Author Topic: The largest stock market bubble ever seen is finally Ko'd by Covid-19  (Read 57339 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Sadly, the writing has been on the wall for a number of years. The virus isn't the cause of this, it is merely the accelerant.

Stock market trading halted almost immediately at the opening of the market.

The Dow is down almost 2,000 points within 5 minutes of opening. Jesus.

Trading in US shares has been suspended as sharp falls led to an automatic halt in the selling and buying of stocks.

The main US stock exchange, the S&P 500, fell 7% before being suspended.

The move follows dramatic falls globally with shares facing the worst day since the 2008 financial crisis.

A row between Russia and Saudi Arabia saw oil prices plunge by more than a fifth, hitting markets already reeling from fears of the impact of the coronavirus as cases continue to rise.

The day has been dubbed "Black Monday" by analysts who described the market reaction as "utter carnage".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51796806

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:35:06 pm by conman »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Just so we are clear:

A recession usually leads to a 30% to 40% fall in equities,
a big recession usually has a 40% to 60% fall
and a depression is 60% to 80%.

There is a long way to go, but this is going to get very ugly.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Good for the consukers (was a typo but fits perfectly) though.

He's talking about lower gas prices whilst ignoring (through ignorance) the tiny little fact that said prices will put thousands of Americans who work in oil and gas out of a job and the producers out of business with crippling debts.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
OMG, there's always a tweet.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
OMG, there's always a tweet.

He's patient zero for the evolution of stupid.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
Good for the consukers (was a typo but fits perfectly) though.

He's talking about lower gas prices whilst ignoring (through ignorance) the tiny little fact that said prices will put thousands of Americans who work in oil and gas out of a job and the producers out of business with crippling debts.

That's not a real Tweet (sadly)

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-trump-dowjones-tweet-idUSKBN20P340

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-dow-jones-tweet/

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Just so we are clear:

A recession usually leads to a 30% to 40% fall in equities,
a big recession usually has a 40% to 60% fall
and a depression is 60% to 80%.

There is a long way to go, but this is going to get very ugly.

Yes, it certainly looks bad. It's not just the stock market. The bond market is not healthy and then we have the whole repo crisis.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Yes, it certainly looks bad. It's not just the stock market. The bond market is not healthy and then we have the whole repo crisis.
Yep, it's because of too much credit in the market for years. So many things are fucked.

I saved thread in the summer, as I thought it was so so important.

https://twitter.com/RaoulGMI/status/1147878009870983169

July 2019....

There is a lot going on in Europe that feels like it's coming to a head soon... probably by the end of the summer. The EU economy is in mild recession...

But it is unlikely to deteriorate further for a month or two until the CESI up-cycle finishes around the end of the summer

But inflation expectation are collapsing (5yr shown) and show no signs of abating..

And we know that the ECB is only driven by ONE mandate - inflation. Therefore, they HAVE TO ease policy. Problem is that they have few levers to pull, so first it'll be lower rates. 2 yrs can go back to below -1%....

And bund yields will keep falling too...using a regression channel, it would suggest that -1.6% is the objective...

That's all well and good, but it's killing the banks, which are correlated with falling yields...(cause vs effect? Im not sure. Probably a bit of both). Chart is of EU Banks sector vs 10 yr bunds...

We are all well aware that $DB is a total shit show and is something I have been talking about for the last few years. The news out this weekend of a restructuring and loss of 20,000 jobs simply can not be achieved fast enough and all the senior leaders are bolting for the exits

They've tried mergers. Fail. They are trying bad bank. Not sure it will get done yet. And now they are trying restructuring. Too late/no time. Meanwhile, the ECB will push yields lower, putting $DB closer to the End Game.  How else can they fight a recession? They cant use fiscal

But, this is NOT a DB problem, it is a STRUCTURAL EU/Swiss problem, on a scale not understood by most. UBS is about to break support and head to zero...

Credit Suisse is arguably worse...that support is the life/death line.

And in France, Soc Gen is also in free fall, with its own Cliff of Death approaching..

In Spain, all the banks look terrible, as I have been shouting from the roof tops for a while. BBVA is right at the Cliff of Death

And even Barclays in the UK looks bad too

So, the knock on effects are all lining up to push one bank after another of the Cliff of Death...and there ain't a thing the ECB can do about it, as they have only one mandate - inflation. They HAVE TO cut rates. And this is why Christine Lagarde has been brought in...
Raoul Pal

The ECB is going to need to become political. It is going to have to rescue an EU-wide banking system and put the banks into state hands and buy the extra gov debt and they are going to need to force fiscal reforms and massive fiscal stimulus. They will use the situation to force

through tighter EU fiscal consolidation, maybe even leaving some nations behind. Lagarde is perfect for this. It's what the IMF does. She is also a lawyer and a politician. The problem is, this stuff takes time. The ECB will buy any credit instrument to avoid capital

markets seizing up but shareholders are going to sense an equity wipeout over the debt holders, so equities bear the brunt of it (and bunds go more negative). The dollar will get bid as the $ funding crisis can not easily be solved by the ECB and lending at the margin tightens

And a strong dollar would destroy the banks and the global economy. It's all very circular and there are very few circuit breakers. Throw in heightened trade wars between EU/US (highly likely) and China/EU/US and you have a very big issue. And my problem with all of this

It's that the probability is much much higher than I'd like. And that is the reason to own bonds, dollars, bitcoin and gold. The former two are the beneficiaries of current needs, and the latter two are the high-gamma options on this escalating into an extreme  policy event.

This all needs to be watched very closely. I am concerned that the summer will end with a building sense of crisis. You can already see the signs as liquidity issues come to the fore.. (Woodford, H20). None of this is a certain but the odds are exploding.

End.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:25:43 am by conman »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Raoul Pal updated that cliff of death topic today..

The Cliff of Death in Euro banks has now broken. It is something I have repeatedly warned about. The ECB are going to have their hands full soon and will have to step in or the member states will end up nationalising the banking system. I doubt the Euro can continue to perform like this. It will weaken over time as the ECB has to print a LOT.

These are really troubling times and this crisis is rapidly turning int THE crisis. Be careful. Its still early days so Im just highlighting the potential risks.

And Japan..

The Japanese banks are about to have a reality shock, just as the Europeans are. There is going to have to be a large package from the BOJ at some point in the next 6 months or less....

If you feel like markets are crashing, think again. We are only down -6% YoY%, we are miles away from recession levels. This is only the beginning, we are still at warm-up stage. Covid-19 spread is accelerating worlwide, the next 2 weeks are going to be wild.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Does Brexit insulate the UK or make things worse at all? Or does it not matter?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
I don't personally see any real positives from Brexit.

But if I'm to hazard a guess, it will leave the UK more stranded than should it have been in the EU.
On the plus side, you've always retained the Sterling, so you can print money if/when you need it. But that's not necessarily a good thing.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Raoul Pal knows how to cheer you up, doesn't he? ;) Seriously, his series about pensions from last year is a must watch.

I'm no expert, but Brexit is not a topic of discussion I see among the people I follow. The concerns seem to be mainly around the global debt. It affects everyone. To make it worse big banks like Deutsche Bank are falling to pieces and HSBC seem to be in the danger zone because of its dependence on Hong Kong. To quote one that I follow, ”it's SDT” (stiff drink time).

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley

Fixed income....without the income.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:19:20 am by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Fixed income....without the income.

Yes. Everything is upside down.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
There are reports coming out now of serious stress in the US Treasury Market right now.

Let that sink in a minute.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
How serious is this? Are we looking at a global economic collapse? Are there some reputable sources I can link to?

I mean, I see a lot of graphs but ultimately this is only the opinion of one guy on Twitter. Is there anything to corroborate this?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:04:18 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Why don't we just pause the economy for a bit?  ;D ;D

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If trading on the FTSE stopped now it would be the worst single day drop since black Monday in 1987.

That's bad, isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:30:06 pm by Kekule »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
How serious is this? Are we looking at a global economic collapse? Are there some reputable sources I can link to?

I mean, I see a lot of graphs but ultimately this is only the opinion of one guy on Twitter. Is there anything to corroborate this?
The graphs represent the data.

And this "fella" is about as credible an opinion as you can find.

He introduces himself at the beginning of the 2nd video, so you can understand why he might know what he's talking about :)

Feb 2020
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V7zEXiqiiqA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V7zEXiqiiqA</a>

Auguest 2019
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LGR8VmW6p8c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LGR8VmW6p8c</a>

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:44:01 pm by conman »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U9QcQw343-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U9QcQw343-8</a>
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:44:09 pm by conman »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The graphs represent the data.

And this "fella" is about as credible an opinion as you can find.

He introduces himself at the beginning of the 2nd video, so you can understand why he might know what he's talking about :)

Feb 2020
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zEXiqiiqA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zEXiqiiqA</a>

Auguest 2019
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/LGR8VmW6p8c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/LGR8VmW6p8c</a>

Dont misunderstand. My point is that, no matter how credible the source, it is still only a single source. And it is only his opinion based on the data.

I would like to see other, equally reputable experts' opinions before drawing any conclusions  :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dont misunderstand. My point is that, no matter how credible the source, it is still only a single source. And it is only his opinion based on the data.

I would like to see other, equally reputable experts' opinions before drawing any conclusions  :)

Markets don't know what is going to happen so are responding accordingly.

Potentially we are in a situation with a shutdown where companies generate no revenue for a period of a few weeks- that could push a number over the edge in small profit margin industries or companies suffering cash flow issues.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

Aknowledged.

You're more than welcome to use Google, It's not up to me to convince you. However, if i find further material that's useful, I'll ofcourse be adding here.

Make no mistake, this meltdown is here, without or without the virus.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
An explanation of what's happening

Ten minute video & article.

https://pomp.substack.com/p/the-liquidity-crisis-will-drive-monetary

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/U9QcQw343-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/U9QcQw343-8</a>

You need to remove the watch/ from the Youtube URL to get them to embed btw.

Code: [Select]
[flash=500,420]https://www.youtube.com/v/U9QcQw343-8[/flash]
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U9QcQw343-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U9QcQw343-8</a>

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
If trading on the FTSE stopped now it would be the worst single day drop since black Monday in 1987.

That's bad, isn't it?

Any period where the market closes during business hours is bad for business, I saw the Dow Jones open after 9/11, 6 days later and it was like a fire sale.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Thanks man. It's been quite a while since i was embedding vids. :)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Aknowledged.

You're more than welcome to use Google, It's not up to me to convince you. However, if i find further material that's useful, I'll ofcourse be adding here.

Make no mistake, this meltdown is here, without or without the virus.

That's fine. I just want to avoid accusations of scaremongering if I pass this information on when it's only a single source and I have limited experience interpreting the data. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What a clusterfuck of a week and we still have tomorrow.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's amazing how quickly they found 1.5tr to pump the market, the bear shrugged of the first 500b like it was a flea.

Imagine if they cared about people as much as their bank balance.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
What a clusterfuck of a week and we still have tomorrow.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
That's fine. I just want to avoid accusations of scaremongering if I pass this information on when it's only a single source and I have limited experience interpreting the data. :)
BTW, It's been dubbed the "everything bubble", so if you want to find out about it, you can go read many of those articles.
Cheap credit from QE and low/negative interest rates are a big part of this.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Massive Distribution at end of day, no signs of Accumulation anywhere despite promise of #Fed to inject $1.5 TRILLION into Repo and #NotQE...

$1.5 TRILLION is the equivalent of spending a Dollar every SECOND for the next 47,465 YEARS...

This is sign of big liquidations and they are likely to get really bad tomorrow...

#ButHeyItIsFriday13th

https://twitter.com/MarkYusko/status/1238194353765482497

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
BTW, It's been dubbed the "everything bubble", so if you want to find out about it, you can go read many of those articles.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
Something tells me this is going to run and run.

Can someone 'in the know' point to a source as to why nationalising Deutche is the only solution to fix this? 

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan

Yes, it's bad. I mean very, very, very bad. And they will of course try the same trick again and again. Low interest rates have encouraged borrowing. Companies have avoided investments, instead they have borrowed money to buy back their own shares.

I am still trying to understand the fundamentals in this, but literally no-one is optimistic. The most optimistic view I have come across is one who thinks the bond market will tank and big capital will be forced to go to the stock market. But then we are talking fear, a lack of trust in government and what follows.

Have you checked out George Gammon?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

Can someone 'in the know' point to a source as to why nationalising Deutche is the only solution to fix this? 
It's on its knees and has been for some time.

Last year they announced 30,000 job losses.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Yes, it's bad. I mean very, very, very bad. And they will of course try the same trick again and again. Low interest rates have encouraged borrowing. Companies have avoided investments, instead they have borrowed money to buy back their own shares.

I am still trying to understand the fundamentals in this, but literally no-one is optimistic. The most optimistic view I have come across is one who thinks the bond market will tank and big capital will be forced to go to the stock market. But then we are talking fear, a lack of trust in government and what follows.

Have you checked out George Gammon?
I dont see that happening with the bond market, but I'm not a person that would know.

I think it has to break this time. Last time they propped everything up and exasperated the problem with cheap credit.

Unfortunately, rate cuts and quantitative easing are less effective than they originally were.

Like a crack addict needs more crack over time, inflated economies need more stimulus.

I'll check out George Gammon now.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan

Not pretending to he in the know, but Deutsche Bank seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. It's the biggest systemic risk out there. I am not sure nationalising it will save anything.

If you want information on DB, the link below is a place to begin. There are more references to other articles.

https://wallstreetonparade.com/2019/09/the-repo-loan-crisis-dead-bankers-and-deutsche-bank-timeline-of-events/

Or try this
https://youtu.be/MFhQNugglXk