Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 633046 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: GAA Thread 2012
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »
Football League should be good.

Who fancies who?
Its a tricky one, hard to know weather you want a good league our a bad one, a lot of the times we've won it practically unchallenged  and gone into the championship cold because the league hasn't shown  up the weaknesses that undoubtedly come in the heat of championship battle.

Derry have always shown well down the years in the league for whatever reason, but never back it up in the championship. They've been unfortunate in recent years of losing the Bradley's at crucial times, like last year, for the entire championship. I would normally say that a reliance on two scoring forwards will never win you an All Ireland, but Dublin shown last year that anything is possible.

Bit harsh maybe Diarmuid Connolly done well in the Tyrone game, but I thought it would be nice to put in a little dig.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 08:14:18 pm »
Not bringing in new talent, sticking with old guard. We're doing the same here, but its not telling as much. Its a natural thing to happen when a county gets a gluten of top players in the one shot.

Aye, Ben O'Connor should have packed it in 2006, along with a few others

I really hope Jimmy Barry starts this team afresh. Like he did in 1997. He binned some big names in Cork hurling at that time in the wake of Limerick battering us in 96. He brought through a lot of minors and U-21's. We took a few beatings off Clare around that time but gradually the side gelled and won themselves an All Ireland in the space of just 2 years. The oldest player on the 99 All Ireland winning Cork Team was Brian Corcoran at 26. The average age of that side was just 22. I'll gladly spend another couple of years at the bottom of the hurling food chain as long as there's visible signs of progress. That's all we want really, is progress. Its hard to get excited about the championship knowing that Cork wont be in contention. On less Jimmy Barry pulls off a miracle in his first season back.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »
Meath? There's too many mulluckers on that team. They're a team full of lads you'd see in Abrakebabra at 2 in the morning, shirt hanging out, telling you about the bouncer they decked down the town. They'd really make you question Darwins theory of evolution those Meath lads. An entire planet that's largely made up of a somewhat civilized human race, yet in the midst of it all, you have this tiny mass of land in the North Atlantic that houses a county full of antisocial tinkers. How the fuck did that happen?

;D Enjoyed that.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:05 pm »
Derry @ 6/1 for Division 2 a decent bet?

Why are there no odds for Kilkenny to win the SFC?  ???

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 09:57:32 pm »
Derry @ 6/1 for Division 2 a decent bet?

Why are there no odds for Kilkenny to win the SFC?  ???

Because they aren't in it as far as I know?

Or are they? ???
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, 10:00:53 pm »
Because they aren't in it as far as I know?

Or are they? ???
Indeed they're not.

Lost every game in the league, bar one, since 2008.  :'(

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2012, 10:01:08 pm »
Anyone seen the Setanta ad for the League Campaign?

Donaghy: "Its not about rivenge"

Bald headed bean pole

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »
Indeed they're not.

Lost every game in the league, bar one, since 2008.  :'(
Your scoreless game against Leitrim being the standout, you people hold Gaelic Football with nothing other than contempt. I Dont like it when people compare Kerry with Kilkenny at least we have a bash at the hurling.

Anyone seen the Setanta ad for the League Campaign?

Donaghy: "Its not about rivenge"

Bald headed bean pole
I seen him flying around in his 2012 Volvo the last day, shmoothed job.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »
Your scoreless game against Leitrim being the standout, you people hold Gaelic Football with nothing other than contempt. I Dont like it when people compare Kerry with Kilkenny at least we have a bash at the hurling.

The one county in the country that acknowledges what a horrid, horrid sport Gaelic Football is.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2012, 10:27:38 pm »
The one county in the country that acknowledges what a horrid, horrid sport Gaelic Football is.
Ah lads now, we're right and they're all wrong, you sure you're not from Cork.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:26 pm »
Billy I think your right about JBM he'll blood a few Younguns.At least I hope he does.Looking at the performance of the u-21's last summer has given me as a hurling follower ,some hope. The one thing about cork hurling it will never be down for too long.I think JBM will install some hunger and passion back into the squad.Something thats been missing for quite a while now.Cork have been too easy to play against.Too nice,not nasty enough.

That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2012, 11:55:46 pm »
Ah lads now, we're right and they're all wrong, you sure you're not from Cork.

Not everyone's that lucky unfortunately

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 03:41:30 pm »
Erm........

How is it a horrid, horrid sport?

Admittedly not as good as Hurling both in terms of watching it and playing it but bit over the top there don't you think? Its a great sport.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »
Erm........

How is it a horrid, horrid sport?

Admittedly not as good as Hurling both in terms of watching it and playing it but bit over the top there don't you think? Its a great sport.
No doubt it's partly down to the fact that my only interest in it is as a neutral but even still, I just find it a bit boring. Indeed I went OTT calling it horrid but that was mainly in jest at KERRYKOP's comment, which was valid, we could/should make an attempt to field a semi interested/decent football team.

Offline Sinead7

• Many hands make brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our revenge will be the laughter of our children
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 06:07:48 pm »
My boys this year are Derry. 33/1 is cracking value IMO. They're a team that has it in them to break through I think. They've got a nice mix youth experience, ability and physicality. They're my number 2 team this year   

All Ireland is a step too far, however Ulster is very achievable. Had our 2 best players not been missing the final I believe we would have won. Paddy Bradley is back to his best and Eoin should be back for the championship. The younger lads have got a lot of experience in losing that final and can hopefully push on now.

Ulster is universally poor at the minute and there is nothing between Derry, Tyrone, Armagh and Down, even Donegal on a footballing level are no better.

The team which wins Ulster this year will win it on the sideline.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:10:27 pm by Irish-Kopite »
Trapps Army 2012

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »
All Ireland is a step too far, however Ulster is very achievable. Had our 2 best players not been missing the final I believe we would have won. Paddy Bradley is back to his best and Eoin should be back for the championship. W
Fancy yourselves to win Division 2 of the league?

Offline Sinead7

• Many hands make brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our revenge will be the laughter of our children
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:41 pm »
Fancy yourselves to win Division 2 of the league?

The top half of division 2 have nothing between them. Kildare will be up for it as will Tyrone. I don't think we care much about winning the league as much as getting back to Div one, however winning is a bonus. I think Galway have lost a serious amount of ground in the last few years and Meath are quite limited.

Think Kildare will win the league and we will get 2nd with Tyrone missing out.
Trapps Army 2012

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2012, 06:33:57 pm »
The top half of division 2 have nothing between them. Kildare will be up for it as will Tyrone. I don't think we care much about winning the league as much as getting back to Div one, however winning is a bonus. I think Galway have lost a serious amount of ground in the last few years and Meath are quite limited.

Think Kildare will win the league and we will get 2nd with Tyrone missing out.

I think you are doing Meath a great disservice there. To say they are quite limited is misleading. What you should have said is that we are fucking awful.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 4, 2012, 05:50:21 pm »
Very clever.

Double header at Croker.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 4, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »
Lovely goal by Penrose.

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 4, 2012, 06:04:05 pm »
Men! Any streams for the Croke Park games?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 4, 2012, 06:05:40 pm »

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 4, 2012, 06:07:29 pm »
Cheers Buddy!

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 4, 2012, 06:12:53 pm »
Oh . . .  and HON THE KINGDOM! ;)

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #64 on: February 4, 2012, 06:40:15 pm »
Haven't kept up with Gaelic in years due to a lack of RTE. Plan on changing that now though, since I've suddenly become more Irish since moving to Liverpool. Best site for streams? I'm a Derry man if that matters.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 4, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »
Lovely. Good hiding for the Dubs.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 4, 2012, 09:08:13 pm »
Lovely. Good hiding for the Dubs.
We only lost to give them a bit of false hope.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 5, 2012, 02:03:24 am »
Donegal win?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #68 on: February 5, 2012, 02:16:00 am »

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #69 on: February 5, 2012, 02:19:01 am »
I see Dublin have returned to their accustomed status of mediocrity

I was hoping last year wasn't a flash in the pan. It would be good for the game if they could actually challenge consistently

They might win it again in like 2028 or thereabouts

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 5, 2012, 09:36:50 am »
haha ;D One All Ireland in 20 odd years is it Billy? Anyway think thats the first time in a while Kerry have beat us, was gonna come eventually

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #71 on: February 5, 2012, 09:50:58 am »
Name the Rhodesia born player who holds 2 senior football All Ireland medals and name the years he won them in

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 5, 2012, 10:03:35 am »
Name the Rhodesia born player who holds 2 senior football All Ireland medals and name the years he won them in
Was it Jack the Ripper?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #73 on: February 5, 2012, 10:35:43 am »
Was it Jack the Ripper?

No. I'm surprised you don't know this. And you call yourself a Dub?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 5, 2012, 10:44:43 am »
No. I'm surprised you don't know this. And you call yourself a Dub?
Pat something or other was it? 70s? Could easily google but i wont. Fuck all to prove

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #75 on: February 5, 2012, 11:14:58 am »
Pat something or other was it? 70s? Could easily google but i wont. Fuck all to prove

Pat is correct. I'll leave the surname for someone else to have a go

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 5, 2012, 12:33:17 pm »
Had this question in a quiz a few months back. Was the only person out of 30 odd people to answer correctly.

Some got the name, others got one year, others got the two years. Nobody, other than my fine self, got all of it.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #77 on: February 6, 2012, 07:33:10 am »
It still baffles me how we lost that All Ireland.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 6, 2012, 08:00:43 am »

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #79 on: February 6, 2012, 09:48:33 am »

It was just 1 lapse in concentration that essentially out done ye

I'll remember the 2011 final as the one that Kerry threw away rather than the one that Dublin won