Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5736417 times)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #54880 on: January 2, 2020, 10:05:06 am »
So funny how unfit they are.

Reminds me of early Klopp days when it was muscle injuries galore. They managed only 45 mins of pressing last night, Arteta will have a big job on his hands trying to find guys who can press as much as he wants them to without getting all the injuries , I can't see him doing this with the likes of Xhaka and Ozil in the long run. Promising start but still a tons of question marks on whether he can implement his ideas long term.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54881 on: January 2, 2020, 01:56:03 pm »
So funny how unfit they are.

Reminds me of early Klopp days when it was muscle injuries galore. They managed only 45 mins of pressing last night, Arteta will have a big job on his hands trying to find guys who can press as much as he wants them to without getting all the injuries , I can't see him doing this with the likes of Xhaka and Ozil in the long run. Promising start but still a tons of question marks on whether he can implement his ideas long term.

Like you say, they don't have the level of fitness required yet, & yes, it might be like the early part of Klopps reign, but you know what, I'd take that just now. All I want to begin with is an identity again, a team that looks like it has some sort of plan, & commitment, even if sometimes the players are inconsistent & we get some strange results, as long as the foundations are put in place, players that suit the style more can be purchased.

The injuries haven't helped, the full backs being out has hamstrung us, players like Xhaka had been ill, Ceballos been injured etc so we've not really had the chance to rotate better. You'd imagine the formation with Ozil is a bit of a means to an end just now, it won't be a long term thing, and it seems Xhaka is staying until the summer until a bit more of an athletic player can be brought in.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54882 on: January 2, 2020, 02:28:51 pm »
Good structure and sound work imo from Arteta, initial impressions and all. They showed solid planning with their pressing and possession game, more of a structure there in half a game than what Ole's shown in his entire tenure.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #54883 on: January 15, 2020, 08:45:56 pm »
We've signed the best thing in their club, their doctor.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54884 on: January 15, 2020, 08:50:55 pm »
Here you go Chops

Arsenal advertise to replace head of sports medicine Gary O’Driscoll, who is set to join Liverpool.

https://theathletic.com/1536086/2020/01/15/arsenal-odriscoll-liverpool/

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #54885 on: January 15, 2020, 08:52:47 pm »
Here you go Chops

Arsenal advertise to replace head of sports medicine Gary O’Driscoll, who is set to join Liverpool.

https://theathletic.com/1536086/2020/01/15/arsenal-odriscoll-liverpool/

:thumbup

Thats the fella, fella.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #54886 on: January 16, 2020, 09:37:32 am »
well I hope we got that right, one thing for sure about Arsenal over the past few years is they have had all sorts of injuries :/

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54887 on: January 22, 2020, 01:43:05 am »
Quite enjoyed seeing Arsenal players show some fight and a bit of nastiness in their play, something that has been severely lacking for so many years now.  Recent Arsenal teams would have folded going down to 10 men.

Arteta may not be getting the results yet, but if given the time I think he could turn out to be a very good move for Arsenal. 

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54888 on: January 22, 2020, 09:04:33 am »
Quite enjoyed seeing Arsenal players show some fight and a bit of nastiness in their play, something that has been severely lacking for so many years now.  Recent Arsenal teams would have folded going down to 10 men.

Arteta may not be getting the results yet, but if given the time I think he could turn out to be a very good move for Arsenal.

I'm happy with how things are going so far. Like you say, results wise it could have been better, but you can see we look better organised, we don't look quite as open, & we are showing effort & desire which to be fair should be the bare minimum but we know quite often that's not the case.
He's still having to work with guys like Mustafi whos probably our 5th choice centre half, & little of no full backs, so there's work to be done to address that.

Still a lot of work to be done though, i'm looking forward to see how the young guys like Martinelli & Saliba develop under him & with the team long term. We need to be better in the market though to support these guys, to give us better balance & players that can carry out the managers style.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54889 on: January 22, 2020, 09:30:56 am »
Would love us to bid Ł40m +Ł1 for Martinelli.

Arsenal are awful but how they managed to sneak him in so easily I'll never know. He's not 19 till June.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:41:05 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54890 on: January 22, 2020, 10:16:16 am »
I'm happy with how things are going so far. Like you say, results wise it could have been better, but you can see we look better organised, we don't look quite as open, & we are showing effort & desire which to be fair should be the bare minimum but we know quite often that's not the case.
He's still having to work with guys like Mustafi whos probably our 5th choice centre half, & little of no full backs, so there's work to be done to address that.

Still a lot of work to be done though, i'm looking forward to see how the young guys like Martinelli & Saliba develop under him & with the team long term. We need to be better in the market though to support these guys, to give us better balance & players that can carry out the managers style.

The squad needs an overhaul but the basis for a successful team are there. One gets the impression that Arteta knows what he wants from the team and he will eventually get his personnel to execute his ideas too. Very important for Arsenal to recruit well.

Also, Martinelli fucking hell! He looks quite good from what I've seen of him. Wouldn't be surprised if Barcelona are interested in him in a couple of years.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54891 on: January 22, 2020, 10:41:32 am »

Arsenal are awful but how they managed to sneak him in so easily I'll never know. He's not 19 till June.
Connections to agents. Downside is having to sign players like David Luiz as well.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54892 on: January 22, 2020, 10:44:59 am »

He looks special. We should enquire about him.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54893 on: January 22, 2020, 10:48:12 am »
He looks special. We should enquire about him.

They could use the money to buy a CB
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54894 on: January 22, 2020, 11:12:45 am »

A wee Edu special that 1 i think. At least he seems to be the 1 getting the credit.

Looks like the Rags missed out on him as well.  :lickin

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-arsenal-martinelli-pogba-17445626
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:15:31 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54895 on: January 22, 2020, 11:13:49 am »

Swap with Lovren.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #54896 on: January 22, 2020, 11:25:25 am »
Connections to agents. Downside is having to sign players like David Luiz as well.

They got him from the 3rd or 4th division in Brazil, he's one hell of a find. Would have to assume Edu picked him out with a scouting connection.

The name Martinelli must of course mean he's got a dodgy Italian passport to circumvent the work permit laws :D

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54897 on: January 22, 2020, 11:30:21 am »
They got him from the 3rd or 4th division in Brazil, he's one hell of a find. Would have to assume Edu picked him out with a scouting connection.

The name Martinelli must of course mean he's got a dodgy Italian passport to circumvent the work permit laws :D

Correct on both counts.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/gabriel-martinelli-arsenal-transfer-news-16369964

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54898 on: January 22, 2020, 11:44:43 am »
Impressed with Arteta, I didn't think the turn around in mentality and character could happen with this group of brain dead players. Very encouraging signs, now we just need better players.

Martinelli is becoming very important, at both ends of the field, his work rate is immense. With Auba suspended, if we didn't have Martinelli wed be fighting relegation.

Dont think it was a coincidence that we looked much better when Luiz got red and Ozil was subbed.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54899 on: January 22, 2020, 11:46:28 am »

Edu is represented by Kia Joorabchian who helped with the martinelli and Luiz transfers. And likely will or has worked on others (kurzawa who they are linked to just signed with Kia's agency). It's what he did with Chelsea before.

Probably did some scouting on him but doubt it happens with the close relationship Joorabchian has with them now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:02:24 pm by Chris~ »

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #54900 on: January 22, 2020, 12:22:39 pm »
Edu is represented by Kia Joorabchian who helped with the martinelli and Luiz transfers. And likely will or has worked on others (kurzawa who they are linked to just signed with Kia's agency). It's what he did with Chelsea before.

Probably did some scouting on him but doubt it happens with the close relationship Joorabchian has with them now.
It's really grim that agents have these kind of holds on clubs now.

I remember hearing the Gedson Fernandes transfer was one that Mourinho organised o get on the good side of the agent. It's like clubs would rather keep these guys happy than go out and find the player they need.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #54901 on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:34 pm »
It's really grim that agents have these kind of holds on clubs now.

I remember hearing the Gedson Fernandes transfer was one that Mourinho organised o get on the good side of the agent. It's like clubs would rather keep these guys happy than go out and find the player they need.
Agents have got it made. It's like taking sweets from a Bebe
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54903 on: January 23, 2020, 07:22:58 am »

Yes, recruitment, intelligent recruitment will be a big determining factor here.  Often it can take a few windows to cycle through some players to get the right fit.  Look at Pep with City, that even took time and he had an endless sum of money to spend, our very own Klopp took a few seasons and some players that maybe weren't at the required level.  Are you at all concerned about the decision in the summer to prioritise spending all that money on Pepe over some quality defender(s).  To me that seemed a really bad decision and I'd be concerned if that person is still at the club.  Is that Edu?  Obviously how well he works with Arteta and Arteta's ideas will drive a lot of your success on the field.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54904 on: January 23, 2020, 08:43:16 am »
Yes, recruitment, intelligent recruitment will be a big determining factor here.  Often it can take a few windows to cycle through some players to get the right fit.  Look at Pep with City, that even took time and he had an endless sum of money to spend, our very own Klopp took a few seasons and some players that maybe weren't at the required level.  Are you at all concerned about the decision in the summer to prioritise spending all that money on Pepe over some quality defender(s).  To me that seemed a really bad decision and I'd be concerned if that person is still at the club.  Is that Edu?  Obviously how well he works with Arteta and Arteta's ideas will drive a lot of your success on the field.

With the Copa America being on, i don't think Edu was 100% involved that last window. I would imagine now him & Sanllehi will be the main driving forces with Arteta's input of course. As for the defensive situation, i don't think it was totally planned out that way. I think firstly they wanted Saliba to come in straight away, but eventually agreed to St Etienne's request to let the player go back on loan for the year.

Secondly, i think they underestimated Koscielny's desire to leave. I think they thought they could get 1 more year from him then allow him to leave next season.  Hence, Luiz being signed late in the window after funds were spent elsewhere.
We've been unfortunate with Tierney getting injured again, & obviously Bellerin is taking a while to get to full fitness.

Apparently the thinking behind Pepe was to try & make us more dangerous in the away games. Our home form was fine generally, but we struggled away from home, as apart from Aubameyang we had no pace in the team. I think the idea was to be more compact, & to be able to hit on the counter more. However, the players struggled with Emery's tactics, having Torriera playing so high up the park sometimes & having Xhaka as sole defensive midfielder was madness, he chopped & changed personnel & formation constantly, & the players looked lost & confused. 

Under Emery, i'm not sure another good defender would have made that much difference to be honest, as we left the defence exposed time & time again. Under Arteta though, we look tactically better. We now need to improve some personnel within it.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #54905 on: January 23, 2020, 09:21:36 am »
To be fair, several clubs have spent big money on Luiz - Chelsea twice! He once held the record transfer fee for a defender. I've no idea why, I think he's an awful player. As well as his own mistakes he spreads panic across the rest of the team.

And Arsenal proved they're better without him, even if it means playing with 10 men.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54906 on: January 23, 2020, 09:45:13 am »
To be fair, several clubs have spent big money on Luiz - Chelsea twice! He once held the record transfer fee for a defender. I've no idea why, I think he's an awful player. As well as his own mistakes he spreads panic across the rest of the team.

And Arsenal proved they're better without him, even if it means playing with 10 men.

I have absolutely no evidence other than it being PSG and Chelsea involved, but I'm fully convinced there was something very dodgy about Luiz being sold to Chelsea and then brought back a couple of seasons later. I'm sure it was all pre-planned.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54907 on: January 23, 2020, 10:37:27 am »

Remember watching him at Benfica playing LB and he really impressed me.  He did play as full back once or twice for Chelsea but for whatever reason - maybe personal preference - since his Benfica days he's always played CB and awful most of the time.  I think you could draw similarities to Vertonghen who I think is another incredibly overrated and error prone CB who to my eyes has looked better in a full back position.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54908 on: January 23, 2020, 10:46:48 am »
With the Copa America being on, i don't think Edu was 100% involved that last window. I would imagine now him & Sanllehi will be the main driving forces with Arteta's input of course. As for the defensive situation, i don't think it was totally planned out that way. I think firstly they wanted Saliba to come in straight away, but eventually agreed to St Etienne's request to let the player go back on loan for the year.

Secondly, i think they underestimated Koscielny's desire to leave. I think they thought they could get 1 more year from him then allow him to leave next season.  Hence, Luiz being signed late in the window after funds were spent elsewhere.
We've been unfortunate with Tierney getting injured again, & obviously Bellerin is taking a while to get to full fitness.

Apparently the thinking behind Pepe was to try & make us more dangerous in the away games. Our home form was fine generally, but we struggled away from home, as apart from Aubameyang we had no pace in the team. I think the idea was to be more compact, & to be able to hit on the counter more. However, the players struggled with Emery's tactics, having Torriera playing so high up the park sometimes & having Xhaka as sole defensive midfielder was madness, he chopped & changed personnel & formation constantly, & the players looked lost & confused. 

Under Emery, i'm not sure another good defender would have made that much difference to be honest, as we left the defence exposed time & time again. Under Arteta though, we look tactically better. We now need to improve some personnel within it.

Interesting insights and makes a lot of sense, greatly appreciated. 

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #54909 on: January 23, 2020, 11:37:38 am »
Remember watching him at Benfica playing LB and he really impressed me.  He did play as full back once or twice for Chelsea but for whatever reason - maybe personal preference - since his Benfica days he's always played CB and awful most of the time.  I think you could draw similarities to Vertonghen who I think is another incredibly overrated and error prone CB who to my eyes has looked better in a full back position.

Vertonghen has always been way way better than Luiz.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54910 on: January 23, 2020, 11:52:09 am »
Vertonghen has always been way way better than Luiz.

Ah...but big Sideshow Bob would just say look at his medals. Champions League winner, 2x Europa League winner, Premier League winner, 2x FA Cup winner.

Vertonghen's medals for for Spurs...... :duh

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54911 on: January 23, 2020, 01:27:36 pm »

We did sign Saliba who is highly rated. Good thing he didn't come in this season, wont have done much good for his confidence.

Martinelli was actually pretty well known, he apparently had 4 trials at Man utd, but they rejected because they have Chong.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54912 on: January 23, 2020, 01:30:57 pm »
Fuck it, I still like Luiz
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54913 on: January 23, 2020, 01:44:56 pm »

I think he played against us at LB when we got knocked out and he was their best player by a country mile. I don't think CB suits him at all.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54914 on: January 23, 2020, 02:19:17 pm »
I think he played against us at LB when we got knocked out and he was their best player by a country mile. I don't think CB suits him at all.

He wasn't around when Benfica knocked us out the Champions League, it was the Europe League game a couple of seasons later that he played in. We lost the first leg 2-1 when their whole team acted like pricks (and the referee), but then we dicked them in the second leg.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #54915 on: February 2, 2020, 03:40:44 pm »
Something I didn't figure out until I ran another check at the table is that Arsenal went out of mathematical contention to win the Premier League on 1 February  :o

1 February.

Arsenal.

Wow.

Even if they won today and the 13 remaining fixtures they'd end at 72 points. We're at 73 with three months to play  ;D In the Premier League 1992-2020 table, we've cut the deficit from 106 to 63 points with 1/3 of the season yet to go!
« Last Edit: February 2, 2020, 03:43:35 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54916 on: February 2, 2020, 04:11:57 pm »
Watched them for the 1st time this year and they're pure gash.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54917 on: February 2, 2020, 04:15:54 pm »
I couldn't believe it when I saw on Twitter that they've only won 6 league games all season.  Because it was Twitter.  But after checking....  Wow, that's bad. 

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54918 on: February 2, 2020, 04:15:59 pm »
Something I didn't figure out until I ran another check at the table is that Arsenal went out of mathematical contention to win the Premier League on 1 February  :o

1 February.

Arsenal.

Wow.

Even if they won today and the 13 remaining fixtures they'd end at 72 points. We're at 73 with three months to play  ;D In the Premier League 1992-2020 table, we've cut the deficit from 106 to 63 points with 1/3 of the season yet to go!

Indeed ;D

Ray Houghton on talksport: If Arsenal win all their remaining games they can't  get more points than Liverpool :)

One win in eight or nine in the league under Arteta. One of the gimps on Sunday Supplement we’re going crazy over Arteta and how he’s the best young manager in world football. He’s been dreadful.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54919 on: February 2, 2020, 04:37:46 pm »
Indeed ;D

One win in eight or nine in the league under Arteta. One of the gimps on Sunday Supplement we’re going crazy over Arteta and how he’s the best young manager in world football. He’s been dreadful.

Don't think he's been dreadful. He's taken over a team low in confidence, looked shockingly unorganised with injuries & suspensions affecting what he can put out.

If you've watched the Arsenal games, it's obvious he's made an improvement, although results are still mixed. We've probably had 2 poor performances, today and against Sheffield Utd.

That's not to say he doesn't have a fair bit work to do though. He's improved the defensive side. We've got work to do on the offensive side.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2020, 04:39:43 pm by ScottishGoon »