Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 250573 times)

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #1200 on: April 16, 2020, 02:40:54 pm »
I’m due a remortgage in December and not sure what to expect.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1201 on: April 16, 2020, 03:08:11 pm »

Likely to look like 2008 all over again (although hopefully not lasting as long).

Hope they don't mate, property prices round us still aren't back to where they were in '06/'07 and we've been planning on selling up in a couple of years ready for our retirement.

We need to be getting maximum value  as they were pre covid to be able to do that and half our outgoings.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: April 16, 2020, 04:30:27 pm »
Sadly not at the moment, our mortgage adviser has told us that the lenders have collectively reduced maximum LTV's across the board. For new builds it is especially harsh - he gave me one example where the maximum LTV being considered is 60%, and for another they will go to 80% LTV but you must have at least a 25K deposit. So yeah, this one will be a challenge to fix for sure!

To be honest probably not a good idea to buy right now anyway. Just concentrate on getting employed and you may be in a good position when the prices drop.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1203 on: April 16, 2020, 07:10:51 pm »
I’m due a remortgage in December and not sure what to expect.

Don’t think rates are going up just a pain for anyone trying to buy , if your fixed is coming to an end and your just looking to swap onto a new deal and have been paying on time you should be okay to get a good rate though your valuation will possibly be lower than expected .

I went from a 75% LTV over five years ago to around 48 % when my fixed rate ended , went from 2.99 to 1.69 with a straight new deal with Natwest

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:29 am »
Sadly not at the moment, our mortgage adviser has told us that the lenders have collectively reduced maximum LTV's across the board. For new builds it is especially harsh - he gave me one example where the maximum LTV being considered is 60%, and for another they will go to 80% LTV but you must have at least a 25K deposit. So yeah, this one will be a challenge to fix for sure!

You say it’s a new build would including help to buy get you the property you want or have you already included that in your purchase .

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: April 17, 2020, 12:52:31 pm »
My partner and I managed to take our first step on the housing ladder just over a month ago. We had a mortgage agreed by Barclays on a fixed rate in December and had an offer accepted for a one-bed flat in Surrey. It took from December to March to get it all sorted, with a lot of headaches in the middle, but we're so relieved to have moved in before all this got going. Ideally, we'd sell and move into a 2/3-bed house in a few years (~5), but with the prices around our area, we'd be lucky if that were the case. It was £228k for a one-bed flat, and we got around £20k off the asking price.

I can't imagine how stressful it must be for some of you in the process of buying/selling your house. What's the latest government guidance on this?

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: April 17, 2020, 04:08:24 pm »
Don’t think rates are going up just a pain for anyone trying to buy , if your fixed is coming to an end and your just looking to swap onto a new deal and have been paying on time you should be okay to get a good rate though your valuation will possibly be lower than expected .

I went from a 75% LTV over five years ago to around 48 % when my fixed rate ended , went from 2.99 to 1.69 with a straight new deal with Natwest
I’m with RBS and will have to stick with them as they say they don’t do the affordability checks for customers who are just switching to a new deal.I’m in my first full year of self employment after being made redundant from a full time position.It’ll be squeaky bum time if they change their policy on checks.

It’s only works out at 48% LTV at 1.51% so hopefully I’m ok.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #1207 on: April 17, 2020, 05:03:13 pm »

You say it’s a new build would including help to buy get you the property you want or have you already included that in your purchase .

Yep, already included, we're using the Scottish equivalent known as the First Home Fund. Help to Buy is actually quite restrictive in what you have available in terms of lenders and other aspects such as LTV, minimum deposits, but FHF has a few more options available for my own circumstances. I do know that this whole experience so far has been a real eye opener. We're speaking to the developer via solicitors and looking at keeping our reservation in place for a few months until the worst of this is over, but we'll have to see if they go for it (I doubt they will be selling to anyone else at the moment so we're hopeful it will be ok). Having said that, the credit markets are highly challenging at the moment due to lenders pricing in risk factors. Right now, I just want to concentrate on having a job to go to and keep a roof over my head (the latter of which I have now thankfully resolved!).

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1208 on: April 18, 2020, 07:08:32 am »
Ours has moved on quite a bit in the last week and the contract was posted out to us yesterday. Hopefully be in before the end of the month.

The property has been empty for about a month now and no chain our side so thankfully it's been quite smooth apart from the solicitors working from home and only way of contacting them was by email.

Stuck with no sofa or bed for a while but could be worse

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #1209 on: April 19, 2020, 12:08:03 am »
We’ve reserved a new build property prior to COVID, and had an agreement in principle all sorted. We were just about to start the proper application after engaging solicitors and then it all came to a halt. The AIP lasts 6 months, with likely extension of a further 3 months. Original move in date planned for August, so that is on certainly not likely as they stopped building several weeks ago.

Our broker has told us we shouldn’t worry, but can’t help but feel nervous about what this means?

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1210 on: April 23, 2020, 11:13:32 am »
Another week later and we have signed the contract and paid the deposit and solicitors fee. Should get the keys next Friday

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: April 23, 2020, 11:45:09 am »
UK lenders starting to offer mortages https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52390860

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #1212 on: May 4, 2020, 11:45:16 am »
So things moved pretty fast for me in the last few days. After quite a bit of moping around and feeling dejected, I decided to call the lender directly last week, bypassing the mortgage adviser, as I wanted to get an understanding as to what options might be available moving forward. I explained the situation about having paid the reservation fees, having the government funding in place, etc etc. Lo and behold, I receive a call on Friday from my mortgage adviser saying that everything was now proceeding, they just need to wait until the survey can be done. I now have it in writing. Also my boss called at the end of last week and said they are hoping to have me and my colleagues back in the business from the start of June. The 80% of salary is a pain but I'd rather have it than none. Suffice to say I got fairly plastered at the weekend.

A massive relief, almost there on both fronts. Thanks also for the support I got on here, much appreciated

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1213 on: May 4, 2020, 03:07:18 pm »
That sounds brilliant mate, must be a massive relief for you!

So I've been saving into a help to buy ISA for a number of years now and have a fair amount saved but nowhere near enough for a flat where I want to live, unless I go shared ownership. What are people's thoughts on those?

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: May 5, 2020, 11:24:16 am »
So I've been going through a re-mortgage using my mortgage advisor (he did the original mortgage) and id settled on a product with Nationwide. Next thing I know, Nationwide have ridiculously undervalued my property. By around £60k in my opinion. I have tried to appeal by using the price of houses around me sold recently and my mortgage advisor tells me Nationwide have said "we cannot appeal a down-valuation whereby a physical inspection was not done in the first place."

This lower valuation puts the interest rate on the deal up to 1.64% from 1.44% for 5 years.

Does anyone know what my options are? I always use this advisor as I am self employed and Nationwide are one of the lenders who accept self employed.

Thanks

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: May 5, 2020, 11:50:36 am »
So I've been going through a re-mortgage using my mortgage advisor (he did the original mortgage) and id settled on a product with Nationwide. Next thing I know, Nationwide have ridiculously undervalued my property. By around £60k in my opinion. I have tried to appeal by using the price of houses around me sold recently and my mortgage advisor tells me Nationwide have said "we cannot appeal a down-valuation whereby a physical inspection was not done in the first place."

This lower valuation puts the interest rate on the deal up to 1.64% from 1.44% for 5 years.

Does anyone know what my options are? I always use this advisor as I am self employed and Nationwide are one of the lenders who accept self employed.

Thanks

Is it worth paying them for a physical one iirc you done a lot of work when you bought it as I was at the same time so it will be worth more , my five year deal is with the Natwest and I had a loan to value of 75% when i bought it but after renovations , extension and paying five years payments my loan to value came down to around 40 % . My first five year deal ended in December and they accepted the new figure and a new five year deal similar to what you quoted .

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: May 5, 2020, 06:20:16 pm »
Is it worth paying them for a physical one iirc you done a lot of work when you bought it as I was at the same time so it will be worth more , my five year deal is with the Natwest and I had a loan to value of 75% when i bought it but after renovations , extension and paying five years payments my loan to value came down to around 40 % . My first five year deal ended in December and they accepted the new figure and a new five year deal similar to what you quoted .
I don't think they will do a valuation full stop because of the situation we are in at the moment, I will ask the question though.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: May 5, 2020, 09:18:33 pm »
I don't think they will do a valuation full stop because of the situation we are in at the moment, I will ask the question though.

Is it not worth staying with your current lender on a new deal

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: May 5, 2020, 09:54:36 pm »
Is it not worth staying with your current lender on a new deal
Could have the same issue though. On paper to them the house is only worth what I have paid for it, unless they do a physical valuation. What is a product fee even for? Is it to pay for all the underwriting and background checks, valuations etc?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1219 on: May 5, 2020, 10:28:51 pm »
Could have the same issue though. On paper to them the house is only worth what I have paid for it, unless they do a physical valuation. What is a product fee even for? Is it to pay for all the underwriting and background checks, valuations etc?

To cover the commission to your broker or intermediary and a way to squeeze a bit more out of you , didn’t you buy in south Liverpool like me ? The variations in just one street here is mad , two house have gone in our road recently one for 220k and one for 300k yet the institutions will just use a standard valuation tool from what I gather

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: May 6, 2020, 07:21:21 pm »
To cover the commission to your broker or intermediary and a way to squeeze a bit more out of you , didn’t you buy in south Liverpool like me ? The variations in just one street here is mad , two house have gone in our road recently one for 220k and one for 300k yet the institutions will just use a standard valuation tool from what I gather
Yeah mate just by Cressington. Looks like i'm just going to have to bite the bullet!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1221 on: May 6, 2020, 07:28:48 pm »
Those in the process of buying - have mortgages opened up a bit more since a month or so ago?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1222 on: May 16, 2020, 07:50:18 pm »
So what are people's opinions on buying in the next few months?

Do you reckon house prices will drop drastically over the next 12-24 months?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: May 16, 2020, 09:28:58 pm »
So what are people's opinions on buying in the next few months?

Do you reckon house prices will drop drastically over the next 12-24 months?

I would imagine any drop in prices will only take place when everything is kind of back to normal and most people realise they don’t have a job.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1224 on: June 15, 2020, 04:57:28 pm »
I had an offer accepted on a house way back when everyone started isolating, so this has been dragging on a bit and the last detail we're waiting for is a certificate of completion for some work where they knocked a wall down to join the kitchen and dining room.  I've chased the seller's estate agent, my solicitor is chasing his solicitor... just not getting anywhere but at the same time, no one is saying they don't have it.

Someone reassure me this is normal and that there's nothing shady going on or that the deal is about to fall through.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1225 on: June 15, 2020, 05:03:37 pm »
I imagine they’re using it as a way to delay things for some reason. That or they don’t have one and are trying to get one.

Is their solicitor not getting back to yours at all?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1226 on: June 15, 2020, 05:26:51 pm »
I did wonder.  I'm not in contact with their solicitor, is that something I can do to hurry them along?  I've actually got the seller's personal email address from one of the documents, tempted to drop him an email and see what's up.

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1227 on: June 15, 2020, 05:35:59 pm »
Tell your solicitor to inform theirs that if you don't get some traction ASAP you will withdraw your offer.

As the housing market looks like it might dip it might be worth it anyway and coming back in with a lower offer at a later date.

If your heart is set on the place your solicitor should be asking theirs to arrange an indemnity for the work if no paperwork is forthcoming
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1228 on: June 15, 2020, 05:39:26 pm »
Good tip on the indemnity, didn't think of that.  We're all in on this place, it's a lovely house at a good price, even with the market potentially taking a hit, and I'm currently wasting money on rent.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1229 on: June 15, 2020, 05:40:28 pm »
I did wonder.  I'm not in contact with their solicitor, is that something I can do to hurry them along?  I've actually got the seller's personal email address from one of the documents, tempted to drop him an email and see what's up.

You need to be pestering your solicitor every day at that stage. They dont get paid if it doesn't go through. No need for pleasantries

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1230 on: June 15, 2020, 05:41:39 pm »
Good tip on the indemnity, didn't think of that.  We're all in on this place, it's a lovely house at a good price, even with the market potentially taking a hit, and I'm currently wasting money on rent.

We were in a similar place with our windows and ended up paying the indemnity (about £20) to cover us and allows the contracts to go through

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1231 on: June 16, 2020, 07:47:57 pm »
You need to be pestering your solicitor every day at that stage. They dont get paid if it doesn't go through. No need for pleasantries

Don't do this.

Pestering your own solicitor (or conveyancer) won't help anything. They will have chased and will chase again when appropriate. In all likelihood as well most the staff are on furlough and you've got one solicitor with four caseloads.

Best bet is to get the estate agent to earn their crust (fucking rip off merchants) and get them to chase the sellers solicitor.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1232 on: June 16, 2020, 08:00:11 pm »
Best bet is to get the estate agent to earn their crust (fucking rip off merchants)

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #1233 on: July 1, 2020, 06:31:26 pm »
Does anybody make over payments on their mortgage?

It seems almost too good to be true from all the benefits I'm reading, just wondering what the other side of the argument is? The only thing I've read is if you have a savings account with super high interest that can outweigh the money saved from over payments, which obviously nobody does.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1234 on: July 1, 2020, 06:39:07 pm »

It seems almost too good to be true from all the benefits I'm reading, just wondering what the other side of the argument is? The only thing I've read is if you have a savings account with super high interest that can outweigh the money saved from over payments, which obviously nobody does.

I've done a few here and there, I enjoy playing with the mortgage calculator and seeing how many months I can shave off.

Be aware there's usually a maximum yearly overpayment (vague memory of mine being 6 grand a year or something) so you can't do too much without some kind of penalty.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #1235 on: July 1, 2020, 06:41:49 pm »
Mine seems to be 10% of the original loan so more than I am likely to ever get near. Was thinking of about £200 a month but looking at the calculator it makes a nice difference. Do I need to set it up to be a regular thing or can I do it as and when, and would it automatically just take time off the length of the mortgage?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: July 1, 2020, 07:05:20 pm »
Mine seems to be 10% of the original loan so more than I am likely to ever get near. Was thinking of about £200 a month but looking at the calculator it makes a nice difference. Do I need to set it up to be a regular thing or can I do it as and when, and would it automatically just take time off the length of the mortgage?
We do ours as a regular extra payment by standing order so we're in control and amend accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: July 1, 2020, 07:07:14 pm »

I’d say it depends on what rate your paying at the moment , mines fixed for 5 years at 1.6% so there may be other things that will be a better investment .

About 10 years ago was in a position to start doing this but the opportunity came up to invest in my wife’s workplace sharesave scheme which we done over a 5 year period and our investment was safe for five years as it was only an option to take up the shares , they increased over five fold and they helped us move to a bigger house and include renovations .

Not sure when your mortgage ends but if for example your paying £600 a month now but your knocking the last two years off in say 20 years time is that £600 ( presuming a similar rate ) going to be  a hefty payment after inflation and wage rises .

Personally I’d rather have a nest egg for contingencies that may arise over the years that are accessible rather than tied up in the bricks and mortar .

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: July 1, 2020, 07:29:57 pm »

I put in an overpayment every couple of months. Roughly paying 60% more than my standard payments when averaged out.

I've got a 6 month emergency fund saved up, and interest rates are so bad on savings so I figured best to just get the mortgate paid down.

Especially as I only bought the property last year so could be in negative equity when it comes to the end of the fixed term deal, or interest rates could have rocketed by then and I want to get into a lower bracket.

My mortgage provider (Nationwide) allow you to take payment holidays as well if you have overpayments built up so the more I overpay, the more flexibility I have there as well if I ran into financial difficulties.

With Nationwide, they also give you the option of reducing your future monthly payments if you make an overpayment of £500 or more (you can also choose to have it just reduce your term instead). That means that I can keep making overpayments while things are fine, while gradually reducing the amount I HAVE to pay each month if things did turn to shit and I lost my income.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2020, 07:35:40 pm by Just Elmo? »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: July 1, 2020, 08:13:55 pm »

We had an £80k mortgage which we took out in 2010, 20 yr term and were overpaying Nationwide about £150 a month via a standing order, so we could stop and start as and when we wanted to and that was knocking a decent amount off, think we were on course to knock something like 8 years off the mortgage. I'm not sure where we would have ended up though, as we were in the lucky position that we had £5k saved that we used to reduce the mortgage when we were allowed and them got chunks of cash off her Dad, things like an ISA he'd set up years ago for my wife and we kept paying whatever we got from him off the mortgage, so we had it down to under £40k within 6 years. Nationwide reduced the monthly payments after each lump payment but we just kept paying the old mortgage plus our overpayment  When he died, from her share of his house, she paid £32k off, left us with a £60 a month mortgage.

If you can afford to, do make the overpayments, well worth it, as you are saving paying interest and also reducing the term.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgages-vs-savings/#:~:text=If%20you're%20overpaying%20your,if%20you%20hadn't%20overpaid.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA