Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2009423 times)

Offline Captain Kos

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #8440 on: October 28, 2018, 10:09:37 pm »
Yep, I do agree that bobby wasn't a traditional 9. But he still played higher up the pitch, at least compared to his own teammates, except mane and salah as they  ran behind. What I'm trying to say and obviously making a poor effort of, is that he's collecting the ball far sooner in our translation, e.g. as a midfielder and rather that collecting the ball and passing it to an attacker,  he's playing as a striker and looking for an assist or a special moment on every touch, e.g. higher risk play. Hope this make a more sense
I dream of a team of Daniel Aggers!

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8441 on: October 30, 2018, 05:42:07 pm »
I just want to re-iterate, that was a filthy, dirty nutmeg :wave

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8442 on: October 31, 2018, 01:42:31 am »
funniest thing ive seen in a while

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8443 on: October 31, 2018, 03:18:25 am »
I just want to re-iterate, that was a filthy, dirty nutmeg :wave

First No SEE nutmeg ever!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8444 on: October 31, 2018, 06:13:01 am »
Ronaldinho must have done it somewhere

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #8446 on: October 31, 2018, 09:52:46 am »
Should've chipped the keeper, but then he is off form.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #8448 on: October 31, 2018, 01:22:34 pm »
Bobby is the man.  8)

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8449 on: November 5, 2018, 10:17:53 am »
He's having a pretty poor season all things considered. Mane and Salah seem to be getting the brunt of the criticism, but Mane does a lot to carry the ball up the pitch when we're pegged back, and Salah's still creating a hell of a lot and scoring.. Firmino isn't really having that big an impact on games compared to earlier seasons, PSG aside, yet it seems to be going under the radar somewhat.

Hopefully he takes it up a few levels soon.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8450 on: November 5, 2018, 10:36:16 am »
He's having a pretty poor season all things considered. Mane and Salah seem to be getting the brunt of the criticism, but Mane does a lot to carry the ball up the pitch when we're pegged back, and Salah's still creating a hell of a lot and scoring.. Firmino isn't really having that big an impact on games compared to earlier seasons, PSG aside, yet it seems to be going under the radar somewhat.

Yeah, I posted the same in the Salah thread. I'm sure you'll have Babu or POP in here shortly educating us all on how he isn't a striker and shouldn't be judged as one, even though no one does that anyway; in fact, as a front three player, I think he gets a very easy ride.

Taking average positions into account, Lacazette was Arsenal's deepest front four player on Saturday, with Aubameyang playing the 'Salah role' for them on the opposite side of the pitch. Yet he still hugely contributed to that match; snapping into tackles/interceptions from behind in an eerily Firmino way, bringing team-mates to play and scoring a brilliant goal. We're simply not getting that from Firmino at the moment. Right now he feels more of a hindrance to the team than the benefit he was for most of last season. He failed to perform a key pass, dribble, tackle, interception or win an aerial duel on Saturday.

I can only assume Klopp has huge concerns around Sturridge's fitness over 90 minutes, otherwise I can't understand how his October form hasn't earned him a place in the first XI at present. Like Salah, Firmino played a lot of minutes last campaign and has a lot of air miles on the clock. Take him out of the firing line and unleash the wiggly-armed one.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2018, 11:15:54 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8451 on: November 5, 2018, 10:46:45 am »
Agree with the above two posts. He needs to step it up he looks a bit sluggish at the minute.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #8452 on: November 5, 2018, 11:46:06 am »

Agree with a lot of this. I can't quite figure out what is causing his current lull in form.

Are teams paying more attention to him and trying to stop play going through him?

Is he being asked to play slightly deeper than he did in previous seasons? Is he taking time to adapt to this?

Is he in comparatively poor form compared to what he's been in previous seasons?

Could be a mixture of the above. I thought that with teams playing really close attention to Salah, and doubling up on him a lot, that Firmino and Mane would have a field day this season. It just hasn't happened for Firmino yet (bar the odd game). He's working his bollocks off still and contributing to the team but he's definitely playing a notch or 2 below his peak. That's goalscoring but probably more importantly his all round play as well.

So much of what has been good about our attack the last few seasons has been through Firmino's play as the central striker. He's fundamental to what we do in an attacking sense. I do wonder if his poorer form is a contributing factor to the 'struggles' of our front 3 this season. He shouldn't be dropped or anything like that. He's still contributing even if his form is patchy. I do wonder if he would benefit from a bit more rotation with Sturridge. The games coming up against the likes of Fulham might be ideal for this.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8453 on: November 5, 2018, 01:45:44 pm »

Well said. We got favorable fixtures in where he should be scoring, or creating.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8454 on: November 5, 2018, 01:59:42 pm »
Agree with a lot of this. I can't quite figure out what is causing his current lull in form.

Are teams paying more attention to him and trying to stop play going through him?

Is he being asked to play slightly deeper than he did in previous seasons? Is he taking time to adapt to this?

Is he in comparatively poor form compared to what he's been in previous seasons?

Could be a mixture of the above. I thought that with teams playing really close attention to Salah, and doubling up on him a lot, that Firmino and Mane would have a field day this season. It just hasn't happened for Firmino yet (bar the odd game). He's working his bollocks off still and contributing to the team but he's definitely playing a notch or 2 below his peak. That's goalscoring but probably more importantly his all round play as well.

So much of what has been good about our attack the last few seasons has been through Firmino's play as the central striker. He's fundamental to what we do in an attacking sense. I do wonder if his poorer form is a contributing factor to the 'struggles' of our front 3 this season. He shouldn't be dropped or anything like that. He's still contributing even if his form is patchy. I do wonder if he would benefit from a bit more rotation with Sturridge. The games coming up against the likes of Fulham might be ideal for this.

Personally think it's a combination of the two I've bolded. Theres been a fair few games/periods/instances where his passing and touches have been average - at best - this season. On the flip side, he's shown flashes of the brilliance that we were used to last season. What I don't remember seeing too much of are those moments where ball is played into his feet in that '10' position, he spins, turns and is immediately threading a ball into Mane and Mo alongside the oppositions CBs. I think that's stemmed from the aforementioned poor touches and passes a bit, but also a lot from how opponents have realised he's the key to our front three really clicking - especially with the absence of Ox driving through from CM into that '10' spot as another, alternative threat/method of feeding our wide forwards.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8455 on: November 5, 2018, 02:02:47 pm »
I don't think he has been that bad. He probably should have a few more assists to his name like the brilliant through ball he played to Mane against Red Star.

It also looks like tactically he is the one that has had to change the most. He is being shunted ever deeper and getting the ball to him hasn't been easy.

I think he hasn't been helped by midfield either. We could do with the midfield being much more creative and getting the ball to him more.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8456 on: November 5, 2018, 02:03:07 pm »
He has not contributed like he has last season, but he is also our playmaker. These types of players can blow hot and cold and he is at best warm, Coutinho also had this issue, but Firmino when he does not contribute offensively, does contribute defensively. Not sure what the solution is except play out of this rut.

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8457 on: November 5, 2018, 07:18:08 pm »
I think he needs to continue playing and get a couple of goals.

Fulham would be a good opportunity to do this.

I disagree with rotating him, especially for one of the easiest (on paper) games of the season. Wouldn't do his confidence any good.

Plus I have him in my FPL team....

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #8458 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:14 pm »
Anybody know that song for him ? A few lads were singing it on our coach on Tuesday and were drumming at clapping samba style.

Something like.

Oh Firminio... theres something that we'd like to let you know.
Si ..    Senor ... 
Cos you are the one that we adore.

Anyone ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8459 on: November 10, 2018, 02:06:16 pm »
Firmino needs a bit of bench time. His place in the team is too secure.

The front 3 need a bit of shaking up. I would have Shaqiri, Salah and Mane tomorrow and

Fabinho, Keita, Wijnaldum behind them

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8460 on: November 10, 2018, 03:59:05 pm »
Firmino needs a bit of bench time. His place in the team is too secure.

The front 3 need a bit of shaking up. I would have Shaqiri, Salah and Mane tomorrow and

Fabinho, Keita, Wijnaldum behind them

You’re defo not Klopp in disguise.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8461 on: November 10, 2018, 10:22:29 pm »
Anybody know that song for him ? A few lads were singing it on our coach on Tuesday and were drumming at clapping samba style.

Something like.

Oh Firminio... theres something that we'd like to let you know.
Si ..    Senor ... 
Cos you are the one that we adore.

Anyone ?
Heard a group of lads singing it while we were waiting to get into the stadium but can't for the life of me remember it!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #8462 on: November 11, 2018, 12:50:24 am »
Heard a group of lads singing it while we were waiting to get into the stadium but can't for the life of me remember it!

Is right .

Ive got the song in me head but cant seem to get it out in song mode from my mouth. It's been bouncing around my head for days . This song needs to get out there as its a good one.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8463 on: November 11, 2018, 02:01:18 pm »
Not convinced by Bobby in the 10 position, he does drag players around with his movement, but never seems to affect the game all that much compared to when he's up top.  Would rather see someone with more direct dribbling ability and passing range there if we're cracking on with this 4231.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #8464 on: November 11, 2018, 02:14:36 pm »
Love that even at his worst he's still creating chances for fun. Shame none of Mane, Salah and Robbo took chances Bobby created for them, it would have been great for our confidence that looked a bit eroded today.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8465 on: November 11, 2018, 02:16:35 pm »
Prefer him as the 9.

Like to see the same front 4 but Mane and Salah wide and Shaq as the #10.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #8466 on: November 11, 2018, 02:25:06 pm »
i agree that he didn't have an effective game today but that was partly our shape and partly due to luck. He did everything he could today and was very tidy. Sometimes if you watch a player very closely (ignoring the ball) then you see what they are actually doing. Today he was fine.
#JFT97

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #8467 on: November 11, 2018, 06:42:29 pm »
Firmino created five chances today - Bernardo Silva (6) was the only player in the PL who created more this weekend.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #8468 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:49 pm »
I'd sooner see him and Salah reverse roles. Let Bobby occupy defenders and allow Salah to make movements a bit later so that he can be continuously more decisive.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8469 on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:13 pm »
I'd sooner see him and Salah reverse roles. Let Bobby occupy defenders and allow Salah to make movements a bit later so that he can be continuously more decisive.

I'd prefer this. Salah played more central with Bobby last season at West Ham and it was devastating. I think Bobby is blunted a little when he plays from deeper.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8470 on: November 11, 2018, 09:20:01 pm »
Bobby is really struggling at the moment. Think he is struggling more than anyone else with our tactical changes and slackening off of our pressing game.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #8471 on: November 11, 2018, 09:56:37 pm »
Bobby is really struggling at the moment. Think he is struggling more than anyone else with our tactical changes and slackening off of our pressing game.
He created 5 chances today. Where exactly is the struggle?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8472 on: November 11, 2018, 10:01:28 pm »
He created 5 chances today. Where exactly is the struggle?

What were the other 4 other than that sweet combination with Salah in the first half?  Is there a website which details the quality of chance created?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online collytum

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8473 on: November 11, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »
I dont remember us having 5 chances, never mind Firmino creating 5 chances. He is very ineffective in his current role, dropping so deep. Frustrating watching him as we all know how good he is when playing further forward.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #8474 on: November 11, 2018, 10:50:54 pm »
He´s a genius and a key player, those who think he´s a problem at the moment are just wrong IMO. Played well today, even if he´s not at his very best at the moment.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #8475 on: November 11, 2018, 10:55:51 pm »
He's absolutely not a problem and today he was very good. He's getting the ball too deep with too many players around him at the moment though and it's harder for him to impact things. He's still probably our most important player tactically in an offensive sense though we - the midfield - just need to do better to get him in positions he can hurt the opposition.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8476 on: November 12, 2018, 02:02:12 am »
What were the other 4 other than that sweet combination with Salah in the first half?  Is there a website which details the quality of chance created?

Don't know

But there was the one he played thru for robbo in the 2nd half

And one where he miscontrolled it and it fell to mane in the 1st half, apart from that and the one you said I don't know

Our lack of a high press this season plays away from his strengths

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8477 on: November 12, 2018, 02:58:51 am »
Shows so much individual brilliance but this season it doesn't seem to be decisive all that often. Really it's only been Shaqiri, Robertson, and earlier on Milner that have really shown consistent decisiveness/end product really (and some good finishing by Mane). Fingers cross Firmino clicks soon

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8478 on: November 12, 2018, 03:21:04 am »
Analytics point out our midfield is shit when it comes to offensive output and it's affecting overall team performance.
LFC as a club spends a shit load of money on employing people to do analytics and our DoF got his job partly through analytics.
Big surprise in that one of our best and most multi faceted players is currently playing almost as a midfielder right?  Based on all the current comments I guess Firmino is just off-form and not trying to plug a hole we have, nope nothing of the sort.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #8479 on: November 12, 2018, 08:52:11 am »

Yeah this one does - https://understat.com/player/482. According to them, it was his 12th best creative performance in the league for Liverpool. However, that was down to one high value chance and four low value ones - two high value ones but nothing else would've been better, for instance.