Author Topic: Entrepreneurs on rawk  (Read 43562 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Entrepreneurs on rawk
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2014, 11:16:09 am »
Just going to have to work out at what point I can risk letting someone I don't know loose with the technical side of things and crossing my fingers it won't be stolen.

Just get them to sign a non-disclosure, most developers will be used to doing so for the exact reasons you've said.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 11:20:54 am »
That's why I'm wary mate. Every part of what I want to do already exists in one guise or another - an app, a website, complex database - so it would be hard to say 'this is new and I want to patent it'.

Just going to have to work out at what point I can risk letting someone I don't know loose with the technical side of things and crossing my fingers it won't be stolen.

Could always go on Dragons Den :D
Can you not get grants from an enterprise board (or equivalent?)

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2014, 11:23:55 am »
That's why I'm wary mate. Every part of what I want to do already exists in one guise or another - an app, a website, complex database - so it would be hard to say 'this is new and I want to patent it'.

Could always go on Dragons Den :D

Maybe that's the risk you need to take and the essence of the thread?

Break things down into steps you need to take, at some point (seems that you are already there) there will be a major risk to consider. Think of ways to minimise the risk (suggestions already made on here) then execute the plan.

No action is worse than taking the risk.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 11:39:13 am »
I've had an idea kicking around for a few weeks, nothing spectacular or innovative, just an opportunity to make a few quid.

I've just put the plan into action thanks to this thread. I'll have a brand within a week, and be trading in time for Christmas.

Cheers all.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 11:44:44 am »
There's a great quote that I remember but not who said it. It could be an old Chinese proverb.

"When is the best time to plant a tree?", "25 years ago.", "when is the second best time to plant a tree?", "Now!".

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 11:49:28 am »
how long do patents take to set up over here on products? someone told me between 24 and 36 months. i spotted an issue and can't believe its never been produced. its a unique product really but its closest competition sells for £65
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 11:53:04 am »
how long do patents take to set up over here on products? someone told me between 24 and 36 months. i spotted an issue and can't believe its never been produced. its a unique product really but its closest competition sells for £65

They can take a while to be awarded, but you'll often be granted a patent pending in the meantime which recognises the date you submitted the patent and you're effectively covered for that time period should you be awarded the patent.

You'll need to carry out a very thorough patent search first though, as although something may not be being produced it's often likely the method for doing so has been and it's just not made it to market for one reason or another.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »
Key thing in setting up on your own has to be reward > risk, the best way to offset this is not to go all or nothing, some people will pull it off but for me I'm planning on saving the start up capital myself over time and making sure the misses keeps earning a steady salary to keep us solvent ;) so yeah point #2 find a partner who can support you both for a small period at the beggining.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 03:06:17 pm »
i think the idea that most regular jobs provide 'security' these days is a bit of a misnomer

unless you have a job with a true tier 1 company that is profitable within its sector then I just dont think anyone has so called job security these days

certainly not in the states. i think more so in the UK with different labor laws

theres a lot to be gained from going out on your own if it suits your personality

it can be fairly all consuming but I just like the flexibilty of working where and when i like

Offline Growler2

• Anny Roader
  • Roy Orbison singin for the lonely
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 03:23:26 pm »
Got my own software house that services the real estate industry. Got 5 offices in the UK and just opened in Melbourne.

But the truly amazing entrepreneurial thing about me is my ability to redefine the practices of networking and expenses that even MP's would be proud of. I"m known as Sir Lunchalot.

What is the company called out of interest

Offline Growler2

• Anny Roader
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:05 pm »

Dont worry I have worked out who you are.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 06:05:33 pm »

If you could see what I can see, when I cleaning windows ;)

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 10:11:37 pm »

God that sounds sinister....
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:47 pm »
I need to get back on the networking and lunches. Doing the work is one thing, the important thing is getting new work.

Veeraswarmy my friend!!
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:02 pm »
ha ha - got to love the 2 martini lunches  :lickin.

In my first job in the late 80s it was not unusual for some fellas to have 5+ pints at lunch time  ;D
Are you talking about first or second lunch?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2014, 10:22:52 pm »
Interesting thread.

So what breaks up the marriages then? Al and others?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:39:36 pm by Fordy »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2014, 10:30:04 pm »
Interesting thread.

So what brakes up the marriages then? Al and other?

AI puts the brakes on marriages? Sinister, is that their way of slowly taking over the world? Skynets new dastardly plan..

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2014, 11:10:25 pm »
It took you 2 years to do a 3 day course? Slow learner mate.

;D ... said i was a lazy tw*t... 3 courses spread over 2 years... begin/inter/advanced...  :thumbup
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:32 am »
Thanks mate, that's really interesting. Have saved that video to watch tomorrow.

Funnily enough I've been learning a lot of new stuff on Treehouse which is absolutely brilliant for someone with an intermediate skill set like mine. Coincidentally, one of their learning pathways is a complete course in Rails. I'll give it a go.

:o paying for training things?!

;D

I'm also in the 'got a boss idea' camp, just struggling to find the time to be able to do anything about it. Made a little start on a few things tonight, though, so thanks to the OP!

Offline Growler2

• Anny Roader
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:19 am »
God that sounds sinister....

Sorry, didn't meant to sound creepy, we work in the same industry and it just dawned on me who you are.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2014, 08:45:30 am »
Interesting thread.

We realised we wanted different things. Got married quite young. Some people like my ex see work as something they do 9-5, five days a week to pay for the weekends and two weeks holidays. I love what I do and because it's an extension of my personal interests, I don't have that strict division between work and play. It's all work and all play.

I don't think it's inevitable but if you and your partner want different things out of life then it's probably going to break down at some point anyway.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 01:50:37 pm »
I was only messing, Dan, I've not used treehouse so can't comment and if the subs keep you motivated then it's worth it.

Thinking about it, there's so much now in development, so many languages and a zillion techniques and there's always something new to look at that it must be massively confusing and intimidating for beginners. I learnt just dicking about with bits of code until I got what I wanted, appreciate it's not as easy as that these days!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 07:47:21 pm »
You got the free ebook for swift?

What I need to do, and it may well help you, too, is to make a scrum board with all the tasks you need to do, it helps to keep things in perspective because as you break each task down the whole thing becomes less daunting. I may go old school and use tape and post its but we use trello to manage ours at work and it's really fucking good - you're more motivated so it may well be good for you, i spent most of the week looking at it! mural.ly is also good for quickly sticking ideas down into a space.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2014, 10:52:40 pm »
Haha! Love it. Trello is excellent and I use it for collaborative projects, but for my own stuff, I use a board and post-its.

Nothing feels better than moving a work item into the Deployed column.

Yep! We all take turns at work to share that ace feeling around. I also love moving from 'review' to 'done' and waving goodbye to snag list tedium.

I love using trello for work because I work remotely and it means I can look at the board anytime but for my own stuff can't beat post its and real cards, plus, having to look at it everyday and there's nothing more heartbreaking that when the post it is so old it curls up and flutters to the ground.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2014, 02:56:00 am »
I'd love to have my own business and got some money to start it but simply not creative enough.

Whereas my best mate owns about 5 bars in Liverpool.

Either got it or you don't I guess.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2014, 04:52:14 am »
Great thread. Think I'm going to bookmark this one because I want to be working in this space in the future. Currently trying to meet people and make some contacts for positions when I graduate. Would appreciate any tips on that front.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2014, 10:08:33 am »
We realised we wanted different things. Got married quite young. Some people like my ex see work as something they do 9-5, five days a week to pay for the weekends and two weeks holidays. I love what I do and because it's an extension of my personal interests, I don't have that strict division between work and play. It's all work and all play.

I don't think it's inevitable but if you and your partner want different things out of life then it's probably going to break down at some point anyway.

Thanks for the reply Al.

That makes a lot of sense. I clearly don't know for sure but it does seem that a lot of business owners have had marriage breakdowns. It does tend to be with the partners they met when young and maybe it's due to the partners thinking that they should be getting all the attention like what happened when the relationship first started.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #67 on: September 2, 2014, 02:33:51 pm »
Interesting thread.

I had a very supportive wife when I started the business and it was not a bad but not great marriage

when things start going well I felt compelled to keep the over head down so im doing all the work myself

so i was in the office at 4 or 5 in the morning and getting home about 6, then I found my drinking problem became huge as I was pouring down plenty of vodka each night before back up again early doors next morning

then when the money starts coming in, she wanted to spend it without working very hard at her own job. I wanted the money to stay in the business and use it as a cushion, she wanted to spend it

we never had money discussions at home until we had more than we were use to

so marriage 1 ended

then during the recession I married the next girl I quite liked without really dating for a while

and that marriage is about to end with a final divorce next week

Ive owned my own business now for 9 years and I think after about 7 or 8 you probably have a fair handle on things by then so relationships should be easier to handle

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 2, 2014, 05:30:56 pm »
Really interesting thread to read through this. I have to say that this life would not be for me at all and I've never had any desire to set up my own business. I enjoy my job (though will be leaving soon as I've just got a promotion) but I also enjoy my free time a lot and I would never want the stress and worry that comes with setting up and running a business. I've got a hell of a lot of respect for anyone who takes the plunge though, good luck to those on here who are thinking about it.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #69 on: September 2, 2014, 05:36:55 pm »
Really interesting thread to read through this. I have to say that this life would not be for me at all and I've never had any desire to set up my own business. I enjoy my job (though will be leaving soon as I've just got a promotion) but I also enjoy my free time a lot and I would never want the stress and worry that comes with setting up and running a business. I've got a hell of a lot of respect for anyone who takes the plunge though, good luck to those on here who are thinking about it.

its clearly not for everyone, but when you get some kind of enjoyment from your job its really not that bad. Like Alan said, work is recreation on some level and it doesnt matter that you are doing it outside of the 9-5.

Personally I love the freedom of being able to work productively whenever i want and not on someone elses schedule. I can work through the night or early in the mornings and I am not tied to being stuck in a 9-5 or whenever someone else tells me to be at work.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #70 on: September 2, 2014, 07:15:19 pm »
I've been freelancing in IT for about 8 years now.

Last few years I found a niche working round a specific product in a single vertical market and have pretty consistent revenue. More than I could ever have imagined working 'full-time' with all the bonuses of control and flexibility.

I can highly recommend joining a BNI too.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 3, 2014, 03:23:24 pm »
Interesting reading the relationships angle on here. My current predicament is that my other half is unwilling to change course in life even though she hates her current lifestyle. I want to quit work and start my own business down in the South West as I love the lifestyle as does my partner. She hates her job and it makes her ill but she won't quit. I get frustrated because the sooner we take the plunge the better the chance of success.

These are the big life decisions that test a relationship I suppose.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 4, 2014, 08:52:32 am »
Might be she doesn't want to leave family, but if it's just the risk side of things, can she not take a period of leave so she can spend some time in the area and you both can really have a look at what prospects there are for life and work there?

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 5, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »
She would definitely mis her family although she says not enough to prevent moving. From a work perspective she may even be able to transfer to the area which puts her in a stronger position than me. I'd transfer tomorrow if I could and then set up from there.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 5, 2014, 11:15:02 pm »
Always thought about going out and doing something on my own.  Got relatively good experience across private and public sectors and to all intents and purposes did effectively work almost 'self employed' when I worked as a consultant.  Worked for one of the big 5 and worked for clients all over.  Few things I realised during that period; clients were willing to pay top dollar simply because you worked for one of the big consultancies.  And when I say top dollar I mean at least 4 times what I got paid for actually doing the work.  Also there were some poor 'performers' working with me on some jobs and I wondered how they'd managed to get through recruitment.

Anyway always thought about 'I could simply do this on my own for half the price and still double my salary'.  But things move on and life goes on and you get another position.  Every time I thought about it I ended up in a better job with a good package, to the extent where it became more of a risk to lose it.  Plus the wife got ill so I became the sole earner.  So it'll probably never happen now.  Not complaining like because I love what I'm currently doing and am happy with the package, plus there is little travel involved compared to when I was a consultant.

But good luck to those who are still in position and want to take the plunge.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 6, 2014, 05:01:54 am »
I get consulting offers all the time but the constant travelling puts me off. I've worked with some great consultants and a few run of the mill ones. I also have a few colleagues who have left to become consultants either with a big firm or setting up on their own.

Fair play to those who set up on their own as it is tough without a ready made client based.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 7, 2014, 01:26:54 am »
Same here. In fact, I'm seriously considering it although I don't have a degree in finance and my education while quite advanced is not exactly in demand in the consulting field even though they do hire people with science backgrounds like me.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2014, 10:33:07 am »
Couple of weeks on, who's sticking by and getting the fuck on with it? :D

I've made a board, and I have some tasks and I've completed a couple. Need more hours in the day or a return of the 'i can survive on 3 hours sleep' I had when I was in my teens.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:29 am »
Same here. In fact, I'm seriously considering it although I don't have a degree in finance and my education while quite advanced is not exactly in demand in the consulting field even though they do hire people with science backgrounds like me.

Have you considered venturing into the space of digital information products?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2014, 11:45:52 am »
Couple of weeks on, who's sticking by and getting the fuck on with it? :D

I've made a board, and I have some tasks and I've completed a couple. Need more hours in the day or a return of the 'i can survive on 3 hours sleep' I had when I was in my teens.

Got a few samples through for product test and waiting for a couple of others. I'll have to rethink my branding as the name is already in use in Canada. This wouldn't normally be a problem but in these days of social media all brands are global.