Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2764947 times)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #51360 on: January 15, 2019, 03:18:02 pm »
The most complex offense in college football  :o come on! It’s a tweaked version of the Air Raid offense developed during his time at Texas Tech then East Carolina while Shane Carden was quarterback.

The Big 12 has the worst Defenses in the country so we’ll just agree to disagree  ;D

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51361 on: January 15, 2019, 04:30:20 pm »
The most complex offense in college football  :o come on! It’s a tweaked version of the Air Raid offense developed during his time at Texas Tech then East Carolina while Shane Carden was quarterback.

The Big 12 has the worst Defenses in the country so we’ll just agree to disagree  ;D

It is man, I'm not just talking out of my ass here. There's plenty of articles with analysis out there with how innovative and unique Riley's offense is and how the QB has to have mastery of the system. Additionally, the system he ran at ECU is a lot different than the one he's run at OU. Almost as if Riley is an offensive guru, gameplans to his available talent and strengths of his players and adapts and changes over time.  ;D

We may disagree on whether Kyler going to the NFL is smart or not or whether or not he will or won't make it and that's fine, but please don't compare him to players like Denard f'n Robinson. The only thing they have in common is they're both quick, black undersized quarterbacks. And it's a very lazy comparison.

Kyler's dad was a college quarterback and runs an elite QB school here in the Dallas area. Kyler was trained all his life to be a great passer and not just rely on his athletic abilities first and then develop as a passer later. He's put up mind boggling passing numbers his entire life. You don't do that with mediocre arm talent, like Robinson or Miller.

Sorry to the others for the Murray focus the last several pages. He's a truly unique talent that clearly divides opinion. Players that can make throws like the below (in an offense that has NFL franchises salivating) AND run a sub 4.4 40 don't come around very often.

http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip/_/id/25642261/categoryid/4823314
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:32:42 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51362 on: January 15, 2019, 04:33:17 pm »
Why do most scouts (I also think he’s a mid round developmental prospect at best), think he’ll be taken in the late 2nd-3rd round then if he’s such a ‘once in a generation’ quarterback?

I really don’t get the hype personally.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:35:34 pm by Trev20 »

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #51363 on: January 15, 2019, 04:41:11 pm »
I think hype is based off Baker’s success this year and the increasing proliferation of Riley-esque schemes performing well in the NFL.

Plus at this point in the year - whoever won the Heisman is going to have buzz, there will be more movement after the SB I’d guess.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51364 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:46 pm »
Why do most scouts (I also think he’s a mid round developmental prospect at best), think he’ll be taken in the late 2nd-3rd round then if he’s such a ‘once in a generation’ quarterback?

It's way too early to project where he (or many others) go at this point in time.

Mahomes was going to be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick when he first declared. Mayfield was predicted to be a mid to late first round pick when he first declared.

My guess is that as he goes through interviews and workouts over the coming months and scouts and NFL personnel see his savvy, arm strength and ability, speed ,get to pick his brain and actually watch some film on him, he'll end up moving quite a bit higher up.

And at the end of the day, all it takes is one GM/team to fall in love with a player. And if a GM/team can somehow fall in love with Josh Allen to select him in the first round, then I truly believe anything is possible.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51365 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:52 pm »

Because it's his size and NFL teams are dumb.

If he's 6'1 205 pounds, he's a lock for the first QB off the board and it's not even close.

The fact that he's 5'10 195 pounds throws a wrench into the simple minds of these scouts and GM's. Hurr durr, he's not 6'5 230 pounds, HE JUST CAN'T POSSIBLY MAKE IT.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51366 on: January 15, 2019, 04:58:48 pm »
Get it young fella!

No offense - he's not even in the same ballpark as Mayfield - he will get paid but it's really really hard to see him as a big time NFL QB.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51367 on: January 15, 2019, 05:26:01 pm »
Josh Allen had the best arm in a strong quartback class last year.

Kyler Murray isn’t even the best QB available in one of the weakest draft classes for QB’s in the recent history of the NFL annual player selection meeting.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51368 on: January 15, 2019, 05:53:51 pm »
No offense - he's not even in the same ballpark as Mayfield - he will get paid but it's really really hard to see him as a big time NFL QB.

None taken!

As I've stated previously in this thread, I'm not near as certain that Kyler will make it in the NFL as I was with Baker. Mainly for two reasons:

1) Baker had a lot more experience at the college level and that counts for a lot in my eyes. Baker had more than three times as many starts in college as Kyler did and threw nearly 1,000 more attempts than Kyler did in college. Kyler is definitely more on the raw side than the polished side in terms of experience and I think he could benefit hugely from sitting out at least a year and learning/adapting under a veteran QB. Regardless, I think he will struggle more obviously than Baker did as a young QB in the league.

2) Size. Kyler won't have a problem seeing over an NFL offensive line but I do worry about his durability with taking hits from NFL defenders. The one thing he has going for him in this area of concern is that the NFL has done and is doing all it can to over-protect QB's from injury. It's still a concern but near as much as it would've been 5-10 years ago.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:56:17 pm by Lone Star Red »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51369 on: January 15, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »
And I think someone noted - he can always go back and try to play baseball after a few years if it doesn't work out.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51370 on: January 15, 2019, 06:48:19 pm »
Josh Allen had the best arm in a strong quartback class last year.

Kyler Murray isn’t even the best QB available in one of the weakest draft classes for QB’s in the recent history of the NFL annual player selection meeting.
murray has no problem throwing downfield did you watch the bama vs ou. He threw over the best free stafey in the nfl draft on the run which was also across his body.

Allen had the strongest arm not the best passer huge difference. If can hit constantly it 15-20 yard outs the far hash that will tell me more an qb am strength with accuracy then throwing 60 plus in shorts

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51371 on: January 15, 2019, 06:49:53 pm »
None taken!

As I've stated previously in this thread, I'm not near as certain that Kyler will make it in the NFL as I was with Baker. Mainly for two reasons:

1) Baker had a lot more experience at the college level and that counts for a lot in my eyes. Baker had more than three times as many starts in college as Kyler did and threw nearly 1,000 more attempts than Kyler did in college. Kyler is definitely more on the raw side than the polished side in terms of experience and I think he could benefit hugely from sitting out at least a year and learning/adapting under a veteran QB. Regardless, I think he will struggle more obviously than Baker did as a young QB in the league.

2) Size. Kyler won't have a problem seeing over an NFL offensive line but I do worry about his durability with taking hits from NFL defenders. The one thing he has going for him in this area of concern is that the NFL has done and is doing all it can to over-protect QB's from injury. It's still a concern but near as much as it would've been 5-10 years ago.
On the second part you do know he entering his 17th playing football. Also qb normally get hurt more inside the pocket then outside in the nfl. Im not super worried about his size.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51372 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:11 pm »
murray has no problem throwing downfield did you watch the bama vs ou. He threw over the best free stafey in the nfl draft on the run which was also across his body.

Allen had the strongest arm not the best passer huge difference. If can hit constantly it 15-20 yard outs the far hash that will tell me more an qb am strength with accuracy then throwing 60 plus in shorts
Yes I know! I said Josh Rosen was the best pure passer in last years draft if you’d read the previous page of this thread  ;D

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51373 on: January 15, 2019, 08:12:04 pm »
Yes I know! I said Josh Rosen was the best pure passer in last years draft if you’d read the previous page of this thread  ;D

I think his point is that arm strength means jack if the rest of your game is shit, like Allen's.  ;)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51374 on: January 15, 2019, 08:44:44 pm »
I think his point is that arm strength means jack if the rest of your game is shit, like Allen's.  ;)
Josh Allen is very raw but is a better prospect than Kyler Murray in my opinion.

Josh Allen had such little talent around him aside from an on-off LeSean McCoy.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51375 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:21 pm »
The temperature for the Chiefs Pats game will be fun :D

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51376 on: January 15, 2019, 09:02:36 pm »
The temperature for the Chiefs Pats game will be fun :D
Will be a real throwback of a ball game.

Favours the Patriots  8)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51377 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08:37 pm »
Will be a real throwback of a ball game.

Favours the Patriots  8)

Chiefs should be winning this game.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #51378 on: January 18, 2019, 01:12:21 am »
you'd think so, i find it hard to make a case for the pats against that offence and the fact the defense plays man coverage while good at getting pressure on the qb - the recipe to shut brady down

to be honest im not even sure who i want to win, i'd like to see the kid go the whole way - the dude's been sensational and is mvp imo, then again altho for many years i refused to like brady cos i didnt want to be some fanboy, he won me over and i realised i came to hating to see him lose

so i don't know who i'll be rooting for, but prob the pats, i would love to see him get one more :D
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51379 on: January 18, 2019, 07:09:23 am »
up the chiefs

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51380 on: January 18, 2019, 08:08:54 am »

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51381 on: January 18, 2019, 09:00:05 am »
Shock!  ;D

As much as grumpy bill makes me laugh, 8 years in a row is a fantastic achievement but boring as fuck.

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #51382 on: January 18, 2019, 11:22:22 am »
Chiefs should be winning this game.
Big Bill has a 6-1 record against the leagues number 1 offense.

Should be a great game regardless
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #51383 on: January 18, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »
he won me over and i realised i came to hating to see him lose

That sounds like a serious condition and you should have it checked... Hope you get well soon.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51384 on: January 18, 2019, 12:44:23 pm »
Just popped into this thread to see people are writing off Belichick again :-)

Ironically, the Patriot's have much more experience in these expected conditions than the Chiefs, considering the Chiefs are rarely still playing in January.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51385 on: January 18, 2019, 01:39:58 pm »

Know you're only messing, but surely no oone in here has written off Bellicheck in any way?

Just that a lot of people don't want them winning for a whole host of different reasons, including people being bored with how good he is at this

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51386 on: January 18, 2019, 08:35:13 pm »

Ironically, the Patriot's have much more experience in these expected conditions than the Chiefs, considering the Chiefs are rarely still playing in January.
Brady is 3-4 in the post season on the road, hasn't won an away postseason game since 2007, lost last 3 Conference title games on the road,(2014and 2016 vs den and 2007 at Indy, they won at Sd the week before losing to indy), 2006 at den was the 4th loss they won the 2 before that both in Pitt in 2002 and 2005. Normally you have to though New England to make super bowl
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/playoffs.htm
Pats record this year on the road was 3-5 and was 8-0 at home. Win all your home games and split on the road(or win 5) normally get home field advantage.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51387 on: January 18, 2019, 10:13:27 pm »
all this 8 afc championship games in a row says more about their regular season consistency than anything else. after all, all they usually have to do to get into the championship game is win 1 game at home because they're always #1 or #2 seed.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51388 on: January 19, 2019, 09:09:04 pm »
Shame the Chiefs v Patriots is the late game tomorrow. Would like to watch it but I’m still a bit too fairwrather for that.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #51389 on: January 19, 2019, 09:13:44 pm »
Shame the Chiefs v Patriots is the late game tomorrow. Would like to watch it but I’m still a bit too fairwrather for that.

Will definitely be worth staying up for, can't wait for tomorrow actually it's going to be great.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51390 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:25 pm »
DL Denico Autry was fined $13,369 for excessive sexiness — excuse me, unsportsmanlike conduct — on his hip-swiveling sack dance in last week’s playoff loss

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51391 on: January 19, 2019, 10:06:11 pm »
Still not fully sure whether I'll stay up for the whole late game. Will decide depending on the score... ;)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51392 on: January 19, 2019, 10:31:21 pm »
I’ll be watching  ;D

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51393 on: January 19, 2019, 10:39:42 pm »
Who everybody thinks is winning tomorrow?
I think KC and New Orleans win, teams are very even but KC and NO have the two better QBs this season and with them pretty even team wise home teams and better passing teams get advantage for me.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #51394 on: January 19, 2019, 10:55:13 pm »
I've never understood why they don't have the conference title games on separate days this weekend.

You're going to have all the build up for the NFC game, everyone watches it, then it ends and they hand the trophy over and it immediately switches to the kickoff in the AFC game and you're not ready for it at all.

Have one on Saturday at 4.00 ET, everyone watches the build up and the post-game stuff, and do the same on Sunday.
Everyone's a winner, and I can go to bed at a reasonable time on Sunday night  ;)

Two home wins tomorrow. It's just such a huge advantage and the Chiefs have much more offensive weapons. NFC one will be tighter, but expect the Saints to get it done with that big support in the dome.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51395 on: January 19, 2019, 11:07:50 pm »
I've never understood why they don't have the conference title games on separate days this weekend.

You're going to have all the build up for the NFC game, everyone watches it, then it ends and they hand the trophy over and it immediately switches to the kickoff in the AFC game and you're not ready for it at all.

Have one on Saturday at 4.00 ET, everyone watches the build up and the post-game stuff, and do the same on Sunday.
Everyone's a winner, and I can go to bed at a reasonable time on Sunday night  ;)

Realistically, if they spread them across two nights, they'd obviously go for two peak time games and you'd be up till stupid o'clock two nights running instead of just one. ;D

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51396 on: January 19, 2019, 11:51:57 pm »

Two home wins tomorrow. It's just such a huge advantage and the Chiefs have much more offensive weapons. NFC one will be tighter, but expect the Saints to get it done with that big support in the dome.
I dont think the Saturday playoff rating is as good and plus wont be as fair to a team to get 6 days rest compared to 7 days this ways everybody getting 7 or 8 days. Plus Saturday night in this part of January college basketball ratings are heating up both Fox and CBS had games at 400 est or later. Sunday scheduling avoids that conflict

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51397 on: January 20, 2019, 12:10:46 am »
What is the weather like in KC? Any chance of a snow game or is it just freezing cold?

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51398 on: January 20, 2019, 12:17:10 am »
These fellas on the beeb show are great

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51399 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:50 am »
What is the weather like in KC? Any chance of a snow game or is it just freezing cold?
Just seems like cold weather with not a lot wind.
https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/64129:4:US