Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5717989 times)

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #54920 on: February 2, 2020, 04:43:17 pm »
When did Arsenal last win a league game??
Believer

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54921 on: February 2, 2020, 04:48:27 pm »
When did Arsenal last win a league game??

United 2-0.

Crazy how utterly irrelevant these are. Their focus has to be 40 points now?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54922 on: February 2, 2020, 04:56:17 pm »
Imagine seeing David Luiz and thinking "He'll shore up our defence good and proper."

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #54923 on: February 2, 2020, 04:59:02 pm »
What is the record for having maximum draws in a PL season?
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #54924 on: February 2, 2020, 05:18:21 pm »
Crazy how utterly irrelevant these are. Their focus has to be 40 points now?

This is the table since the October break.  Add a point to them and Burnley for today, but any which way it’s not good.  It’s perplexing because they’re not losing that many, but nor do they look like winning many from what I can gather.  It’s genuine 1ppg game form.

I reckon this is shaping up for a 40+pts relegation bar.  They should still manage it, even at the present rate, but it’s lucky for them they had that strong start or they’d be looking fucked right now.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #54925 on: February 2, 2020, 07:43:49 pm »
A serious Arsenal fan on 606 reckons they will win the Title next season. Savage ripping into him and taking the piss, this fan really is deadly serious!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54926 on: February 2, 2020, 07:55:29 pm »
A serious Arsenal fan on 606 reckons they will win the Title next season. Savage ripping into him and taking the piss, this fan really is deadly serious!

It's probably the same guy that phoned up after we lost at Anfield that was saying we were going to win the league this season.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #54927 on: February 2, 2020, 08:08:51 pm »
It's probably the same guy that phoned up after we lost at Anfield that was saying we were going to win the league this season.

Yes that's the fella, he admitted that prediction was a bit naive, but next season it's in the bag! He got a bit annoyed in the end saying 606 only have him on to make a joke of him, with outlandish predictions like that, he's  a bit of a sitting target!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #54928 on: February 2, 2020, 09:03:14 pm »
From what I can gather arteta is asking the right things to happen but doesn't have the fitness base in the players. A proper transfer window and preseason needs to happen before there is much point in judging him.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54929 on: February 2, 2020, 09:28:12 pm »
I'm Impressed with arteta, he's making the right decisions with the players at his disposal. The league season is a write off but I see us trying to play to a plan for the first time in 3 years, and even our rubbish players are actually putting the effort in.
I'm prepared to give him time, I hope he gets some backing, I think he's got potential as a manager, and city seen to be missing him too.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54930 on: February 2, 2020, 09:30:49 pm »
From what I can gather arteta is asking the right things to happen but doesn't have the fitness base in the players. A proper transfer window and preseason needs to happen before there is much point in judging him.

Exactly. Fitness base & some of the personnel. There's only so much of a pressing game you can do with the likes of Xhaka & Ozil in the team. Xhaka had to go to left back today, the middle of defence was Mustafi & Luiz! He's a football manager, not a miracle worker lol.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54931 on: February 2, 2020, 10:37:41 pm »
Not sure how much city are missing him, but any cause for dropped points from them makes me happier right now.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54932 on: February 3, 2020, 03:37:06 am »
I'm Impressed with arteta, he's making the right decisions with the players at his disposal. The league season is a write off but I see us trying to play to a plan for the first time in 3 years, and even our rubbish players are actually putting the effort in.
I'm prepared to give him time, I hope he gets some backing, I think he's got potential as a manager, and city seen to be missing him too.

Think the backing eill be key for Arteta. There's definitely an improvement in work rate in the squad which has resulted in a much more defensively stable unit. But the squad still doesn't have the quality in it to still provide enough of a threat going forward with this more solid set-up.

There's two ways Arsenal can go about it really. Either they invest in defenders that can defend in a much more expansive system or they invest in midfielders and attackers that can provide a bigger threat with this much more solid system.

It's a big summer for Arteta where he needs to start making big changes to his squad. If the board don't allow him to do what's needed, then he's frankly wasting his time.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #54933 on: February 3, 2020, 04:02:45 am »
We win it this year and the clock starts ticking on them next. 16 years since they won the league
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54934 on: February 3, 2020, 05:45:34 am »
What is the record for having maximum draws in a PL season?

By maximum do you mean most?

Most draws in a season (38 games): 17
Newcastle United (2003–04)
Aston Villa (2006–07, 2011–12)
Sunderland (2014–15)
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54935 on: February 3, 2020, 08:37:46 am »
Think the backing eill be key for Arteta. There's definitely an improvement in work rate in the squad which has resulted in a much more defensively stable unit. But the squad still doesn't have the quality in it to still provide enough of a threat going forward with this more solid set-up.

There's two ways Arsenal can go about it really. Either they invest in defenders that can defend in a much more expansive system or they invest in midfielders and attackers that can provide a bigger threat with this much more solid system.

It's a big summer for Arteta where he needs to start making big changes to his squad. If the board don't allow him to do what's needed, then he's frankly wasting his time.

I think we lost a bit of our attacking game yesterday with having to put Xhaka at left back. It's a bit of a freak time with Tierney, Kolasniac & then Saka all out injured. On top of that we need to have a look at how Mari settles (1 of his main attributes seemingly was the ability to play & organise a high line), & also Saliba to come in the summer. If Mari settles well, we might not need to go out & buy defenders in the summer. If he doesn't, then we'll likely need to go out & strengthen that area again.

The midfield & forward line need a bit of work. There's a lot of things up in the air there. Will Auba & Laca to a lesser extent renew, & do we actually want them to? Can we find someone to take Ozil & get a suitable replacement? Are Xhaka & Torriera staying, & how does Arteta see them going forward? Does Arteta trust Pepe?
I just hope they are brave in their decisions, & sentiment etc doesn't play a part in their decision making.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #54936 on: February 3, 2020, 11:21:19 am »
For some reason I forced myself to sit through Burnley and Arsenal yesterday, and it went exactly as I expected it to go. As in I expected Burnley to get something from the game and probably be the closest to snatching the victory. I feel bad for some of our resident gooners on here because they're sound. I don't know, they'll have to tell me but this surely has to be the worst Arsenal side in a good 30 odd years if not more. I look around and I see absolute dross in the likes of Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, Xhaka. Then just complete averageness from Guendouzi, Torreira, Saka and a few others. And of course someone completely not arsed in Ozil. Arteta has a hell of a job on his hands because this Arsenal side is genuinely a massive rebuild away from being able to compete for a Champions League place and then actually compete with the sides in the Champions League once they get there.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54937 on: February 4, 2020, 09:00:52 am »
Chances for the title are officially over for them now, because they can't even mathematically finish above us.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #54938 on: February 4, 2020, 09:06:56 am »
He's won 1 of 7 league games in charge.  Lol.

But honestly will be interested in what he does next season.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #54939 on: February 4, 2020, 09:22:09 am »
He's won 1 of 7 league games in charge.  Lol.

But honestly will be interested in what he does next season.

They've only won 6 games so far and we're in February
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54940 on: February 4, 2020, 11:13:18 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU5mJc6FJ9M
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54941 on: February 4, 2020, 12:31:05 pm »
For some reason I forced myself to sit through Burnley and Arsenal yesterday, and it went exactly as I expected it to go. As in I expected Burnley to get something from the game and probably be the closest to snatching the victory. I feel bad for some of our resident gooners on here because they're sound. I don't know, they'll have to tell me but this surely has to be the worst Arsenal side in a good 30 odd years if not more. I look around and I see absolute dross in the likes of Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, Xhaka. Then just complete averageness from Guendouzi, Torreira, Saka and a few others. And of course someone completely not arsed in Ozil. Arteta has a hell of a job on his hands because this Arsenal side is genuinely a massive rebuild away from being able to compete for a Champions League place and then actually compete with the sides in the Champions League once they get there.

It's not a great squad of players by now, that's for sure. I'm sure given time Arteta will be able to at least improve things. It's nonsense to make any bold claims like he's the 2nd coming of Pep or anything ridiculous like that, or that he'll have us challenging beside you guys next season, because that's just mental thinking, but on the other hand i don't think anyone can make any bold predictions that he's going to need to build a full new team, or it will be years before we can compete for a top 4 place again.

Folk forget we were only 1 point off top 4 last year, & apart from some Emery madness towards the end of the season we really should have secured 3rd, if not 4th. We've changed a few players, but none that you would think were irreplaceable.
We need to get players back fit, we need a full pre season under Arteta, we need a bit of a reboot in the summer, & we need to go again. There's positivity around, not because of results, but because we can see glimmers of structure & organisation. You can see a plan, even though a lot of the time the players aren't fit enough, or good enough to implement it. I hope the manager gets time & a bit of backing to see where he can take us.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54942 on: February 4, 2020, 02:19:54 pm »
I’m a bit on the fence about the purported rebuilds that teams need to undergo - Arsenal and Chelsea specifically. It doesn’t take a huge amount to move the needle because there is a decent enough chance the leading pack will not get everything right also. Once a manager has time to imprint ideas then you have a new ballgame.

Next season I’d expect arsenal to be 10x more fit at a minimum. Also only target defenders this summer. The midfield and attack is ok enough.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54943 on: February 17, 2020, 09:40:11 am »
We're going to be Liverpools main challengers for the league next year!  ;)

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #54944 on: February 17, 2020, 10:24:45 am »

That sounds better than fighting Manchester United for 9th place. Good luck to you.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54945 on: February 17, 2020, 01:06:44 pm »

Yeh I can easily see us finishing within 40 points of Liverpool next season, they’ll be shitting it.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54946 on: February 17, 2020, 01:37:46 pm »
Yeh I can easily see us finishing within 40 points of Liverpool next season, they’ll be shitting it.

Listen, when we buy top players like Danny Blind, Pape Gueye & Ryan Fraser to go with what we have, we'll flying!  ;D

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #54947 on: February 17, 2020, 04:34:20 pm »
Well, congrats at staying up :scarf

The Arsenal relegation battle was interesting while it lasted...

Joking aside, it's a bit insane to think that given their season has been that they still have a realistic go at the Champions League and have only lost six games so far!
Linudden.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54948 on: February 17, 2020, 04:47:23 pm »
Well, congrats at staying up :scarf

The Arsenal relegation battle was interesting while it lasted...

Joking aside, it's a bit insane to think that given their season has been that they still have a realistic go at the Champions League and have only lost six games so far!

We've lost the same amount of games as Man City & Leicester, 2 less than Chelsea.

Unfortunately, we've won the same amount as Palace, Bournemouth & Villa.  :butt

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #54949 on: February 24, 2020, 06:38:03 am »
Bukayo Saka,  turned 18 this month, two world class assists and a world class finish. Of all the kids coming through, he's the best, got the lot.

Still doing it 5 months later.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54950 on: February 24, 2020, 09:10:38 am »
Still doing it 5 months later.

Do you think he's good enough to make as a left winger? Or do you think he has more chance as a wing back / full back. There seems to be a school of thought that he doesn't have quite the attributes to be a really top winger, but he could go on to be an elite level full back?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54951 on: February 24, 2020, 10:26:02 am »
Do you think he's good enough to make as a left winger? Or do you think he has more chance as a wing back / full back. There seems to be a school of thought that he doesn't have quite the attributes to be a really top winger, but he could go on to be an elite level full back?

Hes still so young that its hard to tell now, he hasn't fully developed physically yet. Remember when Bale was a useless left back for about 4 years, then exploded into a world class attacking left sided machine. Saka is still better going forward than defending but his attitude and temperament is what makes him stand out now, we have a lot of skillful youngsters (Willock, Nelson, Nketiah, Smith Rowe), they don't yet seem to have his temperament.
There is nothing wrong with being a versatile player too, even if we got a world class winger, he wont be playing every game so will need someone to step in at some stage.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54952 on: February 24, 2020, 10:30:05 am »
Hes still so young that its hard to tell now, he hasn't fully developed physically yet. Remember when Bale was a useless left back for about 4 years, then exploded into a world class attacking left sided machine. Saka is still better going forward than defending but his attitude and temperament is what makes him stand out now, we have a lot of skillful youngsters (Willock, Nelson, Nketiah, Smith Rowe), they don't yet seem to have his temperament.
There is nothing wrong with being a versatile player too, even if we got a world class winger, he wont be playing every game so will need someone to step in at some stage.

With that monster warchest you've got?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54953 on: February 24, 2020, 10:49:14 am »
With that monster warchest you've got?

Not sure I'd want us to go out & sign 1 anyway to be honest, quite happy to see how the likes of Martinelli & Saka develop there. More interested in sorting the central areas first.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54954 on: February 25, 2020, 04:37:33 pm »
Arsenal fans watching Liverpool for the rest of the season.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54955 on: February 25, 2020, 05:01:52 pm »
Elite level Klopp fullback.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54956 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:29 pm »
Arsenal fans watching Liverpool for the rest of the season.

From wanting us to stop spurs winning big ears before them to praying we don't take away the only bragging rights they have on the space of a season ....

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #54957 on: February 25, 2020, 11:01:48 pm »
Arsenal will be really interesting next season.

You can see where they’re trying to go with the team, but there are so many issues to solve.  Midfield and defence are huge issues... and yet they won’t have that much to spend.

Next season we will also see the value of Arteta as a coach.  3 to 4 months is usually enough time for the coaching to show.  Look at Lampard, the wheels have fallen off.  Look at Solskjaer, the wheels have fallen off.  They are both utterly crap, but it took some time to show itself.

Arteta?  He might be different, but we will see in the autumn.  I don’t doubt he can coach, but are his shoulders broad enough to carry this behemoth from the floor and get them to soar again?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54958 on: February 26, 2020, 08:40:13 am »
Elite level Klopp fullback.

I'll be surprised if he was to leave Arsenal just now. He's only 18, getting regular game time, been with the club since he was a boy, close to his family & the Nigerian community in London. He's got plenty of time to move on to bigger & better things lol.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54959 on: February 26, 2020, 08:42:59 am »
I'll be surprised if he was to leave Arsenal just now. He's only 18, getting regular game time, been with the club since he was a boy, close to his family & the Nigerian community in London. He's got plenty of time to move on to bigger & better things lol.
Yeah I think he'd be best signing a 3/4 year deal and then seeing where he/Arsenal are in a couple years. We'll take him off your hands then  ;D