Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5733594 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #54960 on: February 26, 2020, 08:52:50 am »
Arsenal will be really interesting next season.

You can see where they’re trying to go with the team, but there are so many issues to solve.  Midfield and defence are huge issues... and yet they won’t have that much to spend.

Next season we will also see the value of Arteta as a coach.  3 to 4 months is usually enough time for the coaching to show.  Look at Lampard, the wheels have fallen off.  Look at Solskjaer, the wheels have fallen off.  They are both utterly crap, but it took some time to show itself.

Arteta?  He might be different, but we will see in the autumn.  I don’t doubt he can coach, but are his shoulders broad enough to carry this behemoth from the floor and get them to soar again?

Not sure if this is correct  :o

How many people said he would be a top manager on here?? He's done, and continues to do ok. 

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #54961 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:00 am »
To me it looks like 4 of the "traditional top six" are currently rebuilding. And of these four (ManUtd, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal), Arsenal have the best manager in place for future success. Followed by Chelsea.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54962 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:00 am »

You can see where they’re trying to go with the team, but there are so many issues to solve.  Midfield and defence are huge issues... and yet they won’t have that much to spend.

Next season we will also see the value of Arteta as a coach.  3 to 4 months is usually enough time for the coaching to show.  Look at Lampard, the wheels have fallen off.  Look at Solskjaer, the wheels have fallen off.  They are both utterly crap, but it took some time to show itself.

Arteta?  He might be different, but we will see in the autumn.  I don’t doubt he can coach, but are his shoulders broad enough to carry this behemoth from the floor and get them to soar again?

Arteta does feel a little different for me. He hasn't had that new manager bump where the players suddenly develop some pride and start racing around the pitch, and he hasn't had a player suddenly hit a purple patch under him. The players are still the same and the issues are still there, but he seems to have given the team some structure and a way of playing that can cover their issues, which is all you can really ask for from a new manager. I don't see how they suddenly start signing the right players though, that's been a problem for them for a while.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54963 on: February 26, 2020, 12:14:53 pm »
For some reason, not totally sure why, Arteta was being touted as a potentially top manager for years, even when he was playing. In the same way Ole was famous for having a baby face, and Lamps for speaking 2 languages, and leaving his Spanish wife for the girl from morning tv.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54964 on: February 26, 2020, 01:45:36 pm »
For some reason, not totally sure why, Arteta was being touted as a potentially top manager for years, even when he was playing. In the same way Ole was famous for having a baby face, and Lamps for speaking 2 languages, and leaving his Spanish wife for the girl from morning tv.

Hair. He has really nice hair.

People have faith in someone with a sizable Brillo pad on their head
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54965 on: February 26, 2020, 04:09:44 pm »

While they eventually need to completely overhaul both the mf and def, getting one player for each who has the talent or presence to raise those around them, you could easily see them take significant steps forward, although obviously finding those right two players won't be easy as VVD's don't grow on trees after all.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54966 on: February 27, 2020, 10:54:59 pm »
Some of their celebrations after scoring meaningless goals, or goals to get them out of situations they shouldn't be in, are outright weird. Going back to when the played us in the League Cup, Lacazette's goal to put them 4-0 up against Newcastle, and Aubameyang's goal tonight. Acting like they've just achieved everything there is to achieve. Shows mentality issues I think.

Strange club; strange set of players.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54967 on: February 27, 2020, 11:02:01 pm »
They celebrated that goal more than we celebrated Origi's second against Barcelona.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #54968 on: February 27, 2020, 11:03:07 pm »
It's all about mentality. They've been shit for years now. Expectations are at an all time low. Beating Newcastle 4-0 and scoring what they thought was the goal that would put them through in the Europa League is about as good as it's going to get for Arsenal these days. And then suddenly it got worse.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #54969 on: February 27, 2020, 11:13:01 pm »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54970 on: February 27, 2020, 11:33:36 pm »
That Robbie lad off Arsenal Fan TV drives around in a fuckin' Bentley, no fuckin' wonder. He's making boat load of money off nights like this.  ;D

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #54971 on: February 28, 2020, 12:15:08 am »
Didn't Aubameyang score with less than ten minutes to go? I know they kind of went crazy, but there was probably a great deal of relief at that point. Think a few of you may have forgotten what it's like to be in a rut like Arsenal's. In our more depressing campaigns (2010/11, 2014/15) every goal felt like a big moment because we struggled so much. In fact this game reminded me of our ill-fated Europa campaigns back then. Hopes raised and then dashed.

I don't disagree that they're weak mentally though. As a club they have been for a while. Since the unbeaten side started to split up really.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54972 on: February 28, 2020, 12:31:12 am »
That was a suckerpunch alright. The fact that Aubameyang's goal was that good made it worse. Reminds me of when Salah scored a worldie against Tottenham in the last minutes only for Kane to equalise with a penalty.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54973 on: February 28, 2020, 12:34:19 am »
In fact this game reminded me of our ill-fated Europa campaigns back then. Hopes raised and then dashed.

Indeed. The anfield game vs. Zenit where Suarez scored 2 free kicks comes to mind.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54974 on: February 28, 2020, 12:40:01 am »
That Robbie lad off Arsenal Fan TV drives around in a fuckin' Bentley, no fuckin' wonder. He's making boat load of money off nights like this.  ;D
thats a joke, he drives a range I think going off some of those videos

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54975 on: February 28, 2020, 12:41:02 am »
Indeed. The anfield game vs. Zenit where Suarez scored 2 free kicks comes to mind.
and the atletico semi 10 years ago

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54976 on: February 28, 2020, 12:43:21 am »
thats a joke, he drives a range I think going off some of those videos

A man like him can have a Bentley and a Range mate.  ;D

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54977 on: February 28, 2020, 12:50:30 am »
A man like him can have a Bentley and a Range mate.  ;D
right now he’d be slummin it with just a Bentley and a range!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54978 on: February 28, 2020, 12:54:30 am »
They're absolutely dreadful, so lobsided

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54979 on: February 28, 2020, 01:29:57 am »

Braga at home was another one. Same with Beşiktaş away.

It was always so frustrating to be eliminated.  You feel like you should be beating these sides but the team just couldn’t quite pull off the results.
King Kenny.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54980 on: February 28, 2020, 01:43:51 am »

It was always so frustrating to be eliminated.  You feel like you should be beating these sides but the team just couldn’t quite pull off the results.
oh god that braga game I’d erased from my memory, possibly the worst anfield home performance in my lifetime, maybe brondby around 95 I think was worse (and that defeat was probably on a par with that arsenal one tonight) but at least braga got to the final and beat a good benfica side in the semis that year and we had just gotten rid of the cancers so somewhat excusable

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #54981 on: February 28, 2020, 01:51:29 am »

Beşiktaş away was one of the most incredible away fixtures I have watched Liverpool play (and that was on the TV!).

The Beşiktaş fans were absolutely mental for 90 minutes.

Just last year I was in Austria and my taxi driver was Turkish and a Beşiktaş fan and we started talking football - the way he spoke about that win over Liverpool was like they had won the Champions League.

Even though we lost - it was still fascinating to see what the victory meant & still means to Beşiktaş fans to this day.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #54982 on: February 28, 2020, 06:51:08 am »
They're absolutely dreadful, so lobsided

Was Nayim playing last night?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54983 on: February 28, 2020, 07:12:46 am »
They celebrated that goal more than we celebrated Origi's second against Barcelona.

So? Have you forgotten what it’s like being in the position they are in. I’m pretty sure we had those moments as well. Don’t really get why people highlight stuff like this.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54984 on: February 28, 2020, 08:13:12 am »
That was a suckerpunch alright. The fact that Aubameyang's goal was that good made it worse. Reminds me of when Salah scored a worldie against Tottenham in the last minutes only for Kane to equalise with a penalty.

Salah's goal would've been considered an all time great had it not been for that silly penalty. Another wondergoal spoiled by the result is Coates' against QPR, I think. Sucks for Aubameyang. he'll remember the miss a lot more than the goal.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #54985 on: February 28, 2020, 09:19:32 am »
Still cant get my head around how Arsenal managed to bottle this. Just goes to show that 1-0 leads (even with an away goal) are paper thin, esp. when you can't defend properly.  They got kind of complacent. My brother, who's supported Arsenal since we were kids, is devastated.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #54986 on: February 28, 2020, 09:31:35 am »
Still cant get my head around how Arsenal managed to bottle this. Just goes to show that 1-0 leads (even with an away goal) are paper thin, esp. when you can't defend properly.  They got kind of complacent. My brother, who's supported Arsenal since we were kids, is devastated.
Simple... They're Arsenal. It's the most Arsenal thing to do these days. Arteta has so much work ahead of him to rectify that mess of a club. He needs at least a new backline before even addressing the other problems he inherited.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54987 on: February 28, 2020, 09:43:26 am »
Shite performance yields shite result. Don't know if it's mentality, attitude, complacency, tiredness, lack of quality, or as I suspect a combination of them all.

Probably the last big hurrah for a few members of the team (at least it should be anyway).

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #54988 on: February 28, 2020, 10:01:43 am »

Last time i had a semi was about 10 years ago

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #54989 on: February 28, 2020, 12:44:56 pm »
Last time i had a semi was about 10 years ago
We don't need to hear any more about your owl fetish  :-*
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54990 on: February 28, 2020, 01:08:30 pm »
To Neville and Carra: If Aubameyang is a PL "great" he scores that chance at the end.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54991 on: February 28, 2020, 02:05:39 pm »
To Neville and Carra: If Aubameyang is a PL "great" he scores that chance at the end.

I don't think you can define greatness via the miss of one chance. He's a great player and has been for some time now.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54992 on: February 28, 2020, 02:53:53 pm »
I recall us celebrating similarly when Benayoun scored in extra time against Atletico Madrid in the semis of the Europa League. Atletico scored minutes later and the rest is history. Just don't over celebrate goals in extra time as a rule of thumb. Players are tired at that stage of the game making mistakes more likely.

I don't generally feel a lot of sympathy for the Gunners but that was difficult to watch.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #54993 on: February 28, 2020, 03:00:09 pm »
I don't generally feel a lot of sympathy for the Gunners but that was difficult to watch.
I can sympathise a little with Arsenal, partly because they're the most likeable of the big Premier League clubs and partly because we've been in their situation ourselves.

A lucky cup run was their last chance at a Champions League return. They'd be better off not qualifying for the Europa next season and putting all their effort into the top four. Otherwise I can see them ending up in the European wilderness.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #54994 on: February 28, 2020, 03:18:53 pm »
Was Nayim playing last night?
No he was stuck on the half way line.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54995 on: February 28, 2020, 03:37:21 pm »

You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #54996 on: February 28, 2020, 03:40:34 pm »
I don't give a shite about Arsenal over-celebrating goals, it's nothing to get too het up over!

But that photo from West Brom, suprising to see a Liverpool fan use it as some sort of argument for teams over celebrating, I would have thought people here understood what the purpose and significance of it was by now.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54997 on: February 28, 2020, 03:49:11 pm »

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54998 on: February 28, 2020, 04:09:53 pm »
Lacazette has been woeful in the last few games I've watched him. They should try and get rid in the summer.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54999 on: February 28, 2020, 04:15:21 pm »

Thanking the fans for their support isn't the same as overcelebrating goals.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.