinho. Those latter 3 are about the same age too and a combination of experience and robustness.

Fab and Ox looks to be coming along nicely. Keita needs some horse placenta to get a run in the team. It always feels like one step forward but 2 steps back.

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16716 on: January 22, 2020, 07:06:56 am »
None of that answers the question about which great teams in football didn't have any 'problems' though.

Not to mention, how many potential 'problems' the conservative LFC midfields of the past two years have eliminated before they even became visible, as well as how many counter-attacks they have initiated by doing so.

This IMO is the big thing that's really missing from your side of the conversation, it's all well and good to point out that the midfield isn't creative enough but the tons of work going into finally making us stable defensively is just being glossed over as if that isn't a part of  a"balanced midfield" as well, as if surely someone more creative could just do that as well as the other stuff, can't be that hard after all even if no other team manages to do it as well.

Point taken. Although To be fair I did write this on the previous page

Perhaps this just comes down to a different reading of the word balance. I mean it in terms of the breadth of skillset across the midfield 3. The midfield needs certain elements for balance, and when certain elements are missing, it becomes a little uneven. That doesn't really matter most of the time, because they still offer so much, and it's compensated for elsewhere. But it is not disrespectful to Henderson to say that he is less press resistant than Fabinho or that Gini is less progressive with his passing than Keita or that Milner is worse at receiving the ball in the half space than Ox. Just like it wouldn't be disrespectful to say that a midfield of Lallana, Keita, Ox would lack balance in terms of tactical awareness compared to Gini; aggression, ability to cover ground, keep play moving, break up play compared to Henderson and defensive mopping up & aerial presence compared to Fabinho (and you could include a whole load of other things that we'd lose with a midfield 3 of Ox, Lallana and Keita too which would result in an unbalanced midfield 3).

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16717 on: January 22, 2020, 08:29:18 am »
This is probably a case where the majority of protagonists in this conversation agree much more than can come across in a forum debate. I'm guessing there are some who think we'd be much better off with Chelsea's midfield or City's midfield, but that's a minority, and frankly stupid, opinion. City's midfield wouldn't have everything that Klopp wants from his midfield, including physicality, tactical awareness in terms of space and ability to run, and run and run. Chelsea's midfield is the midfield of a team who couldn't beat an arsenal team who played most of the game with 10 men.

However, to my knowledge that isn't what AL (as far as I know) and I have been saying over the past page. I think in a Liverpool midfield we need what Fabinho/Henderson offer in the 6 position. Protect the space in front of the CBs, keep the ball moving and recycle possession, mop up, press intelligently without leaving holes, progress the ball up the pitch to a certain extent. Before Fabinho's injury I'd have said Fabinho is the better 6 but Henderson is the incumbent of that role currently on merit and keeps that spot imo. You don't even need to dip into the intangibles in terms of leadership that Henderson offers to argue that he keeps the 6 spot but those things are an additional bonus. I think we need an 8 like Gini, who is tactically astute and able to cover gaps and fill holes, as well as being press resistant, physically top notch and very good at keeping hold of the ball. I don't think Guardiola would want Gini as an 8 (or at least not as an 8 in the way he plays the role for Klopp, he's so flexible he could probably go and be a Guardiola 8 without too much trouble) but Klopp does and that's great. I suspect Keita could probably play this role and as long as the injuries clear up will probably be the replacement for Gini, although the lack of physicality compared to Gini is a  a concern. And then Klopp often wants to play another 8 who is slightly more progressive - Milner, Keita, Ox, Lallana, Henderson have all fulfilled this role for Klopp and each of them have different strengths and weaknesses. I would say, and so would others, that the midfield balance is as it's strongest when the final 8 is a player comfortable receiving the ball in the half space, is comfortable in tight spaces and is able to either dribble or pass progressively (or both preferably). However, when we play a midfield of Fab, Gini, Henderson we compensate in other ways, as seen in the period where they started more often than not at the start of this season. And that midfield offers more of other things which is really great. But has the midfield, and thus the team, looked slightly better with a midfield of Hendo, Gini + Lallana/Ox/Keita? I think so. Now others will want to major on the physicality, aggressiveness, tactical discipline and astuteness, ball recovery ability, possessions recycling e.t.c. e.t.c e.t.c. that Fab, Gini and Henderson offer and focus on the positives which is great. They're rightly recognising the huge importance of that to a Klopp midfield and we need that to happen because some might be tempted to accuse the Liverpool midfield of being very average and just workmanlike whilst not understanding what's happening. And folk might be tempted to look at Guardiola's midfield and think the grass is greener, which just isn't true. I just don't think that those who talk up the value of the 'progressive' element as one thing to prize in a Klopp midfield should be accused of disrespecting the team. 

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16718 on: January 22, 2020, 08:51:06 am »
That is a bit more clear, and I do agree with certain points but there is a reason Klopp wants all-rounders in midfield than specialists. That's why it's plain wrong to say he wants a rigid No. 6, No. 8 and a No. 10 in midfield (forget positions, I'm talking roles here). For Klopp, balance means that his midfield is able to shuffle and perform one another's roles to a good level. When Hendo's not dropping deep, Wijnaldum or Keita have dropped deep to receive the ball from CBs. Against Man United, Wijnaldum took part in all sorts of attacking situations and even scored a goal from offside position. When Keita is caught high, Henderson covers his side and so on. They cover for one another in defense, plugging gaps, circulating the ball or attacking and all of them shuffle between roles when required depending on match situation. When Henderson played further forward, he was shooting a fair bit from in and around the box. Fabinho could play penetrating passes even from a deeper position (see his assist against Man United last season or his assist against Wolves last season).

We have all rounders in midfield who execute the instructions from midfield to a T. All of Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Keita, Lallana or Milner can do multiple things to a high level (even if none can do most of them to an elite level with exception of a few strengths for each). Ox is the least all-round player in our midfield and requires others to plug gaps a bit more. Last season, Klopp tried to play Shaqiri in midfield and it became a Coutinho like situation wherein he was disappointed with the tactical execution defensively and stopped the experiment sooner than later.

In short, I think you're fixated in rigid terms with regards to positions. Klopp is not one-dimensional and he is flexible. He picks the best side to win a game on a given day based on their availability first and then he has his trusted set of players, and then depending upon fatigue/rotation and then finally depending on opposition. He goes to some trusted players more than others in big games - the ones who he hasn't trusted like Benteke, Sakho, Ibe, Moreno, Mignolet, Can etc. have all been shown the door and there are others who aren't as regularly picked as some. The point is Keita has quite a bit to prove in terms of availability and consistency to belong in his most trusted set of midfield players even though his talent has never been in doubt. The midfield that Klopp has so often gone for in big games is the one he trusts the most and for an year at least, it has been Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum and there is no evidence for anything contrary to that. I'll be happy for Keita and Ox to prove themselves consistently at that level and if they do, I think they are great options to have as well and if they do so, Klopp will no longer have 3/4 regular midfield players and then some more options, but would rather have a set of 5-6 very good midfielders from whom he would like to pick and choose depending upon the game-plan/situation/opposition etc. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:06:18 am by PoetryInMotion »

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16719 on: January 22, 2020, 09:02:19 am »
Great post and a helpful clarification to my post. Just in terms of your final line, I'm not really talking about positions, I'm talking skillsets more. There is a difference in position between the 6 and the 2 8s to some extent but I completely agree Klopp wants all rounders. So the 'progressive' 8 (and 'progressive' here refers to skill set and role on a pitch, not position so much), needs to be able to do lots of what Henderson and Gini offer. But I want to say it the other way round too. Henderson/Milner when they plays as 8 need to be able to do lots of what Ox or Keita offers. Again we come back to Keita, because he offers elite level 'defensive' actions and elite level 'offensive' actions. With a firing Keita on the pitch you've got someone who's pressing and ball recovery and tackles is better than everyone else in the midfield and who's ball progression is better than everyone else in midfield. He just can't get going.

BTW I'm certainly not talking about one of the 3 midfielders being a 10. Firmino is probably our 10. So for example, even if he were good enough for us (which he probably isn't) Maddison doesn't fit in a Klopp team for this reason. He's not a wid/ inverted forward and he's not an 8 (in terms of the role that he can fill).