Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 396166 times)

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2007, 10:41:55 am »
It might sound unrelated, but bear with me... what time do you feed him, and what do you feed?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2007, 10:46:20 am »
Rox,thought i'd pop in here to thanx for the advice.Took around a month to stop her,but 6 months on and she only barks occasionaly.Butchers bones work. :wave
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2007, 12:05:58 pm »
It might sound unrelated, but bear with me... what time do you feed him, and what do you feed?

Morning and about 7pm, with the Royal Canin puppy nuts (chicken flavour) for small dogs under 12 months.

:D
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2007, 03:30:55 pm »
Okey doke.  First thing is that I'd change his feeding time to earlier in the evening (between 4-5 o'clock).  Otherwise, feed them too late, and they get hyped up just in time for bedtime.  :)  Some foods are high in protein and other additives (especially puppy food, because it's designed to 'boost' them).  The earlier you feed him, the ore chance he has to tire himself out before bedtime.

When does he have his last exercise of the day?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2007, 09:36:57 pm »
Okey doke.  First thing is that I'd change his feeding time to earlier in the evening (between 4-5 o'clock).  Otherwise, feed them too late, and they get hyped up just in time for bedtime.  :)  Some foods are high in protein and other additives (especially puppy food, because it's designed to 'boost' them).  The earlier you feed him, the ore chance he has to tire himself out before bedtime.

When does he have his last exercise of the day?

He's a 6 month old puppy - his entire day is a blur of excercise :D
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2007, 09:03:31 am »
He's a 6 month old puppy - his entire day is a blur of excercise :D

What I mean is, do you take him for a walk late or anything?

Also, have a look on the food you're feeding him, and tell me how much protein it contains...ta.  :)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: August 9, 2007, 08:49:07 am »
Rox do you know anthing about removing ticks, it's about the size of a ladybird, i think they can cause Lyme disease.

I've had a search around but the advice on the web is a bit confusing ?

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2007, 10:12:59 pm »
Rox do you know anthing about removing ticks, it's about the size of a ladybird, i think they can cause Lyme disease.

I've had a search around but the advice on the web is a bit confusing ?

It's not easy to remove them as they burrow into the skin and sink their fangs in.  As they draw blood from the animal they're attached to, they grow in size...

I hate the bloody things, and it's best to have someone who knows what they're doing removing them with a proper tick remover.  If you don't do it properly, you can leave the head of the tick inside the wound, and then get the wound can get a nasty infection.

Best thing is to book in at your vet (it's something the vet nurse can do, you don't need to see a proper vet).  They can then see if they think the tick bite may become infected, and give you the proper antibiotics too.

Hope that helps.  :)

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2007, 08:07:20 pm »
It's not easy to remove them as they burrow into the skin and sink their fangs in.  As they draw blood from the animal they're attached to, they grow in size...

I hate the bloody things, and it's best to have someone who knows what they're doing removing them with a proper tick remover.  If you don't do it properly, you can leave the head of the tick inside the wound, and then get the wound can get a nasty infection.

Best thing is to book in at your vet (it's something the vet nurse can do, you don't need to see a proper vet).  They can then see if they think the tick bite may become infected, and give you the proper antibiotics too.

yea cheers mate, i fucked it up a bit.but i think i go it all out. I'll go to the vets next time. Fortunately the dog's a French bulldog and it seems to be immune to pain

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2007, 10:00:17 pm »
yea cheers mate, i fucked it up a bit.but i think i go it all out. I'll go to the vets next time. Fortunately the dog's a French bulldog and it seems to be immune to pain

You need to make sure you keep the bite area clean to avoid infection because they can get very nasty very quickly.  Use the same sort of antibactierial stuff you'd use on a human wound.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2007, 11:15:13 am »
You need to make sure you keep the bite area clean to avoid infection because they can get very nasty very quickly.  Use the same sort of antibactierial stuff you'd use on a human wound.

yea, after reading your original post i thought that might be a problem. We used some savlon spray which i've put on and the skin looks ok.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »
Our Boarder Collie has had three fits in the last month. The first two were not too bad, as he came around pretty quickly without any fuss, but the one he had last night took about ten minutes before he came out of it, and when he did he was very hungry.

Is this a common thing or should I take him the vet ASAP?

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2007, 03:01:25 pm »
Our Boarder Collie has had three fits in the last month. The first two were not too bad, as he came around pretty quickly without any fuss, but the one he had last night took about ten minutes before he came out of it, and when he did he was very hungry.

Is this a common thing or should I take him the vet ASAP?

It's not common as such, sounds like he has epilepsy.  I would absolutely take him to the Vet, but call me first I will give you some advice so you know what you're dealing with when you go.  We've had a few epileptic dogs, and the way you manage their epilepsy can make a big difference.

Okay, first thing, what food do you feed him?  Some foods can raise the likelihood of seizures.

Often while they have a fit they will wee or poo themselves involuntarily, that is just that they lose control of their bowels and bladder.

When they come round from the fit, they will often be hungry and very thristy.  The best thing you can do is give them some warm milk with honey mixed in.  This is to get his blood sugar back up as soon as possible.

Never try and stop a seizure, or try to stop him moving, just get anything out of the way that may injure him during his fit.

Will PM you my number.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2008, 08:11:32 am »

just used one of these to remove a tick from the dog and it was really easy to use, have you seen this before?

It seems like a good invention.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2008, 02:20:07 am »
Rox, some advice needed please mate.

My dog Molly, (a cross between god knows what), has developed a habit of roling in shit and to be honest, it's really making things unpleasant around here. I've had to take to washing her about five times or so in the past 6 months but I'm reluctant to continue that as I've heard it will deprive her coat/skin of natural oils or something along those lines. I also have a sneaky suspicion she's quite taken to being washed as she tends to roll in shite again within a day of washing her!

Please help me here mate as it's driving everyone up the fucking walls! Also, do you know why dogs do this? It has me boggled but I heard somewhere that it's some kind of evolutionary bi-product to do with hunting and masking their scent from their 'prey'. Pretty sure it maybe fox shit she's rolling in too as it's always the same god awful fucking smell and there's loads of foxes about our place, in the park, aswell as the estates and gardens.

Oh, and brilliant thread.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:41:07 am by macco »

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2008, 04:38:32 am »
Rox ive a strange one for you..

ive got a cavalier king charles spaniel ,and last week one of my mates called into the house (pissed) and insisted on picking up the dog even though it was petrified of him.
 After he did there was the most disgusting smell of rotten fish(i thought it was coming from him ;D) but i soon discovered it was coming from the dog anyway i bathed it twice but it still stank of fish till the next day..
so wtf was that smell? did it come from the dog being scared?have i bought a skunk ?;D ,ive had the dog for 2 years and thats the first time its smelt like that..
Indeed...

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2008, 10:17:48 am »
Rox ive a strange one for you..

ive got a cavalier king charles spaniel ,and last week one of my mates called into the house (pissed) and insisted on picking up the dog even though it was petrified of him.
 After he did there was the most disgusting smell of rotten fish(i thought it was coming from him ;D) but i soon discovered it was coming from the dog anyway i bathed it twice but it still stank of fish till the next day..
so wtf was that smell? did it come from the dog being scared?have i bought a skunk ?;D ,ive had the dog for 2 years and thats the first time its smelt like that..

I'm pretty sure that the smell comes from a gland in their bums which emits a liquid that stinks to high heaven. We had a Rottie that it used to happen to when he barked really hard at something - maybe he was barking hard because he was scared too.

*Edit*
http://www.dfordog.com/didyouknow_anal_glands.htm

Just found this.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:19:31 am by Mavis Cruet »

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2008, 10:33:00 am »
hi Rox...got a boxer that is great off the lead but pulls like hell on it, kids can't hold her and my arms ache like hell after a walk....someone suggested a canny collar.....

do you know anything about them, do they work?

cheers in advance ;)
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2008, 11:40:38 am »
wearthefoxhat, two words:  Anal glands... get your vet to empty your dog's anal glands.  It smells foul!!  :D

I heard somewhere that it's some kind of evolutionary bi-product to do with hunting and masking their scent from their 'prey'.

A superlative theory sir with just two minor flaws: One, why 'mask' yourself as a predator by rolling in the shit of an even more feared predator, and Two, why 'mask' yourself as a predator by rolling in the shit of an even more feared predator?

Now I realise that, technically speaking, that's only one flaw but I thought it was such a big one it was worth mentioning twice.   :D

It's for a basic reason - to them, it smells loooovely.  If you smell a rotting deer carcass, you're not going to eat it because to you it smells foul.  To your dog, it's a slap up meal.  Fox poo to us smells horrid, but to dogs, it smells great which is why they roll in it and then look so damned pleased about it when they strut back stinking to high heaven.

There's not a solution to this I'm afraid - your dog loves fox poo.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2008, 11:45:02 am »
I'm pretty sure that the smell comes from a gland in their bums which emits a liquid that stinks to high heaven. We had a Rottie that it used to happen to when he barked really hard at something - maybe he was barking hard because he was scared too.

*Edit*
http://www.dfordog.com/didyouknow_anal_glands.htm

Just found this.

Beat me to it!!  :D

hi Rox...got a boxer that is great off the lead but pulls like hell on it, kids can't hold her and my arms ache like hell after a walk....someone suggested a canny collar.....

do you know anything about them, do they work?

cheers in advance ;)

Most dogs pull on lead because they are excited to get somewhere.  If you make being next to you exciting, then they want to be with you...  what stuff does your Boxer like?  [toys, food, etc]

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2008, 11:53:37 am »
Hi Rox,

Recently moved house, got a 9yo boxer bitch. In our naivety we thought she'd just settle in to a new routine and adapt quickly to everything. This has obviously been a major upheaval for her and she is suffering from separation anxiety. Tried all the go out for a few seconds and gradually add more time until she gets used to it, having no effect so far.

We had some dog whisperer woman in, started going on about Amichien! bonding and stuff. Her advice included gesture eating, removing all her toys (including her Kong) if we go out stopping taking my dog for a walk. I thought this woman is talking the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. Or was she?

Is it just a case of carrying on with the slow process of increasing the time we are out or is this woman actually talking sense?
A bastion of invincibility

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2008, 12:16:47 pm »
Hi Rox,

Recently moved house, got a 9yo boxer bitch. In our naivety we thought she'd just settle in to a new routine and adapt quickly to everything. This has obviously been a major upheaval for her and she is suffering from separation anxiety. Tried all the go out for a few seconds and gradually add more time until she gets used to it, having no effect so far.

My first classic question - what do you feed her on?  Where do you leave her when you go out, and what does she do while you're out?

We had some dog whisperer woman in, started going on about Amichien! bonding and stuff. Her advice included gesture eating, removing all her toys (including her Kong) if we go out stopping taking my dog for a walk. I thought this woman is talking the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. Or was she?

If I had a barge pole, I wouldn't touch that training method with it.

I had someone who follows the same method ring and tell me it works 'across the board' on 'all dogs'.

No it doesn't I said.  She said she'd worked with 15 dogs.  I told her I've worked with over 800.  She still didn't listen.

Taking toys away is a load of bloody nonsense.  If you have a bored child, do you give them toys, or take their toys away?

Is it just a case of carrying on with the slow process of increasing the time we are out or is this woman actually talking sense?

Think of it this way; seperation anxiety is a fear of being left - therefore it's a phobia.  She's scared of being left on her own.  When dogs get stressed, they like to chew stuff...it makes them feel better.

What does she like, what are her favourite things?

And most important question - what's her name?

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »
Thanks Rox. Not great news to hear I'm basically fucked though!

Pretty sure Molly thinks she's the predator though. She hates foxes and legs it after them at any given chance. I wouldn't mess with her if I was a fox either. She looks like a mix between a staffy and a rhodesian.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30:55 pm »
I'm talking about the smell itself...  Molly's smell wouldn't be as threatening as that of a fox... so if the theory goes that they do it to smell less like a predator it doesn't succeed - it makes her smell more obvious - which if she wanted to surprise her prey wouldn't be a very good idea.

Part terrier x rhodesian would be a fiesty dog anyway so it's no surprise that she doesn't like foxes, but the smell of fox is because she likes it.  Rhodesian Ridgebacks were originally bred to hunt big game, so yes, she will have a hunting instinct, but it's unrelated to the fox poo issue.  :D

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »
Trust me to pick the shit fetishist!

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2008, 01:07:04 pm »
My first classic question - what do you feed her on?  Where do you leave her when you go out, and what does she do while you're out?

If I had a barge pole, I wouldn't touch that training method with it.

I had someone who follows the same method ring and tell me it works 'across the board' on 'all dogs'.

No it doesn't I said.  She said she'd worked with 15 dogs.  I told her I've worked with over 800.  She still didn't listen.

Taking toys away is a load of bloody nonsense.  If you have a bored child, do you give them toys, or take their toys away?

Think of it this way; seperation anxiety is a fear of being left - therefore it's a phobia.  She's scared of being left on her own.  When dogs get stressed, they like to chew stuff...it makes them feel better.

What does she like, what are her favourite things?

And most important question - what's her name?
Her name is Cassie and admittedly she is spoilt rotten (moreso by me than my wife).  She is fed on dry food, (Hill's, Wellbeloved and things like that). She had SA in our previous house when we kept her in the kitchen, this was solved by giving her a free run of the house (amongst other things, but this seemed to be the key factor). So when we moved we gave her the run of the house again. Her anxiety takes the form of chewing doorframes, although this appears to be subsiding and mainly howling. Her favourite toys are squeaky balls and filled Kongs

I'm glad you dispelled that Amichien bollocks, not taking Cass out and taking away her toys just seemed cruel. Every other piece of literature I've read mentions the importance of exercise and this bint was telling me not to take her out, I refused to follow this crap but still ended up a fair wedge out of pocket! You live and learn I suppose.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2008, 01:22:07 pm »
Rox, first off many thanks for this thread..really.
My rather mundane query is about 'worms'. I've got a SBT 3yo bitch who we have to take to the vets about 4/5 times a year to get her anal glands cleaned out, this on top of her worm tablets about every 6 weeks. Can you tell me what it is that might exacerbate this worming issue?
On the same issue - out of curiosity - apart from her scraping her bum across the floor, what is the connection with her chewing her hind paw?
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2008, 01:23:17 pm »
Her name is Cassie and admittedly she is spoilt rotten (moreso by me than my wife).  She is fed on dry food, (Hill's, Wellbeloved and things like that). She had SA in our previous house when we kept her in the kitchen, this was solved by giving her a free run of the house (amongst other things, but this seemed to be the key factor). So when we moved we gave her the run of the house again. Her anxiety takes the form of chewing doorframes, although this appears to be subsiding and mainly howling. Her favourite toys are squeaky balls and filled Kongs

I'm glad you dispelled that Amichien bollocks, not taking Cass out and taking away her toys just seemed cruel. Every other piece of literature I've read mentions the importance of exercise and this bint was telling me not to take her out, I refused to follow this crap but still ended up a fair wedge out of pocket! You live and learn I suppose.

You're not the first to be out of pocket, and won't be the last. :(  I get loads of people who ring us as a last resort, and have spent hundreds of quid on 'dog whisperers' and then they ring us and we give the advice for free.

Which specific brand of dry food is she on at the moment?  This is really important because not all dry foods are good.   I wouldn't feed her Hills at all.

Let her have her toys, let her have her kong [what do you fill it with?], and continue to take her for walks...

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2008, 01:28:54 pm »
Rox, first off many thanks for this thread..really.
My rather mundane query is about 'worms'. I've got a SBT 3yo bitch who we have to take to the vets about 4/5 times a year to get her anal glands cleaned out, this on top of her worm tablets about every 6 weeks. Can you tell me what it is that might exacerbate this worming issue?
On the same issue - out of curiosity - apart from her scraping her bum across the floor, what is the connection with her chewing her hind paw?

Anal glands and worming are two seperate issues; some dogs fill their anal glands quicker than others; some can relieve it by 'scooting' their bum along the floor - like you said.

As for worms, these are often picked up just through drinking water out on walks, etc.  Which worming tablet do you use?

As for the nibbling of her hind paw, I'm not 100 per cent sure on the technical reason for it, but when they do have full anal glads and/or worms, dogs will often chew or chase their tail...  If your SBT was docked, she doesn't have a tail to do it to, so she's using her leg.

Of course, that theory only works if she's got a docked tail...

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2008, 01:32:35 pm »
Cheers mate, I couldn't tell you what food she's on at the minute, we try to vary it and get a different flavour or brand everytime. Her kong is generally filled with grilled chicken, liver or whatever ever joint of meat we've just had. Is there much different between the pricier brand dog food (we pay between €40-€60 per 15kg) and the perceived lesser brands?

I think we are getting there very slowly with the SA, my wife can work from home for a few months which is softening the blow, hopefully by the time she has to get a 'proper job' we'll be back up to speed. 5 hours is the max she'll ever be left for.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2008, 01:49:28 pm »
Thanks for that Rox.
The worming tablet is from the vet and is Milbemax.
Your comment on the water rings true because she seems to prefer muddy water on our walks to the fresh stuff at home.
p.s. She hasn't had her tail docked.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2008, 01:53:57 pm »
The price of the food is irrelevant, actually.  Expensive doesn't mean good.  For example, Bakers Complete contains 13 E-numbers.  Other brands are just as bad with artificial preservatives and such.  You need to keep to the same brand for consistency, and to ensure that the additives aren't making her more anxious [you'd be surprised the effect it has one doggie behaviour.]  Let me know when you can which brand you're feeding at the moment, and then I can give you alternative suggestions if necessary.

What I'd do is pack her kong with Butcher's tinned dog food, and put it in the freezer overnight.  It takes them ages to get the meat out, and they love licking the meat to defrost and eat it.

Have you ever given her a nice BIG raw marrowbone from a Butcher?  Theyare great for mental stimulation, and she'd rather chew that than a doorframe....

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:15 pm »
Thanks for that Rox.
The worming tablet is from the vet and is Milbemax.
Your comment on the water rings true because she seems to prefer muddy water on our walks to the fresh stuff at home.
p.s. She hasn't had her tail docked.

Thank goodness your dog is an SBT.... this is a warning for anyone who owns a Collie, or any herding type breed - DO NOT USE MILBEMAX WORMER.  You're okay with your SBT, so don't worry.  Worming tablets are non-residual, so there is no danger you having to use them regularly.

I'd guess then that she's probably chewing her paw because it's easier than reaching her tail...

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2008, 01:59:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice mate. I'm off for a few ales now, (mainland Europe is great for dogs, I've never been to a bar or restaurant they can't go to). This helps with MY SA a lot. Think Cass enjoys it too! 

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2008, 02:11:05 pm »
Thanks again Rox.
While you're online can I pick your brains about a suitable diet for her. She's a bit bigger than the 'ideal' staff that the KC would have us believe is desirable, but she is still a bit overweight. I confess to spoiling her when it comes to her food and treats but I think it's about time I confronted the issue.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2008, 02:33:38 pm »
My puppy comes home tomorrow (eight weeks old) some of the books say she should go in my room of a night and some don’t recommend it. I don’t particularly want her in the room of a night so planned on leaving her in her cage (that’s downstairs and won’t be locked)

Are very young pups ok to be left on their own when you go to bed? 
West Highland White Terrier
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2008, 02:59:27 pm »
My puppy comes home tomorrow (eight weeks old) some of the books say she should go in my room of a night and some don’t recommend it. I don’t particularly want her in the room of a night so planned on leaving her in her cage (that’s downstairs and won’t be locked)

Are very young pups ok to be left on their own when you go to bed? 
West Highland White Terrier

I've had Westies all my life, 2 right now, and I've shown and bred them in the past.
When I've brought new one's into the house, I've kept them in either a pen or a cage, with a "ticking" clock or something that has my "smell" on it, depending on what they seem to like.
It helps to keep a similar routine to what the breeder had with the pup.
Who did you pup from?
One of mine has lung cancer and not too long to go, so I'll be getting a pup in October, sort of bittersweet, but really looking forward to the new one.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:04:15 pm by JP-65 »

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2008, 03:16:45 pm »
A breeder that I found via the Kennel Club website, she’s in Bradford so not particularly local to me but I had been to see others and I didn’t like the setup, felt a bit like a small time ‘puppy farm.  This lady has two westies as family pets not simply living in a shed.  She has one bitch left .....

She's been a big help :-)

Sorry to hear that about yours :-(
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2008, 03:28:35 pm »
If you're intending for them to sleep seperate, then do that from the get go.  Best thing is to keep a radio on low near the crate, and let them have a  teddy to snuggle up to.  With these things, you should start as you mean to go on.  :)

Thanks again Rox.
While you're online can I pick your brains about a suitable diet for her. She's a bit bigger than the 'ideal' staff that the KC would have us believe is desirable, but she is still a bit overweight. I confess to spoiling her when it comes to her food and treats but I think it's about time I confronted the issue.

What do you feed her at the moment?  And when you say she's bigger than ideal, you should decide whether she looks 'healthy'.  I see so many dogs who are underweight, and it's a battle to get weight back on them, that a dog carrying a little extra isn't too much of an issue.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2008, 03:55:42 pm »
A breeder that I found via the Kennel Club website, she’s in Bradford so not particularly local to me but I had been to see others and I didn’t like the setup, felt a bit like a small time ‘puppy farm.  This lady has two westies as family pets not simply living in a shed.  She has one bitch left .....

She's been a big help :-)

Sorry to hear that about yours :-(

You've done well then, that's always the best set up, the puppies tend to be better adjusted to home life.

Adding to Rox's point, we have a huge teddy bear, which they both love to snuggle up against.

Puppies are input in/input out, usually within 20 minutes, so make sure the pup is all "processed" before it settles down for the night.