Author Topic: Prince Phillip has died  (Read 35987 times)

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Prince Phillip has died
« Reply #680 on: April 17, 2021, 03:59:51 pm »
Apologies Red Berry, that was insensitive of me.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #681 on: April 17, 2021, 04:04:32 pm »
Well I thought Camilla looked quite good with a mask on - so I suppose I will be accused of being some kind of horse shagger now.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #682 on: April 17, 2021, 04:23:53 pm »
Times we are living in to an extent. Like you, I'm  no royalist but I find all the hatred that people have so trying. I just don't think it can be good for people to get so frustrated about this. Yes the coverage is over the top, but go and do something else instead, it's not like there are not plenty of others things to do. I've had a great day managing to avoid everything so far, but I can understand that it affects some people, even if it doesn't me.

Hatred takes up an awful lot of energy that could be channeled into much more positive things.

I've no interest in the Royals whatsoever. If anything, I'd be in the Republican camp. All I know is a family have lost a loved one, and it doesn't matter how old that loved one is, that's very painful. The family and those who feel an attachment with the deceased, his family and what they represent should be left to mourn. The rest of us can choose to look on or not. Since he died I've not watched anything on the subject and I only knew the funeral was today because I read that a Premier League game was postponed because it clashed with it. My energies have gone into other, more productive things.

It's not a good look moaning about the coverage. There are about 200 other telly channels to watch if it's an issue. I think we have to remember that plenty of outsiders were ''wishing the Scouse bastards would shut up and move on'' when we were grieving a tragedy, and that wasn't a good look either. It's similar with so many things. If people are not emotionally invested personally, they often want to push it all away and not have to see it. This is a time for people I don't necessarily agree with to mourn their loss. I'm happy for them to do so.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #683 on: April 17, 2021, 04:28:02 pm »
The PL game that is down as postponed is for the FA Cup Semi Final tomorrow SOS, but I agree with the rest of your post

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #684 on: April 17, 2021, 04:34:08 pm »
What I find trying is this sentiment that if I don't pile onto the bandwagon I might be X, Y or Z, and that because Philip was A I must feel B, or i open myself up to cheap potshots.

It's very black and white, with no room for nuance at all.

Black and white thinking pervades humanity and will not go away unfortunately.

For instance; when I was training to be a counsellor a question came up as to whether or not we would be ok with counselling a paedophile? It's been mentioned on mental health sites I used to go on too. Thing is, yes, I would counsel a paedophile, but in the eyes of some, that means you are suspect in some way. They say how can you empathise with them if you aren't like them? Thing is, I counsel human beings, not labels.

Point I'm making being that, in the eyes of many, if you can do A, you must also sympathise with B, so that means you must be C. As you said, there is no nuance whatsoever with a lot of people. It's all black and white, and when it is, wildly inaccurate conclusions can be jumped to. This happens in all manner of scenarios.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #685 on: April 17, 2021, 04:34:42 pm »
I'm in a weird position when it comes to the Royals.

As a coherent, thinking adult, I am vehemently anti-Royal.  I feel they are well past their use-by date, although I realise the pomp and circumstance surrounding them is a great tourist pull - even from nations that would never have royalty themselves.

That said, I do feel some weird, lingering respect for them.  Maybe it's some vague triggering of the doff-capping gene, but I know a fair number of them have served their country in the military; I know the Queen herself can be a bad-ass when she wants to be (see when she gave the Saudi Arabia leader a lesson in female driving in her mid-70s); and for all his extremely racist faults, Prince Phillip was a part of the cultural furniture. 

In his own way, he was a cultural icon and his death symbolises a loss to something in the fabric of this country as a whole.  I think people are used to him essentially being a permanent fixture, and that losing him represents the passing of something, some permanence they had faith in.  It also drives home to this people that one day, probably soon, we'll lose the Queen herself.

I'm not trying to come down on one side or the other here.  I'm just trying to explain feelings and comprehend the reaction, including my own.  I understand those who have no respect at all, and want to engage in outright mockery; equally I realise these feelings are not-generation bound, and that there are people older than me here who are equally indifferent or outright hostile to royalty.

But I can't deny that I'm sad about all this.  And when I watched the gun salute, even fragments of it, I found myself choking up a little.  I don't think it's about Phillip himself for me, parse, but more likely what he represented.  Like I said, I'm by no means a royalist, but I guess it has touched something deeper in me.

Totally agree with your great post mate. I'm neither royalist or republican and am happy to just not generally take a strong interest.

But there is no need for all the hatred. If people don't like it then just ignore it and do something else. Also I do find myself filling up at the slightest things these days like when the lady won the National last week.

And today also though I've been working I think I may have got a wee bit choked for a few seconds. Definitely an age thing I reckon.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: April 17, 2021, 04:38:01 pm »
The PL game that is down as postponed is for the FA Cup Semi Final tomorrow SOS, but I agree with the rest of your post

Apologies if I'm wrong, but I read that the game between Southampton and Palace was postponed today due to clashing with the funeral.

EDIT: Ah, I get it now. Southampton are in the Semi final, hence the postponement. I lost interest in the cup ages ago, so didn't know who was in the Semis. I've clearly got my wires crossed somewhere. Cheers for the clarification.  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:43:04 pm by Son of Spion* »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: April 17, 2021, 04:48:43 pm »

For instance; when I was training to be a counsellor a question came up as to whether or not we would be ok with counselling a paedophile? It's been mentioned on mental health sites I used to go on too. Thing is, yes, I would counsel a paedophile, but in the eyes of some, that means you are suspect in some way. They say how can you empathise with them if you aren't like them? Thing is, I counsel human beings, not labels.

Point I'm making being that, in the eyes of many, if you can do A, you must also sympathise with B, so that means you must be C. As you said, there is no nuance whatsoever with a lot of people. It's all black and white, and when it is, wildly inaccurate conclusions can be jumped to. This happens in all manner of scenarios.

Aye. It's like telling a mother she MUST hate her son because he has committed murder. It is never that simple.

I am not a hateful person by nature, and I don't like having anger issues. They're horrid emotions that nobody in their right mind would choose to experience.

No worries.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #688 on: April 17, 2021, 04:51:15 pm »
Hatred takes up an awful lot of energy that could be channeled into much more positive things.

I've no interest in the Royals whatsoever. If anything, I'd be in the Republican camp. All I know is a family have lost a loved one, and it doesn't matter how old that loved one is, that's very painful. The family and those who feel an attachment with the deceased, his family and what they represent should be left to mourn. The rest of us can choose to look on or not. Since he died I've not watched anything on the subject and I only knew the funeral was today because I read that a Premier League game was postponed because it clashed with it. My energies have gone into other, more productive things.

It's not a good look moaning about the coverage. There are about 200 other telly channels to watch if it's an issue. I think we have to remember that plenty of outsiders were ''wishing the Scouse bastards would shut up and move on'' when we were grieving a tragedy, and that wasn't a good look either. It's similar with so many things. If people are not emotionally invested personally, they often want to push it all away and not have to see it. This is a time for people I don't necessarily agree with to mourn their loss. I'm happy for them to do so.

It's very much possible for a family to mourn the death of a loved one without said mourning being simulcast on every BBC channel. Many families manage to do so every day. It's such a bad faith argument to suggest that any complaints whatsoever about how the media has covered the death is a heartless denial of the need to grieve.

Coverage of general election results and COVID lockdown announcements are both events of national importance, but the BBC still provides alternative programming on its range of channels while they occur. There's no justifiable reason for last week being different.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: April 17, 2021, 05:00:57 pm »
It's very much possible for a family to mourn the death of a loved one without said mourning being simulcast on every BBC channel. Many families manage to do so every day. It's such a bad faith argument to suggest that any complaints whatsoever about how the media has covered the death is a heartless denial of the need to grieve.

Coverage of general election results and COVID lockdown announcements are both events of national importance, but the BBC still provides alternative programming on its range of channels while they occur. There's no justifiable reason for last week being different.

I do agree with you, but I've just chosen to bypass the whole thing.

If some want to complain about such blanket coverage I understand that too. I've not even suggested what you termed the ''bad faith argument.''

It's clear that many people are sick to the back teeth of the coverage and want to say so. That's fine by me. I'm just not invested enough to be either racked with grief or full of anger over the coverage though. I've not seen any coverage anyway, as it's so easy to swerve if you really want to.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: April 17, 2021, 05:03:33 pm »
Aye. It's like telling a mother she MUST hate her son because he has committed murder. It is never that simple.

I am not a hateful person by nature, and I don't like having anger issues. They're horrid emotions that nobody in their right mind would choose to experience.
I think the thing is that life is complex, and complex is scary. So it's easier to box things off in black and white terms than it is to really think them through.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: April 17, 2021, 06:34:32 pm »
Nice one mate, I appreciate it for him also :)
Sometimes it seems everyone has to be on the same side of a divided line. Life isn't like that, even on a Liverpool forum.

to be honest, this week has made me think about discussing with the other Mods how we approach the death of the Queen.

I'm certain Yorky's encounters with Betty will be enthralling, other than those encounters it may be a * thread.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: April 17, 2021, 06:44:12 pm »
I think the thing is that life is complex, and complex is scary. So it's easier to box things off in black and white terms than it is to really think them through.

It's not too dissimilar with the peer pressure you'd experience to "fit in" at school.  You're just expected to think and act in a certain way.

I realise we're all here because of a common set of denominators; we're all LFC fans and mostly leftwing, for example.  But it shouldn't be an echo chamber either. I'm just as guilty of it as anybody else on other subjects.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: April 17, 2021, 06:44:15 pm »

Good post as usual SOS mate.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #694 on: April 17, 2021, 07:34:06 pm »
Nice one mate, I appreciate it for him also :)
Sometimes it seems everyone has to be on the same side of a divided line. Life isn't like that, even on a Liverpool forum.

to be honest, this week has made me think about discussing with the other Mods how we approach the death of the Queen.

I'm certain Yorky's encounters with Betty will be enthralling, other than those encounters it may be a * thread.

We did stay at her boarding house in Prestatyn once a year so I did get to know her quite well. Lovely woman, filthy kitchen. But, yes, I'll save those tales until that terrible day when.........when Charles becomes our King.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: April 17, 2021, 08:06:21 pm »
We did stay at her boarding house in Prestatyn once a year so I did get to know her quite well. Lovely woman, filthy kitchen. But, yes, I'll save those tales until that terrible day when.........when Charles becomes our King.
What year yorky? Was it more a deterioration of her eyesight rather than a domestic neglect?
Oh, or even a cleaner strike.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #696 on: April 17, 2021, 08:29:13 pm »
What year yorky? Was it more a deterioration of her eyesight rather than a domestic neglect?
Oh, or even a cleaner strike.

There had been a cleaner strike in Prestatyn. I think it was the United Women's Broomworkers and Associated Cleaning Trades of North Wales who called the strike. This was '72. But Betty herself was a bit of her...how can I say this without offending royalists...a bit of a domestic...errr....slattern. Lovely lady, as I think I said, but you know....

I always remember her yapping to my mum at the breakfast table one time, telling some long convoluted story about Princess Anne, and her cigarette ash falling onto the yolk of my fried egg. I must have looked pleadingly at mum and Betty saw my distress. "Never mind that petal", she said, and she stuck her finger (all brown from the ciggies it was) into the egg and mixed up the ash with the runny yolk. "There you go", she said, "What you can't see won't harm you."

But I could see it. It was all brown. Mum told me later that the British aristocracy was famously dirty and never had baths. I subsequently learned from reading Eric Hobsbawm it was true.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #697 on: April 17, 2021, 08:44:59 pm »

I bet Andrew can't wait. He'll probably go as a Star Ship Commander.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #698 on: April 17, 2021, 09:21:48 pm »
It's not too dissimilar with the peer pressure you'd experience to "fit in" at school.  You're just expected to think and act in a certain way.

I realise we're all here because of a common set of denominators; we're all LFC fans and mostly leftwing, for example.  But it shouldn't be an echo chamber either. I'm just as guilty of it as anybody else on other subjects.

I must admit the wife put the funeral on and I immediately thought about when my dad died. Me and our kid were either side of my mam holding her hands.
Whatever we think of the royal brood, that was an old lady who has just lost her husband. Whatever the relationship was between them, as you say it was sad to see her sat alone with no one to hold her hand.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: April 17, 2021, 09:31:30 pm »
I must admit the wife put the funeral on and I immediately thought about when my dad died. Me and our kid were either side of my mam holding her hands.
Whatever we think of the royal brood, that was an old lady who has just lost her husband. Whatever the relationship was between them, as you say it was sad to see her sat alone with no one to hold her hand.

Saw a two minute Guardian video of the event on YouTube and there was a few seconds of the Queen sitting with her head bowed, looking very small and frail and alone.  You couldn't help but think that she was trying very hard not to sob uncontrollably.

We can take the mickey out of the size of the funeral - my dear friend Betty passed away back in February, barely a month before she turned 95.  I had to watch the service on livestream and the first thing the Deacon said was that both Betty and the congregation deserved better, and that under normal circumstances the church would have been wall to wall with mourners. 

No different here.  Under normal circumstances, there would have been heads of state, presidents, top brass from almost every country on the planet.  You can argue whether the Prince deserved that kind of a showing, but for a royal funeral of a Queen consort it was quite limited.

Comments on the video were about what you would expect and all - pretty much the reverse of this place.  Full of Tories complaining about skank socialists who hate their country and roll around in the filth for having the nerve to decry the royals (essentially).

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #700 on: April 17, 2021, 09:39:13 pm »
Saw a two minute Guardian video of the event on YouTube and there was a few seconds of the Queen sitting with her head bowed, looking very small and frail and alone.  You couldn't help but think that she was trying very hard not to sob uncontrollably.

We can take the mickey out of the size of the funeral - my dear friend Betty passed away back in February, barely a month before she turned 95.  I had to watch the service on livestream and the first thing the Deacon said was that both Betty and the congregation deserved better, and that under normal circumstances the church would have been wall to wall with mourners. 

No different here.  Under normal circumstances, there would have been heads of state, presidents, top brass from almost every country on the planet.  You can argue whether the Prince deserved that kind of a showing, but for a royal funeral of a Queen consort it was quite limited.

Comments on the video were about what you would expect and all - pretty much the reverse of this place.  Full of Tories complaining about skank socialists who hate their country and roll around in the filth for having the nerve to decry the royals (essentially).

This is the thing though he doesn't. Neither does she. No one deserves a funeral like that just because of the family they were born in to or married in to.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2021, 09:57:06 pm »
This is the thing though he doesn't. Neither does she. No one deserves a funeral like that just because of the family they were born in to or married in to.

That's the kind of funeral he would have had under normal circumstances because that's the way the world is. That's the fact, regardless of whether it's deserved.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2021, 10:14:23 pm »
That's the kind of funeral he would have had under normal circumstances because that's the way the world is. That's the fact, regardless of whether it's deserved.

From the clips I've seen this pared back funeral was dignified.

And my old man would have been well pleased seeing the Royal Marines front and centre.

And just saw a clip of Johnson in a scruffy unpressed suit and scuffed, unpolished shoes. To quote Terry Thomas - 'What a showaar'.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2021, 10:44:23 pm »
From the clips I've seen this pared back funeral was dignified.

And my old man would have been well pleased seeing the Royal Marines front and centre.

And just saw a clip of Johnson in a scruffy unpressed suit and scuffed, unpolished shoes. To quote Terry Thomas - 'What a showaar'.

Was dignified generally.  Seen William and Harry chatting.  Wonder what the rags made of that.

Sight of Andrew with a chest full of medals was less comfortable viewing, although at least he was unable to don a military uniform despite his reported demands.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2021, 10:52:32 pm »
Well I thought Camilla looked quite good with a mask on - so I suppose I will be accused of being some kind of horse shagger now.

Now?  Thought we all knew you went for a horse if there were no sheep left at the country fair.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: April 17, 2021, 10:58:07 pm »

You might find that her funeral, when it comes and if circumstances permit, will have quite a few mourners based on the job she's done, and not just on her birth.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2021, 10:59:37 pm »

Having spoken at my dad's funeral and knowing full well the emotions involved, I can't get my head around anyone wanting to dismiss the emotions of those closely related to the deceased. At least show a modicum of respect even if you don't want to be actively involved.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2021, 11:03:09 pm »
I'm just waiting for CHOPPER to join the love in
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #708 on: April 18, 2021, 08:05:18 am »
Haven´t dipped into this thread as of yet, but just posting to say I agree with pretty much everything written on this page.

I am a Republican. I find fawning over Royalty to be instinctively cringeworthy and nauseating. I am very glad to be in Spain where I have not had to see anything related to the funeral aside from a few articles.

But I don´t really see the need for the pile ons and bile either. An old fella has died. He might have been a bit racist, he might be minted, he might be a Royal, but he is not Hitler. He is basically known for a few racist wisecracks and for following the Queen around. If people want to grieve out of some weird sense of attachment, leave them to it. Change the channel or get outside now lockdown has ended.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #709 on: April 18, 2021, 08:15:33 am »
that landrover/hearse vehicle

i'm thinking of modifying my mountain bike and doing a similar thing

i'm also thinking of recording a message telling people what i really think about them - got to think about my other half though as she'll have final say even if she dies first!!!!

also thinking of having 10 stunning women turn up all fiim-star model types who sit at the back crying into their hankies

..and a couple of darkened-out windowed cadillacs that just turn p at the graveside and toss out classy wreaths that say things like 'he was a legend' or 'he made us what we are today'

all that will ultimately either make people laugh or piss them right off

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2021, 08:52:22 am »
You're probably going to need to isolate yourself from the telly, the internet and the circulation of the planet when the Queen dies.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2021, 09:06:49 am »
Haven´t dipped into this thread as of yet, but just posting to say I agree with pretty much everything written on this page.

I am a Republican. I find fawning over Royalty to be instinctively cringeworthy and nauseating. I am very glad to be in Spain where I have not had to see anything related to the funeral aside from a few articles.

But I don´t really see the need for the pile ons and bile either. An old fella has died. He might have been a bit racist, he might be minted, he might be a Royal, but he is not Hitler. He is basically known for a few racist wisecracks and for following the Queen around. If people want to grieve out of some weird sense of attachment, leave them to it. Change the channel or get outside now lockdown has ended.

Lockdown hasn't ended

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2021, 09:37:40 am »
I watched the service yesterday, intrigued by the razzmatazz, the uniforms, swords, big hats, guns, wondering how long it took for everyone to learn their lines, and how meticulous the organisation of such an event at double quick time is.  It was very interesting to see how the royal family conduct their business, I didnt really understand much of what was happening, there was a maestro priest conducting some sort of musical orchestra, a lot of it seemed to be either unintelligible English or Latin.
Prince Phillip was 99, by all means had a great life, I dont see a reason to weep as neither his life nor his passing were tragic. I feel sorry for the family, those of them who will miss him, they are still human beings regardless of the circus they live in.
On the ceremony itself, not my cup of tea, way over the top, he was neither Vito Corleone nor Jesus Christ. Obviously only of those was real.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2021, 11:02:15 am »
What are all the medals about?  I mean, Edward can't even claim they're for participation. 

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2021, 11:06:40 am »
Having spoken at my dad's funeral and knowing full well the emotions involved, I can't get my head around anyone wanting to dismiss the emotions of those closely related to the deceased. At least show a modicum of respect even if you don't want to be actively involved.

Exactly, a loss is a loss. If you can't show respect just go and do something else.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2021, 11:08:17 am »
What are all the medals about?  I mean, Edward can't even claim they're for participation. 

25 metre swimming medal
50 metre swimming medal
75 meter swimming medal
100 meter swimming medal
Fell off the diving board and got rescued by a toddler campaign medal

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2021, 11:20:22 am »
Most are ceremonial I guess.. Apart from Andrew who genuinely did earn them
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2021, 12:14:11 pm »
You might find that her funeral, when it comes and if circumstances permit, will have quite a few mourners based on the job she's done, and not just on her birth.

;D

What job has she done?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2021, 12:15:22 pm »
You're probably going to need to isolate yourself from the telly, the internet and the circulation of the planet when the Queen dies.

The only Philip stuff I see is on here, and even that's too much  ;D

Subservience should've went out with the Enlightenment.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2021, 12:16:21 pm »
;D

What job has she done?
Ceremonial head of state (to give a serious answer).

Royalty as a concept is nuts, but I quite like the separation of political and ceremonial roles of head of state.  In most countries they are the same job.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W