Author Topic: Setting up multiple monitors  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Setting up multiple monitors
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:34:23 pm »
So I’ve been working from home for two months, using two monitors. My company have announced we’ll be at home for another three months at least, so I want the same set up as at work.

Currently I have a laptop and second monitor, the monitor plugged into the HDMI port of the laptop, it works a treat.

To add the third monitor I have tried the following: HDMI splitter, c to HDMI splitter. Neither work. It’s all new equipment, so my question is, is there some setting in windows I have to change, or is it a matter of the equipment simply not being compatible?

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Setting up multiple monitors
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:40:15 pm »
So I’ve been working from home for two months, using two monitors. My company have announced we’ll be at home for another three months at least, so I want the same set up as at work.

Currently I have a laptop and second monitor, the monitor plugged into the HDMI port of the laptop, it works a treat.

To add the third monitor I have tried the following: HDMI splitter, c to HDMI splitter. Neither work. It’s all new equipment, so my question is, is there some setting in windows I have to change, or is it a matter of the equipment simply not being compatible?

In settings --> Display ---> scan down and you will see "Detect"  hit that and cross your fingers  ;D

Being able to use 3 monitors would depend on the laptops graphics card though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:42:01 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 10:45:04 pm »
In settings --> Display ---> scan down and you will see "Detect"  hit that and cross your fingers  ;D

Being able to use 3 monitors would depend on the laptops graphics card though.

I think I tried that, but I will double check, thank you.

The laptop was on the cheap as I thought I’d only need it for a couple of months. The Mrs won’t be happy if I have to buy another ;D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:46:03 pm »
I imagine if it’s only a cheap one you may not be able to run 3 monitors.

Offline smithy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 12:24:04 am »
My understanding is that hdmi only supports a single display. You'd need something like this, which acts as an external video card. You'd likely need admin rights on your machine to set it up.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 01:49:02 am »
Could you use a laptop as a second screen connected to a PC? Asking for a friend.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 09:02:03 am »
My understanding is that hdmi only supports a single display. You'd need something like this, which acts as an external video card. You'd likely need admin rights on your machine to set it up.

Yes, that's true about HDMI.

-

I think we need to know more about the laptop, it needs another kind of port, anything really - another HDMI slot, even VGA. DisplayPort would be preferable as it can be split, but if there's just one HDMI port it's going to involve extra equipment.

OP, you can also add a second monitor via USB with the HDMI to USB converter, see for example this on Amazon. The idea here is the converter does the bulk of the work but there will still be obvious hard limits if your laptop is running stuff across three screens! I don't think there's a for-sure way to check if this idea is doomed or not but the laptop model would help
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:29:22 am by ToneLa »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 10:06:57 am »
Could you use a laptop as a second screen connected to a PC? Asking for a friend.

Yeah it's doable

In a nutshell you can't just stick a normal HDMI cable between them as output/input are different.. Assuming Windows 10 here, the idea is you project your screen onto the laptop's. This tech is called Miracast, and is done wirelessly (so both your PC and laptop would be on wifi - they talk to eachother through their wireless adapters)*

Hit Windows key & P - you should see some projection options there. For example click Extend. Er, if this step happens to just work, ace  :)

If not, there's tinkering to do. You can make sure your machines are setup to use Miracast by going into PC Settings > Projection Settings (just type it in): There's three boxes asking how you want to project; if they're greyed out it should say in yellow what the problem is (I'll park it there but come back if this step has any warnings in yellow text)

*Microsoft sell a cable that basically does the connection part (you know how I said both need to be on wifi?). It looks... tidy, to be fair? Worth noting

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 03:43:46 am »
Cheers for that!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2020, 07:39:50 pm »
Yes, that's true about HDMI.

-

I think we need to know more about the laptop, it needs another kind of port, anything really - another HDMI slot, even VGA. DisplayPort would be preferable as it can be split, but if there's just one HDMI port it's going to involve extra equipment.

OP, you can also add a second monitor via USB with the HDMI to USB converter, see for example this on Amazon. The idea here is the converter does the bulk of the work but there will still be obvious hard limits if your laptop is running stuff across three screens! I don't think there's a for-sure way to check if this idea is doomed or not but the laptop model would help

Thanks!

I got a sub to HDMI in the end, much better than having to fork out for a new computer.