Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 214774 times)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals

Something that Paul Lambert needs to understand.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
Seems perfect for Rodgers, a club big enough for his ego in a relatively uncompetitive league with the virtual guarantee of CL every season. Easy league titles to be had to plump out the CV for a few years (barring a serious fuck up) and poor performances in europe can be blamed on the poor quality of the league resulting in the inability of the club to attract better players. All bases covered. Perfect.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
He'll win the league a few times (maybe every season depending on Rangers revival) and gain experience in Europe. Will set him up well to go to a bigger league in a few years.

Or he could fail spectacularly.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Seems perfect for Rodgers, a club big enough for his ego in a relatively uncompetitive league with the virtual guarantee of CL every season. Easy league titles to be had to plump out the CV for a few years (barring a serious fuck up) and poor performances in europe can be blamed on the poor quality of the league resulting in the inability of the club to attract better players. All bases covered. Perfect.

Why the bitterness?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Some people seem to think Celtic are the same as Accrington Stanley 😆 Weird or What?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Continually on 11,420.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!

Pretty dim view of Rodgers that.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Some people seem to think Celtic are the same as Accrington Stanley 😆 Weird or What?
Accrington Stanley know their place, Celtic fans don't, if you came from Ireland and had to listen to the amount of gobshite Celtic supporters I had, then your opinion would be different, in their minds they are as big as Barcelona, Us, Bayern etc etc, the true European elite because they won the European Cup (fair play for that) once, but when you point out Forest have won it twice and Villa once their heads explode, and how they'd "dominate" in England because of the money available etc etc ad nauseum.

Rangers/Sevco/Old Co supporters are just as bad, but they're rancid racist xenophobic arseholes too as well as being gobshites.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
Pretty big job all things considered. He might have to have a bit more luck on the recruitment front as Celtic don't have 150 million they can afford to spend on players who never play a game.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Accrington Stanley know their place, Celtic fans don't, if you came from Ireland and had to listen to the amount of gobshite Celtic supporters I had, then your opinion would be different, in their minds they are as big as Barcelona, Us, Bayern etc etc, the true European elite because they won the European Cup (fair play for that) once, but when you point out Forest have won it twice and Villa once their heads explode, and how they'd "dominate" in England because of the money available etc etc ad nauseum.

Rangers/Sevco/Old Co supporters are just as bad, but they're rancid racist xenophobic arseholes too as well as being gobshites.

Yeah, how dare they love and boast about their club, the bastards!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pretty big job all things considered. He might have to have a bit more luck on the recruitment front as Celtic don't have 150 million they can afford to spend on players who never play a game.

He did alright at Swansea on that front. I'd say he'll probably work better on a budget looking for value.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
He did alright at Swansea on that front. I'd say he'll probably work better on a budget looking for value.
That's a lot to do with Hew Jenkins the Swansea chairman .He is completely responsible for signing players whoever the manager .
Swansea recruitment has been pretty impressive even after Rodger's left

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein

If he comes he is going to have to be looking at the Youth Academy to do its bit and do what he can to improve it further. The market from which we got players like Hooper and Wanyama has now become too inflated itself.  The scouting department needs an overhaul. They seem to like scouting enough midfielders for 3 teams. To emphasise the point, we currently have three first team strikers (and one of them is out on loan) compared to 15 midfielders.
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's a lot to do with Hew Jenkins the Swansea chairman .He is completely responsible for signing players whoever the manager .
Swansea recruitment has been pretty impressive even after Rodger's left
They spent about £5mil in preparation for the Prem. Vorm, Routledge and Danny Graham the only half decent players, and they are average at best. Rodgers and his system definitely got the best out of a limited squad.

If he sticks to a system at Celtic he should do great. If he even goes there.

I think when you can spend a lot then there's a tendency to buy good names and try and make them fit, as opposed to letting the system be king.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
know it was one game but that rangers performance against Celtic the other week makes me think they'll be much better than people expect

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan

I'm afraid so but frankly that's just how I feel. I hope he takes the job so we can stop paying him compensation.

Offline dane

• Kopite
It seems that opinion is quite divided about whether a move to Celtic is one Rodgers should take/could benefit from or not. On a quick skim of the thread the ratio of reasonably discernible opinions breaks down to about 29 positive to 16 negative so far. I think I'm in the positive camp, so 30 to 16 at the time of writing... I've taken ages to hit the post button but I'm not gonna count again.

A number of people have pointed to Neil Lennon moving from managing Celtic to managing Bolton as evidence of Celtic being a bad move for BR, but like Alonsoisared said, you can distinguish the circumstances.  Celtic was Lennon's first job in management and he was a Celtic old boy whose success might have been seen as a result of his particular fit at that club that might not translate elsewhere. Rodgers' career to date already involves considerable experience in the English league system with the main thing missing being silverware.

I think an exit stage-left to Celtic could do him well so that he can seize some trophies, gain some more European experience without tremendous pressure and have a good chance at recasting himself as a promising young manager who has accumulated valuable experience rather than a young manager who got a big chance too early. As long as BR aspires to big jobs in future there's also something to be said for taking the 'different' option and being successful rather than getting pulled into a grind and becoming known as another safe mid-table guy or a relegation scrapper, those kind of labels are hard to get rid of.

Some have mentioned the risk of failing to win at Celtic given the limited competition, but a manager can fail to meet expectations anywhere. A manager who would decline the Celtic job purely based on fear of failing to win titles might as well retire.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
Rodgers won't be going to Celtic. Which is a shame as he's still getting some money off us which he'll lose if he goes there but they can't even get close to what it would take.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
Rodgers won't be going to Celtic. Which is a shame as he's still getting some money off us which he'll lose if he goes there but they can't even get close to what it would take.
What?

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
What?

As part of his severance deal we still pay him. He loses that if he gets another job.

It's going to take a bigger wage than the 30k he'd get at Celtic for him to sacrifice what we're giving him hence why he's not interested, despite what the papers say.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA

Pretty accurate assessment of the SPL though.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
As part of his severance deal we still pay him. He loses that if he gets another job.

It's going to take a bigger wage than the 30k he'd get at Celtic for him to sacrifice what we're giving him hence why he's not interested, despite what the papers say.
Have you spoken to people close to him to ascertain he's not interested?

At the end of the day the guy needs a job. If he leaves it much longer his options will become even more limited. As others have said, Celtic is a decent size club which will provide him with a decent springboard to land a better, higher paid job in a few years time.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

How much of that is total guesswork, and how much of that is fact? Because I'm guessing you're not privy to any information at all in regards to the agreement between Rodgers and ourselves.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite

Good luck to the man.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Good luck Brendan...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
haha that's his level anyway. Shit. They'll show good character now. And he will have 4 or 5 easy league titles on the cv.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
Regardless of what people think of the SPL, glad he took the job there, get a few trophies under his belt and hopefully put up a decent fight in Europe...

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
haha that's his level anyway. Shit. They'll show good character now. And he will have 4 or 5 easy league titles on the cv.
Makes you come across as a bit of a cock that comment...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Good luck to him, it's an easy gig really but probably the biggest club domestically he's gonna get at the minute.

Offline Nut/ella

• do!
  • Legacy Fan

FFS, can't you people at least show him some respect? He gave his all with the utmost respect to the club and he gave the best season of my Liverpool supporting life. Have a word with yourselves.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's a 12 month rolling contract

Solid deal for all concerned

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
He's had a long break now, a chance to work out where it went wrong with us and a fresh opportunity.  Good luck to him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Good luck to him, perfect place for him to develop as a manager on a European level really
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Also anybody know if that means we don't owe him £10m now?
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Makes you come across as a bit of a cock that comment...
It does. And very bitter for some odd reason.

I wasn't Brendan's biggest fan in the world, but good luck to the fella. Hope he gets Celtic playing good football and gets them into Europe again.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36338244

Celtic: Brendan Rodgers is appointed manager

8 minutes ago From the section Football

Celtic have appointed Brendan Rodgers as their new manager on a 12-month rolling contract.

The 43-year-old former Liverpool, Swansea City, Reading and Watford manager takes over following the departure of Ronny Deila.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good luck to him.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
It does. And very bitter for some odd reason.

I wasn't Brendan's biggest fan in the world, but good luck to the fella. Hope he gets Celtic playing good football and gets them into Europe again.
I don't like either.

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
It's a 12 month rolling contract

Solid deal for all concerned
So were Lennon and Deila seems to be what we do now.

Delighted with this.
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36338244

Celtic: Brendan Rodgers is appointed manager

8 minutes ago From the section Football

Celtic have appointed Brendan Rodgers as their new manager on a 12-month rolling contract.

The 43-year-old former Liverpool, Swansea City, Reading and Watford manager takes over following the departure of Ronny Deila.

Either Rodgers himself or Celtic can't have been 100% sold on the appointment given a rolling 12 month contract